Schlägl Doppel Bock - Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl

good

Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 08-08-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
BGdad

Iowa

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

12-03-2012 03:09:42 | More by BGdad
marksweiner

4.68/5  rDev +30.4%

Picked one of these up at the local (and only) German deli in town. kind of pricey at $4.25 for a .5L and from Austria (but hell, cheaper than Pliny!)but I thought I would give it a try since I do not see too many Helles Dopplebocks around. I must say after one taste of this badboy I immediately reminisce (sp?) back to my first experience with german Doppels - had perfect balance of malt. The mouthfeel was right-on with good viscosity stoping short of cloying. My google search went nowhere and the relatively small brewery's (Stift?) website is only published in DE. Wish I could find it in other stores but it is pretty esoteric (German is not too hip in NorCal these days with every neobeergeek jonesing for belgians).

09-29-2010 03:24:50 | More by marksweiner
ssjkyle

Nebraska

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

07-14-2012 21:33:12 | More by ssjkyle
crossovert

4.45/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle. 3.49$.

It pours a clear gold with a fizzy white head that leaves some nice lacing as it dissipates.

I love the smell of Helles Doppelbocks. This one smells like big loaf of sweet bread. There is some pretzel in there too along with a touch of earthy hops.

The flavor is rich and malty with again the fresh bread flavors, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. The hops are there too, providing a subtle bitterness to cut the sweet ever-so-slightly.

This is a fine brew.

02-10-2011 06:05:45 | More by crossovert
pkalix

4.38/5  rDev +22%

i was about to rate this one very low even though i have had it before. probably my favorite style, this double bock has a bitterness at the end which really bothered me until i realized it's an 8.3% abv. the higher the abv, the more it can factor in a genuine taste of a brew. i love the sweetness of the double (doppel?) bocks and this is no exception. very little head from the pour, a bland, golden color into my .5 L Paulaner glass with a limited amount of small carb bubbles rising. has that traditional sticky toffee malt smell and the traditional sweet taste plus the aforementioned bitterness at the end.
overall, i can very much appreciate this and session longer than i could a miller lite, even with the bitterness. and with the higher abv, and the cleaner taste, i would end up in a happier place than i would versus the miller lite. two german brews into my day, i'm a happy camper. i feel like i have returned to a girlfriend after a long, extended stay away. i still love the complex and higher abv belgiums, but i'm glad these beautiful germans are always here to welcome me back to nirvana. prost!

ugh! my mistake! it's from austria! sorry guys...

09-03-2012 01:26:31 | More by pkalix
godlessape

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a case of this stuff over the weekend for a steal of a price.
Appearance: Pure golden in body with a creamy off-white head that is thick and gorgeous.

Smell: Sweet malt, with a touch of bread and more fruity aromas then I expected. Inviting.

Taste?: This is perhaps the best Doppel Bock I've ever poured down my neck and this is why: Amplitude. This is so well blended and balanced that it simply blooms in the mouth, with nothing standing out. With most Doppel Bocks I'm overwhelmed to a point with malt--not this one. This brewer managed to put just the right amount of hops to make it happen. Perfect balance.

Overall: This is a great brew. Unless of course you intend on driving any time soon.

07-17-2012 14:00:45 | More by godlessape
woodychandler

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Out of Austria's only brewery a pin sip real home. Since 1580."

Given my previous error, I had no idea what to expect from what was to come out of the bottle. Once more, it was far lighter than I had girded myself for. I was so elated that I nearly inverted the bottle, but this caused a rush of beer that I could barely control! I sat back and watched the pseudo-cascade settle into a massive pile of tawny head that took forever to fall, leaving stupidly sticky lacing in its wake. I began again and this time I got a much more reasonable finger of rocky, tawny head that sat in defiance of my desire to get started. Color was a deep, dark-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and if you do not think that this preceded the entrance of the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Midas and Croesus, you must be kidding! They fell over themselves trying to get a taste while I sneezed, possibly thanks to the yeast. Nose smelled of freshly-baked bread. I remember my first semester of Foods in HomeEc and when we got to baking, I knew that I was in my environment. I loved kneading the dough, the smell as I did so, the smell as the dough rose and finally, the smell during and after it came out of the oven. This had that smell! Mouthfeel was obscenely full and slightly hot. My eyes watered as it sat on my tongue, reminding me who was boss. I loved the taste - semi-sweet, but bready, biscuity with a burn. Bisquick! We used a ton of it in the Boy Scouts, and the best was when our Scoutmaster, Tom M., would mix it with a can or two of Fruit Cocktail in heavy syrup, using the syrup as the liquid and then bake it in a Dutch Oven. OMFG! This was it, in liquified form. The lacing that had begun to appear was daunting and I began to fear for my well being. I was entranced by the taste, what with the fruity esters breaking through the heat as it warmed. I had a nap earlier, but this might be the knockout punch for the day. Oh my, I felt as though I had been poleaxed! Where has the time gone? Who needs illicit drugs when this is available? Finish? Hot, fruity, semi-dry. Yowza!

07-21-2014 02:16:23 | More by woodychandler
OregonGrown7

Nebraska

11-05-2013 19:43:52 | More by OregonGrown7
safaricook

Netherlands

12-27-2012 22:15:31 | More by safaricook
garymuchow

Very bready aroma with a firmer malt back and hints of alcohol. Mild fruitiness.
Rather light color, esp. for style, a golden beer with just the start of amber coloring. White frothy head with good stamina and ample lacing.
Hints of the breadiness start the drink, but there is a lot more also going on. Also, finishes kinda' dry, for a lager. Nice soft malt flavors with bits of fruit. There is still hop flavors evident and they lend to the drying of the finish. The alcohol flavors intermingle nicely with occasional shots of heat. German yeast flavors and character.
Appropriately moderate feel with a smoothness that is at times kinda silky. Still lager clean.
A good solid drink.

12-31-2011 02:45:05 | More by garymuchow
Theheroguy

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Light golden brown with and off white foamy head.

This beer has a grainy malty aroma with fleeting hints of hops.

The taste is one of mostly grain with some sourness. Low carbonation Hints of molasseses.

Overall I enjoyed this a lot would drink it again in the future. Very refreshing

10-11-2012 03:49:38 | More by Theheroguy
MrVonzipper

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Pretty clear pale golden-peach color with a 1-2cm bubbly white head. Pretty low retention and light initial lacing.

Slightly better than the standard euro pale malt that is so common along with light caramel notes.

Flavor is good, better than anticipated after the fairly standard nose. Nice malt character and body with light caramel notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Pretty smooth and creamy with a faint alc. burn and medium carb.

Overall I think this is a good doppel bock and a solid representation of the style from Austria. Good flavor, body and a 8.3% abv along with a pretty high drinkability makes me think this beer can cause some trouble in Austria/Germany and gets alot of people smashed. I recommend giving this a try.

08-26-2011 00:55:23 | More by MrVonzipper
steveh

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Second style from this newly discovered, by me, brewery.

A -- Hmm, a Helles Doppelbock. Pours a deep, hazy gold with a dense, persistent white head that settles to a fine cap.

S -- Alcohol up front, nearly distracting, DMS from Pils malt, bready sweetness from malts.

T -- Sweet, toasty malts at first, some mild caramel mixed together with a smooth breadiness in between, finishing with an alcohol kick that dries the palate. There is a light, pear or grape fruitiness to the aftertaste that isn't typical of light Doppelbocks, but it's also pretty appetizing.

M -- Mouthfeel is smooth, chewy and nearly syrupy, with a medium body.

O -- I started thinking this beer might be a bit too harsh with alcohol for style, but a few swallows down and the flavors meld nicely. There is a breadiness to this (and the Schlägl Märzen I tried) that isn't common in other Germanic lagers I enjoy. I imagine it's a proprietary yeast giving off the character.

02-02-2012 21:59:34 | More by steveh
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to Jeremiah for the bottle.

Clear, light blonde body. Creamy white head.

Toasty, grainy, malty, rich, sweet aroma.

Robust toasted malt forms the backbone, notes of honey and alcohol on the sweet finish.

Full body, modest carbonation.

Pretty heavy and sweet so like most doppelbocks it isn't something you would want too much of.

Its too bad their are so few helles doppelbocks on the US market. They really are some pretty cool beers. They don't look like doppelbocks and they substitute a sweet bready maltiness for the caramel and chocolate of their more traditional bretheren, but they are a good option for those looking for rich malty beers.

08-08-2010 02:31:16 | More by BradLikesBrew
Latarnik

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

05-27-2014 15:23:37 | More by Latarnik
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.69/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a medium golden amber with a thin, rapidly dissipating head, leaving a small ring around the glass. Aroma of bready, caramel malt with hints of oxidation. Flavor follows, sweet bready and caramel malt, light fruit juice, finishing with malt and a nice peppery bite. Light bodied with active carbonation. A pleasant doppelbock that his somewhat thinner in body and flavor than others, but has an interesting peppery finish that is unusual. Not that complex, but pleasant.

09-04-2013 03:13:29 | More by LiquidAmber
SuperSpy

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a pint glass. The beer comes out a hazy golden color with an eggshell head. The dies very quickly and lives little more than a film of foam in its place. Meh.

The aroma is sweet, bready and fruity. Light fruits like apple and pear mix with a sweet pale malt. No hops to speak of in the aroma.

The beer is medium bodied but a bit thin. The flavor is much maltier than expected from the aroma and this is by all means a good thing. It's sweet, bready, malty. Filled with hints of apple, burnt sugar, vanilla and a significant bit of boozy heat from the alcohol. There is just enough hops to help dry out the finish, with lingering flavors of burnt sugar and alcohol.

A tasty beer that I wouldn't mind having again. It's definitely one of the best that I've seen come out of Austria.

01-30-2012 23:39:17 | More by SuperSpy
thekevlarkid

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Out of a bottle this beer was a perfectly clear, golden color with one finger of khaki-colored head. The retention of the slim collar was good and it left streaks of lacing as I made my way through it. The aroma was of sweet malt, sweet breads, grains and a little booze. As it warmed the boozy elements took over the nose. The flavors were rather one-dimensional and reflective of the aroma. I mostly tasted sweet malt and dry grains with a boozy finish that lingered on my palate. The mouthfeel was average, the body medium and the carbonation light. It reminded me of Baltika No. 9, a pumped-up Lager. Not a bad beer but not what I am in the mood for when I think of a “Bock."

12-31-2011 20:04:58 | More by thekevlarkid
biggred1

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tarnished brass with a creamy eggshell cap that leaves fine sheets of lace on the glass, a little light colored for the style. The aroma is bready and sweet with caramel, toasted grain and hay. Tasty and malt forward with an alcoholic heat. Sweet toasted malt with an herbal hop punch to balance. Medium full-bodied and a little sticky in the finish. A good beer but not true to the style, I saw other reviews refer to this as a "helles" Dopplebock which makes sense.

08-08-2011 03:54:52 | More by biggred1
tone77

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, a bit of dark fruits. Taste is malts, bready, alcohol is present, just a touch of dark fruits. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a solid but unspectacular beer.

03-25-2014 20:23:45 | More by tone77

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

01-13-2013 21:55:16 | More by kanno
tbraun1

3.41/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Light Golden Amber w/nice lacing and two finger head

S - Somewhat biscuity, not too strong in any particular aroma that I could place my finger on.

T - Some hop bite, well balanced with the malts in this brew. You can taste the alcohol but it finishes nice. Like the smell..somewhat biscuity aftertaste. Also lemon/citrus comes through a bit in subtle ways.

M - Doesn't feel thin, nice carbonation, somewhat refreshing.

O - I thought this brew was pretty decent to be honest. Refreshing. Not too hoppy, but balanced. I think it would be nice with some chicken or light fish for dinner.

04-08-2014 22:50:50 | More by tbraun1
ianjsullivan

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

ST: 1 pint poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Dark, clear amber with heavy carbonation and half-a-fingernail of white fluffy head that leaves a good ring of lacing.

S: Malty, bread, and light caramel.

T: Heavy malt with some caramel, slightly sour, slightly metallic finish, and alcohol warmth.

M: Medium

O: Decent flavor, though the finish has a metallic edge. This dopplebock could be heavier and have more flavor. Overall, there is nothing wrong with this beer, but there is nothing exciting about it either.

10-29-2012 16:42:34 | More by ianjsullivan
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought online from Beer Ship.

500ml bottle, it pours a clear 24k gold with a 2 finger head of foam and lots of lacing.

Big notes of bread in the smell, light grain, some caramel malt.

The taste is also big on bread, has some sweet malt that doesn't go over board, grain, earthy, with no sign of the alcohol.

Good medium body and carbonation, it's a good enough Doppelbock that is not hard to drink...well maybe...the bready character is kind of tiring after a while. Not quite *there*, where I like for the style.

My 3rd brew from the brewery and I guess I didn't save the best for last as I was hoping. Still worth a try.

12-16-2012 21:05:08 | More by Bitterbill