EKU 28 - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001

A super-strong Bock, but not an Eisbock.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of EKU 28 Alström Bros
4.59/5  rDev +18.3%

Wow!

The beer was poured into an EKU 28 glass. It had a 1 inch head that quickly dissolved. It was an amber color. Transparent.

The smell was amazing. I've never had a beer that was so fragrant with little to no head. It smelled like bread and butter with hints of banana.

The alcohol was very prevalent in the taste, but does not detract from the flavor at all. In fact this beer tastes like rum raisin cake. Delicious.

It felt moderately carbonated with medium body.

I wouldn't want more than one of these, but the one I had I was sad to see go. A sipping beer to savor and relish. (588 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +18%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Whoa. This must be a beer like no other. I'll let everyone else pick out the details, this beer is underrated, the brothers have it right. World class. The nose is...beer! We spend hours coming up with adjectives and descriptors for all sorts of brews while 28 just flat out nails it. It smells like beer, it tastes like beer- sweet, sharp, grain, and booze. It packs of punch of alcohol that seems to carry a tiny note of every beer you've ever had. It's plenty thick on the palate and more complex than most. German copper totes the load, this ones a stud. (566 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Presentation: 11.2oz brown bottle. No bottled on date; don't really need one for a beer with this strenth, but for vintage purposes it might be nice.

Appearance: Light copper in colour with an active level of medium sized carbonation bubbles. Head is thin, white and creamy with a slight syrupy stick to the glass.

Smell: Mega malts (mostly caramel), deep, rich fruity esters and a strong alcohol nose.

Taste: Thick, full-bodied, syrupy and luscious on the palate. Luckily this is broken up by the lively carbonation for some balance. First flavour to emerge is a rather spicy (and warming) alcohol that delivers one hell of a kick to the palate, then the head. Malt comes next, and it's massive, rich and sweet with a caramel, milky chocolate and candied backbone. Strong oak and vanilla flavours are also present, along with a sort of date / fig sweetness. Juicy fruit flavours (all kinds: apple, pineapple, mango, honeydew mellon, etc) follow, then a buttery bicuity malt character soothes the palate into the finish. Bitterness is there, but it seems to smooth in with all of the other flavours, offering a much needed flavour balance to counter the sweet and strong malts.

Notes: This is a beer to be sipped, savoured and respected. For the style, it's also very well balanced and perhaps one of the best eisbocks I've ever tasted. Powerful. Complex. Balanced. Tasty. Hell yeah! (1,395 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Holy cow, this stuff knocks you off your feet, thats if your standing. Color of this is a solid copper with a small off-white head. The aroma is very alcoholic and deep fruityness like a flavored vodka or something. It has some cherry and sugary caramel dark maltyness to it thats just heavenly. Then the taste, watch it now, it says "hi" very quickly. You say hello back by going, "Whew, wow, holy smokes thats strong!" You sip again and the dark fruit and maltyness just settles with very nice tones of caramel, cherry, toffee and other fruits of ripeness lingering around in there. Super complex, inviting, subtle and strong, I'm sorry,did I already say it was strong. The feel is full, rich and a bit deep, some chewyness and butterness with a that alcohol warmness that makes this a serious sipper. And a good sipper at that. (830 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +17.5%

i'll be brief on this one because this is an experience that will be very different from person to person and the bottle temp is as important as its age in evaluating this beer. if you like big beer this is the circus fat lady of big drink it slow and share it with a friend. also this is a good beer to lay down and enjoy aged. malt, malt, malt!! (347 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +17.5%

Presentation: 12oz bottle, poured into a brandy snifter

Appearance: Poured a clear, dark brownish red. Very nice color indeed. Not much head, and what little formed, disappeared shortly after the pour. But to be expected, really.

Aroma: This beer has a heavenly aroma. I just sat there with my nose in the snifter for at least a minute before taking the first sip. There is a big fruity aroma, with a lot of caramel malt and definite rummy alcohol.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is still there, but not much. Which in this case is just enough. Big malt flavor that is sweet, but not at all cloying. Complex fruitiness and spicy alcohol blend well with the malt to make this a very tasty, interesting beer.

Notes: This is a tremendous sipping beer. I must have savored this for an hour, with half the time spent enjoying its incredible bouquet. Very good beer for coming in out of the cold. (935 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a lovely, deep, coppery amber with a small, short lasting white head. No lacing, the liquid oozing down the side, quite obviously a lot of alcohol in this just by looking at it. The aroma is also warmed by the alcohol, but it doesn't interfere with the warm toasted, caramelized malts, in fact they help each other out, all very sweet and makes me want to jump into...

The taste, is quite exquisite. Everything in the nose, but much more, more intense, each bit enveloping the other. Quite a complex beer, with rich and juicy fruits of plum, cherry, a little fig perhaps, toasty and sweet, not too much hop if any, the alcohol blazing a path but still out of the way, countering the malt from being too cloying. The mouth is full, rich, warm, very nice, and surprisingly drinkable for such a high alcohol, very sweet beer, which says a lot about the quality of this beer. (878 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%

Now playing: Phil Lawrence "The Sheik of Araby" (S9 Radio)

Pours into the glass a deep honey-ruby color, with an off-white tight two finger head that quickly disapates to a head that just covers the brew, but doesn't break.

Now Playng: The Talking Heads "City of Dreams" (S9 Radio)

As I go to smell it, the head breaks...pour a little more to kick it up and.... Strong alcohol nose- almost a pungent licorice aroma, with some papaya and orange, and a spicy undertone.

The flavour has some of the licorice notes, but thinnner and flatter- and not unpleasantly so. This change in the quality is good for the flavour. It's a bit woody on the end, with some alcohol rising just at the end. Veyr nice. Not a beer that attacks your mouth- but rather, one that feels like it was designed to fit inside.

The carbonation rises quickly at the front (a medium carbonation), then falls quickly, revealing a slightly thick but not syrupy liquid.

Now Playing: The Asylum Street Spankers "I Don't Wanna" (S9 Radio)

I give this one top numbers on drinkability. It just FEELS right to me. 11% be damned...I'd still drink it all night. Just be kind to me, and take my car keys from me.

Be well
-UF (1,205 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pokal glass.

Appearance is a beautiful shade of orange-red with lots of lively carbonation bubbles that form a one inch thick off-white head. It doesn't leave much lacing but damn does the color look good.

Aroma is exploding with sweet caramel and toffee notes, a massive fruitiness reminiscent of rum raisins, figs, and general candied fruits. A slight alcohol presence as well, but it only adds to the complexity.

Taste has the huge sweet caramel malt presence to start, but it also seems to have a bit of a turbinado sugar type taste as well. The huge fruitiness kicks into gear next again with lots of raisin and fig type flavors. The finish remains sweet but there is a very slight tinge of cocoa-like bitterness that shows up, as well as a light alcohol warming effect.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, very chewy texture to it, but it has a nice creaminess with some crispness characteristic of lagers.

This was one fine brew. Underrated! I would compare it to Samichlaus, though not quite as rich. I would call it the next best thing, which is pretty damn great by the way. I was weary of spending $18.99 for a six pack of this, but I feel it was worth it. This is one for aging and at under $3.50 a bottle I feel that I cheated the store. (1,290 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16%

This was one of first beers that I bought as a "just to try" awhile ago (before I became a member) and I had remembered it as just being a strong beer though I do remember liking it.

However, since I had had a multitude of beers since then, I decided that I needed to try it again to give it a proper rating. As you can tell from the rating, I do still like it quite a bit, though I'm not 100% on the doppelbock classification. It could be that I haven't had enough doppelbocks to truly grasp the category or it could be that this is just in a category of its own (I would lean that way).

It's not really all that sweet until you get to almost the very end of the swallow and then a bit of bitterness sticks around for a little while on the aftertaste. In all honesty it doesn't have much of a taste up front as all of the action seems to happen toward the end of each drink as it's not until the aftertaste that you truly get the flavor and an appreciation of the malt. It's a very interesting and complex beer. (1,020 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I see this bottle a lot, but never knew what it was. I just figured it was a Euro pale lager or something light, thin, and with a low ABV. Nope. I was wrong! Its a Doppelbock and is 11% alcohol by volume. I am not familiar with this beer or this brewery, but am excited to try this. There are a few beers from this brewing company on the list. Oh, and it was fun learning where the 287 comes from. That is the beer's original gravity. Fun! I don't have any expectations for this, so hopefully it's good!

In the Glass: It has a nice amber color… almost red in the glass. The head is thin white, and there is little lace. Looking at the beer next to the bottle makes me want to go to Europe. Oh, and I am sick of beers coming in smaller bottles. I am used to the big bombers, but this one is only 11.2 ounces. Don't worry, we have about 10 bombers in the fridge waiting to be consumed. The AleSmith Speedway Stout is one I am REALLY excited to drink.

Nose: That smells like a Euro pale lager. Doppelbocks are typically smokey and have a nice "camp fire" aroma, but this is bland, boring, and there are some somewhat sweet notes creeping in. This smells like those cheap high ABV beers from Russia. Before-After is one that comes to mind. If you have never tried that beer, grab a bottle. The label is worth the price of the beer! A second whiff isn't doing much for me. If the aroma is any inclination on the flavor, I will like it. Beers like this are easy to drink and pack a punch. Let's see!

Flavor: Yep, that is the flavor I expect. The flavor is sweet, and has a nice finish. But whoa… what happens in the finish. There is the smokey flavors I expect when drinking a Doopelbock. But the flavor is intense, and when I say, "packs a punch", it does. You taste the 11%. The burp is nice, too. The sweet flavors come rushing back. For only $3.29, you can afford 6… but might only need a few! On my second sip, I swished the beer around in my mouth a little. The carbonation was obvious, and it became almost sour. I would love to see them get that flavor in the beer without the added work!

Mouthfeel: The beer is thin and boring on the front of the palate, but toward the back it really heats up. Not literally… well, the alcohol starts to become obvious. The flavor really hits the back half of the tongue, and on the sides of the tongue at that. As you swallow, the finish is smooth and the spicy smokey flavors take over. Then, my favorite part… the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I wish more beers had an aftertaste like this. The mouthfeel is thick, and when you swallow the beer becomes sweet, but quickly turns to that expected smokey flavor. Every time I swallow it becomes more dry and more balanced, but the smokey flavor remains. If you want to experience a true Doppelbock, grab a bottle of Cinder Bock from the small batch Sam Adams collection. It is liquid smoke, and delicious!

I didn't have expectations here, but I love it. It is sweet, loaded with booze, and I can see myself drinking a jug of this stuff. I wonder if they serve this by the jug in Germany… I am sure they do. Let's go find out. Prost! (3,136 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +15.7%

A raging lcebock.
Pours a golden orange color. With a fizzy off white head.
Nose consists of raisin bread notes, fig, some molasses and alcohol.
Taste contains all of these as well. With emphasis on fig and molasses. Caramel tones are evident as are faint vanilla and oak. Alcohol is almost blistering....but not neccessarily bad.

Thick mouthfeel is balanced with a decent CO2 level. Syrupy and sticky, yet still smooth.
If you are looking to be punished by a huge malt beast...look no further. Plus, it is pretty tasty and complex to boot
(551 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +15.7%

Had this beer twice in one day: first as a 4 oz. taster pour at Portland International Beerfest, second in a goblet (16 oz.!) at Concordia Ale House.

A: A caramel orange-brown with a minimal head. Looks like a brown cloudy beer, nothing special...

S: Rich malty smell, a candy/toffee sweetness. Hints of spices like nutmeg or cinnamon, dark fruit, alcohol. I swear I smelled mint, too. All nicely layered and comingled.

T: A "wow" taste for me - remarkable layers of toffee sweetness, fruit, bittersweet chocolate/cocoa, smoked wood, and ever-present alcohol warmth, like bourbon.

M: Nice full-bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation gives a little prickliness, but generally a smooth beer.

D: Terrific flavor and smell, to be enjoyed in moderation. High alcohol level (Germany's "strongest beer"?!?!) and complex flavors make this one to be savored with dinner or dessert. I had mine with a dinner of a bacon & blue cheese burger and fries; they went quite well together. (967 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

I'm updating my previous review because my recent bottles of EKU 28 are better than what I described in my previous rating...

Big malty/toffee aroma you pretty much only get from a true German bock brew. Very, VERY nice! Actually, there's also a strong fruitiness which you don't get all that often in a German lager. Even so, it's a "clean" fruitiness so you know it's still a lager. Beautiful amber color with a slight head, but one that seems to stick around. After pouring it into a glass, the appearance and aroma of this brew just make me want to immediately take a sip! Carbonation is decent and appropriate for the style, but some previous bottles have been too low. Flavor is a malt assault on the tongue combined with some heat from the alcohol. The flavor improves on the aroma with a huge malty/toffee explosion on the tongue. I get ripe fruits...perhaps some apple, but even more I'm getting some beautiful ripe pear flavors. Have you ever forked over the money to buy some Harry and David's Royal Riviera pears? They're expensive, but ohhh so good...nature's candy! Anyway, I definitely get some of that great, ripe, Oregon pear character in this brew. When I first tasted this beer ten years ago, I wasn't crazy about it. Now, it's one of my (occasional) favorites. It's not something I would drink often, but I love to keep some on hand for the times when I'm in the mood...and it seems to hold up incredibly well in my fridge for long periods of time. There's no denying EKU 28 is a malty brew...even for German standards, yet it still has a nice, clean-fermented lager taste. Even though the malt character is strong, I don't think this brew goes too far with its maltiness. Take Vetter 33 on tap in Heidelberg for comparison. Vetter 33 is too over-the-top malty, and has way too much of an unfermented malt-syrup taste. EKU 28 on the other hand, is much more drinkable and thoroughly fermented. I really enjoy this brew, but I can imagine that some don't because it's a bit extreme. EKU 28 has definitely become a brew I've come to love over the years. If you disagree that's okay, that just leaves more for me! (2,131 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

I had this beer some months ago, and as always I have made notes in writing while tasting. I have no idea how the note (paper)fell behind the computer desk. Anyway, I found it today, and I realize that I have never typed this review, so I need to do that now.

I am going by my recordings from November:

pours amber-coloured with hick high head of yellow-ish beige.

Nose is kinda sweet.

First sip - WOW!
Tastes like liquor!
Well, above 11% alc.Vol. is the explanation...

Mouthfeel is smooth and sweet, very malty, and mildly carbonated. This is really a great beer! (570 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Malt and alcohol. Sweet, but not overly so. Proves that you don't need to cram a ton of hops into a beer to make it tasty and satisfying. If there was a such thing as Samichlaus Light, I imagine it would taste like this. Try it if you can find it. (247 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours an amber colored clear brew.

Smell is sweet and very malty lots of fruit smell with a strong cherry scent.

Taste is very sweet and fruity, intense fruit flavor. Hard to breakout individual fruit flavors it tastes like juicy fruit.

Mouthfeel is thick.

An intense Eisenbock probably too much for most but those that seek this stuff out know to expect a powerful brew. Based on that I give a high Drinkability score. (431 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Was pretty sure this was similar to Samichlaus which I consider the best lager in the world and one of the best beers I've had. That was also the beer that got me started in craft and extreme beers when an olde school Lager drinker (yes that's Yuengling Lager of course) years ago Googled "strongest lager in the world" ... So yes I knew I would like this.

Pours clear lots of bubbles shiny penny beautiful color, nicely carbonated, little head that doesn't hang around long, doesn't have to. Big malts aroma, notes of apples and pears, nutty and even a little mint. Aroma really hangs out for a good 1/2 hour after the bottle is done. Taste follows the aroma, very spicy but not annoyingly spicy, especially since I generally do not care for spiced beers. Very similar in look, smell and taste to world class Samichlaus. Great mouthfeel, alcohol is present but does not detract at all.

Wow what a treat this was. Grab couple more this weekend if still available at a very reasonable $3.50 per. Yesterday was an amazing lager day, I had this before dinner, Lager with Capone's excellent $.25 hot wings followed by a 16 oz Troegenator. You can really taste the similarities in all 3 beers, differing with the ABV of course. Someday I will have to do these 3 and a Samichlaus in ABV order. Going to Lagertown. (1,309 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

The first time I enjoyed this brew was at Taco Mac after I had already had a two other brews both weighing in at over 10% ABV, so a review at that time would have been...difficult.

Poured this one into a standard pint glass. Color is deep red, the beer is quite clear. A respectable amount of head, about an inch. Carbonation is quite impressive. I'm not a fan of highly carbonated beers, but the display of the bubbles in this brew is pretty cool.

Smell is quite strong. This is possibly one of the strongest smelling brews I've had. It's very sweet, but the sweetness has a very thick quality to it.

Taste is strong as well. This is a very malty sweet brew. Caramel sweetness dominates. It's very syrupy. Although you will detect the alcohol's presence, it's quite well hidden for an 11% brew.

Drinkability is great. This is one you'll enjoy, but enjoy slowly! (867 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

rich golden brown with fluffy white head

sweet, malty aroma with apples and slight citrus. faint notes of bready malt

sweet malt upfront with slight fruit notes mainly the apples, and slight lemon. good biscuity malt body with nice dry hops on the finish

light, smooth, no trace of the alcohol, and just the right amount of sweetness

a great beer, lots of smooth balanced flavors and no trace of the abv. (408 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Had the last bottle from that first six-pack. So I aged one bottle over one year from purchase.

Appearance- A vibrant, yet clear honey and brandy amber with a strong head that quickly fades after a minute. No lacing and mild bubbling.

Smell- A light port with some a mix of honey and candied fruits.

Taste- The alcohol lightened up nicely. It became better intermingled with the fruity, brandy flavored malts. Very good for sipping while reading a bit from my Homebrewing book.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and a little spicey with a thick and tight chewy texture. Fucking awesome before going to bed.

Something worth cellaring for a year, maybe two. (659 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

Update from 2 bottles enjoyed in Rothenburg on 30SEP03.... Medium copper color, clear, with plentiful carbonation. Tan head about 3/4"... can hear the carbonation and head bubbling. Lasts fairly well, with ok lace. Nose has lots of rich, sweet malt, and a dark fruit essence....quite nice! Body is better than medium, and it's real smooth...oh yeah! First sip and it's, like "wow!". Alcohol hits you, yet it is tasty sweet with toffee notes and a big warming effect. A nice one, but be careful!

overall: 4.4
appearance: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4.5

*** ***

Original review of 23MAR02 - EKU 28 has a nice copper color, with a very minimal head. Was expecting it to be a bit darker, actually. Sweetness and alcohol aromas abound... Whoa....first taste taken, and alcohol jumps on you; sweetness, too. Not exactly a bad thing, though! Has a medium to full body, and a wonderfull, full smoothness on the tongue! Very enjoyable, but keep an eye on how many you have....even 4.5 may be high on drinkability....sehr stark!! Prosit!! (4.0/5.0/5.0/5.0/4.5 = 4.75).

80 (1,098 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Deep amber, good off white head, leaves fast. Ring left.

S - Malty goodness implied.

T - Yow. I sent this off to my baking grandmother to confirm. Melting Kraft caramel. Yum. Not too cloying, reins in to a nice finish. Outstanding.

M - Medium body, great coating and carb, nice balance.

D - Big ABV, but could do a few. (328 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

Having this bottle at home, but I'm sure they have it at Bodega downtown La Crosse, too. Poured with a big, thick, foamy, luscious light tan head and some lace. Most head disappeared except for a thin cover. Nose was intensely malty, caramel, toffee, and bitter yeast. This is just out of my cold fridge and it's great; I know it'll be better as it warms. Still, the flavor is very good! Like the aroma but better. Great body. Very mouthfilling with just the right carbonation. Having it with a bowl of spicy congee. Good match. Nice finish that is yeast bitter at first fading to the above sweet flavors. Very rich, not a session beer; but one or two is fine. (660 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a small mug. The label lists the abv at 11% and there is a short description on the back.

Appearance: The body has a rich deep amber colored body with good clarity. On top, the head is small and fades quickly. It leaves only a small patch of thin lacy bubbles. This is all very slick and no lace sticks to the glass at all.

Smell: The aroma is interesting and not exactly what I had expected, in a good way. I get a slightly buttery note with some candy like (grape sucker) sweetness backing it up. There is only a very slight hop note way off in the background.

Taste/Palate: The flavor reminds me somewhat of a fortified wine. There is a mild alcoholic warmth throughout with notes of wine grapes and grape candy sweetness within a big malty body. Again as in the aroma, the hops are distant and offer very little bitterness. The palate is what I would expect with its carbonation and mouth feel are right on for the style.

Notes: I am defiantly a fan of this beer. (1,032 characters)

EKU 28 from Kulmbacher Brauerei AG