Schlägl Doppel Bock - Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl

good

Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 08-08-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by JohnnyS17:
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

The doppelbock is a lot lighter than others I have had. The beer poured with a very small white head and disappeared quickly leaving no lacing. From the looks of it, I am not overly compelled to take a drink.

The aroma is intoxicatingly sweet. A sweetness like prunes or grapes, maybe a hint of cherry. Maybe it is my sensitive nose, but it kind of stings the nostrils (in a good way). The appearance didn't draw me in, but the smell has. The first sip is sweet with hints of the prunes I could smell. The after taste is a bit bitter and earthy, which I am not too fond of. The flavors are nicely balanced though and I will tip my cap to that. The mouthfeel is dry and crisp.

Overall, it doesn't measure up to the other doppelbocks I have had. However, it is definitely a drinkable beer. I wouldn't go out of my way to have one, but I wouldn't turn it down.

JohnnyS17, Jul 23, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

HoppySeb, Apr 10, 2014
3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

ST: 1 pint poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Dark, clear amber with heavy carbonation and half-a-fingernail of white fluffy head that leaves a good ring of lacing.

S: Malty, bread, and light caramel.

T: Heavy malt with some caramel, slightly sour, slightly metallic finish, and alcohol warmth.

M: Medium

O: Decent flavor, though the finish has a metallic edge. This dopplebock could be heavier and have more flavor. Overall, there is nothing wrong with this beer, but there is nothing exciting about it either.

ianjsullivan, Oct 29, 2012

Schlafly33, Aug 06, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

Pretty clear pale golden-peach color with a 1-2cm bubbly white head. Pretty low retention and light initial lacing.

Slightly better than the standard euro pale malt that is so common along with light caramel notes.

Flavor is good, better than anticipated after the fairly standard nose. Nice malt character and body with light caramel notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Pretty smooth and creamy with a faint alc. burn and medium carb.

Overall I think this is a good doppel bock and a solid representation of the style from Austria. Good flavor, body and a 8.3% abv along with a pretty high drinkability makes me think this beer can cause some trouble in Austria/Germany and gets alot of people smashed. I recommend giving this a try.

MrVonzipper, Aug 26, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, a bit of dark fruits. Taste is malts, bready, alcohol is present, just a touch of dark fruits. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a solid but unspectacular beer.

tone77, Mar 25, 2014
3.41/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Light Golden Amber w/nice lacing and two finger head

S - Somewhat biscuity, not too strong in any particular aroma that I could place my finger on.

T - Some hop bite, well balanced with the malts in this brew. You can taste the alcohol but it finishes nice. Like the smell..somewhat biscuity aftertaste. Also lemon/citrus comes through a bit in subtle ways.

M - Doesn't feel thin, nice carbonation, somewhat refreshing.

O - I thought this brew was pretty decent to be honest. Refreshing. Not too hoppy, but balanced. I think it would be nice with some chicken or light fish for dinner.

tbraun1, Apr 08, 2014
3.69/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a medium golden amber with a thin, rapidly dissipating head, leaving a small ring around the glass. Aroma of bready, caramel malt with hints of oxidation. Flavor follows, sweet bready and caramel malt, light fruit juice, finishing with malt and a nice peppery bite. Light bodied with active carbonation. A pleasant doppelbock that his somewhat thinner in body and flavor than others, but has an interesting peppery finish that is unusual. Not that complex, but pleasant.

LiquidAmber, Sep 04, 2013

OregonGrown7, Nov 05, 2013
3.55/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tarnished brass with a creamy eggshell cap that leaves fine sheets of lace on the glass, a little light colored for the style. The aroma is bready and sweet with caramel, toasted grain and hay. Tasty and malt forward with an alcoholic heat. Sweet toasted malt with an herbal hop punch to balance. Medium full-bodied and a little sticky in the finish. A good beer but not true to the style, I saw other reviews refer to this as a "helles" Dopplebock which makes sense.

biggred1, Aug 08, 2011

safaricook, Dec 27, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +15.3%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Out of Austria's only brewery a pin sip real home. Since 1580."

Given my previous error, I had no idea what to expect from what was to come out of the bottle. Once more, it was far lighter than I had girded myself for. I was so elated that I nearly inverted the bottle, but this caused a rush of beer that I could barely control! I sat back and watched the pseudo-cascade settle into a massive pile of tawny head that took forever to fall, leaving stupidly sticky lacing in its wake. I began again and this time I got a much more reasonable finger of rocky, tawny head that sat in defiance of my desire to get started. Color was a deep, dark-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and if you do not think that this preceded the entrance of the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Midas and Croesus, you must be kidding! They fell over themselves trying to get a taste while I sneezed, possibly thanks to the yeast. Nose smelled of freshly-baked bread. I remember my first semester of Foods in HomeEc and when we got to baking, I knew that I was in my environment. I loved kneading the dough, the smell as I did so, the smell as the dough rose and finally, the smell during and after it came out of the oven. This had that smell! Mouthfeel was obscenely full and slightly hot. My eyes watered as it sat on my tongue, reminding me who was boss. I loved the taste - semi-sweet, but bready, biscuity with a burn. Bisquick! We used a ton of it in the Boy Scouts, and the best was when our Scoutmaster, Tom M., would mix it with a can or two of Fruit Cocktail in heavy syrup, using the syrup as the liquid and then bake it in a Dutch Oven. OMFG! This was it, in liquified form. The lacing that had begun to appear was daunting and I began to fear for my well being. I was entranced by the taste, what with the fruity esters breaking through the heat as it warmed. I had a nap earlier, but this might be the knockout punch for the day. Oh my, I felt as though I had been poleaxed! Where has the time gone? Who needs illicit drugs when this is available? Finish? Hot, fruity, semi-dry. Yowza!

woodychandler, Jul 21, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle. 3.49$.

It pours a clear gold with a fizzy white head that leaves some nice lacing as it dissipates.

I love the smell of Helles Doppelbocks. This one smells like big loaf of sweet bread. There is some pretzel in there too along with a touch of earthy hops.

The flavor is rich and malty with again the fresh bread flavors, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. The hops are there too, providing a subtle bitterness to cut the sweet ever-so-slightly.

This is a fine brew.

crossovert, Feb 10, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

bigred89, Dec 04, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

500 mL bottle, no obvious date.

appears a dark golden color, off-white head that fades. sweet aroma, slightly fruity. not real great. tastes of bready malt, not much else, single note. lingering aftertaste. body is thin to medium. smooth body and carbonation. drinks easy.

overall isn't alright, but seems very light for the style.

jmdrpi, Jul 17, 2012

kguard, Jun 08, 2013

Very bready aroma with a firmer malt back and hints of alcohol. Mild fruitiness.
Rather light color, esp. for style, a golden beer with just the start of amber coloring. White frothy head with good stamina and ample lacing.
Hints of the breadiness start the drink, but there is a lot more also going on. Also, finishes kinda' dry, for a lager. Nice soft malt flavors with bits of fruit. There is still hop flavors evident and they lend to the drying of the finish. The alcohol flavors intermingle nicely with occasional shots of heat. German yeast flavors and character.
Appropriately moderate feel with a smoothness that is at times kinda silky. Still lager clean.
A good solid drink.

garymuchow, Dec 31, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to Jeremiah for the bottle.

Clear, light blonde body. Creamy white head.

Toasty, grainy, malty, rich, sweet aroma.

Robust toasted malt forms the backbone, notes of honey and alcohol on the sweet finish.

Full body, modest carbonation.

Pretty heavy and sweet so like most doppelbocks it isn't something you would want too much of.

Its too bad their are so few helles doppelbocks on the US market. They really are some pretty cool beers. They don't look like doppelbocks and they substitute a sweet bready maltiness for the caramel and chocolate of their more traditional bretheren, but they are a good option for those looking for rich malty beers.

BradLikesBrew, Aug 08, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +32.2%

Picked one of these up at the local (and only) German deli in town. kind of pricey at $4.25 for a .5L and from Austria (but hell, cheaper than Pliny!)but I thought I would give it a try since I do not see too many Helles Dopplebocks around. I must say after one taste of this badboy I immediately reminisce (sp?) back to my first experience with german Doppels - had perfect balance of malt. The mouthfeel was right-on with good viscosity stoping short of cloying. My google search went nowhere and the relatively small brewery's (Stift?) website is only published in DE. Wish I could find it in other stores but it is pretty esoteric (German is not too hip in NorCal these days with every neobeergeek jonesing for belgians).

marksweiner, Sep 29, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Light golden brown with and off white foamy head.

This beer has a grainy malty aroma with fleeting hints of hops.

The taste is one of mostly grain with some sourness. Low carbonation Hints of molasseses.

Overall I enjoyed this a lot would drink it again in the future. Very refreshing

Theheroguy, Oct 11, 2012

buckyp, Jan 21, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

Second style from this newly discovered, by me, brewery.

A -- Hmm, a Helles Doppelbock. Pours a deep, hazy gold with a dense, persistent white head that settles to a fine cap.

S -- Alcohol up front, nearly distracting, DMS from Pils malt, bready sweetness from malts.

T -- Sweet, toasty malts at first, some mild caramel mixed together with a smooth breadiness in between, finishing with an alcohol kick that dries the palate. There is a light, pear or grape fruitiness to the aftertaste that isn't typical of light Doppelbocks, but it's also pretty appetizing.

M -- Mouthfeel is smooth, chewy and nearly syrupy, with a medium body.

O -- I started thinking this beer might be a bit too harsh with alcohol for style, but a few swallows down and the flavors meld nicely. There is a breadiness to this (and the Schlägl Märzen I tried) that isn't common in other Germanic lagers I enjoy. I imagine it's a proprietary yeast giving off the character.

steveh, Feb 02, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +34.2%

BGdad, Dec 03, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a case of this stuff over the weekend for a steal of a price.
Appearance: Pure golden in body with a creamy off-white head that is thick and gorgeous.

Smell: Sweet malt, with a touch of bread and more fruity aromas then I expected. Inviting.

Taste?: This is perhaps the best Doppel Bock I've ever poured down my neck and this is why: Amplitude. This is so well blended and balanced that it simply blooms in the mouth, with nothing standing out. With most Doppel Bocks I'm overwhelmed to a point with malt--not this one. This brewer managed to put just the right amount of hops to make it happen. Perfect balance.

Overall: This is a great brew. Unless of course you intend on driving any time soon.

godlessape, Jul 17, 2012