Schlägl Doppel Bock - Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl

good

Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 08-08-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
westcoastbeerlvr

01-25-2013 06:05:27 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
woodychandler

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "Out of Austria's only brewery a pin sip real home. Since 1580."

Given my previous error, I had no idea what to expect from what was to come out of the bottle. Once more, it was far lighter than I had girded myself for. I was so elated that I nearly inverted the bottle, but this caused a rush of beer that I could barely control! I sat back and watched the pseudo-cascade settle into a massive pile of tawny head that took forever to fall, leaving stupidly sticky lacing in its wake. I began again and this time I got a much more reasonable finger of rocky, tawny head that sat in defiance of my desire to get started. Color was a deep, dark-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and if you do not think that this preceded the entrance of the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Midas and Croesus, you must be kidding! They fell over themselves trying to get a taste while I sneezed, possibly thanks to the yeast. Nose smelled of freshly-baked bread. I remember my first semester of Foods in HomeEc and when we got to baking, I knew that I was in my environment. I loved kneading the dough, the smell as I did so, the smell as the dough rose and finally, the smell during and after it came out of the oven. This had that smell! Mouthfeel was obscenely full and slightly hot. My eyes watered as it sat on my tongue, reminding me who was boss. I loved the taste - semi-sweet, but bready, biscuity with a burn. Bisquick! We used a ton of it in the Boy Scouts, and the best was when our Scoutmaster, Tom M., would mix it with a can or two of Fruit Cocktail in heavy syrup, using the syrup as the liquid and then bake it in a Dutch Oven. OMFG! This was it, in liquified form. The lacing that had begun to appear was daunting and I began to fear for my well being. I was entranced by the taste, what with the fruity esters breaking through the heat as it warmed. I had a nap earlier, but this might be the knockout punch for the day. Oh my, I felt as though I had been poleaxed! Where has the time gone? Who needs illicit drugs when this is available? Finish? Hot, fruity, semi-dry. Yowza!

07-21-2014 02:16:23 | More by woodychandler

07-26-2014 18:38:20 | More by wrightst
LiquidAmber

Washington

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a medium golden amber with a thin, rapidly dissipating head, leaving a small ring around the glass. Aroma of bready, caramel malt with hints of oxidation. Flavor follows, sweet bready and caramel malt, light fruit juice, finishing with malt and a nice peppery bite. Light bodied with active carbonation. A pleasant doppelbock that his somewhat thinner in body and flavor than others, but has an interesting peppery finish that is unusual. Not that complex, but pleasant.

09-04-2013 03:13:29 | More by LiquidAmber
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

Bought online from Beer Ship.

500ml bottle, it pours a clear 24k gold with a 2 finger head of foam and lots of lacing.

Big notes of bread in the smell, light grain, some caramel malt.

The taste is also big on bread, has some sweet malt that doesn't go over board, grain, earthy, with no sign of the alcohol.

Good medium body and carbonation, it's a good enough Doppelbock that is not hard to drink...well maybe...the bready character is kind of tiring after a while. Not quite *there*, where I like for the style.

My 3rd brew from the brewery and I guess I didn't save the best for last as I was hoping. Still worth a try.

12-16-2012 21:05:08 | More by Bitterbill
tone77

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, a bit of dark fruits. Taste is malts, bready, alcohol is present, just a touch of dark fruits. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a solid but unspectacular beer.

03-25-2014 20:23:45 | More by tone77
mrfrancis

Kentucky

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

06-19-2013 16:17:12 | More by mrfrancis
jmdrpi

2.95/5  rDev -18.1%

500 mL bottle, no obvious date.

appears a dark golden color, off-white head that fades. sweet aroma, slightly fruity. not real great. tastes of bready malt, not much else, single note. lingering aftertaste. body is thin to medium. smooth body and carbonation. drinks easy.

overall isn't alright, but seems very light for the style.

07-17-2012 02:41:24 | More by jmdrpi
bigred89

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

12-04-2011 03:52:44 | More by bigred89
garymuchow

Very bready aroma with a firmer malt back and hints of alcohol. Mild fruitiness.
Rather light color, esp. for style, a golden beer with just the start of amber coloring. White frothy head with good stamina and ample lacing.
Hints of the breadiness start the drink, but there is a lot more also going on. Also, finishes kinda' dry, for a lager. Nice soft malt flavors with bits of fruit. There is still hop flavors evident and they lend to the drying of the finish. The alcohol flavors intermingle nicely with occasional shots of heat. German yeast flavors and character.
Appropriately moderate feel with a smoothness that is at times kinda silky. Still lager clean.
A good solid drink.

12-31-2011 02:45:05 | More by garymuchow
buckyp

South Carolina

01-21-2012 02:33:05 | More by buckyp
thekevlarkid

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Out of a bottle this beer was a perfectly clear, golden color with one finger of khaki-colored head. The retention of the slim collar was good and it left streaks of lacing as I made my way through it. The aroma was of sweet malt, sweet breads, grains and a little booze. As it warmed the boozy elements took over the nose. The flavors were rather one-dimensional and reflective of the aroma. I mostly tasted sweet malt and dry grains with a boozy finish that lingered on my palate. The mouthfeel was average, the body medium and the carbonation light. It reminded me of Baltika No. 9, a pumped-up Lager. Not a bad beer but not what I am in the mood for when I think of a “Bock."

12-31-2011 20:04:58 | More by thekevlarkid
crossovert

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%

500ml bottle. 3.49$.

It pours a clear gold with a fizzy white head that leaves some nice lacing as it dissipates.

I love the smell of Helles Doppelbocks. This one smells like big loaf of sweet bread. There is some pretzel in there too along with a touch of earthy hops.

The flavor is rich and malty with again the fresh bread flavors, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. The hops are there too, providing a subtle bitterness to cut the sweet ever-so-slightly.

This is a fine brew.

02-10-2011 06:05:45 | More by crossovert
falloutsnow

2.7/5  rDev -25%

Bottle from Beertopia in Omaha, NE
No bottled on date, but arrived at the store last month
Poured into an Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock glass

A new doppelbock found at the beer store in town. A style I am partial to and very familiar with: how does this one factor in?

Schlägl's doppelbock is an attempt at a helles version of the style, focusing on "light" malt flavors such as sweetness and bread, with just a touch of noble hops. The overall package is fairly uninspiring, however, and the overfermented nature of this beer becomes apparent in the closing taste and mouthfeel, as the ethanol yields unpleasant closing flavors and feelings across the palate. At the moment, this is overrated by other reviewers who may be inexperienced with the style. This is one I will not be revisiting.

Pours a 1.5cm head of just off-white bubbles; decent retention lasting a few minutes before it sinks to a thin cap atop the beer's body, leaving little lacing along the sides of the glass. Pours the lightest color I have seen in a doppelbock in some time, a transparent, fairly light, orange-gold-yellow mixture. Holding it up to a light brings out a pale orange-yellow hue. Carbonation is vigorous and steady, many streams bubbling up from the bottom of the glass, supporting the head.

Aroma is of bright, sweet malts, a bit of sweet bread, ethanol, and some faint noble hops. A lighter take on the doppelbock, as indicated by the body's coloration; not all that complex or strong of an aroma, though.

Front of the palate picks up bready, sweet malt influences with a slight buttery flavor. Mid-palate continues with sweet, light malt flavors joined to a bit of toffee and the slightest bit of noble hop presence. Fades out with a burst of ethanol, peppery spiciness, and malt sweetness, leading to a lingering bitterness in the aftertaste, which I found rather unpleasant. In general, way too hot for the malt bill in the recipe, but otherwise not bad, just not particularly impressive.

Beer is medium to medium-heavy bodied, with carbonation at the mid-level too. The beer is crisp and effervescent across the palate initially, a fairly pleasant feeling relative to the many smooth and creamy beers I've been sampling of late. Unfortunately, it closes with a substantial ethanol burn on the throat and in the nostrils that's not becoming at all of the style, or of an 8.3% ethanol content beer in general. Finish is dry and a bit sticky from residual sugars.

06-16-2012 19:33:06 | More by falloutsnow
pkalix

4.38/5  rDev +21.7%

i was about to rate this one very low even though i have had it before. probably my favorite style, this double bock has a bitterness at the end which really bothered me until i realized it's an 8.3% abv. the higher the abv, the more it can factor in a genuine taste of a brew. i love the sweetness of the double (doppel?) bocks and this is no exception. very little head from the pour, a bland, golden color into my .5 L Paulaner glass with a limited amount of small carb bubbles rising. has that traditional sticky toffee malt smell and the traditional sweet taste plus the aforementioned bitterness at the end.
overall, i can very much appreciate this and session longer than i could a miller lite, even with the bitterness. and with the higher abv, and the cleaner taste, i would end up in a happier place than i would versus the miller lite. two german brews into my day, i'm a happy camper. i feel like i have returned to a girlfriend after a long, extended stay away. i still love the complex and higher abv belgiums, but i'm glad these beautiful germans are always here to welcome me back to nirvana. prost!

ugh! my mistake! it's from austria! sorry guys...

09-03-2012 01:26:31 | More by pkalix

11-05-2013 19:43:52 | More by OregonGrown7
biggred1

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Tarnished brass with a creamy eggshell cap that leaves fine sheets of lace on the glass, a little light colored for the style. The aroma is bready and sweet with caramel, toasted grain and hay. Tasty and malt forward with an alcoholic heat. Sweet toasted malt with an herbal hop punch to balance. Medium full-bodied and a little sticky in the finish. A good beer but not true to the style, I saw other reviews refer to this as a "helles" Dopplebock which makes sense.

08-08-2011 03:54:52 | More by biggred1
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to Jeremiah for the bottle.

Clear, light blonde body. Creamy white head.

Toasty, grainy, malty, rich, sweet aroma.

Robust toasted malt forms the backbone, notes of honey and alcohol on the sweet finish.

Full body, modest carbonation.

Pretty heavy and sweet so like most doppelbocks it isn't something you would want too much of.

Its too bad their are so few helles doppelbocks on the US market. They really are some pretty cool beers. They don't look like doppelbocks and they substitute a sweet bready maltiness for the caramel and chocolate of their more traditional bretheren, but they are a good option for those looking for rich malty beers.

08-08-2010 02:31:16 | More by BradLikesBrew

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

04-10-2014 21:15:59 | More by HoppySeb
MrVonzipper

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Pretty clear pale golden-peach color with a 1-2cm bubbly white head. Pretty low retention and light initial lacing.

Slightly better than the standard euro pale malt that is so common along with light caramel notes.

Flavor is good, better than anticipated after the fairly standard nose. Nice malt character and body with light caramel notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Pretty smooth and creamy with a faint alc. burn and medium carb.

Overall I think this is a good doppel bock and a solid representation of the style from Austria. Good flavor, body and a 8.3% abv along with a pretty high drinkability makes me think this beer can cause some trouble in Austria/Germany and gets alot of people smashed. I recommend giving this a try.

08-26-2011 00:55:23 | More by MrVonzipper
steveh

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Second style from this newly discovered, by me, brewery.

A -- Hmm, a Helles Doppelbock. Pours a deep, hazy gold with a dense, persistent white head that settles to a fine cap.

S -- Alcohol up front, nearly distracting, DMS from Pils malt, bready sweetness from malts.

T -- Sweet, toasty malts at first, some mild caramel mixed together with a smooth breadiness in between, finishing with an alcohol kick that dries the palate. There is a light, pear or grape fruitiness to the aftertaste that isn't typical of light Doppelbocks, but it's also pretty appetizing.

M -- Mouthfeel is smooth, chewy and nearly syrupy, with a medium body.

O -- I started thinking this beer might be a bit too harsh with alcohol for style, but a few swallows down and the flavors meld nicely. There is a breadiness to this (and the Schlägl Märzen I tried) that isn't common in other Germanic lagers I enjoy. I imagine it's a proprietary yeast giving off the character.

02-02-2012 21:59:34 | More by steveh