Stoney Creek Vanilla Porter - Stoney Creek Brewing Company

Stoney Creek Vanilla PorterStoney Creek Vanilla Porter

good

Stoney Creek Brewing Company

American Porter |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-15-2001)
2.08/5  rDev -43.8%

Black bodied with ruby-orange edges. Dark brown head fades out completely after a few moments.
Funky aroma of artificial vanilla (even though it is insisted that it is all natural vanilla flavors), smoke, roastedness, paper. Pretty nasty.
Tastes is big on a very off vanilla flavor. Smoked flavors loom large, though I imagine they shouldn't. Roasted malts and rotting dark fruit.
Med-Thick body becomes cloying with all the strange flavors floating around.
Contemplated dumping this, and probably should have. There is a lingering aftertaste that is nearly nausea-inducing.

cokes, Nov 20, 2002
2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

jfcaa193, Feb 19, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -29.7%

Big, creamy tan head. Totally black. Intense vanilla nose, with some chocolate, high carbonation. Not sure that I like that combo...no, I'm sure I don't. I don't enjoy vanilla enough to have it in a porter, one of my favorite styles. It's not awful, but I just don't see the point. Once the novelty of the vanilla flavor wears off, it's more like a Dr. Pepper than a true blue porter.

feloniousmonk, Dec 09, 2002
2.63/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured black with a nice light tan head with large bubbles. The aromas kinda hurt me though. They were of vegetables, grapenuts, witha background of malt, smoke, coffee and chocolate. The taste was very much the same as the aroma, with the addition of cheerios to the line up. The mouthfeel was light and creamy with light carbination. Overall drinkability of this beer is ok, if you can get past the vegetable flavors.

quasimoto, Aug 29, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -26.2%

Deep, deep brown. Head is very dark as well but is gone after 30 seconds. Just a trace of malt aromas. Malt flavor warbles in the mouth, a bit of chocolate at the finish along with the vanilla. Hops minimal at most. There's a trace of sourness at first and an off taste at the back of the mouth that is suspiciously similar to rancid vanilla beans. Body is not very impressive, either. I've got to give a thumb's down though the possibility of an old bottle might be the culprit (suggested by Brent in his review). There wasn't any dust on the bottle, though.

ADR, Apr 24, 2002
2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

I agree with the assessments that the beer might have been sitting on the shelf too long. The one I had appreared to be that way, so this review may change in the future. The color was a medium amber with a small white head. The aroma was of malt, hops and vanilla. The flavor was of malt and vanilla. The body was fairly light for trying to include vanilla in it.

Wildman, May 11, 2002
2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

Dark brown in hue, almost black, there is a tickle of ruby around the edges. The head was beige in color; at the apex the foam was one finger in height but it quickly, and loudly, faded to a thin collar and then to nothing. After a few moments the liquid was naked. Needless to say, head retention was very poor. Oh yeah, there is no subsequent lacing. The appearance is adequate, I suppose. Oh my, the nose is so rich with vanilla, I can’t believe it. The bouquet is a mixture of vanilla liquor drizzled on ice cream (I smell pecans?) and vanilla wafers. There isn’t much development beyond that… if there is some maltiness I can’t detect it because the vanilla is that loud! Wow, the vanilla is strong and this makes the nose a bit sluggish. I wish there was something more to it. Did I say the nose has a lot of vanilla? The palate offers a blast of, come on guess… yep, vanilla. Rich vanilla like good vanilla ice cream, the palate is sluggish like I’ve been drinking a big-ass vanilla shake. Cloying. I like vanilla but not this much. Sweet. Flat. Tiresome. I could really use some more malt to breakup the… god, I don’t even want to type that word again. Yuck. I love vanilla in Porters or Stouts but this is way to heavy-handed. There is something gimmicky about it. Where is anything that says, “Porter” in the smell or taste? It is Alco-pop, cream soda with alcohol. Good with food? Maybe some killer chocolate. The mouthfeel is thick, medium/medium-full in body, the carbonation is very low and this makes this beer unpleasant to drink. What a shame. I needed a little effervescence to help cut the vanilla. Drinkable? No. Is my 12-ounce bottle finishable? No. I’m not digging this simplistic, heavy handed, untalented beer. Blah. I purchased one bottle in Iowa City for $1.60. I will not be purchasing more. Not recommended.

bditty187, Apr 15, 2005
2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

When I asked my friend at the Liquor Store if he had tried this one, his only reply was – “a little too sweet.” He was being diplomatic – this is not a Porter, as much as a Chocolate Stout. It pours from the 12 oz. bottle an inky black/brown, with a lt. brown head that disappears almost instantly, no lacing. My wife thought it smelled like an open bottle of Vanilla Extract. A hint of chocolate and molasses(?), mild carbonation, followed by a very dull bitter/unsweetened chocolate finish. I suppose this beer will find a niche following – but there are better Porters out there.

palliko, May 10, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -20.8%

Black. Semi fragrant and attractive aroma highlighting the vanilla beans quite well along with the malt nose, which shows a bit of chocolate and roast. The flavor is a bit sweet with heavy vanilla and the slight hop fragrance in the nose has vanished. The malt backing, which was present in the nose, just does not back up the heavy and sweet vanilla beans. A bit sweet and a bit one dimensional.

Crosling, Mar 29, 2006

Hey, who put a cream soda in my beer?

Pours black and highlight-less, topped by a big frothy light brown head. Too bad the head drops to a thin layer way too soon, with little lacing in it's wake. Aroma has bits of vanilla, coffee, and cocoa, but it's surprisingly low-key. Taste has similar elements, but also nothing to shout about. The vanilla masks the hop qualities of the brew. Mouthfeel might be thin, but I do tend to like my porters chewy. Drinkability is easy, but desireability is just "eh". I could have another, but I'm in no real rush for one.

Lesson here: before we look to make a flavored porter, let's make an above average porter first.

This beer really impressed when I first tried it several years ago. Many beers later, I guess I'm a tougher sell.

RonfromJersey, Aug 27, 2003
3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

This is a strange beer, dark brown almost black in color, small light brown head, pleasant coffee chocolate aroma, sweet candy-like vanilla flavors, light body yet has a creamy mouthfeel, not what I expected, one is good but I wouldn't want more than one per sitting.

maxpower, Jan 09, 2003
3.05/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance is pretty standard for a porter - very dark, more brown than black, with a light brown head. The foam didn't hold very long after I poured it out, and a ring settled around the edge of the inside of the glass.

The aroma is what I enjoyed most about this brew. Very, very pleasant and sweet, reminding me more of dark chocolate. Vanilla bean is very faint and lingers ever-so softly, but chocolate and other toasted aromas are strong and constant.

Unfortunately, the taste falls a bit flat of this porter's smell. Most noticeable is the taste of the alcohol, both in the mouth and down the throat. For a 5.5% ABV, I would imagine that Stoney Creek could've done a better job to mask the content. The vanilla bean that is present in the taste comes off as toasted, or slightly burnt, and isn't very discernable as "vanilla". Dark chocolate still seems to linger through the brew, though not as pleasant to the taste as it is to the smell.

It leaves your mouth and tongue feeling a bit wet, nearly salavating, though I would say that the drinkability is really not that bad. Overall, I wish this brew tasted a whole lot more like it smelled - or, maybe it does, and I just don't enjoy the taste nearly as much. An average beer, though worth a try.

nouseforotacon, Aug 13, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Pours into a nice dark brown. Not so thick that you cannot see thorugh it but it is thick enough. You get a nice creamy head when you pour this beer that settle into a nice lace that sits about an inch thick.

Smell: Slight vanilla smell but nothing too overpowering. Pairs nicely with the coffee smell you get.

Taste:Kind of a rusty taste to it. There is hardly any vanilla in the initial taste but kind of creeps up on you in the aftertaste. I would have liked a bit of a stronger vanilla taste to this as this beer is kind of bland. Kind of disappointing all around.The mouth feel comes as cross as watery and not as creamy as it promised when I poured it.

Notes: Not a bad beer. Just average. I like my porters big and thick and this one just disappoints in that respect.

maddamish, Nov 10, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a dark brown in color with a short-lived creamy tan head. Feint aroma consists mainly of vanilla and cocoa. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. Initial taste reminds me of chocolate frosting. Very sweet upfront and the dominant vanilla flavor which is not very subtle at all, borders on almost being too strong. Roasted graininess (both in taste and texture) towards the back renders a pretty unremarkable finish. I had two of these back-to-back and the flavor sort of grows on you after awhile, but not something that I'd pursue again.

Winter, Jan 19, 2004
3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured slow, looked great for the first couple of minutes then it's head died to nothing. Left no lace the further I drank to the bottom.
Smelled rich with coffee and chocolate but no vanilla not too bad but not impressed either.
Tasted the coffee and chocolate, the vanilla came in but slow and I had to remind myself it was there.
For a porter the mouthfeel was rather drab. I like porters to be a little heavier with more a chewiness.
I may drink this again but I doubt it. I know I won't spend money on it, not when I can get an Edmund Fitzgerald.

Ahhdball, Jun 10, 2003
3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours out a dark, murky brown with a slight head on top. Smell is mainly coffee and roast with a definite vanilla tinge, as expected.

Body is very light, but flavour is much like the nose, some subdued coffee, hints of roast, and vanilla all over the place. Not overly depthy, but doesn't get overly aggressive about the vanilla flavouring either. Definite caramel and chocolate tones as it comes to a conclusion with a soft bitter. I wouldn't call it remarkable, but ok.

Drinkability continues the slightly above average tone, I had no problem with 1, but more than that would probably be too much. Can't complain too much given the price, delivers on its promise of a vanilla beer, though the porter half of the equation is a little too sedate for my palatte.

CortexBomb, Nov 06, 2004
3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

This brew pours a very dark color with a small tan head that fades fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma has some dark malts with a bit of vanilla and maybe a bit of chocolate. Low carbonation. The flavor was much the same as the aroma. Slight chocolate and dark malts with a hint of vanilla. Somehow this flavor didn't appeal to me much. The mouthfeel was incredibly thin. Almost watery. Drinkability was ok. I probably won't have this one again.

clvand0, Feb 14, 2005
3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a nearly opaque black with about an inch of creamy dense head. Smells of vanilla, caramel, mocha and malt. Starts off tasting of sweet vanilla and finishes with both coffee and cocoa notes along with some mild bitterness. Feels slightly thin in the mouth but contains a fair amount of carbonation. A nice change up from the ordinary porter. One to try for all fans of the style.

ClockworkOrange, Nov 10, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a very dark brown with medium brown fluffy head. Aroma is artificially sweet with vanilla, most of the vanilla is in the nose, not as much in the taste. The taste starts with mild roasted malt and coffee tons, sweet, with a mildly smooth finish. Medium body, medium high carbonation.

Not bad, but seemed a bit off and sweet. Better appearance and aroma then taste. Even as a dessert beer there is better choices I think.

fattychubs, Jul 14, 2003
3.33/5  rDev -10%

Pours dark brown, almost black with a minimal brown head. The aroma is somewhat sweet and malty with a roasted malt and chocolate smell. The flavor is malty and chocolatey with a chocolate, vanilla finish. It has a bit of a drying bitterness in the finish. The body is pretty light and kinda thin.

BeerBuilder, Oct 14, 2003
3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Chocolate milk smellin' stuff. Creamy slightly tan head that has good retention. Opeque dark brown look. Sweet coca upfront followed by a a touch of expresso dryness on the tongue. A little too sweet and the vanilla is a big dominant flavor in the finish. A decent end of meal brew but not a sesson brew at all. One or two at a sitting is all I could drink.

frank4sail, Oct 18, 2003
3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Very unique beer. Poured out to a coffee like color, with rather low carbonation, and not much of a head. Scent of vanilla is openly present, as is a slighly herbal and floral note. Mouthfeel is quite smooth, but hearty, as the weight of the brew is very dense. Flavors of vanilla bean, cooked grains and herbs are present. I would venture to guess that this is a lower alcohol beer, as after two, i'm not really feelin' it. Finished on the stronger side, with a slighly sticky, sugary quality. Nonetheless, not a bad beer. Worth a try.

Frozensoul327, May 12, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Well, this is very interesting. Pours a very dark brown/black that is basically opaque. The pour creates a very dark tan/light brown head of about 1/2 inch. The head sits there for a few seconds like it's settling in and then, Presto!, it is gone. No lace whatsover, but, oh my, what an inky brew. I would characterize the flavor as very mild with a bit of a strong vanilla aftertaste in the back. The nose is exceedingly light and gives off little real character. The taste has a changing character as the glass empties. As the brew warms it takes on a musky character. Some roast sense, a bit of dark chocolate and mild coffee, but basically quite mild.

AtLagerHeads, Apr 16, 2003
3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

When this Porter was poured into my glass, it poured with a dark brown head that unfortunately did not last very long. This beer left a decent lacing on the sides of my glass. It had a smooth taste in my opinion for a Porter and a smooth flavor to it as well.

hotstuff, Jul 08, 2003
3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: This damn beer looks like a stout. Not that I consider it a bad thing. But if this were a blind taste test, my palate would be gearing up for a stout. Looks very, very black with a brown head that quickly dissapates. I checked the bottle twice to make sure I had the right brew.

Smell: vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. This worries me a little. There is a little marshmallow-like sweetness and no hop bitterness to speak of.

Taste: Just as the smell would lead me to believe...vanilla! Tastes a little like a vanilla milk shake or maybe a french vanilla cappucinno. There is a slightly smokey and bitter end to the sip. Way too much vanilla for my comfort.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied but a little thin and watery for me.

Drinkability and overall: different and interesting but doesn't seem like much of a porter to me. Too much like vanilla for me to pick up anything else. I'm not sure if I would recommend this to anyone else. Maybe for a change of pace but that's about it.

mattcrill, Aug 31, 2004