I.C. Light Berry - Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

I.C. Light Berry

I.C. Light Berry
Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Style: Light Lager
ABV: 3.80 %

LOOK: Palest of yellows with a fleeting fizzy white head that disappears instantly. Pale pale straw colored beer with fizzy carbonation bubbles rising. Pale as can be.

SMELL: Rustic aroma of cereal grains and berry flavoring.

TASTE: Fizzy soda pop like beverage with a grain flavor reminding you that this has many ingredients that a mainstream american lager may have; corn, malt extract, spent grains, rice and of course, a helping of generic slightly tart berry flavor. Ends up being sweet and fruity, with an indiscernible mixture of rasp, blue, black and straw berry flavoring.

FEEL: Light bodied, watery, well carbonated, lingering raspberry/blackberry flavor.

OVERALL: Another fruit tinged light lager from Pittsburgh brewing. A type of beer aimed at younger drinkers and women, and may sell well enough to keep as a summer offering. Personally, I just wish that Pittsburgh Brewing tries something else, like a wheat or a kolsch, or why not an Oktoberfest?. Something that resembles a real beer would be a real nice change of pace.

2.04/5  rDev +3.6%

2.75/5  rDev +39.6%

2.75/5  rDev +39.6%

1.28/5  rDev -35%

Pours a clean pale yellow, with a small white head. In the aroma, a mix of sugary blueberries and strawberries, with a faint lager like note. In the taste, well, it is a sugary blueberry in a meh light lager. A small bite and a lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry, sugary fruit skin in the aftertaste. Why? Sugary fruit, and it goes back to my thought process, if you don't like beer, don't drink it, and stop making things like this.

3.67/5  rDev +86.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I saw this in a mix-a-six and my girlfriend encouraged me to pick this one out (and I was curious! Had to say that before anyone gives me a hard time!) so let's see what it brings.

A : Pours a traditional golden lager color, with 90% transparency. The head actually sticks around a bit, layering on thick webbing around the pint walls, and initially pours about 2 fingers, receding to a ring that stays firm with the beer throughout the review.

S : It smells both like a "wine cooler from across the table" and a bag of frozen raspberries thawing on the counter top. A nice Seagrams smell mixed with (Bud? Miller? Hamms?) light, and berries.

T : This is about the perfect definition of a session beer. 3.8% and it sure drinks like it. AND...it's actually not bad. I could see myself drinking this all day long and dumping it on my head for a refresher later. There's a light malty beer flavor with mild corn and barley, but it's far from skunky or strange...and then fresh berries are added to the formula.

F : Very fizzy, very light. A good thirst quencher.

O : I'd buy this again. I'd like to see it in a 12 pack if possible for those really hot summer days.

1.65/5  rDev -16.2%

Sampled last night on 5/11/14 after the tornado sirens going off while downstairs. LOL! Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and pouted in a small 5-ounce glass 'sampler'.

Pours a pale straw-yellow in color with a thin white head that was gone in about 30 seconds. No lacing was seen as well. LOTS of carbonation. The aroma is not much really, just a hint of grain and mixed-berries. The taste is...well...horrible! Not much there at all and is pretty much like drink some soda-water with a hint of berries. No taste at all to speak of as well. Glad I only bought a single bottle of this one. The best part of this brew was the bottle.

2.25/5  rDev +14.2%

1.46/5  rDev -25.9%

This one just dropped.

Free bottle brought home and poured into a pint glass.

Champagne to straw in color. The head made a loud fizz and crashed and burned to nothing. Pretty much looks still in the glass sans a tiny ring around the surface.

Artificial berry aroma, Nutrasweet, and sulfurous fertilizer/manure stank. No picnic.

Tastes like sparkling fruit water with aspartame and a few adjuncts. Corn and sulfur. Light minerally taste, sugar substitutes, and vegetal sweetness. Tinny finish.

Thin-bodied with some soda pop fizz. Drinks like a cider.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a fruity light lager worse than this one. And, sometimes this city lets me down hard.

2.16/5  rDev +9.6%

Saw this just came out and since I was so pleasantly surprised by their mango I picked up a 6 pack from Giant Eagle.

Appearance: Same as IC Light Mango. Pale yellow with a soda like pour and head (foams up quick, then dissipates to a thin ring with no lacing)

Smell: I was hoping for a smell like IC Light Mango (I.E. mainly the typical beer scents with touches of mango and sugars.) But it seems like Iron City decided to go heavy on the fruits and it masks the beer. It smells so strongly of blueberry and strawberry that it comes off as artificial and covers up the beer smell.

Taste: The beer is so masked by the fruits that it comes off as more of a seagram's type which is disappointing because I had such high hopes from their mango.

Mouthfell: Same as their Mango. (Thin and Fizzy)

Overall: I wanted this to be so much better. I wish it had a beer backbone like their mango but its way too strong of fruit flavors. Give the mango a try but skip this.

If I could have rated this lower than a one across the board, I would have done it

I.C. Light Berry from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.