EKU 28 - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

EKU 28EKU 28

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  11.00% ABV

A super-strong Bock, but not an Eisbock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
View: Beers (33) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of EKU 28 Alström Bros
AleWatcher

1.05/5  rDev -73.3%

My final beer from my gift membership to the Beer of the Month club.

Poured into mug.

So I had to double check the bottle when I poured this-- I couldn't believe how light the color was. This is like an orange-tinted dark gold. One finger head is gone in a few sips leaving only wispy bubbles behind. No lacing.

Smells of malts and alcohol. Spices too.

Taste has some sweetness up front before the booze takeover. This tastes and feels every bit of 11%. It doesn't mask it. Big spicy and peppery notes on the finish. Warm alcohol sensation in my throat. I'll be honest, I'm simply not a fan of this beer. I like many dopplebocks, but this is not counted among that list. This is unenjoyable for me to drink. The finish has an astringent cleaning product quality that males me think I just drank acetone.

The body feels sugary (like sugar in water-- gritty but not?) and syrupy.

Wow. Anyone want the rest of my bottles?

02-10-2011 04:23:58 | More by AleWatcher
Chugmonkey

Wisconsin

1.1/5  rDev -72%

Ugh, what did I do to deserve this? Always trying to be open-minded and expand my beer experience, but really paid for it this time. I struggled through it and actually finished this beast though. Not sure I'm proud of that or not?

Smells like alcohol, medicine, and is just wickedly intimidating. You know you're in trouble when your head jerks back after a whiff. Super syrupy and hard to swallow like some really old nasty cough syrup.

Not my cup of tea, shutter, shutter, cringe. If I want a buzz this bad I'll go jogging and get an exercise high. Beware, this is one bad a$$ elixer.

06-26-2008 15:45:48 | More by Chugmonkey
hotstuff

1.3/5  rDev -66.9%

I took one sip of this beer and I had only one comment to make about this beer to my BF and that was "yuck this tastes like medicine"!! When this beer was poured, it poured an off-white head with fine sized bubbles. The body was clear and the hue was amber. The nose was fruity.

07-16-2003 01:17:08 | More by hotstuff
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.5/5  rDev -61.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i know everyone has given this good comments, but this beer just wasn't for me, reminded me to much of thick cough syrup, maybe i'll have to try it again.

04-05-2002 18:22:45 | More by rastaman
Floydster

1.5/5  rDev -61.8%

11.2 ounce bottle purchased from La Bodega in Riverside for $3.29

Poured into my Russian River pint glass with light golden brown color and a 1/4 inch silky white head

Smell was nasty, smell was like a fruit salad, so sweet, this is when I became skeptical

Taste was one of the worst I have ever had, too sweet to even handle, made barelywine taste like a Budweiser, too much malt, not enough hops, worst eisbock flavor I have encountered

Taste does not seem to get out of my mouth unfortunately

Dad likes this beer and I have no idea how, would never drink again

Stay away, not even worth a dollar a bottle, let alone three and change

Nasty!

10-06-2007 03:40:08 | More by Floydster
giblet

1.55/5  rDev -60.6%

back the truck up...i either missed something or got a bad bottle of this. it poured well of copper tones with about three quarters head. nice carbonation. the smell was of skunked alcohol and metal. the taste was awful. tasted like old time stale cough medicine with metal twinge. i guess i will have this again with all the better reviews i may have missed something.

sorry but not for me.

giblet

07-26-2008 09:44:16 | More by giblet
AlexLMS

Portugal

1.7/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Appearance: very clear with an orange-bronze colour. The head is light brown, low with poor retention.
Aroma: alcoholic vinous, sweet caramels and red fruits.
Taste: oversweet, cloying and alcoholic.
Mouthfeel: mellow, reasonable carbonation, very high alcoholic strength (11% ABV) and a heavy body.
Finish: kind of harsh when you swallowed it and short alcoholic aftertaste.

Overall: sickly sweet. Interesting colour and aroma but not my style.

08-31-2007 21:02:03 | More by AlexLMS
BoulderBarrovecchio

1.79/5  rDev -54.5%

After the high ratings, I was really looking forward to this one. Wow was I disappointed. Smell was artificial bananas and some nuts, taste was straight rough alcohol. Not subtle at all, and there wasn't anything else there. Really wondering what happened here, Kulmbacher is now 0 for 2 in my book.

03-14-2014 03:08:10 | More by BoulderBarrovecchio
Sigmund

Norway

1.93/5  rDev -50.9%

Some initially pleasant oak and malts flavours are soon overwhelmed by a revolting alcoholic syrupy sweetness, making it almost impossible to finish a bottle. The eisbock style is not something I'll sample again - unless it's for free.

06-24-2002 00:00:01 | More by Sigmund

rixcat

06-30-2013 10:35:13 | More by rixcat
shbobdb

2.05/5  rDev -47.8%

Well now, this is an Eisbock, a german beer. However, the servers at my locale decided that rather than serving it with head and cold, they would serve it from a beer engine. Warm german beer is not something to be countenanced. I have no doubt that this beer would taste great if it were 1) cold and 2)had head.

But you can't always get what you want, can you? So, instead I was left with a beer that tasted like cherry cough syrup. Kinda felt like cherry cough syrup too. Since I like a malty beer the latter was fine but the former was just plain nasty.

Lemme try this one again sometime from the bottle. Maybe I'll have more positive things to say.

11-03-2005 17:46:47 | More by shbobdb
PatandDavid

2.08/5  rDev -47.1%

Well...I've had this before a long time ago, and I sorta remembered what I was in for...or so I thought.

One whiff of this, and I had something pop right into my mind: Sugar Daddy...like the candy we all enjoyed as kids.

Let's see: not a bad copper color, I could see little bubbles floating up in my glass. The aroma was a mix of the caramel and the medicinal...

The taste was very sweet, very syrupy, and like the smell: a mix of caramel and medicine. The 'medicine' taste comes from the high alcohol...it's one of those beers where you can taste the alcohol.

I finished this, but it's so sweet, alcoholic, and medicinal, I wonder who really enjoys this. There are much more enjoyable, better blended, tastier versions of high alcohol beers that I think EKU 28 is no longer 'the' word for high abv beers.

No more Sugar Daddies for me. pat

07-22-2003 10:58:15 | More by PatandDavid
greybeardloon

Rhode Island

2.13/5  rDev -45.8%

Poured into a Reidel O Burgundy tumbler.

A: Clear, tea colored, with an attractive, parchment-colored head that dissipates quickly. No lacing.

S: Very sweet malt overwhelms most everything else. I do get a couple of strong but fleeting whiffs of Band-Aid and of a baby girl who has been sitting in a wet diaper for too long. Alcohol comes through more clearly as the beer warms.

T: Cloyingly sweet malt. The sweetness is monolithic. Sometimes I think I'm picking up caramel or dried fruit or honey, but really it's just sweet. The high ABV is obvious. As the beer warms (and it has plenty of opportunity to do so), I get a touch of aspirin bitterness at the end.

M: Quite a nice, slightly viscous mouthfeel. The carbonation is just about right and keeps the beer from feeling too thick.

O: I really can't get past the overwhelming sweetness of this beer. I had this beer once before, and my impressions were largely the same. I couldn't finish that one either. If there were hummingbirds around, I would put this out for them.

Revisiting this beer in early 2013, I almost feel like I had a bad batch last time. I don't expect that is actually the case, but I don't get any of the obnoxious flavors I remember from last time I had this beer. In fact, I rather liked it.

04-15-2011 15:53:16 | More by greybeardloon
magictrokini

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

Pours clear mahogany with a tiny off-white head. Soapy, prune and raisins aroma, with heavy ethyl. Unusually viscous feeling in the mouth, which only makes the beer taste heavier. It tastes like overripe apples and raisins. Second and third swigs did not improve my feelings. Very disappointed. I let the drain sample the rest.

12-10-2008 17:21:10 | More by magictrokini
CajunMary13

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

07-13-2013 17:20:15 | More by CajunMary13
clabaugh

2.28/5  rDev -42%

Appearance: Pours a clear reddish amber. A delicate, sudsy head colored a light, goldish tan rests on top. Decent retention. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell: Grape, molasses, a barley-like maltiness, and a robust alcohol aroma. A tad medicinal. Some spice. Pepper?

Taste: Very winelike, tart, and bold in its alcohol presence. Brown sugar, and a bitter citric taste. Some acidity.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, and sticky. Really coats the mouth and lingers. Lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: Not a fan of the flavor nor the persistent aftertaste. The alcohol is quite apparent, and limits consumption. A completely new experience in beer for me, but not one I'm necessarily looking to repeat.

04-16-2006 17:33:39 | More by clabaugh
jasonpeckins32

2.33/5  rDev -40.7%

This one is a beautiful bright bronze color, but it lacks head retention and contains almost no visible carbonation at all. The nose is of sweet caramel malts. Very caramelly, very malty. The taste is slick and smooth, heavy on the liquid caramel, finishing with something a little sour. This one is incredibly oily and slick. Way overly oil. A lot more carbonation and a lot less canola oil would be wonderful. The label says 11% abv, but I would have never guessed it to be more than 6 or 7.

06-29-2005 13:04:27 | More by jasonpeckins32
TheDM

2.42/5  rDev -38.4%

Nice lively pour with a white/off white head of fine bubbles. It has an clear amber body with a fruity aroma. Initial taste was not one that I preferred. It had an acrid flavor with carbonated bubbles rising off my tongue. My feelings are that I don't much care for this brew.

07-01-2003 15:13:57 | More by TheDM
Lnedrive14

2.45/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

On tap at Sunset Bar and Grill:

I want to begin by noting that I love Eisbocks (see my review of Kurlmbacher). This eisbock, however, I did not enjoy.

Overly sweet - and then more sweet. Coupled with the high alcohol, I felt like I was drinking dimetap, infused with something borrowed from Palmeiro or Sosa. This shit was over-the-top. The alcohol presence was flat out overwhelming and the only thing to balance it was syrupy sweetness. I struggled to get through the 13oz pour. No head on this bad boy - barely any carbonation at all. The nose was basically more of the same.

Sorry my review isn't as specific as it could be. Didnt take great mental notes while drinking. However, the fact remains, at least on tap this one is nasty. Stay away.

12-11-2005 02:22:12 | More by Lnedrive14
goz

2.48/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours a clear brilliant red, with a medium tan head that quickly diminishes to a small ring, lace is non-existent. Aroma is mainly alcohol, somewhat whiskey-like, some maple syrup, slightly buttery. Flavor is cloying sweetness colbbered by over the top alcohol. This basically reminded me of alcoholic syrup or something, not all that enjoyable.

12-07-2003 20:27:26 | More by goz
Metz

Maryland

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

08-25-2013 01:19:47 | More by Metz
JerseyPaul

2.55/5  rDev -35.1%

Appearance: Clear, copper w/ dark orange highlights; good carbonation; light tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving slight lacing

Smell: Sweet w/ caramel & toffee notes; strong alcohol aroma

Taste: Nice caramel sweetness up front, but alcohol overpowers the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body; good carbonation; chewy & creamy

Drinkability: High ABV, plus strong alcohol aftertaste, make this a one & done

Overall, EKU 28 has a nice aroma & taste, but both are quickly overpowered by the alcohol. I'm had other versions of this style and enjoyed them, but this was a disappointment. Too much alcohol presence for me.

04-24-2010 19:49:19 | More by JerseyPaul