EKU 28 - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001

A super-strong Bock, but not an Eisbock.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of EKU 28 Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a brilliant clear light orange with gentle streams of carbonation that stream to the top. A thin white head crowns the top of this beautiful beer.

There is a delightfully sweet malt aroma that greets the nose with a friendly hello.

The taste is fantastic. This wonderful malty brew has a slight touch of alcohol in the mouth, which cuts the sweetness nicely. I like this balance.

This is a silky smooth beer that is sweet and sexy like a good R&B song. The carbonation bites the tongue with a gentle playfulness. A very complex and solid beer in the mouth. Good stuff.

I love this beer and would drink cases of it if I could. I doubt I could afford such a habit. I will definitely try this beer again. I can't wait to sample more of this style.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock glass.

Safety orange liquid topped by a fluffy lasting champagne (the color) crown. Good clarity reveals brighter amber highlights and a steady stream of micro-bubbles. Dense soapy lacing; superior retention.

Incredibly potent melanoidins in the nose - toffee/caramel suffused brown bread; lots of malt; and an indescribable depth that remains clean. Hints of bubble-gum, red bananas, and clove.

Sweet bready palate entry, with a powerful wave of malt which expands outward, blossoming in flavor as the alcohol begins to kick in. Fine muscovado sugar, vague coffee, and black pepper emerge in the long warming finish.

Medium-bodied, well carbonated, and somewhat creamy, yet still crisp despite the immense ABV. Quite warming, but not hot.

This is a doppelbock so strong in flavor and alcohol, it puts many eisbocks to shame - and while I rarely shell out the $20+ for a six-pack - very little else can satisfy the craving that this beer engenders.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was a random pick at the LC the other day. I had no idea what this was, but now that I know it's an Eisbock, I'm really excited! 500ML can poured into a snifter. I'll be honest, I have really no experience with this style, I'm eager to start.

Beautiful pour! Deep, almost blood-red colour. Bubbles stick to the glass, nice carbonation, little head that subsides quickly but then reminds me of a glass of brandy. The nose is just chock full of wonderful dark fruity flavour. Plums and caramel, bready with a hint of alcohol. I could just sit here and smell this beer for a long time and be happy....

Taste is unbelievably heady with sweet malts, cherry, caramel, pleasantly alcoholic. Normally this might be a bit sweet for me, but the flavours feel so well balanced I can overlook that. Feels so heavy and thick in the mouth, creamy but not soft, great carbonation. If this wasn't so high in ABV, I could drink a few of these tonight. This is one classy beer, and if this is indicative of the style, bring more of these on!

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

this beer poured out a golden yellow amber color with a quickly diminishing but, rocky while it lasted, off white head

the smell here is strong of rich caramels and rasin as well as toffee and a grassy hop aroma as well as an aromatic similar to an apple

the flavor is rich caramel and toffee sort of mixed together as well as a vanilla character that comes through. there is also a rasiny rum like flavor with a faintly nutty background.

the finish for this particular brew was a medium to full body with a thinning alcohol on the tongue that leaves a warming sweetness behind. this is a great tasting strong beer and not very expensive at that. a good beer for a cold night!

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear amber golden with a white low head which barely wisped at the surface of the liquid in in hopes it might touch the glass and leave it's mark.

The aroma was nicely nutty with a Munich malt character and a strong caramel impression of maltiness. Raisins and plums, but not quite prunes, were present in the aroma with just a bit of spicy phenolics from the higher alcohols.

The flavor was very well done indeed. The beer contaced the palate with malty flavors of caramel and fruits. The fruits were most prevalent as raisins and plums. The alcohol in the flavor only enhanced the malty complexity and the bitttering in the beer was only enough to balance the scale. Munich and other malts comprise the flavor lending an excellent flavor with pefect sweetness that was not overdone.

The finish was nicely just dry leaving the impression of malt and fruits with hints of alcohol so you might grasp the glass and yearn for more. The body was medium full and well done. Alcohols were present thoughout, but only as an enhancement, not to the detriment. The beer was complex and interesting and made me wonder why I had left this gem in the back of the fridge so long to await my consumption.

11.2 ounce bottle. $2.50 at Lee & Edwards in Roanoke, VA. Code date 1318615 (whatever that means). This had probably been in the fridge two years.

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

The light amber color of this beer belies its potency. The coffee colored head is nothing exceptional. But, beginning with the aroma this beer takes off. The aroma is fruity and citrusy with traces of figs, apples, toffee, and alcohol. It has a complex mouthfeel that is thick, syrupy, and oily. The taste is malty sweet with alcohol, toffee and figs with just a little bitterness. The finish is sweet and a little chewey. Its high alcohol content makes this a good cold night beer to relax around the house with.

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a dark amber, almost copperish, with an off-white head. Aroma of sweet fruit including raisins, pears, and prunes. Fairly sweet and rich beer with a lot of alcohol, although it is not overwhelming. Very tasty overall, make sure to enjoy.

For the price you pay, this has got to be one of the best values around for a beer of this quality and style.

4.44/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a small mug. The label lists the abv at 11% and there is a short description on the back.

Appearance: The body has a rich deep amber colored body with good clarity. On top, the head is small and fades quickly. It leaves only a small patch of thin lacy bubbles. This is all very slick and no lace sticks to the glass at all.

Smell: The aroma is interesting and not exactly what I had expected, in a good way. I get a slightly buttery note with some candy like (grape sucker) sweetness backing it up. There is only a very slight hop note way off in the background.

Taste/Palate: The flavor reminds me somewhat of a fortified wine. There is a mild alcoholic warmth throughout with notes of wine grapes and grape candy sweetness within a big malty body. Again as in the aroma, the hops are distant and offer very little bitterness. The palate is what I would expect with its carbonation and mouth feel are right on for the style.

Notes: I am defiantly a fan of this beer.

4.44/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

EKU 28.
appearance - pale red. Decent head for 11%.
smell - fruity, sweet. Sherry or Port like.
taste - Oh my...that's nice. A little more subdued than the nose led me to expect, but very nice indeed.
mouthfeel - full and just the right amount of creamy,
drinkability - This'll creep up on you. Very smooth.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

A - Deep amber, good off white head, leaves fast. Ring left.

S - Malty goodness implied.

T - Yow. I sent this off to my baking grandmother to confirm. Melting Kraft caramel. Yum. Not too cloying, reins in to a nice finish. Outstanding.

M - Medium body, great coating and carb, nice balance.

D - Big ABV, but could do a few.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

Having this bottle at home, but I'm sure they have it at Bodega downtown La Crosse, too. Poured with a big, thick, foamy, luscious light tan head and some lace. Most head disappeared except for a thin cover. Nose was intensely malty, caramel, toffee, and bitter yeast. This is just out of my cold fridge and it's great; I know it'll be better as it warms. Still, the flavor is very good! Like the aroma but better. Great body. Very mouthfilling with just the right carbonation. Having it with a bowl of spicy congee. Good match. Nice finish that is yeast bitter at first fading to the above sweet flavors. Very rich, not a session beer; but one or two is fine.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours an amber colored clear brew.

Smell is sweet and very malty lots of fruit smell with a strong cherry scent.

Taste is very sweet and fruity, intense fruit flavor. Hard to breakout individual fruit flavors it tastes like juicy fruit.

Mouthfeel is thick.

An intense Eisenbock probably too much for most but those that seek this stuff out know to expect a powerful brew. Based on that I give a high Drinkability score.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Was pretty sure this was similar to Samichlaus which I consider the best lager in the world and one of the best beers I've had. That was also the beer that got me started in craft and extreme beers when an olde school Lager drinker (yes that's Yuengling Lager of course) years ago Googled "strongest lager in the world" ... So yes I knew I would like this.

Pours clear lots of bubbles shiny penny beautiful color, nicely carbonated, little head that doesn't hang around long, doesn't have to. Big malts aroma, notes of apples and pears, nutty and even a little mint. Aroma really hangs out for a good 1/2 hour after the bottle is done. Taste follows the aroma, very spicy but not annoyingly spicy, especially since I generally do not care for spiced beers. Very similar in look, smell and taste to world class Samichlaus. Great mouthfeel, alcohol is present but does not detract at all.

Wow what a treat this was. Grab couple more this weekend if still available at a very reasonable $3.50 per. Yesterday was an amazing lager day, I had this before dinner, Lager with Capone's excellent $.25 hot wings followed by a 16 oz Troegenator. You can really taste the similarities in all 3 beers, differing with the ABV of course. Someday I will have to do these 3 and a Samichlaus in ABV order. Going to Lagertown.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

The first time I enjoyed this brew was at Taco Mac after I had already had a two other brews both weighing in at over 10% ABV, so a review at that time would have been...difficult.

Poured this one into a standard pint glass. Color is deep red, the beer is quite clear. A respectable amount of head, about an inch. Carbonation is quite impressive. I'm not a fan of highly carbonated beers, but the display of the bubbles in this brew is pretty cool.

Smell is quite strong. This is possibly one of the strongest smelling brews I've had. It's very sweet, but the sweetness has a very thick quality to it.

Taste is strong as well. This is a very malty sweet brew. Caramel sweetness dominates. It's very syrupy. Although you will detect the alcohol's presence, it's quite well hidden for an 11% brew.

Drinkability is great. This is one you'll enjoy, but enjoy slowly!

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

rich golden brown with fluffy white head

sweet, malty aroma with apples and slight citrus. faint notes of bready malt

sweet malt upfront with slight fruit notes mainly the apples, and slight lemon. good biscuity malt body with nice dry hops on the finish

light, smooth, no trace of the alcohol, and just the right amount of sweetness

a great beer, lots of smooth balanced flavors and no trace of the abv.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Had the last bottle from that first six-pack. So I aged one bottle over one year from purchase.

Appearance- A vibrant, yet clear honey and brandy amber with a strong head that quickly fades after a minute. No lacing and mild bubbling.

Smell- A light port with some a mix of honey and candied fruits.

Taste- The alcohol lightened up nicely. It became better intermingled with the fruity, brandy flavored malts. Very good for sipping while reading a bit from my Homebrewing book.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and a little spicey with a thick and tight chewy texture. Fucking awesome before going to bed.

Something worth cellaring for a year, maybe two.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Update from 2 bottles enjoyed in Rothenburg on 30SEP03.... Medium copper color, clear, with plentiful carbonation. Tan head about 3/4"... can hear the carbonation and head bubbling. Lasts fairly well, with ok lace. Nose has lots of rich, sweet malt, and a dark fruit essence....quite nice! Body is better than medium, and it's real smooth...oh yeah! First sip and it's, like "wow!". Alcohol hits you, yet it is tasty sweet with toffee notes and a big warming effect. A nice one, but be careful!

overall: 4.4
appearance: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4.5

*** ***

Original review of 23MAR02 - EKU 28 has a nice copper color, with a very minimal head. Was expecting it to be a bit darker, actually. Sweetness and alcohol aromas abound... Whoa....first taste taken, and alcohol jumps on you; sweetness, too. Not exactly a bad thing, though! Has a medium to full body, and a wonderfull, full smoothness on the tongue! Very enjoyable, but keep an eye on how many you have....even 4.5 may be high on drinkability....sehr stark!! Prosit!! (4.0/5.0/5.0/5.0/4.5 = 4.75).

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

I'm updating my previous review because my recent bottles of EKU 28 are better than what I described in my previous rating...

Big malty/toffee aroma you pretty much only get from a true German bock brew. Very, VERY nice! Actually, there's also a strong fruitiness which you don't get all that often in a German lager. Even so, it's a "clean" fruitiness so you know it's still a lager. Beautiful amber color with a slight head, but one that seems to stick around. After pouring it into a glass, the appearance and aroma of this brew just make me want to immediately take a sip! Carbonation is decent and appropriate for the style, but some previous bottles have been too low. Flavor is a malt assault on the tongue combined with some heat from the alcohol. The flavor improves on the aroma with a huge malty/toffee explosion on the tongue. I get ripe fruits...perhaps some apple, but even more I'm getting some beautiful ripe pear flavors. Have you ever forked over the money to buy some Harry and David's Royal Riviera pears? They're expensive, but ohhh so good...nature's candy! Anyway, I definitely get some of that great, ripe, Oregon pear character in this brew. When I first tasted this beer ten years ago, I wasn't crazy about it. Now, it's one of my (occasional) favorites. It's not something I would drink often, but I love to keep some on hand for the times when I'm in the mood...and it seems to hold up incredibly well in my fridge for long periods of time. There's no denying EKU 28 is a malty brew...even for German standards, yet it still has a nice, clean-fermented lager taste. Even though the malt character is strong, I don't think this brew goes too far with its maltiness. Take Vetter 33 on tap in Heidelberg for comparison. Vetter 33 is too over-the-top malty, and has way too much of an unfermented malt-syrup taste. EKU 28 on the other hand, is much more drinkable and thoroughly fermented. I really enjoy this brew, but I can imagine that some don't because it's a bit extreme. EKU 28 has definitely become a brew I've come to love over the years. If you disagree that's okay, that just leaves more for me!

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

I had this beer some months ago, and as always I have made notes in writing while tasting. I have no idea how the note (paper)fell behind the computer desk. Anyway, I found it today, and I realize that I have never typed this review, so I need to do that now.

I am going by my recordings from November:

pours amber-coloured with hick high head of yellow-ish beige.

Nose is kinda sweet.

First sip - WOW!
Tastes like liquor!
Well, above 11% alc.Vol. is the explanation...

Mouthfeel is smooth and sweet, very malty, and mildly carbonated. This is really a great beer!

4.49/5  rDev +14%

A raging lcebock.
Pours a golden orange color. With a fizzy off white head.
Nose consists of raisin bread notes, fig, some molasses and alcohol.
Taste contains all of these as well. With emphasis on fig and molasses. Caramel tones are evident as are faint vanilla and oak. Alcohol is almost blistering....but not neccessarily bad.

Thick mouthfeel is balanced with a decent CO2 level. Syrupy and sticky, yet still smooth.
If you are looking to be punished by a huge malt beast...look no further. Plus, it is pretty tasty and complex to boot

4.49/5  rDev +14%

Had this beer twice in one day: first as a 4 oz. taster pour at Portland International Beerfest, second in a goblet (16 oz.!) at Concordia Ale House.

A: A caramel orange-brown with a minimal head. Looks like a brown cloudy beer, nothing special...

S: Rich malty smell, a candy/toffee sweetness. Hints of spices like nutmeg or cinnamon, dark fruit, alcohol. I swear I smelled mint, too. All nicely layered and comingled.

T: A "wow" taste for me - remarkable layers of toffee sweetness, fruit, bittersweet chocolate/cocoa, smoked wood, and ever-present alcohol warmth, like bourbon.

M: Nice full-bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation gives a little prickliness, but generally a smooth beer.

D: Terrific flavor and smell, to be enjoyed in moderation. High alcohol level (Germany's "strongest beer"?!?!) and complex flavors make this one to be savored with dinner or dessert. I had mine with a dinner of a bacon & blue cheese burger and fries; they went quite well together.

EKU 28 from Kulmbacher Brauerei AG