Schlägl Doppel Bock - Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl

good

Stiftsbrauerei Schlägl visit their website
Austria

Doppelbock |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 08-08-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.68/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a pint glass. The beer comes out a hazy golden color with an eggshell head. The dies very quickly and lives little more than a film of foam in its place. Meh.

The aroma is sweet, bready and fruity. Light fruits like apple and pear mix with a sweet pale malt. No hops to speak of in the aroma.

The beer is medium bodied but a bit thin. The flavor is much maltier than expected from the aroma and this is by all means a good thing. It's sweet, bready, malty. Filled with hints of apple, burnt sugar, vanilla and a significant bit of boozy heat from the alcohol. There is just enough hops to help dry out the finish, with lingering flavors of burnt sugar and alcohol.

A tasty beer that I wouldn't mind having again. It's definitely one of the best that I've seen come out of Austria.

SuperSpy, Jan 30, 2012

buckyp, Jan 21, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

Out of a bottle this beer was a perfectly clear, golden color with one finger of khaki-colored head. The retention of the slim collar was good and it left streaks of lacing as I made my way through it. The aroma was of sweet malt, sweet breads, grains and a little booze. As it warmed the boozy elements took over the nose. The flavors were rather one-dimensional and reflective of the aroma. I mostly tasted sweet malt and dry grains with a boozy finish that lingered on my palate. The mouthfeel was average, the body medium and the carbonation light. It reminded me of Baltika No. 9, a pumped-up Lager. Not a bad beer but not what I am in the mood for when I think of a “Bock."

thekevlarkid, Dec 31, 2011

Very bready aroma with a firmer malt back and hints of alcohol. Mild fruitiness.
Rather light color, esp. for style, a golden beer with just the start of amber coloring. White frothy head with good stamina and ample lacing.
Hints of the breadiness start the drink, but there is a lot more also going on. Also, finishes kinda' dry, for a lager. Nice soft malt flavors with bits of fruit. There is still hop flavors evident and they lend to the drying of the finish. The alcohol flavors intermingle nicely with occasional shots of heat. German yeast flavors and character.
Appropriately moderate feel with a smoothness that is at times kinda silky. Still lager clean.
A good solid drink.

garymuchow, Dec 31, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

bigred89, Dec 04, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

Pretty clear pale golden-peach color with a 1-2cm bubbly white head. Pretty low retention and light initial lacing.

Slightly better than the standard euro pale malt that is so common along with light caramel notes.

Flavor is good, better than anticipated after the fairly standard nose. Nice malt character and body with light caramel notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Pretty smooth and creamy with a faint alc. burn and medium carb.

Overall I think this is a good doppel bock and a solid representation of the style from Austria. Good flavor, body and a 8.3% abv along with a pretty high drinkability makes me think this beer can cause some trouble in Austria/Germany and gets alot of people smashed. I recommend giving this a try.

MrVonzipper, Aug 26, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tarnished brass with a creamy eggshell cap that leaves fine sheets of lace on the glass, a little light colored for the style. The aroma is bready and sweet with caramel, toasted grain and hay. Tasty and malt forward with an alcoholic heat. Sweet toasted malt with an herbal hop punch to balance. Medium full-bodied and a little sticky in the finish. A good beer but not true to the style, I saw other reviews refer to this as a "helles" Dopplebock which makes sense.

biggred1, Aug 08, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

The doppelbock is a lot lighter than others I have had. The beer poured with a very small white head and disappeared quickly leaving no lacing. From the looks of it, I am not overly compelled to take a drink.

The aroma is intoxicatingly sweet. A sweetness like prunes or grapes, maybe a hint of cherry. Maybe it is my sensitive nose, but it kind of stings the nostrils (in a good way). The appearance didn't draw me in, but the smell has. The first sip is sweet with hints of the prunes I could smell. The after taste is a bit bitter and earthy, which I am not too fond of. The flavors are nicely balanced though and I will tip my cap to that. The mouthfeel is dry and crisp.

Overall, it doesn't measure up to the other doppelbocks I have had. However, it is definitely a drinkable beer. I wouldn't go out of my way to have one, but I wouldn't turn it down.

JohnnyS17, Jul 23, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle. 3.49$.

It pours a clear gold with a fizzy white head that leaves some nice lacing as it dissipates.

I love the smell of Helles Doppelbocks. This one smells like big loaf of sweet bread. There is some pretzel in there too along with a touch of earthy hops.

The flavor is rich and malty with again the fresh bread flavors, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. The hops are there too, providing a subtle bitterness to cut the sweet ever-so-slightly.

This is a fine brew.

crossovert, Feb 10, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +32.2%

Picked one of these up at the local (and only) German deli in town. kind of pricey at $4.25 for a .5L and from Austria (but hell, cheaper than Pliny!)but I thought I would give it a try since I do not see too many Helles Dopplebocks around. I must say after one taste of this badboy I immediately reminisce (sp?) back to my first experience with german Doppels - had perfect balance of malt. The mouthfeel was right-on with good viscosity stoping short of cloying. My google search went nowhere and the relatively small brewery's (Stift?) website is only published in DE. Wish I could find it in other stores but it is pretty esoteric (German is not too hip in NorCal these days with every neobeergeek jonesing for belgians).

marksweiner, Sep 29, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to Jeremiah for the bottle.

Clear, light blonde body. Creamy white head.

Toasty, grainy, malty, rich, sweet aroma.

Robust toasted malt forms the backbone, notes of honey and alcohol on the sweet finish.

Full body, modest carbonation.

Pretty heavy and sweet so like most doppelbocks it isn't something you would want too much of.

Its too bad their are so few helles doppelbocks on the US market. They really are some pretty cool beers. They don't look like doppelbocks and they substitute a sweet bready maltiness for the caramel and chocolate of their more traditional bretheren, but they are a good option for those looking for rich malty beers.

BradLikesBrew, Aug 08, 2010