1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Schlägl Doppel Bock - Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl

Schlägl Doppel BockSchlägl Doppel Bock

good

Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 08-08-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
1.5/5  rDev -57.6%

mncoinman, Sep 15, 2014

wrightst, Jul 26, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +15.3%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Out of Austria's only brewery a pin sip real home. Since 1580."

Given my previous error, I had no idea what to expect from what was to come out of the bottle. Once more, it was far lighter than I had girded myself for. I was so elated that I nearly inverted the bottle, but this caused a rush of beer that I could barely control! I sat back and watched the pseudo-cascade settle into a massive pile of tawny head that took forever to fall, leaving stupidly sticky lacing in its wake. I began again and this time I got a much more reasonable finger of rocky, tawny head that sat in defiance of my desire to get started. Color was a deep, dark-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and if you do not think that this preceded the entrance of the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Midas and Croesus, you must be kidding! They fell over themselves trying to get a taste while I sneezed, possibly thanks to the yeast. Nose smelled of freshly-baked bread. I remember my first semester of Foods in HomeEc and when we got to baking, I knew that I was in my environment. I loved kneading the dough, the smell as I did so, the smell as the dough rose and finally, the smell during and after it came out of the oven. This had that smell! Mouthfeel was obscenely full and slightly hot. My eyes watered as it sat on my tongue, reminding me who was boss. I loved the taste - semi-sweet, but bready, biscuity with a burn. Bisquick! We used a ton of it in the Boy Scouts, and the best was when our Scoutmaster, Tom M., would mix it with a can or two of Fruit Cocktail in heavy syrup, using the syrup as the liquid and then bake it in a Dutch Oven. OMFG! This was it, in liquified form. The lacing that had begun to appear was daunting and I began to fear for my well being. I was entranced by the taste, what with the fruity esters breaking through the heat as it warmed. I had a nap earlier, but this might be the knockout punch for the day. Oh my, I felt as though I had been poleaxed! Where has the time gone? Who needs illicit drugs when this is available? Finish? Hot, fruity, semi-dry. Yowza!

woodychandler, Jul 21, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

Latarnik, May 27, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

HoppySeb, Apr 10, 2014
3.41/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Light Golden Amber w/nice lacing and two finger head

S - Somewhat biscuity, not too strong in any particular aroma that I could place my finger on.

T - Some hop bite, well balanced with the malts in this brew. You can taste the alcohol but it finishes nice. Like the smell..somewhat biscuity aftertaste. Also lemon/citrus comes through a bit in subtle ways.

M - Doesn't feel thin, nice carbonation, somewhat refreshing.

O - I thought this brew was pretty decent to be honest. Refreshing. Not too hoppy, but balanced. I think it would be nice with some chicken or light fish for dinner.

tbraun1, Apr 08, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, a bit of dark fruits. Taste is malts, bready, alcohol is present, just a touch of dark fruits. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a solid but unspectacular beer.

tone77, Mar 25, 2014

OregonGrown7, Nov 05, 2013
3.69/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a medium golden amber with a thin, rapidly dissipating head, leaving a small ring around the glass. Aroma of bready, caramel malt with hints of oxidation. Flavor follows, sweet bready and caramel malt, light fruit juice, finishing with malt and a nice peppery bite. Light bodied with active carbonation. A pleasant doppelbock that his somewhat thinner in body and flavor than others, but has an interesting peppery finish that is unusual. Not that complex, but pleasant.

LiquidAmber, Sep 04, 2013

3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

kanno, Jan 13, 2013

safaricook, Dec 27, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought online from Beer Ship.

500ml bottle, it pours a clear 24k gold with a 2 finger head of foam and lots of lacing.

Big notes of bread in the smell, light grain, some caramel malt.

The taste is also big on bread, has some sweet malt that doesn't go over board, grain, earthy, with no sign of the alcohol.

Good medium body and carbonation, it's a good enough Doppelbock that is not hard to drink...well maybe...the bready character is kind of tiring after a while. Not quite *there*, where I like for the style.

My 3rd brew from the brewery and I guess I didn't save the best for last as I was hoping. Still worth a try.

Bitterbill, Dec 16, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +34.2%

BGdad, Dec 03, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

ST: 1 pint poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Dark, clear amber with heavy carbonation and half-a-fingernail of white fluffy head that leaves a good ring of lacing.

S: Malty, bread, and light caramel.

T: Heavy malt with some caramel, slightly sour, slightly metallic finish, and alcohol warmth.

M: Medium

O: Decent flavor, though the finish has a metallic edge. This dopplebock could be heavier and have more flavor. Overall, there is nothing wrong with this beer, but there is nothing exciting about it either.

ianjsullivan, Oct 29, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Light golden brown with and off white foamy head.

This beer has a grainy malty aroma with fleeting hints of hops.

The taste is one of mostly grain with some sourness. Low carbonation Hints of molasseses.

Overall I enjoyed this a lot would drink it again in the future. Very refreshing

Theheroguy, Oct 11, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +23.7%

i was about to rate this one very low even though i have had it before. probably my favorite style, this double bock has a bitterness at the end which really bothered me until i realized it's an 8.3% abv. the higher the abv, the more it can factor in a genuine taste of a brew. i love the sweetness of the double (doppel?) bocks and this is no exception. very little head from the pour, a bland, golden color into my .5 L Paulaner glass with a limited amount of small carb bubbles rising. has that traditional sticky toffee malt smell and the traditional sweet taste plus the aforementioned bitterness at the end.
overall, i can very much appreciate this and session longer than i could a miller lite, even with the bitterness. and with the higher abv, and the cleaner taste, i would end up in a happier place than i would versus the miller lite. two german brews into my day, i'm a happy camper. i feel like i have returned to a girlfriend after a long, extended stay away. i still love the complex and higher abv belgiums, but i'm glad these beautiful germans are always here to welcome me back to nirvana. prost!

ugh! my mistake! it's from austria! sorry guys...

pkalix, Sep 03, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a case of this stuff over the weekend for a steal of a price.
Appearance: Pure golden in body with a creamy off-white head that is thick and gorgeous.

Smell: Sweet malt, with a touch of bread and more fruity aromas then I expected. Inviting.

Taste?: This is perhaps the best Doppel Bock I've ever poured down my neck and this is why: Amplitude. This is so well blended and balanced that it simply blooms in the mouth, with nothing standing out. With most Doppel Bocks I'm overwhelmed to a point with malt--not this one. This brewer managed to put just the right amount of hops to make it happen. Perfect balance.

Overall: This is a great brew. Unless of course you intend on driving any time soon.

godlessape, Jul 17, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

500 mL bottle, no obvious date.

appears a dark golden color, off-white head that fades. sweet aroma, slightly fruity. not real great. tastes of bready malt, not much else, single note. lingering aftertaste. body is thin to medium. smooth body and carbonation. drinks easy.

overall isn't alright, but seems very light for the style.

jmdrpi, Jul 17, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

ssjkyle, Jul 14, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -23.7%

Bottle from Beertopia in Omaha, NE
No bottled on date, but arrived at the store last month
Poured into an Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock glass

A new doppelbock found at the beer store in town. A style I am partial to and very familiar with: how does this one factor in?

Schlägl's doppelbock is an attempt at a helles version of the style, focusing on "light" malt flavors such as sweetness and bread, with just a touch of noble hops. The overall package is fairly uninspiring, however, and the overfermented nature of this beer becomes apparent in the closing taste and mouthfeel, as the ethanol yields unpleasant closing flavors and feelings across the palate. At the moment, this is overrated by other reviewers who may be inexperienced with the style. This is one I will not be revisiting.

Pours a 1.5cm head of just off-white bubbles; decent retention lasting a few minutes before it sinks to a thin cap atop the beer's body, leaving little lacing along the sides of the glass. Pours the lightest color I have seen in a doppelbock in some time, a transparent, fairly light, orange-gold-yellow mixture. Holding it up to a light brings out a pale orange-yellow hue. Carbonation is vigorous and steady, many streams bubbling up from the bottom of the glass, supporting the head.

Aroma is of bright, sweet malts, a bit of sweet bread, ethanol, and some faint noble hops. A lighter take on the doppelbock, as indicated by the body's coloration; not all that complex or strong of an aroma, though.

Front of the palate picks up bready, sweet malt influences with a slight buttery flavor. Mid-palate continues with sweet, light malt flavors joined to a bit of toffee and the slightest bit of noble hop presence. Fades out with a burst of ethanol, peppery spiciness, and malt sweetness, leading to a lingering bitterness in the aftertaste, which I found rather unpleasant. In general, way too hot for the malt bill in the recipe, but otherwise not bad, just not particularly impressive.

Beer is medium to medium-heavy bodied, with carbonation at the mid-level too. The beer is crisp and effervescent across the palate initially, a fairly pleasant feeling relative to the many smooth and creamy beers I've been sampling of late. Unfortunately, it closes with a substantial ethanol burn on the throat and in the nostrils that's not becoming at all of the style, or of an 8.3% ethanol content beer in general. Finish is dry and a bit sticky from residual sugars.

falloutsnow, Jun 16, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

Second style from this newly discovered, by me, brewery.

A -- Hmm, a Helles Doppelbock. Pours a deep, hazy gold with a dense, persistent white head that settles to a fine cap.

S -- Alcohol up front, nearly distracting, DMS from Pils malt, bready sweetness from malts.

T -- Sweet, toasty malts at first, some mild caramel mixed together with a smooth breadiness in between, finishing with an alcohol kick that dries the palate. There is a light, pear or grape fruitiness to the aftertaste that isn't typical of light Doppelbocks, but it's also pretty appetizing.

M -- Mouthfeel is smooth, chewy and nearly syrupy, with a medium body.

O -- I started thinking this beer might be a bit too harsh with alcohol for style, but a few swallows down and the flavors meld nicely. There is a breadiness to this (and the Schlägl Märzen I tried) that isn't common in other Germanic lagers I enjoy. I imagine it's a proprietary yeast giving off the character.

steveh, Feb 02, 2012