Old German - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Old GermanOld German

poor

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2002)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
kev5

Old German... wow, what a wonderful beer. I fancy myself a bit of a philosopher so please allow me to employ a Platonic theory to attempt to convey the euphoric experience of drinking a 40oz Old German. According to Plato every perfect thing exists in a separate world, the ideal world if you will. The only things that we humans ever get to experience are imperfect representations of things that exist in that other realm. For example, the perfect chicken wing exists, but no mouth will ever savor it... the closest we'll ever get to that are dozens of deep fried, variously seasoned imperfect attempts at perfection. "Oh cruel world, who will deliver us from this endless cycle of mediocrity?" I hear you cry. Why it's the the Pittsburgh Brewing Co.! Finally, by the grace of our creator a perfect beer! The pinnacle of whose perfection can be fully appreciated when paired with a glazed doughnut or a slice of birthday cake. And for $10.50 a case! Life is good my friends.

05-15-2009 23:12:42 | More by kev5
freemone233

Crankin', stankin', KA-Blankin' brew that I purchase regularly after visiting my Father in Maryland. OK...so it isn't the greatest beer on the block! It IS, however, noteworthy and quite good for it's origin and intention! Hoist it loud and proud!

11-29-2011 00:56:49 | More by freemone233
gartlesby

05-18-2014 23:54:59 | More by gartlesby
Barfighter

3.78/5  rDev +53.7%

I picked up a case of this for our 10th annual "Brewgiving" last November. "The world knows no finer," the German guy doing the Lyndie England; we were all quite critical at first. How surprised we were! Though the color is scary and disappointingly pale yellow, this is probably the best "cheap" canned beer I've had. The taste is complex when compared to other Pgh Brewing products and the unbelievably smooth character lets this brew go down fast and easy with no sign of stopping. A little on the carbonated side, but pretty tasty. The appearance is the downside so be sure to drink it straight from the can so you don't see it first, unless curiosity kills you. I always keep some on-hand for when the band comes over!

01-23-2006 07:27:07 | More by Barfighter
Dcbelkot

3.75/5  rDev +52.4%

07-01-2014 21:36:24 | More by Dcbelkot
jifigz

3.45/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Can poured into a pint glass.

Poured vigorously into a pint glass to generate a head that lingered longer than most adjunct lagers. The color is typical pale straw yellow. The smell is sweet with a slight metallic twinge and a little bit of hops noticeable. This beer is extremely sweet flavored. The aftertaste is a little bitter but barely enough to balance the malt of adjunct grains. The mouthfeel is light and watery. For the extremely cheap price this a damn fine American adjunct lager. I will buy it anytime I am poor. I used to drink this in high school many years ago when I didn't even really enjoy beer and certainly didn't know good beer. This is one that got me into beer drinking.

12-15-2011 18:04:41 | More by jifigz
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.38/5  rDev +37.4%

Pounder can into pint glass. Rest drank from the can.

Light golden color. Nothing amazing but not an artificial strange yellow color.

Malts, adjuncts, and faint whiff of booze.

Not bad. Actually reminds of Schlitz when it was cheap and before it got rebranded. Faint hop bitterness.

Light, seltzery, dry finish.

Not a bad. It is a cheap beer and is what it is. Worth trying.

04-06-2012 04:44:36 | More by MirkoCroCough
gkunkle

3.28/5  rDev +33.3%

Poured from a 16oz can into a nonic pint. Body is really pale, I was surprised by how clear the beer was as I poured it from the can. Head stood about 1/2in after the pour, bubbles were large, retention was poor, it quickly recedes to a thin film that only covers about half the surface of my beer. Smell is of sweet grain, and just a touch of hops. In the taste I get some sweet grain, a touch of orange. Body is thin, with light carbonation. Overall, unimpressive, but it beats Coors light, maybe I'll keep some around for my light beer friends.

01-30-2012 21:19:58 | More by gkunkle

KnNashua

New Hampshire

3.18/5  rDev +29.3%

Straight from Can

All you expect a cheap American Adjunct Lager to be but slightly better than bud et al as a little more maltyness.

Enjoy it more as it is a nostalgic choice as not available in my current area or where I lived when first drank as it was the best cheap get drunk stuff in the mountains of West Virginia when rock climbing, caving and drinking by cabins years ago.

So when outdoors in the sun and you plan to drink a bunch while doing nothing or holding one while playing frisbee - this is a good choice.

01-08-2014 19:05:27 | More by KnNashua
ClassicBrad

3.15/5  rDev +28%

I will defend this beer to death for its price. I understand its horrid reviews in the German Pilsener category but my love for it is as on the surface as can be. It's an $11 case of beer that does not offend in any way.

In a world of Natty, Beasts, and Lionheads... Old German holds my heart for the cheapest/easiest to down beer.

Obviously there are no overwhelmingly impressive characteristics about any of the five beer senses [A, S, T, Mf, or D].

Do NOT buy this beer because its a quality German Pilsener.

I DO buy this beer because I want to drink heavily or for its simple lawnmower qualities.

02-24-2008 07:06:24 | More by ClassicBrad
Spikester

3.1/5  rDev +26%

I don't really see the pilsner style here it is a better than average american macro. Malty with just a kiss of hops and very drinkable. Decent head, some lacings, and an easy drinker. Not a beer I'm lusting after but I wouldn't turn one down if offered.

04-09-2009 05:27:30 | More by Spikester
flagmantho

3.05/5  rDev +24%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsner glass. How can you not buy a beer called "Old German"?

Appearance: clear straw-hued body with a finger of pillowy white foam which dissipates quickly. Unexciting, but I've seen worse.

Smell: light malt aroma that has this very light but unfortunate plasticy tinge to it. It's not corny, which is great, but that plastic aroma just doesn't work for me.

Taste: light malt flavor with a little hop bite to it. Not much there, but no glaring flaws.

Mouthfeel: light-lager mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. I'd say it fills the bill for being refreshing.

Overall: I couldn't really rate the flavor very high because there isn't much flavor here. Still, the relative lack of off-flavors means this is a pretty decent adjunct lager.

08-17-2011 15:19:01 | More by flagmantho

benbjb

04-23-2013 22:41:24 | More by benbjb
beertunes

Washington

Poured into "can" glass. Poured a pale light gold color, like a light Ginger Ale, with just a thin cap of white head that immediately dissipated and left no lacing.

The aroma and taste were just what I expected, the neutral, bland, slightly grainy scent of the style. The body was light and fizzy, with a slightly sweet finish. Drinkability was as expected, like bubbly water. Overall, not terrible. If one would be in the mood for a beer of this type, you could do much worse (Peeber, Ranier, Heineken, I'm looking at you). There, I ticked it!

06-16-2013 23:03:58 | More by beertunes
SargeC

Japan

12-30-2011 09:24:40 | More by SargeC
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev +15.9%

For a relatively inexpensive brew, with the simplest of packaging, this beer is pretty good...I was surprised. The colour is a light gold with a pretty crown which quickly leaves..with the exception of some serious glass cling and ring...the body is weak but the taste is acceptable...well balanced and crisp.Strong skunky aroma when first decapped.

12-25-2002 18:39:11 | More by Shiloh
chickencoop

2.83/5  rDev +15%

Appearance - bright gold with a quickly disappearing head, not much lacing.
Smell - not much there, pretty generic lager taste.
Taste/ Mouthfeel - not much hops there, pretty watery and plain. Mouthfeel has a little bit of carbonation but disappears quickly.
Drinkability - I picked this up because it was in tall-boy cans and it reminded me of the old Blatz/ Regal Select beers as a kid. I knew what I was getting and I enjoyed it, not the best qualities but satisfying and I would probably get this again

08-21-2009 01:27:20 | More by chickencoop
Elimination

2.78/5  rDev +13%

Look it is, what it is....Nothing special, but when you picked up that sick pack of tall boys you were looking for in depth flavor of highly kilned malts, citrus, pine, and mango bursts dancing on your tongue from cross bred hops, a sour cherry pucker, huge twang of horse blanket, and multi level earthyness from a complex wild yeast.

No, you we're looking to get drunk cheap, and that is what this beer is good for. You made a right coice, it is almost always cheaper than pbr, and tastes fucking better. So that keeps you cool with your hipster friends.

It can stand up to budweiser, and just like it finishes quite dry, but has a spicy, peppery quality to the yeast.

Coors light, out the way for easy drinking because as soon as it goes down, you just want to continue.

And shit, I will throw out some easy to drink cheap euro lagers that seemed to be the rage in beer 15 years ago, this can of old german, is right there with you, pilsner and kolsch like, offers clean yeast profile, but with subtle spicy, earthy character to it. Its just worth it. It is one of the cheapest beers you can buy, just try it...

Why did I rate so low? Well its BA, I dont want someone to look on my highest ratings and see this in the top fucking five...I drink this beer, you should too....But we are beer geeks, and elitists so we should be ashamed for drinking something like this

12-06-2011 05:24:34 | More by Elimination
ChipMurray

2.75/5  rDev +11.8%

08-16-2013 00:56:59 | More by ChipMurray
Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.