EKU 28 - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

EKU 28EKU 28

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  11.00% ABV

A super-strong Bock, but not an Eisbock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
View: Beers (33) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of EKU 28 Alström Bros
roadhouse

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a pokal glass.

Appearance is a beautiful shade of orange-red with lots of lively carbonation bubbles that form a one inch thick off-white head. It doesn't leave much lacing but damn does the color look good.

Aroma is exploding with sweet caramel and toffee notes, a massive fruitiness reminiscent of rum raisins, figs, and general candied fruits. A slight alcohol presence as well, but it only adds to the complexity.

Taste has the huge sweet caramel malt presence to start, but it also seems to have a bit of a turbinado sugar type taste as well. The huge fruitiness kicks into gear next again with lots of raisin and fig type flavors. The finish remains sweet but there is a very slight tinge of cocoa-like bitterness that shows up, as well as a light alcohol warming effect.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, very chewy texture to it, but it has a nice creaminess with some crispness characteristic of lagers.

This was one fine brew. Underrated! I would compare it to Samichlaus, though not quite as rich. I would call it the next best thing, which is pretty damn great by the way. I was weary of spending $18.99 for a six pack of this, but I feel it was worth it. This is one for aging and at under $3.50 a bottle I feel that I cheated the store.

03-24-2009 01:04:09 | More by roadhouse

Maryland

11-29-2013 19:15:51 | More by BillRoth
scruffwhor

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Had the last bottle from that first six-pack. So I aged one bottle over one year from purchase.

Appearance- A vibrant, yet clear honey and brandy amber with a strong head that quickly fades after a minute. No lacing and mild bubbling.

Smell- A light port with some a mix of honey and candied fruits.

Taste- The alcohol lightened up nicely. It became better intermingled with the fruity, brandy flavored malts. Very good for sipping while reading a bit from my Homebrewing book.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and a little spicey with a thick and tight chewy texture. Fucking awesome before going to bed.

Something worth cellaring for a year, maybe two.

02-18-2007 00:30:28 | More by scruffwhor

02-15-2012 03:02:43 | More by Cyhops
ohmybock

Georgia

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%

I'm updating my previous review because my recent bottles of EKU 28 are better than what I described in my previous rating...

Big malty/toffee aroma you pretty much only get from a true German bock brew. Very, VERY nice! Actually, there's also a strong fruitiness which you don't get all that often in a German lager. Even so, it's a "clean" fruitiness so you know it's still a lager. Beautiful amber color with a slight head, but one that seems to stick around. After pouring it into a glass, the appearance and aroma of this brew just make me want to immediately take a sip! Carbonation is decent and appropriate for the style, but some previous bottles have been too low. Flavor is a malt assault on the tongue combined with some heat from the alcohol. The flavor improves on the aroma with a huge malty/toffee explosion on the tongue. I get ripe fruits...perhaps some apple, but even more I'm getting some beautiful ripe pear flavors. Have you ever forked over the money to buy some Harry and David's Royal Riviera pears? They're expensive, but ohhh so good...nature's candy! Anyway, I definitely get some of that great, ripe, Oregon pear character in this brew. When I first tasted this beer ten years ago, I wasn't crazy about it. Now, it's one of my (occasional) favorites. It's not something I would drink often, but I love to keep some on hand for the times when I'm in the mood...and it seems to hold up incredibly well in my fridge for long periods of time. There's no denying EKU 28 is a malty brew...even for German standards, yet it still has a nice, clean-fermented lager taste. Even though the malt character is strong, I don't think this brew goes too far with its maltiness. Take Vetter 33 on tap in Heidelberg for comparison. Vetter 33 is too over-the-top malty, and has way too much of an unfermented malt-syrup taste. EKU 28 on the other hand, is much more drinkable and thoroughly fermented. I really enjoy this brew, but I can imagine that some don't because it's a bit extreme. EKU 28 has definitely become a brew I've come to love over the years. If you disagree that's okay, that just leaves more for me!

05-28-2007 22:59:43 | More by ohmybock
UncleFlip

Alabama

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%

Now playing: Phil Lawrence "The Sheik of Araby" (S9 Radio)

Pours into the glass a deep honey-ruby color, with an off-white tight two finger head that quickly disapates to a head that just covers the brew, but doesn't break.

Now Playng: The Talking Heads "City of Dreams" (S9 Radio)

As I go to smell it, the head breaks...pour a little more to kick it up and.... Strong alcohol nose- almost a pungent licorice aroma, with some papaya and orange, and a spicy undertone.

The flavour has some of the licorice notes, but thinnner and flatter- and not unpleasantly so. This change in the quality is good for the flavour. It's a bit woody on the end, with some alcohol rising just at the end. Veyr nice. Not a beer that attacks your mouth- but rather, one that feels like it was designed to fit inside.

The carbonation rises quickly at the front (a medium carbonation), then falls quickly, revealing a slightly thick but not syrupy liquid.

Now Playing: The Asylum Street Spankers "I Don't Wanna" (S9 Radio)

I give this one top numbers on drinkability. It just FEELS right to me. 11% be damned...I'd still drink it all night. Just be kind to me, and take my car keys from me.

Be well
-UF

10-06-2005 05:11:55 | More by UncleFlip
Bierfreund

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%

I had this beer some months ago, and as always I have made notes in writing while tasting. I have no idea how the note (paper)fell behind the computer desk. Anyway, I found it today, and I realize that I have never typed this review, so I need to do that now.

I am going by my recordings from November:

pours amber-coloured with hick high head of yellow-ish beige.

Nose is kinda sweet.

First sip - WOW!
Tastes like liquor!
Well, above 11% alc.Vol. is the explanation...

Mouthfeel is smooth and sweet, very malty, and mildly carbonated. This is really a great beer!

05-07-2009 22:40:48 | More by Bierfreund
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%

Had this beer twice in one day: first as a 4 oz. taster pour at Portland International Beerfest, second in a goblet (16 oz.!) at Concordia Ale House.

A: A caramel orange-brown with a minimal head. Looks like a brown cloudy beer, nothing special...

S: Rich malty smell, a candy/toffee sweetness. Hints of spices like nutmeg or cinnamon, dark fruit, alcohol. I swear I smelled mint, too. All nicely layered and comingled.

T: A "wow" taste for me - remarkable layers of toffee sweetness, fruit, bittersweet chocolate/cocoa, smoked wood, and ever-present alcohol warmth, like bourbon.

M: Nice full-bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation gives a little prickliness, but generally a smooth beer.

D: Terrific flavor and smell, to be enjoyed in moderation. High alcohol level (Germany's "strongest beer"?!?!) and complex flavors make this one to be savored with dinner or dessert. I had mine with a dinner of a bacon & blue cheese burger and fries; they went quite well together.

07-22-2006 00:57:08 | More by msubulldog25
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I see this bottle a lot, but never knew what it was. I just figured it was a Euro pale lager or something light, thin, and with a low ABV. Nope. I was wrong! Its a Doppelbock and is 11% alcohol by volume. I am not familiar with this beer or this brewery, but am excited to try this. There are a few beers from this brewing company on the list. Oh, and it was fun learning where the 287 comes from. That is the beer's original gravity. Fun! I don't have any expectations for this, so hopefully it's good!

In the Glass: It has a nice amber color… almost red in the glass. The head is thin white, and there is little lace. Looking at the beer next to the bottle makes me want to go to Europe. Oh, and I am sick of beers coming in smaller bottles. I am used to the big bombers, but this one is only 11.2 ounces. Don't worry, we have about 10 bombers in the fridge waiting to be consumed. The AleSmith Speedway Stout is one I am REALLY excited to drink.

Nose: That smells like a Euro pale lager. Doppelbocks are typically smokey and have a nice "camp fire" aroma, but this is bland, boring, and there are some somewhat sweet notes creeping in. This smells like those cheap high ABV beers from Russia. Before-After is one that comes to mind. If you have never tried that beer, grab a bottle. The label is worth the price of the beer! A second whiff isn't doing much for me. If the aroma is any inclination on the flavor, I will like it. Beers like this are easy to drink and pack a punch. Let's see!

Flavor: Yep, that is the flavor I expect. The flavor is sweet, and has a nice finish. But whoa… what happens in the finish. There is the smokey flavors I expect when drinking a Doopelbock. But the flavor is intense, and when I say, "packs a punch", it does. You taste the 11%. The burp is nice, too. The sweet flavors come rushing back. For only $3.29, you can afford 6… but might only need a few! On my second sip, I swished the beer around in my mouth a little. The carbonation was obvious, and it became almost sour. I would love to see them get that flavor in the beer without the added work!

Mouthfeel: The beer is thin and boring on the front of the palate, but toward the back it really heats up. Not literally… well, the alcohol starts to become obvious. The flavor really hits the back half of the tongue, and on the sides of the tongue at that. As you swallow, the finish is smooth and the spicy smokey flavors take over. Then, my favorite part… the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: I wish more beers had an aftertaste like this. The mouthfeel is thick, and when you swallow the beer becomes sweet, but quickly turns to that expected smokey flavor. Every time I swallow it becomes more dry and more balanced, but the smokey flavor remains. If you want to experience a true Doppelbock, grab a bottle of Cinder Bock from the small batch Sam Adams collection. It is liquid smoke, and delicious!

I didn't have expectations here, but I love it. It is sweet, loaded with booze, and I can see myself drinking a jug of this stuff. I wonder if they serve this by the jug in Germany… I am sure they do. Let's go find out. Prost!

03-18-2013 21:36:25 | More by rickyleepotts
TippySelenoid

Missouri

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Wow!

The beer was poured into an EKU 28 glass. It had a 1 inch head that quickly dissolved. It was an amber color. Transparent.

The smell was amazing. I've never had a beer that was so fragrant with little to no head. It smelled like bread and butter with hints of banana.

The alcohol was very prevalent in the taste, but does not detract from the flavor at all. In fact this beer tastes like rum raisin cake. Delicious.

It felt moderately carbonated with medium body.

I wouldn't want more than one of these, but the one I had I was sad to see go. A sipping beer to savor and relish.

03-24-2008 17:22:52 | More by TippySelenoid
jdoolin

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Presentation: 12oz bottle, poured into a brandy snifter

Appearance: Poured a clear, dark brownish red. Very nice color indeed. Not much head, and what little formed, disappeared shortly after the pour. But to be expected, really.

Aroma: This beer has a heavenly aroma. I just sat there with my nose in the snifter for at least a minute before taking the first sip. There is a big fruity aroma, with a lot of caramel malt and definite rummy alcohol.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is still there, but not much. Which in this case is just enough. Big malt flavor that is sweet, but not at all cloying. Complex fruitiness and spicy alcohol blend well with the malt to make this a very tasty, interesting beer.

Notes: This is a tremendous sipping beer. I must have savored this for an hour, with half the time spent enjoying its incredible bouquet. Very good beer for coming in out of the cold.

11-18-2006 05:33:44 | More by jdoolin
objectivemonkey

4.6/5  rDev +17%

Pours a lovely, deep, coppery amber with a small, short lasting white head. No lacing, the liquid oozing down the side, quite obviously a lot of alcohol in this just by looking at it. The aroma is also warmed by the alcohol, but it doesn't interfere with the warm toasted, caramelized malts, in fact they help each other out, all very sweet and makes me want to jump into...

The taste, is quite exquisite. Everything in the nose, but much more, more intense, each bit enveloping the other. Quite a complex beer, with rich and juicy fruits of plum, cherry, a little fig perhaps, toasty and sweet, not too much hop if any, the alcohol blazing a path but still out of the way, countering the malt from being too cloying. The mouth is full, rich, warm, very nice, and surprisingly drinkable for such a high alcohol, very sweet beer, which says a lot about the quality of this beer.

04-19-2008 20:12:59 | More by objectivemonkey
tavernjef

4.6/5  rDev +17%

Holy cow, this stuff knocks you off your feet, thats if your standing. Color of this is a solid copper with a small off-white head. The aroma is very alcoholic and deep fruityness like a flavored vodka or something. It has some cherry and sugary caramel dark maltyness to it thats just heavenly. Then the taste, watch it now, it says "hi" very quickly. You say hello back by going, "Whew, wow, holy smokes thats strong!" You sip again and the dark fruit and maltyness just settles with very nice tones of caramel, cherry, toffee and other fruits of ripeness lingering around in there. Super complex, inviting, subtle and strong, I'm sorry,did I already say it was strong. The feel is full, rich and a bit deep, some chewyness and butterness with a that alcohol warmness that makes this a serious sipper. And a good sipper at that.

04-19-2003 18:21:49 | More by tavernjef
Tomas77

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I really like this beer. A clear looking doppelbock. Not many around.

Pours a copper/orange color with a non-lasting head of foam. Little lace on glass.Brilliant clarity. Lagers usually look this way.

Aroma is just unbelievable. The smell of toast when you wake up first thing in the morning without anything interupting it. Some grape notes or marmalade if you will show up on the toast later on. A pleasant surprise. Little hop comes through also. Alcohol present smooth but not hot.

Same grape fruity flavor shows up first before the toast does unlike the aroma. Very malty sweet(some maple syrup hints to it) up front but does finish a bit dry with not much lingering bitterness. Alcohol throughout.

A very rich complex mouthfeel. Full body. Alcohol tingling on the tongue.

Exellent beer all around. Very balanced for a doppelbock. Nice job.

02-19-2009 03:26:00 | More by Tomas77
beerman599

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +17%

i'll be brief on this one because this is an experience that will be very different from person to person and the bottle temp is as important as its age in evaluating this beer. if you like big beer this is the circus fat lady of big drink it slow and share it with a friend. also this is a good beer to lay down and enjoy aged. malt, malt, malt!!

07-30-2003 22:43:41 | More by beerman599
Todd

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

Presentation: 11.2oz brown bottle. No bottled on date; don't really need one for a beer with this strenth, but for vintage purposes it might be nice.

Appearance: Light copper in colour with an active level of medium sized carbonation bubbles. Head is thin, white and creamy with a slight syrupy stick to the glass.

Smell: Mega malts (mostly caramel), deep, rich fruity esters and a strong alcohol nose.

Taste: Thick, full-bodied, syrupy and luscious on the palate. Luckily this is broken up by the lively carbonation for some balance. First flavour to emerge is a rather spicy (and warming) alcohol that delivers one hell of a kick to the palate, then the head. Malt comes next, and it's massive, rich and sweet with a caramel, milky chocolate and candied backbone. Strong oak and vanilla flavours are also present, along with a sort of date / fig sweetness. Juicy fruit flavours (all kinds: apple, pineapple, mango, honeydew mellon, etc) follow, then a buttery bicuity malt character soothes the palate into the finish. Bitterness is there, but it seems to smooth in with all of the other flavours, offering a much needed flavour balance to counter the sweet and strong malts.

Notes: This is a beer to be sipped, savoured and respected. For the style, it's also very well balanced and perhaps one of the best eisbocks I've ever tasted. Powerful. Complex. Balanced. Tasty. Hell yeah!

07-07-2002 15:57:29 | More by Todd
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.63/5  rDev +17.8%

12oz from the Coop for a pricey/worth it $5.60.. poured half a bottle into my New Belgium goblet.. saving the rest for later tonight.

No head or lacing.. alcohol is probably holding it back... the short pour delivered a crystal clear orange copper brew.

Wow nose factor! I don't think I am educated enough to describe accurately.. but I will try anyway. Clean very clean.. caramel malts and dried dark fruit.. Reminicent of brandy or tawny port. Doughy breads reminds me of a brewhouse with a teaspoon or two of grain alcohol.. the booze is there, but there are a ton of other things going on... time for a taste.

another WOW.. thick velvety texture... creamy. The completely expected sweetness is not there... more of a deeeep maltiness. Dried dark fruits are there but not overly obvious... some golden raisins and minor figs and just a smidge of dried Rainer cherries... vanilla and oak.

The body is not nearly as full as expected leading me to take another sip and another and another... take your time between them though... I am not saying the lighter than expected body is a bad thing by any sorts... this brew is fantastic...fantastic just the way it is... very slick texture that is like a liquid silk with brandy overtones... lite small bubble carbonation adds to the luxury... wow... WOW!

I have only had this brew twice before, both times with a coworker who really likes German brews... I am sooo glad I took time to review it... almost certainly the most "perfect for the style" brew I've reviewed thus far.

01-09-2008 08:56:21 | More by JohnGalt1