2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

EKU 28 - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

EKU 28EKU 28

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  11.00% ABV

A super-strong Bock, but not an Eisbock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
View: Beers (33) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of EKU 28 Alström Bros
Ratings: 581 | Reviews: 428 | Show All Ratings:
Tomas77

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I really like this beer. A clear looking doppelbock. Not many around.

Pours a copper/orange color with a non-lasting head of foam. Little lace on glass.Brilliant clarity. Lagers usually look this way.

Aroma is just unbelievable. The smell of toast when you wake up first thing in the morning without anything interupting it. Some grape notes or marmalade if you will show up on the toast later on. A pleasant surprise. Little hop comes through also. Alcohol present smooth but not hot.

Same grape fruity flavor shows up first before the toast does unlike the aroma. Very malty sweet(some maple syrup hints to it) up front but does finish a bit dry with not much lingering bitterness. Alcohol throughout.

A very rich complex mouthfeel. Full body. Alcohol tingling on the tongue.

Exellent beer all around. Very balanced for a doppelbock. Nice job.

02-19-2009 03:26:00 | More by Tomas77
jdoolin

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Presentation: 12oz bottle, poured into a brandy snifter

Appearance: Poured a clear, dark brownish red. Very nice color indeed. Not much head, and what little formed, disappeared shortly after the pour. But to be expected, really.

Aroma: This beer has a heavenly aroma. I just sat there with my nose in the snifter for at least a minute before taking the first sip. There is a big fruity aroma, with a lot of caramel malt and definite rummy alcohol.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is still there, but not much. Which in this case is just enough. Big malt flavor that is sweet, but not at all cloying. Complex fruitiness and spicy alcohol blend well with the malt to make this a very tasty, interesting beer.

Notes: This is a tremendous sipping beer. I must have savored this for an hour, with half the time spent enjoying its incredible bouquet. Very good beer for coming in out of the cold.

11-18-2006 05:33:44 | More by jdoolin
TippySelenoid

Missouri

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Wow!

The beer was poured into an EKU 28 glass. It had a 1 inch head that quickly dissolved. It was an amber color. Transparent.

The smell was amazing. I've never had a beer that was so fragrant with little to no head. It smelled like bread and butter with hints of banana.

The alcohol was very prevalent in the taste, but does not detract from the flavor at all. In fact this beer tastes like rum raisin cake. Delicious.

It felt moderately carbonated with medium body.

I wouldn't want more than one of these, but the one I had I was sad to see go. A sipping beer to savor and relish.

03-24-2008 17:22:52 | More by TippySelenoid
UncleFlip

Alabama

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

Now playing: Phil Lawrence "The Sheik of Araby" (S9 Radio)

Pours into the glass a deep honey-ruby color, with an off-white tight two finger head that quickly disapates to a head that just covers the brew, but doesn't break.

Now Playng: The Talking Heads "City of Dreams" (S9 Radio)

As I go to smell it, the head breaks...pour a little more to kick it up and.... Strong alcohol nose- almost a pungent licorice aroma, with some papaya and orange, and a spicy undertone.

The flavour has some of the licorice notes, but thinnner and flatter- and not unpleasantly so. This change in the quality is good for the flavour. It's a bit woody on the end, with some alcohol rising just at the end. Veyr nice. Not a beer that attacks your mouth- but rather, one that feels like it was designed to fit inside.

The carbonation rises quickly at the front (a medium carbonation), then falls quickly, revealing a slightly thick but not syrupy liquid.

Now Playing: The Asylum Street Spankers "I Don't Wanna" (S9 Radio)

I give this one top numbers on drinkability. It just FEELS right to me. 11% be damned...I'd still drink it all night. Just be kind to me, and take my car keys from me.

Be well
-UF

10-06-2005 05:11:55 | More by UncleFlip
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

Had this beer twice in one day: first as a 4 oz. taster pour at Portland International Beerfest, second in a goblet (16 oz.!) at Concordia Ale House.

A: A caramel orange-brown with a minimal head. Looks like a brown cloudy beer, nothing special...

S: Rich malty smell, a candy/toffee sweetness. Hints of spices like nutmeg or cinnamon, dark fruit, alcohol. I swear I smelled mint, too. All nicely layered and comingled.

T: A "wow" taste for me - remarkable layers of toffee sweetness, fruit, bittersweet chocolate/cocoa, smoked wood, and ever-present alcohol warmth, like bourbon.

M: Nice full-bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation gives a little prickliness, but generally a smooth beer.

D: Terrific flavor and smell, to be enjoyed in moderation. High alcohol level (Germany's "strongest beer"?!?!) and complex flavors make this one to be savored with dinner or dessert. I had mine with a dinner of a bacon & blue cheese burger and fries; they went quite well together.

07-22-2006 00:57:08 | More by msubulldog25
ohmybock

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

I'm updating my previous review because my recent bottles of EKU 28 are better than what I described in my previous rating...

Big malty/toffee aroma you pretty much only get from a true German bock brew. Very, VERY nice! Actually, there's also a strong fruitiness which you don't get all that often in a German lager. Even so, it's a "clean" fruitiness so you know it's still a lager. Beautiful amber color with a slight head, but one that seems to stick around. After pouring it into a glass, the appearance and aroma of this brew just make me want to immediately take a sip! Carbonation is decent and appropriate for the style, but some previous bottles have been too low. Flavor is a malt assault on the tongue combined with some heat from the alcohol. The flavor improves on the aroma with a huge malty/toffee explosion on the tongue. I get ripe fruits...perhaps some apple, but even more I'm getting some beautiful ripe pear flavors. Have you ever forked over the money to buy some Harry and David's Royal Riviera pears? They're expensive, but ohhh so good...nature's candy! Anyway, I definitely get some of that great, ripe, Oregon pear character in this brew. When I first tasted this beer ten years ago, I wasn't crazy about it. Now, it's one of my (occasional) favorites. It's not something I would drink often, but I love to keep some on hand for the times when I'm in the mood...and it seems to hold up incredibly well in my fridge for long periods of time. There's no denying EKU 28 is a malty brew...even for German standards, yet it still has a nice, clean-fermented lager taste. Even though the malt character is strong, I don't think this brew goes too far with its maltiness. Take Vetter 33 on tap in Heidelberg for comparison. Vetter 33 is too over-the-top malty, and has way too much of an unfermented malt-syrup taste. EKU 28 on the other hand, is much more drinkable and thoroughly fermented. I really enjoy this brew, but I can imagine that some don't because it's a bit extreme. EKU 28 has definitely become a brew I've come to love over the years. If you disagree that's okay, that just leaves more for me!

05-28-2007 22:59:43 | More by ohmybock
Bierfreund

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%

I had this beer some months ago, and as always I have made notes in writing while tasting. I have no idea how the note (paper)fell behind the computer desk. Anyway, I found it today, and I realize that I have never typed this review, so I need to do that now.

I am going by my recordings from November:

pours amber-coloured with hick high head of yellow-ish beige.

Nose is kinda sweet.

First sip - WOW!
Tastes like liquor!
Well, above 11% alc.Vol. is the explanation...

Mouthfeel is smooth and sweet, very malty, and mildly carbonated. This is really a great beer!

05-07-2009 22:40:48 | More by Bierfreund
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I see this bottle a lot, but never knew what it was. I just figured it was a Euro pale lager or something light, thin, and with a low ABV. Nope. I was wrong! Its a Doppelbock and is 11% alcohol by volume. I am not familiar with this beer or this brewery, but am excited to try this. There are a few beers from this brewing company on the list. Oh, and it was fun learning where the 287 comes from. That is the beer's original gravity. Fun! I don't have any expectations for this, so hopefully it's good!

In the Glass: It has a nice amber color… almost red in the glass. The head is thin white, and there is little lace. Looking at the beer next to the bottle makes me want to go to Europe. Oh, and I am sick of beers coming in smaller bottles. I am used to the big bombers, but this one is only 11.2 ounces. Don't worry, we have about 10 bombers in the fridge waiting to be consumed. The AleSmith Speedway Stout is one I am REALLY excited to drink.

Nose: That smells like a Euro pale lager. Doppelbocks are typically smokey and have a nice "camp fire" aroma, but this is bland, boring, and there are some somewhat sweet notes creeping in. This smells like those cheap high ABV beers from Russia. Before-After is one that comes to mind. If you have never tried that beer, grab a bottle. The label is worth the price of the beer! A second whiff isn't doing much for me. If the aroma is any inclination on the flavor, I will like it. Beers like this are easy to drink and pack a punch. Let's see!

Flavor: Yep, that is the flavor I expect. The flavor is sweet, and has a nice finish. But whoa… what happens in the finish. There is the smokey flavors I expect when drinking a Doopelbock. But the flavor is intense, and when I say, "packs a punch", it does. You taste the 11%. The burp is nice, too. The sweet flavors come rushing back. For only $3.29, you can afford 6… but might only need a few! On my second sip, I swished the beer around in my mouth a little. The carbonation was obvious, and it became almost sour. I would love to see them get that flavor in the beer without the added work!

Mouthfeel: The beer is thin and boring on the front of the palate, but toward the back it really heats up. Not literally… well, the alcohol starts to become obvious. The flavor really hits the back half of the tongue, and on the sides of the tongue at that. As you swallow, the finish is smooth and the spicy smokey flavors take over. Then, my favorite part… the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I wish more beers had an aftertaste like this. The mouthfeel is thick, and when you swallow the beer becomes sweet, but quickly turns to that expected smokey flavor. Every time I swallow it becomes more dry and more balanced, but the smokey flavor remains. If you want to experience a true Doppelbock, grab a bottle of Cinder Bock from the small batch Sam Adams collection. It is liquid smoke, and delicious!

I didn't have expectations here, but I love it. It is sweet, loaded with booze, and I can see myself drinking a jug of this stuff. I wonder if they serve this by the jug in Germany… I am sure they do. Let's go find out. Prost!

03-18-2013 21:36:25 | More by rickyleepotts
scruffwhor

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Had the last bottle from that first six-pack. So I aged one bottle over one year from purchase.

Appearance- A vibrant, yet clear honey and brandy amber with a strong head that quickly fades after a minute. No lacing and mild bubbling.

Smell- A light port with some a mix of honey and candied fruits.

Taste- The alcohol lightened up nicely. It became better intermingled with the fruity, brandy flavored malts. Very good for sipping while reading a bit from my Homebrewing book.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and a little spicey with a thick and tight chewy texture. Fucking awesome before going to bed.

Something worth cellaring for a year, maybe two.

02-18-2007 00:30:28 | More by scruffwhor
roadhouse

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pokal glass.

Appearance is a beautiful shade of orange-red with lots of lively carbonation bubbles that form a one inch thick off-white head. It doesn't leave much lacing but damn does the color look good.

Aroma is exploding with sweet caramel and toffee notes, a massive fruitiness reminiscent of rum raisins, figs, and general candied fruits. A slight alcohol presence as well, but it only adds to the complexity.

Taste has the huge sweet caramel malt presence to start, but it also seems to have a bit of a turbinado sugar type taste as well. The huge fruitiness kicks into gear next again with lots of raisin and fig type flavors. The finish remains sweet but there is a very slight tinge of cocoa-like bitterness that shows up, as well as a light alcohol warming effect.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, very chewy texture to it, but it has a nice creaminess with some crispness characteristic of lagers.

This was one fine brew. Underrated! I would compare it to Samichlaus, though not quite as rich. I would call it the next best thing, which is pretty damn great by the way. I was weary of spending $18.99 for a six pack of this, but I feel it was worth it. This is one for aging and at under $3.50 a bottle I feel that I cheated the store.

03-24-2009 01:04:09 | More by roadhouse
srandycarter

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Deep amber, good off white head, leaves fast. Ring left.

S - Malty goodness implied.

T - Yow. I sent this off to my baking grandmother to confirm. Melting Kraft caramel. Yum. Not too cloying, reins in to a nice finish. Outstanding.

M - Medium body, great coating and carb, nice balance.

D - Big ABV, but could do a few.

08-17-2009 05:25:04 | More by srandycarter
RacerX5k

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%

Was pretty sure this was similar to Samichlaus which I consider the best lager in the world and one of the best beers I've had. That was also the beer that got me started in craft and extreme beers when an olde school Lager drinker (yes that's Yuengling Lager of course) years ago Googled "strongest lager in the world" ... So yes I knew I would like this.

Pours clear lots of bubbles shiny penny beautiful color, nicely carbonated, little head that doesn't hang around long, doesn't have to. Big malts aroma, notes of apples and pears, nutty and even a little mint. Aroma really hangs out for a good 1/2 hour after the bottle is done. Taste follows the aroma, very spicy but not annoyingly spicy, especially since I generally do not care for spiced beers. Very similar in look, smell and taste to world class Samichlaus. Great mouthfeel, alcohol is present but does not detract at all.

Wow what a treat this was. Grab couple more this weekend if still available at a very reasonable $3.50 per. Yesterday was an amazing lager day, I had this before dinner, Lager with Capone's excellent $.25 hot wings followed by a 16 oz Troegenator. You can really taste the similarities in all 3 beers, differing with the ABV of course. Someday I will have to do these 3 and a Samichlaus in ABV order. Going to Lagertown.

04-11-2014 18:53:24 | More by RacerX5k
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Update from 2 bottles enjoyed in Rothenburg on 30SEP03.... Medium copper color, clear, with plentiful carbonation. Tan head about 3/4"... can hear the carbonation and head bubbling. Lasts fairly well, with ok lace. Nose has lots of rich, sweet malt, and a dark fruit essence....quite nice! Body is better than medium, and it's real smooth...oh yeah! First sip and it's, like "wow!". Alcohol hits you, yet it is tasty sweet with toffee notes and a big warming effect. A nice one, but be careful!

overall: 4.4
appearance: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4.5

*** ***

Original review of 23MAR02 - EKU 28 has a nice copper color, with a very minimal head. Was expecting it to be a bit darker, actually. Sweetness and alcohol aromas abound... Whoa....first taste taken, and alcohol jumps on you; sweetness, too. Not exactly a bad thing, though! Has a medium to full body, and a wonderfull, full smoothness on the tongue! Very enjoyable, but keep an eye on how many you have....even 4.5 may be high on drinkability....sehr stark!! Prosit!! (4.0/5.0/5.0/5.0/4.5 = 4.75).

03-23-2002 20:32:56 | More by Bierman9
cokes

Wisconsin

A raging lcebock.
Pours a golden orange color. With a fizzy off white head.
Nose consists of raisin bread notes, fig, some molasses and alcohol.
Taste contains all of these as well. With emphasis on fig and molasses. Caramel tones are evident as are faint vanilla and oak. Alcohol is almost blistering....but not neccessarily bad.

Thick mouthfeel is balanced with a decent CO2 level. Syrupy and sticky, yet still smooth.
If you are looking to be punished by a huge malt beast...look no further. Plus, it is pretty tasty and complex to boot

05-26-2002 23:52:52 | More by cokes
Zorro

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Pours an amber colored clear brew.

Smell is sweet and very malty lots of fruit smell with a strong cherry scent.

Taste is very sweet and fruity, intense fruit flavor. Hard to breakout individual fruit flavors it tastes like juicy fruit.

Mouthfeel is thick.

An intense Eisenbock probably too much for most but those that seek this stuff out know to expect a powerful brew. Based on that I give a high Drinkability score.

08-30-2004 02:18:35 | More by Zorro
GCBrewingCo

4.47/5  rDev +14%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear amber golden with a white low head which barely wisped at the surface of the liquid in in hopes it might touch the glass and leave it's mark.

The aroma was nicely nutty with a Munich malt character and a strong caramel impression of maltiness. Raisins and plums, but not quite prunes, were present in the aroma with just a bit of spicy phenolics from the higher alcohols.

The flavor was very well done indeed. The beer contaced the palate with malty flavors of caramel and fruits. The fruits were most prevalent as raisins and plums. The alcohol in the flavor only enhanced the malty complexity and the bitttering in the beer was only enough to balance the scale. Munich and other malts comprise the flavor lending an excellent flavor with pefect sweetness that was not overdone.

The finish was nicely just dry leaving the impression of malt and fruits with hints of alcohol so you might grasp the glass and yearn for more. The body was medium full and well done. Alcohols were present thoughout, but only as an enhancement, not to the detriment. The beer was complex and interesting and made me wonder why I had left this gem in the back of the fridge so long to await my consumption.

11.2 ounce bottle. $2.50 at Lee & Edwards in Roanoke, VA. Code date 1318615 (whatever that means). This had probably been in the fridge two years.

06-10-2005 21:38:57 | More by GCBrewingCo
bitterthebetter

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +14%

rich golden brown with fluffy white head

sweet, malty aroma with apples and slight citrus. faint notes of bready malt

sweet malt upfront with slight fruit notes mainly the apples, and slight lemon. good biscuity malt body with nice dry hops on the finish

light, smooth, no trace of the alcohol, and just the right amount of sweetness

a great beer, lots of smooth balanced flavors and no trace of the abv.

08-08-2008 04:55:35 | More by bitterthebetter
Deus1138

4.47/5  rDev +14%

The first time I enjoyed this brew was at Taco Mac after I had already had a two other brews both weighing in at over 10% ABV, so a review at that time would have been...difficult.

Poured this one into a standard pint glass. Color is deep red, the beer is quite clear. A respectable amount of head, about an inch. Carbonation is quite impressive. I'm not a fan of highly carbonated beers, but the display of the bubbles in this brew is pretty cool.

Smell is quite strong. This is possibly one of the strongest smelling brews I've had. It's very sweet, but the sweetness has a very thick quality to it.

Taste is strong as well. This is a very malty sweet brew. Caramel sweetness dominates. It's very syrupy. Although you will detect the alcohol's presence, it's quite well hidden for an 11% brew.

Drinkability is great. This is one you'll enjoy, but enjoy slowly!

11-09-2008 03:53:28 | More by Deus1138
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

Having this bottle at home, but I'm sure they have it at Bodega downtown La Crosse, too. Poured with a big, thick, foamy, luscious light tan head and some lace. Most head disappeared except for a thin cover. Nose was intensely malty, caramel, toffee, and bitter yeast. This is just out of my cold fridge and it's great; I know it'll be better as it warms. Still, the flavor is very good! Like the aroma but better. Great body. Very mouthfilling with just the right carbonation. Having it with a bowl of spicy congee. Good match. Nice finish that is yeast bitter at first fading to the above sweet flavors. Very rich, not a session beer; but one or two is fine.

03-24-2007 23:52:41 | More by drpimento
cindyjeffsmith

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

EKU 28.
appearance - pale red. Decent head for 11%.
smell - fruity, sweet. Sherry or Port like.
taste - Oh my...that's nice. A little more subdued than the nose led me to expect, but very nice indeed.
mouthfeel - full and just the right amount of creamy,
drinkability - This'll creep up on you. Very smooth.

11-24-2009 01:26:57 | More by cindyjeffsmith
generallee

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a small mug. The label lists the abv at 11% and there is a short description on the back.

Appearance: The body has a rich deep amber colored body with good clarity. On top, the head is small and fades quickly. It leaves only a small patch of thin lacy bubbles. This is all very slick and no lace sticks to the glass at all.

Smell: The aroma is interesting and not exactly what I had expected, in a good way. I get a slightly buttery note with some candy like (grape sucker) sweetness backing it up. There is only a very slight hop note way off in the background.

Taste/Palate: The flavor reminds me somewhat of a fortified wine. There is a mild alcoholic warmth throughout with notes of wine grapes and grape candy sweetness within a big malty body. Again as in the aroma, the hops are distant and offer very little bitterness. The palate is what I would expect with its carbonation and mouth feel are right on for the style.

Notes: I am defiantly a fan of this beer.

11-29-2010 19:06:20 | More by generallee
genaro

4.43/5  rDev +13%

The light amber color of this beer belies its potency. The coffee colored head is nothing exceptional. But, beginning with the aroma this beer takes off. The aroma is fruity and citrusy with traces of figs, apples, toffee, and alcohol. It has a complex mouthfeel that is thick, syrupy, and oily. The taste is malty sweet with alcohol, toffee and figs with just a little bitterness. The finish is sweet and a little chewey. Its high alcohol content makes this a good cold night beer to relax around the house with.

01-03-2004 22:13:16 | More by genaro
Brandt

Montana

4.43/5  rDev +13%

this beer poured out a golden yellow amber color with a quickly diminishing but, rocky while it lasted, off white head

the smell here is strong of rich caramels and rasin as well as toffee and a grassy hop aroma as well as an aromatic similar to an apple

the flavor is rich caramel and toffee sort of mixed together as well as a vanilla character that comes through. there is also a rasiny rum like flavor with a faintly nutty background.

the finish for this particular brew was a medium to full body with a thinning alcohol on the tongue that leaves a warming sweetness behind. this is a great tasting strong beer and not very expensive at that. a good beer for a cold night!

11-23-2009 21:32:33 | More by Brandt
lakersfan16

Alaska

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Pours a dark amber, almost copperish, with an off-white head. Aroma of sweet fruit including raisins, pears, and prunes. Fairly sweet and rich beer with a lot of alcohol, although it is not overwhelming. Very tasty overall, make sure to enjoy.

For the price you pay, this has got to be one of the best values around for a beer of this quality and style.

06-30-2011 16:19:58 | More by lakersfan16
Jason

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

11.2 oz slender brown bottle with a foiled top, a freshness date is printed on the front label. On the back label is a somewhat disturbing picture of a drunk German man pointing at his stein.

Deep copper hue, very clear with a head that disappears quickly, I guess the more this ages the more the head takes a hit. As I poured it the carbonation struggles to reach the top.

Straight up clean alcohol with a huge ripe fruit aroma, rum raisin comes to mind as well as over ripe apples. An underlying caramel note show that there is a huge maltiness within.

Mouth feel is creamy beyond belief, carbonation is still intact with a viscous rolling feeling as it caresses the palate. Thick on malt, big on sweetness but not out of balance at all. The alcohol rips through the mouth with a big fruity ester and solvent character that does not go overboard. Hops are there but very faint. Fruitiness is really ripe with slight banana and apple sweetness. Malt comes back with a thick syrup caramel flavour as the alcohol bursts again in a spicy kind of way. Finishes sweet with waves of alcohol fumes leaving the mouth and warming the body.

I gauged the head retention to be that way knowing it would be like that so I was not too disappointed, the aroma is simply amazing and the flavour crushed my palate for the rest of the night. As for the alcohol, this is a night cap brew. I’ll save the other bottle to have around the winter holidays.

07-31-2002 16:32:02 | More by Jason