Old German - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Old GermanOld German

poor

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2002

1.5/5  rDev -39.3%

3.45/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Can poured into a pint glass.

Poured vigorously into a pint glass to generate a head that lingered longer than most adjunct lagers. The color is typical pale straw yellow. The smell is sweet with a slight metallic twinge and a little bit of hops noticeable. This beer is extremely sweet flavored. The aftertaste is a little bitter but barely enough to balance the malt of adjunct grains. The mouthfeel is light and watery. For the extremely cheap price this a damn fine American adjunct lager. I will buy it anytime I am poor. I used to drink this in high school many years ago when I didn't even really enjoy beer and certainly didn't know good beer. This is one that got me into beer drinking.

2.8/5  rDev +13.4%

Look it is, what it is....Nothing special, but when you picked up that sick pack of tall boys you were looking for in depth flavor of highly kilned malts, citrus, pine, and mango bursts dancing on your tongue from cross bred hops, a sour cherry pucker, huge twang of horse blanket, and multi level earthyness from a complex wild yeast.

No, you we're looking to get drunk cheap, and that is what this beer is good for. You made a right coice, it is almost always cheaper than pbr, and tastes fucking better. So that keeps you cool with your hipster friends.

It can stand up to budweiser, and just like it finishes quite dry, but has a spicy, peppery quality to the yeast.

Coors light, out the way for easy drinking because as soon as it goes down, you just want to continue.

And shit, I will throw out some easy to drink cheap euro lagers that seemed to be the rage in beer 15 years ago, this can of old german, is right there with you, pilsner and kolsch like, offers clean yeast profile, but with subtle spicy, earthy character to it. Its just worth it. It is one of the cheapest beers you can buy, just try it...

Why did I rate so low? Well its BA, I dont want someone to look on my highest ratings and see this in the top fucking five...I drink this beer, you should too....But we are beer geeks, and elitists so we should be ashamed for drinking something like this

Crankin', stankin', KA-Blankin' brew that I purchase regularly after visiting my Father in Maryland. OK...so it isn't the greatest beer on the block! It IS, however, noteworthy and quite good for it's origin and intention! Hoist it loud and proud!

1.5/5  rDev -39.3%

1.93/5  rDev -21.9%

6 pack 16 oz cans from Fred Meyer, Wilsonville. $4.59 Have never ever seen this before but i was attracted b the odd,kitchy 1930s style label art. Not even going to attempt a pour but ts just fine and dandy from the can. Aroma is typical cheap American macro-lager cereal,paper,slightly sour. Taste pretty bland, some cereal, a touch of lemon then seltza water basically Very thin..just water really on the palate. Its drinkable but barely beer..i was actually expecting more seeing the old style can

3.03/5  rDev +22.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Pilsner glass. How can you not buy a beer called "Old German"?

Appearance: clear straw-hued body with a finger of pillowy white foam which dissipates quickly. Unexciting, but I've seen worse.

Smell: light malt aroma that has this very light but unfortunate plasticy tinge to it. It's not corny, which is great, but that plastic aroma just doesn't work for me.

Taste: light malt flavor with a little hop bite to it. Not much there, but no glaring flaws.

Mouthfeel: light-lager mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. I'd say it fills the bill for being refreshing.

Overall: I couldn't really rate the flavor very high because there isn't much flavor here. Still, the relative lack of off-flavors means this is a pretty decent adjunct lager.

1.71/5  rDev -30.8%

A - Typical adjunct lager appearance. Yellow beer, white fizzy head with little retention, no lacing.

S/T - Nose is acrid with cereal grains and hints of fecal matter and a bit metallic. Taste is a little less offensive than the nose, but that's not saying much.

M - Light body, very highly carbed. Finishes with a nasty residue coating the mouth.

O - Just another adjunct lager.

2.48/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass. Appears sickly yellow with a greenish tint.

Aroma of cereal grains and cooked veggies.

Taste: A bit gritty, sweet cereal/corn flavors are dominant. Flash of tea like hops. Then back to residual sweetness but no real bad off flavors.

Mouthfeel: High level of carbonation, finishes slightly dry.

Drinkability: Always wanted to try this one. Nothing special, thats for sure. Cases run about $12.50 around here which is pretty damn cheap. Sadly, it isn't worth it.

1.65/5  rDev -33.2%

A: Pours a yellow-straw color with some irregular bubbles of carbonation. The white head is initially medium-sized and foamy, although retention is lacking and the cap fades quickly. There's a light smattering of lacing, but mostly the head doesn't stick around long enough to make an impact.

S: Rough, cereal graininess in the nose. A slight herbal hop presence, but significant notes of corn and cooked vegetables keep things mostly unappealing. Also a bit of a metallic edge.

T: Cooked cereal grain flavor up front, with a mild sweetness. Definite corn and veggie character. A light kiss of herbal hops. A twangy, musty flavor is also present - sort of a club soda sourish note. Quite watery.

M: Medium-light body. Carbonation is perky and club soda-esque, which would almost make this beer refreshing if it weren't so watery and lacking in flavor.

D: This is pretty rough, even for a $2.50 sixer of cans. Too much of a funky vegetal character alongside a beer that is otherwise mediocre at best. There are better bargain-basement macros out there; I suspect this survives only out of a combination of nostalgia and novelty.

2.38/5  rDev -3.6%

Having spent a lot of time in Da 'Burgh, I CAN't understand why I never saw this in a CAN and had to trade for it. Oh well.

My pour resulted in a rocky finger of bone-white head with low retention. The color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose belied this being listed as a "German Pilsener". Hooey! This smelled like every other cereal-extended "American Adjunct Lager" in a CAN that I have subjected myself to since the CANQuest began. Sweetish, with that dead giveaway cereal-grain smell underlying what might otherwise be a decent beer. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy with a very light sweetness on the tongue. Finish was slightly dry and mostly tasteless. It is definitely a lawnmower beer or a nostalgia beer, but beyond that, unless you are on a CANQuest of your own, I would not recommend it.

2.8/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance - bright gold with a quickly disappearing head, not much lacing.
Smell - not much there, pretty generic lager taste.
Taste/ Mouthfeel - not much hops there, pretty watery and plain. Mouthfeel has a little bit of carbonation but disappears quickly.
Drinkability - I picked this up because it was in tall-boy cans and it reminded me of the old Blatz/ Regal Select beers as a kid. I knew what I was getting and I enjoyed it, not the best qualities but satisfying and I would probably get this again

Old German... wow, what a wonderful beer. I fancy myself a bit of a philosopher so please allow me to employ a Platonic theory to attempt to convey the euphoric experience of drinking a 40oz Old German. According to Plato every perfect thing exists in a separate world, the ideal world if you will. The only things that we humans ever get to experience are imperfect representations of things that exist in that other realm. For example, the perfect chicken wing exists, but no mouth will ever savor it... the closest we'll ever get to that are dozens of deep fried, variously seasoned imperfect attempts at perfection. "Oh cruel world, who will deliver us from this endless cycle of mediocrity?" I hear you cry. Why it's the the Pittsburgh Brewing Co.! Finally, by the grace of our creator a perfect beer! The pinnacle of whose perfection can be fully appreciated when paired with a glazed doughnut or a slice of birthday cake. And for $10.50 a case! Life is good my friends.

3.1/5  rDev +25.5%

I don't really see the pilsner style here it is a better than average american macro. Malty with just a kiss of hops and very drinkable. Decent head, some lacings, and an easy drinker. Not a beer I'm lusting after but I wouldn't turn one down if offered.

2.19/5  rDev -11.3%

while I wish I had the pleasure of drinking out of a 40, as pictured, I'll have to survive with a 16oz can, which I inexplicably poured into a pilsner glass. habit, I suppose.

Looks like water with a drop or two of yellow food coloring. A bit of carbonation fuels a rocky and chunky white head that isn't all that bad, and leaves some nice sheets of lacing.

The aroma, on the other hand, is only saved by its relative mildness. cooked grains, almost cream-of-wheaty, with a bit of corn, a bit of spinach, and a touch of hops.

Tastes like water with a bit of beer in it. or properly, a shandy with water instead of soda. a bit grainy, a bit of wheat, a bit grassy. tastes like bubbles.

mouthfeel is spritely. like sprite. a bit sweet, a lot carbonated. a touch drying, although it may just be the immense carbonation.

wow. apparently "the world knows no finer." I beg to differ. For the price, however, I suppose it's alright, which garners a bit of a score boost. but I'd rather spend a touch more for BMC and get mass market beechwood aged flavor. I can't believe I just said that.

1.72/5  rDev -30.4%

Nothing like seeing a beer you bought 6 of with a D+ rating, hope it is better than that.

Clear yellow colored beer with a small white head.

Smell is strongly vegetables with a very slight hop scent. This really does smell like hell!

Taste is nothing, maybe a very slight lemon flavor from hops. Club soda with lemon and that is all that is here. But unlike the smell this doesn't taste bad.

Club soda with lemon deserves a 1 for mouthfeel.

Yeah you can swallow it. I have 5 more of these damn things! Might dump them down the drain to get the Aluminum back.

2.71/5  rDev +9.7%

My local craft beer store doesn't carry any BMC type beers, but the owner has a fondness for this beer, and has to pull some strings to carry it. He gave me a free can so I could see what all the fuss was about.

Appearance- Poured into a pint glass, 2 fingers of bright white head rises up, and pretty much falls right back down. The beer itself is a very transparent straw color. There was a bit of lacing trying to keep track of my big gulps.

Smell- Mostly corn with a bit of grain. The smell is really faint, which is probably a good thing in this case.

Taste- Sweet, with corn and a bit of graininess. Once the high carbonation kicks in, I pretty much loose any flavor I was tasting before. It's half adjunct lager, half carbonated spring water. There's just a little bit of metal in the finish, as well.

MF- High carbonation prickles the tongue, but isn't so high that it burns the throat like some similar style/priced beers tend to do to me.

Drinkability- I have to give this a pretty high score for drinkability because my pint glass was emptied quick, and drinking it didn't do my tongue much harm. The flavors are light, and refreshing. It's hard to believe that "Ultra" or "Light" isn't written anywhere on the can.
It's too bad I waited until winter to try this beer. This would have been a great beer to drink a case of while playing yard games in the summer.

3.1/5  rDev +25.5%

I will defend this beer to death for its price. I understand its horrid reviews in the German Pilsener category but my love for it is as on the surface as can be. It's an $11 case of beer that does not offend in any way.

In a world of Natty, Beasts, and Lionheads... Old German holds my heart for the cheapest/easiest to down beer.

Obviously there are no overwhelmingly impressive characteristics about any of the five beer senses [A, S, T, Mf, or D].

Do NOT buy this beer because its a quality German Pilsener.

I DO buy this beer because I want to drink heavily or for its simple lawnmower qualities.

2.35/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Pale Straw with a small, white, foamy, quickly diminishing head.
S- Quite the adjunct stink. Cooked corn with a little cereal.
T- OK. It’s not good but it’s an improvement over the nose. Adjunct-heavy, yes, but some semi-decent grainy malt and some hops dryness on the finish.
M- Light body, watery texture turning dry, moderate carbonation
D- Nothing good, but a decent lawn-moving beer. Best thing about this beer is that it’s cheap.

2.32/5  rDev -6.1%

My wife and I were in a cheap lager mood so I ventured out to find something that fit the bill. Sadly, none of our usual were available, and I sure as hell wasn't going to buy Coors, so I came home with this silly beer. Packaging is a 16oz can that looks as generic as the dog food my grandpa gave his hunting dogs.

Pours just this side of clear with a subtle dose of carbonation. A rather sad looking beer, so I'll drink the rest from the can.

Aroma is weak, and suggests that malt might have been included in the brewing process somewhere.

Taste is similarly weak. There's no single item to point out flaw with, but nothing really to describe either. To borrow a phrase, the taste of cold compliments the beer.

Despite it's lack of complexity, it does drink way too easily and I'm left with a nice, optimistic feeling about everything else, which is kind of what I was going for when I made the purchase.

1.2/5  rDev -51.4%

Have mercy! This one really pushed me around before pushing me down. It was so crummy tatsing that I didn't know what to say. I talked to my friend's dad who said even he wouldn't touch it back in the day (and he regularly drinks Stroh's and PBR). It gave me a horrible physical and spiritual hangover that lasted two days. I cried. No lie. Still, if you want to talk about paying your dues, you better start out by battling the huns.

1.38/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Old German, found you in the bottom of a cooler at a house party...where did you come from, no one knows, but alas, you are free to me, so why not?

OG reminds me of High Life, mild taste, silght sweetness and little to no hop character to speak of. But you were cold, and that night, you were mine. Probably the best cheap brew I've yet had, which is not a recomendation, nor a reason to buy it, but if your hand findsone of these in a cooler somewhere sometime, why not?

2.15/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Couldn't decide between this and a can of Miller High Life. Picked this for the "cute" factor. Oops. Even though it doesn't necessarily taste any worse, it just doesn't have that, uh...

Very pale straw pour with a short lasting head that leaves very little residual carbonation behind.

Smell... very clean, though it does have some grassy hops and slight rough raw graininess.

Taste? Not much. Hints at a beer flavor of some sort, but doesn't quite get there all the way.

You could drink a couple of these if you weren't really paying attention, but if your mouth catches up with you, you'll put it down in pretty short order.

1.85/5  rDev -25.1%

For some reason, my fancy beer store started carrying this last week, so I figured for 75 cents I could take a can home and try it out for educational purposes. Note to my customers: if I recommend this to you, it's because you have somehow severely wronged me at some point in the past.
Pours a startingly clear pale yellow, topped by a fizzy white head that promply retreats to nothing. Aroma of adjunct malt and corn, with a faint whiff of cooked veggies. Palate is not as bad as others have claimed, but by that I mean only that it's not totally offensive. Slightly sour, slightly skunky, with adjunct malt providing the only character. Body is thin and fizzy. Won't be trying this again.

Old German from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.