Join our email list →

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG
Germany | website

Hefeweizen | 5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-05-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kapuziner Weissbier Alström Bros
firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last
3.98/5  rDev -1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden color with a thick, rich head of foam, settling to about 1 cm. Picture perfect Hefeweizen; it looks quite delicious.
Smell: Very slight smell. It is slightly citrusy, but I don't really smell much else. When it warms a but, a slight acrid wheat smell emerges.
Taste: Clean, refreshing taste. It is a bit more neutral than I would like, but it is extremely refreshing and leaves little aftertaste.
Mouth-feel: Perfectly carbonated and pleasant. Spritzy and true to style.
Overall: I like this beer. I wish it had a bit more flavor, but, in an odd way, I'm willing to overlook that because it is so good in the other categories. Come summertime (and the sweltering temperatures), I will definately stock a few of these in the fridge.

3.66/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours almost a deep golden/honey hue with a substantial head that mellows after a minute or so. So far im impressed...

S: Getting nice fruits such as orange and banana. definitely the spiciness of the cloves as well.

T: I was expecting more citrus to come through based on the smell but was surprised. You can taste the clove and is altogether tasty but might have wanted a little more punch. A little too subtle to wow me.

M/D: Again i was deceived a bit. I was expecting more carbonation after the pour but find this lite in the mouth. I can see this being a beer you could drink several of. Very easy to consume. Overall, a nice weizen....but nothing to write home about.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

On tap in Erlangen, Germany

A: Pours a nice hazy golden color with a strong fluffy white head. Nice retention.

S: Spicy aroma with moderate banana notes.

T: Taste has a nice balance of the typical hefeweizen notes of wheat, banana, clove. I find the Kapuziner to be slightly more spicy than other examples but in a good way.

M: Medium body with high carbonation typical of this style.

O: A very good hefeweizen but a slightly different take on the style than the breweries in Munich put out.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

very solid, if pretty conservative, wheat beer. not going to change your life, but probably a good representative of wheat beers in general.

I wish it had a little stronger wheat flavor. Unlike a lot of new wheat beers it didn't strike me as too fruity or overly spiced.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers I've tried, bought a 32oz growler and am thinking about getting some more. I love the taste of the beer, could drink this every day.

3.94/5  rDev -2%

Kapuziner Weissbier, brewed by Kulmbacher Braueri in Germany is the most affordable yet satisfying wheat beer you'll find in the Philippines. Poured into its very own weizen glass, it was golden straw with a majestic four finger head that peeked out of the rim - similar to the bald tops of the monks this brew is named after. Strong effervescence and carbonation make this a very beautiful beer. It smelled of banana and cloves, and tasted crisp and light, slightly wheat-y but not filling, with a mild sweet finish. All in all, a very drinkable beer, and I cannot say this enough - it is just gorgeous.

cross-posted on http://booksbitesbrews.blogspot.com

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I was craving a hefeweizen after work today and decided to try this one. I'm glad I did.

Bottle poured into my trusty Flying Saucer pint glass.

Pours a cloudy bright orange with a two-finger, frothy white head, which dissipates slowly with almost no lacing. Strong carbonation.

Smell is BIG banana esthers and clove followed by lemon tart. Not as bready as other hefes I've tried. Quite inviting in this hot weather.

Taste is crisp oranges and fleshy lemons followed by cloves and light banana. Finish is slight bready with crisp citrus. Not a "banana bomb."

Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy with decent thickness.

Overall, this is one of the better hefeweizens I've had since coming back from Germany. Highly recommended and will buy again.

firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last