Old German - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Old GermanOld German

poor

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.71/5  rDev +3.4%

My local craft beer store doesn't carry any BMC type beers, but the owner has a fondness for this beer, and has to pull some strings to carry it. He gave me a free can so I could see what all the fuss was about.

Appearance- Poured into a pint glass, 2 fingers of bright white head rises up, and pretty much falls right back down. The beer itself is a very transparent straw color. There was a bit of lacing trying to keep track of my big gulps.

Smell- Mostly corn with a bit of grain. The smell is really faint, which is probably a good thing in this case.

Taste- Sweet, with corn and a bit of graininess. Once the high carbonation kicks in, I pretty much loose any flavor I was tasting before. It's half adjunct lager, half carbonated spring water. There's just a little bit of metal in the finish, as well.

MF- High carbonation prickles the tongue, but isn't so high that it burns the throat like some similar style/priced beers tend to do to me.

Drinkability- I have to give this a pretty high score for drinkability because my pint glass was emptied quick, and drinking it didn't do my tongue much harm. The flavors are light, and refreshing. It's hard to believe that "Ultra" or "Light" isn't written anywhere on the can.
It's too bad I waited until winter to try this beer. This would have been a great beer to drink a case of while playing yard games in the summer. (1,379 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +18.3%

I will defend this beer to death for its price. I understand its horrid reviews in the German Pilsener category but my love for it is as on the surface as can be. It's an $11 case of beer that does not offend in any way.

In a world of Natty, Beasts, and Lionheads... Old German holds my heart for the cheapest/easiest to down beer.

Obviously there are no overwhelmingly impressive characteristics about any of the five beer senses [A, S, T, Mf, or D].

Do NOT buy this beer because its a quality German Pilsener.

I DO buy this beer because I want to drink heavily or for its simple lawnmower qualities. (605 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -10.3%

A- Pale Straw with a small, white, foamy, quickly diminishing head.
S- Quite the adjunct stink. Cooked corn with a little cereal.
T- OK. It’s not good but it’s an improvement over the nose. Adjunct-heavy, yes, but some semi-decent grainy malt and some hops dryness on the finish.
M- Light body, watery texture turning dry, moderate carbonation
D- Nothing good, but a decent lawn-moving beer. Best thing about this beer is that it’s cheap. (445 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -11.5%

My wife and I were in a cheap lager mood so I ventured out to find something that fit the bill. Sadly, none of our usual were available, and I sure as hell wasn't going to buy Coors, so I came home with this silly beer. Packaging is a 16oz can that looks as generic as the dog food my grandpa gave his hunting dogs.

Pours just this side of clear with a subtle dose of carbonation. A rather sad looking beer, so I'll drink the rest from the can.

Aroma is weak, and suggests that malt might have been included in the brewing process somewhere.

Taste is similarly weak. There's no single item to point out flaw with, but nothing really to describe either. To borrow a phrase, the taste of cold compliments the beer.

Despite it's lack of complexity, it does drink way too easily and I'm left with a nice, optimistic feeling about everything else, which is kind of what I was going for when I made the purchase. (918 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -54.2%

Have mercy! This one really pushed me around before pushing me down. It was so crummy tatsing that I didn't know what to say. I talked to my friend's dad who said even he wouldn't touch it back in the day (and he regularly drinks Stroh's and PBR). It gave me a horrible physical and spiritual hangover that lasted two days. I cried. No lie. Still, if you want to talk about paying your dues, you better start out by battling the huns. (434 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Old German, found you in the bottom of a cooler at a house party...where did you come from, no one knows, but alas, you are free to me, so why not?

OG reminds me of High Life, mild taste, silght sweetness and little to no hop character to speak of. But you were cold, and that night, you were mine. Probably the best cheap brew I've yet had, which is not a recomendation, nor a reason to buy it, but if your hand findsone of these in a cooler somewhere sometime, why not? (474 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Couldn't decide between this and a can of Miller High Life. Picked this for the "cute" factor. Oops. Even though it doesn't necessarily taste any worse, it just doesn't have that, uh...

Very pale straw pour with a short lasting head that leaves very little residual carbonation behind.

Smell... very clean, though it does have some grassy hops and slight rough raw graininess.

Taste? Not much. Hints at a beer flavor of some sort, but doesn't quite get there all the way.

You could drink a couple of these if you weren't really paying attention, but if your mouth catches up with you, you'll put it down in pretty short order. (639 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -29.4%

For some reason, my fancy beer store started carrying this last week, so I figured for 75 cents I could take a can home and try it out for educational purposes. Note to my customers: if I recommend this to you, it's because you have somehow severely wronged me at some point in the past.
Pours a startingly clear pale yellow, topped by a fizzy white head that promply retreats to nothing. Aroma of adjunct malt and corn, with a faint whiff of cooked veggies. Palate is not as bad as others have claimed, but by that I mean only that it's not totally offensive. Slightly sour, slightly skunky, with adjunct malt providing the only character. Body is thin and fizzy. Won't be trying this again. (694 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -39.3%

A forty of Old German as old Herman flaunts his chalice full of godly nectar at us he forms a grin full of smug audacity toward us...his patrons while realizing that his joy is related to the fact that we are imbibing upon this piss that passes by his presence as he enjoys his favorite Belgian specialty served in proper glassware...fuck Herman. Anyway now that I've stated my peace...let's look at it as it forms an apple juiced tone golden body with a large bubbled overly carbonated artificially carbonated foamy white head dwindles almost instantly upon the pour leaves behind specks of scarce lacing. Aroma cooked veggies, cereal grains corn and rice some sweetness and no hop character leaves me wanting so much more. Flavor full of a crazy gag inducing sweetness with so much offness that it deserves no warning to the silly consumer (myself)...yep I knew what I was getting myself into. No clean crispness as a coating layer of grotesqueness enters my palate literally all of the undesireable flavors simply camp out on your palate no smooth or crisp characteristics to this one high carbonation that tickles the throat with each sip...sorry folks keep bottling it for the novelty it was worth my $1.59 plus tax. Drinkability...let's just say it was fun drinking this legendary western PA brew that I could definitely see why it's rep has followed it. (1,360 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +41.6%

I picked up a case of this for our 10th annual "Brewgiving" last November. "The world knows no finer," the German guy doing the Lyndie England; we were all quite critical at first. How surprised we were! Though the color is scary and disappointingly pale yellow, this is probably the best "cheap" canned beer I've had. The taste is complex when compared to other Pgh Brewing products and the unbelievably smooth character lets this brew go down fast and easy with no sign of stopping. A little on the carbonated side, but pretty tasty. The appearance is the downside so be sure to drink it straight from the can so you don't see it first, unless curiosity kills you. I always keep some on-hand for when the band comes over! (723 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -44.3%

Appearence: Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet (probably the first time this beer has ever graced a goblet) a very light yellowish gold with no head at all.

Smell: The smell is an actually bearable smell of malts with faint hop bitterness.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. That is really bad. Honestly, I don't understand why people drink something that tastes this awful. Why would you drink beer that doesn't even taste like anything? You'd think people would want something flavorful or interesting or even high proof. But, no. People flock to this garbage like flies flock to fresh dog shit on a hot day. And you know what? I bet what they're eating tastes better than this horrible mixture of fake malts, no hop bitterness, and a horrible, horrible cereal aftertaste that lingers on forever.

Drinkability and Overall: Um, I think I summed it up already. (861 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -31.3%

Presentation: White 12 oz can, Famous Herman the German graphics pictured

Appearance: Not willing to pour this into a glass, but it appears to be a crisp, clear yellow

Smell: Grains, alcohol, very sharp

Taste: Better that a Natty, but not much. Induces slightly less grimacing

Mouthfeel: Too much carbonation, very thin also

Drinkability: Extra points for smoothness! It beats some of the bargain-barrel competition here.

Notes: Dirt-cheap, and has a certain charm to it. The world knows no finer?! (516 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -16%

pours a flat light golden (sort of like flat ginger ale) with no head and very little carbonation. smells of roasted corn. I had to do a "double sip" on this because it really has next to no taste. It's like diluting an average macro 50/50 with water. It's not offensive, just so mild that it's hard to put a finger on anything. It does have a bit of a husky corn aftertaste to remind you that it wasn't water that you just tried. this is light, very light. I dumped it. (470 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -11.8%

Got the "Value Pack" 24 cans from Beer World in Pa and wanted to try this cheap PBC beer that might be as good as Evil Eye Honey Brown and just as light on the wallet.

It pours light, clear and with a good head and plenty of carb bubbles so it wins points as slightly above average in appearence. A little skunk to the smell so just below. It smells like any other lager.

It's average washing across the palette , just like any beer. Taste?

I drank several of these from the can at my first and second sitting, trying to see if this would be a good everyday drinker.. Lots of corn and water with a slight alcohol flavor. It mixed okay, but was very light on flavors. Only when I had this in a glass could I taste a metallic twinge. As a "german pilsner" it is slightly different than many Americans and tastes better than the cheapest American macro but it just didn't hold my taste. I switched beers after 2 each time. I also have to wonder about it's affects on the system after having a few. (German Screamers?) (1,024 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +2.3%

Exceptionally light yellow color, topped by a large bubbled white head. The head actually shows pretty good retention, and fades to a thin ring around the edge of the glass. The aroma is faint, with a slight grassiness and a good dose of macro beer smell. The taste is fairly crisp, with a hint of maltiness, followed by a touch of sweetness, and then actual bitterness on the finish. Nothing great, but not as offensive as many macros. The aftertaste is a lingering bitter-sweet slightly better-than- a macro taste. The mouthfeel is acceptable, and the drinkability is a little better than average. The can reads "The world knows no finer" and then right underneath it Pittsburgh Brewing Company. After drinking the beer, I'd say it means they're the best Pittsburgh Brewing, cause it sure doesn't mean the beer. But hey, for $2.50 a sixer, I'd take this over any other bargain beer any day. Heck, I'd take this over Bud any day. (930 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +8%

For a relatively inexpensive brew, with the simplest of packaging, this beer is pretty good...I was surprised. The colour is a light gold with a pretty crown which quickly leaves..with the exception of some serious glass cling and ring...the body is weak but the taste is acceptable...well balanced and crisp.Strong skunky aroma when first decapped. (349 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.