Old German - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Old GermanOld German

poor

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.65/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is quite subdued with malt, grain, and some slight grassy aromas. Taste is much the same with a grain flavor on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with a watery, bland flavor that makes it a chore to drink. (539 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "Old German Premium Lager Beer"
12 oz. can, $10.59/24 pack case at Javie's Beverage, Phila., PA

I was pleasantly surprised by how clean this lager now is, especially given it's rank as a super economy beer. I'd tasted it many years ago and it wasn't nearly as polished.

It's a basic American adjunct lager with a crystal clear straw gold to gold body beneath an average sized head of bright white that drops readily to just a collar and leaves very little in the way of lacing.

The aroma displays a touch of apple and a hint of grainy malt but nothing more.

In the mouth it's light to light-medium in body and gently crisp.

The flavor offers the same apple and light malt note that the aroma suggests with a surprising clear note of hoppiness, which is of course fairly 'generic' in its character - if I had to guess I'd go with Cluster, but I'd also be surprised if those are even being grown anymore. It's minimally bitter, but that's all that's needed to balance it as there's really not that much malt, and it's just about as flavorful as many light beers. In fact, Bud Light has 110 calories whereas Old German only delivers 95.

That gets me to thinking... is this the same beer I tasted all those years ago, or is it even lighter than it was then? Probably not, just better brewed.

Overall it's a decent 'light' lager. I'd personally categorize it as a camping/fishing/hunting/beach/boating beer as it's definitely a "lawnmower beer". It's crisp and clean and refreshing, and at just 4.2% abv you can have more than one. (1,557 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -38.8%

A forty of Old German as old Herman flaunts his chalice full of godly nectar at us he forms a grin full of smug audacity toward us...his patrons while realizing that his joy is related to the fact that we are imbibing upon this piss that passes by his presence as he enjoys his favorite Belgian specialty served in proper glassware...fuck Herman. Anyway now that I've stated my peace...let's look at it as it forms an apple juiced tone golden body with a large bubbled overly carbonated artificially carbonated foamy white head dwindles almost instantly upon the pour leaves behind specks of scarce lacing. Aroma cooked veggies, cereal grains corn and rice some sweetness and no hop character leaves me wanting so much more. Flavor full of a crazy gag inducing sweetness with so much offness that it deserves no warning to the silly consumer (myself)...yep I knew what I was getting myself into. No clean crispness as a coating layer of grotesqueness enters my palate literally all of the undesireable flavors simply camp out on your palate no smooth or crisp characteristics to this one high carbonation that tickles the throat with each sip...sorry folks keep bottling it for the novelty it was worth my $1.59 plus tax. Drinkability...let's just say it was fun drinking this legendary western PA brew that I could definitely see why it's rep has followed it. (1,360 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -8.5%

Having spent a lot of time in Da 'Burgh, I CAN't understand why I never saw this in a CAN and had to trade for it. Oh well.

My pour resulted in a rocky finger of bone-white head with low retention. The color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose belied this being listed as a "German Pilsener". Hooey! This smelled like every other cereal-extended "American Adjunct Lager" in a CAN that I have subjected myself to since the CANQuest began. Sweetish, with that dead giveaway cereal-grain smell underlying what might otherwise be a decent beer. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy with a very light sweetness on the tongue. Finish was slightly dry and mostly tasteless. It is definitely a lawnmower beer or a nostalgia beer, but beyond that, unless you are on a CANQuest of your own, I would not recommend it. (825 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass. Appears sickly yellow with a greenish tint.

Aroma of cereal grains and cooked veggies.

Taste: A bit gritty, sweet cereal/corn flavors are dominant. Flash of tea like hops. Then back to residual sweetness but no real bad off flavors.

Mouthfeel: High level of carbonation, finishes slightly dry.

Drinkability: Always wanted to try this one. Nothing special, thats for sure. Cases run about $12.50 around here which is pretty damn cheap. Sadly, it isn't worth it. (507 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -33.8%

Nothing like seeing a beer you bought 6 of with a D+ rating, hope it is better than that.

Clear yellow colored beer with a small white head.

Smell is strongly vegetables with a very slight hop scent. This really does smell like hell!

Taste is nothing, maybe a very slight lemon flavor from hops. Club soda with lemon and that is all that is here. But unlike the smell this doesn't taste bad.

Club soda with lemon deserves a 1 for mouthfeel.

Yeah you can swallow it. I have 5 more of these damn things! Might dump them down the drain to get the Aluminum back. (563 characters)

Poured into "can" glass. Poured a pale light gold color, like a light Ginger Ale, with just a thin cap of white head that immediately dissipated and left no lacing.

The aroma and taste were just what I expected, the neutral, bland, slightly grainy scent of the style. The body was light and fizzy, with a slightly sweet finish. Drinkability was as expected, like bubbly water. Overall, not terrible. If one would be in the mood for a beer of this type, you could do much worse (Peeber, Ranier, Heineken, I'm looking at you). There, I ticked it! (546 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsner glass. How can you not buy a beer called "Old German"?

Appearance: clear straw-hued body with a finger of pillowy white foam which dissipates quickly. Unexciting, but I've seen worse.

Smell: light malt aroma that has this very light but unfortunate plasticy tinge to it. It's not corny, which is great, but that plastic aroma just doesn't work for me.

Taste: light malt flavor with a little hop bite to it. Not much there, but no glaring flaws.

Mouthfeel: light-lager mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. I'd say it fills the bill for being refreshing.

Overall: I couldn't really rate the flavor very high because there isn't much flavor here. Still, the relative lack of off-flavors means this is a pretty decent adjunct lager. (785 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -25.8%

6 pack 16 oz cans from Fred Meyer, Wilsonville. $4.59 Have never ever seen this before but i was attracted b the odd,kitchy 1930s style label art. Not even going to attempt a pour but ts just fine and dandy from the can. Aroma is typical cheap American macro-lager cereal,paper,slightly sour. Taste pretty bland, some cereal, a touch of lemon then seltza water basically Very thin..just water really on the palate. Its drinkable but barely beer..i was actually expecting more seeing the old style can (500 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -6.5%

24 fl oz. can (1 pint 8 oz.) with no apparent freshness date present. My first encounter with a can of this cheap swill, acquired at the local beer store for $1.99. Review #250 for me!

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy bright white head on top of a crystal clear, pale yellow straw colored body. Some carbonation bubbles rushing to the top & the faintest tiny sediment bits floating around. Fat sheets of lacing as the beer recedes.

S - Smell is better than expected, considering the style. Sweet dusty malt smell, slightest hop tinge, and some earthy / lemon grassy qualities to it. Not a bad nose for a cheap American adjunct lager.

T - Taste follows the nose. Crisp, sweet, earthy grains, and some lemony grass qualities present.

M - Feel is crisp & clean, with some fair carbonation and high drinkability.

Overall, definitely not the greatest beer to pass my lips, but in the realm of cheap sh**ty American adjunct lagers, this beer soars above some of the bigger brand names like Budweiser, Miller Lite, & Coors. I would liken this beer to what the Minhas Name Tag Lager tasted like. Unknown abv, but a highly drinkable beer with a more than affordable price tag.

Pittsburgh Brewing Old German Premium Lager Beer ---2.5/5 (1,275 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -34.2%

A - Typical adjunct lager appearance. Yellow beer, white fizzy head with little retention, no lacing.

S/T - Nose is acrid with cereal grains and hints of fecal matter and a bit metallic. Taste is a little less offensive than the nose, but that's not saying much.

M - Light body, very highly carbed. Finishes with a nasty residue coating the mouth.

O - Just another adjunct lager. (382 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -28.8%

For some reason, my fancy beer store started carrying this last week, so I figured for 75 cents I could take a can home and try it out for educational purposes. Note to my customers: if I recommend this to you, it's because you have somehow severely wronged me at some point in the past.
Pours a startingly clear pale yellow, topped by a fizzy white head that promply retreats to nothing. Aroma of adjunct malt and corn, with a faint whiff of cooked veggies. Palate is not as bad as others have claimed, but by that I mean only that it's not totally offensive. Slightly sour, slightly skunky, with adjunct malt providing the only character. Body is thin and fizzy. Won't be trying this again. (694 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

I don't really see the pilsner style here it is a better than average american macro. Malty with just a kiss of hops and very drinkable. Decent head, some lacings, and an easy drinker. Not a beer I'm lusting after but I wouldn't turn one down if offered. (254 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Exceptionally light yellow color, topped by a large bubbled white head. The head actually shows pretty good retention, and fades to a thin ring around the edge of the glass. The aroma is faint, with a slight grassiness and a good dose of macro beer smell. The taste is fairly crisp, with a hint of maltiness, followed by a touch of sweetness, and then actual bitterness on the finish. Nothing great, but not as offensive as many macros. The aftertaste is a lingering bitter-sweet slightly better-than- a macro taste. The mouthfeel is acceptable, and the drinkability is a little better than average. The can reads "The world knows no finer" and then right underneath it Pittsburgh Brewing Company. After drinking the beer, I'd say it means they're the best Pittsburgh Brewing, cause it sure doesn't mean the beer. But hey, for $2.50 a sixer, I'd take this over any other bargain beer any day. Heck, I'd take this over Bud any day. (930 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +8.8%

For a relatively inexpensive brew, with the simplest of packaging, this beer is pretty good...I was surprised. The colour is a light gold with a pretty crown which quickly leaves..with the exception of some serious glass cling and ring...the body is weak but the taste is acceptable...well balanced and crisp.Strong skunky aroma when first decapped. (349 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -36.5%

A: Pours a yellow-straw color with some irregular bubbles of carbonation. The white head is initially medium-sized and foamy, although retention is lacking and the cap fades quickly. There's a light smattering of lacing, but mostly the head doesn't stick around long enough to make an impact.

S: Rough, cereal graininess in the nose. A slight herbal hop presence, but significant notes of corn and cooked vegetables keep things mostly unappealing. Also a bit of a metallic edge.

T: Cooked cereal grain flavor up front, with a mild sweetness. Definite corn and veggie character. A light kiss of herbal hops. A twangy, musty flavor is also present - sort of a club soda sourish note. Quite watery.

M: Medium-light body. Carbonation is perky and club soda-esque, which would almost make this beer refreshing if it weren't so watery and lacking in flavor.

D: This is pretty rough, even for a $2.50 sixer of cans. Too much of a funky vegetal character alongside a beer that is otherwise mediocre at best. There are better bargain-basement macros out there; I suspect this survives only out of a combination of nostalgia and novelty. (1,135 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -53.8%

Have mercy! This one really pushed me around before pushing me down. It was so crummy tatsing that I didn't know what to say. I talked to my friend's dad who said even he wouldn't touch it back in the day (and he regularly drinks Stroh's and PBR). It gave me a horrible physical and spiritual hangover that lasted two days. I cried. No lie. Still, if you want to talk about paying your dues, you better start out by battling the huns. (434 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -9.6%

A- Pale Straw with a small, white, foamy, quickly diminishing head.
S- Quite the adjunct stink. Cooked corn with a little cereal.
T- OK. It’s not good but it’s an improvement over the nose. Adjunct-heavy, yes, but some semi-decent grainy malt and some hops dryness on the finish.
M- Light body, watery texture turning dry, moderate carbonation
D- Nothing good, but a decent lawn-moving beer. Best thing about this beer is that it’s cheap. (445 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -11.2%

Got the "Value Pack" 24 cans from Beer World in Pa and wanted to try this cheap PBC beer that might be as good as Evil Eye Honey Brown and just as light on the wallet.

It pours light, clear and with a good head and plenty of carb bubbles so it wins points as slightly above average in appearence. A little skunk to the smell so just below. It smells like any other lager.

It's average washing across the palette , just like any beer. Taste?

I drank several of these from the can at my first and second sitting, trying to see if this would be a good everyday drinker.. Lots of corn and water with a slight alcohol flavor. It mixed okay, but was very light on flavors. Only when I had this in a glass could I taste a metallic twinge. As a "german pilsner" it is slightly different than many Americans and tastes better than the cheapest American macro but it just didn't hold my taste. I switched beers after 2 each time. I also have to wonder about it's affects on the system after having a few. (German Screamers?) (1,024 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -10.8%

My wife and I were in a cheap lager mood so I ventured out to find something that fit the bill. Sadly, none of our usual were available, and I sure as hell wasn't going to buy Coors, so I came home with this silly beer. Packaging is a 16oz can that looks as generic as the dog food my grandpa gave his hunting dogs.

Pours just this side of clear with a subtle dose of carbonation. A rather sad looking beer, so I'll drink the rest from the can.

Aroma is weak, and suggests that malt might have been included in the brewing process somewhere.

Taste is similarly weak. There's no single item to point out flaw with, but nothing really to describe either. To borrow a phrase, the taste of cold compliments the beer.

Despite it's lack of complexity, it does drink way too easily and I'm left with a nice, optimistic feeling about everything else, which is kind of what I was going for when I made the purchase. (918 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -15.8%

while I wish I had the pleasure of drinking out of a 40, as pictured, I'll have to survive with a 16oz can, which I inexplicably poured into a pilsner glass. habit, I suppose.

Looks like water with a drop or two of yellow food coloring. A bit of carbonation fuels a rocky and chunky white head that isn't all that bad, and leaves some nice sheets of lacing.

The aroma, on the other hand, is only saved by its relative mildness. cooked grains, almost cream-of-wheaty, with a bit of corn, a bit of spinach, and a touch of hops.

Tastes like water with a bit of beer in it. or properly, a shandy with water instead of soda. a bit grainy, a bit of wheat, a bit grassy. tastes like bubbles.

mouthfeel is spritely. like sprite. a bit sweet, a lot carbonated. a touch drying, although it may just be the immense carbonation.

wow. apparently "the world knows no finer." I beg to differ. For the price, however, I suppose it's alright, which garners a bit of a score boost. but I'd rather spend a touch more for BMC and get mass market beechwood aged flavor. I can't believe I just said that. (1,089 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -43.8%

Appearence: Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet (probably the first time this beer has ever graced a goblet) a very light yellowish gold with no head at all.

Smell: The smell is an actually bearable smell of malts with faint hop bitterness.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. That is really bad. Honestly, I don't understand why people drink something that tastes this awful. Why would you drink beer that doesn't even taste like anything? You'd think people would want something flavorful or interesting or even high proof. But, no. People flock to this garbage like flies flock to fresh dog shit on a hot day. And you know what? I bet what they're eating tastes better than this horrible mixture of fake malts, no hop bitterness, and a horrible, horrible cereal aftertaste that lingers on forever.

Drinkability and Overall: Um, I think I summed it up already. (861 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Really bad beer... bought a case. ($10). I'll wash cheap pizza down with this beer, but if that's my goal, hand me a PBR. Too sweet, oddly so. Skunky fruit/vegetable aromas going on. Yeah, this is barely beer. But it does say on the can "America Knows no Finer" so it must be good. (281 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured from a 16oz can into a nonic pint. Body is really pale, I was surprised by how clear the beer was as I poured it from the can. Head stood about 1/2in after the pour, bubbles were large, retention was poor, it quickly recedes to a thin film that only covers about half the surface of my beer. Smell is of sweet grain, and just a touch of hops. In the taste I get some sweet grain, a touch of orange. Body is thin, with light carbonation. Overall, unimpressive, but it beats Coors light, maybe I'll keep some around for my light beer friends. (547 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -30.8%

Presentation: White 12 oz can, Famous Herman the German graphics pictured

Appearance: Not willing to pour this into a glass, but it appears to be a crisp, clear yellow

Smell: Grains, alcohol, very sharp

Taste: Better that a Natty, but not much. Induces slightly less grimacing

Mouthfeel: Too much carbonation, very thin also

Drinkability: Extra points for smoothness! It beats some of the bargain-barrel competition here.

Notes: Dirt-cheap, and has a certain charm to it. The world knows no finer?! (516 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.