EKU 28 - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

EKU 28EKU 28

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  11.00% ABV

A super-strong Bock, but not an Eisbock.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of EKU 28 Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Medium orange-gold color, medium head. A medium bodied beer. Malty and slightly sweet. Taste is more like a sherry or port than a beer, but EKU 28 retains its beer character. Nice hop bite. Big bold beer. Mouthfeel is full and expansive. Finish is clean and smooth. Noticeable alcohol bite (11%). Aftertaste is malty and slightly sweet. Slight oily texture to this beer. A bit overpowering.

beerguy101, Aug 08, 2003
3.33/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

"as good as a brandy" says the label. The drunk gent on the label is more like it. A darkish brown color. First sip is sugary malt and a big bite of alcohol. No hiding it here. You get used to it as you drink on, but it is quite annoying. Slightly above average taste, because the beer says what it is, and it is all that. Will get your eyes rolling in your head. Brown bag it.

bewareOFpenguin, Aug 06, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +17%

i'll be brief on this one because this is an experience that will be very different from person to person and the bottle temp is as important as its age in evaluating this beer. if you like big beer this is the circus fat lady of big drink it slow and share it with a friend. also this is a good beer to lay down and enjoy aged. malt, malt, malt!!

beerman599, Jul 30, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is malt defined. Don't even think barleywine! This is big lager. I am drinking this ICE COLD!!!!!!!! It is one of the few beers I nearly freeze. Seriously, it has a huge malt profile which can withstand the abuse of massive refrigeration. It is worthy of note. Try it "ultra" cold. This is not a beer to discuss. DRINK THE BEER!!!!!

faernt, Jul 26, 2003
2.08/5  rDev -47.1%

Well...I've had this before a long time ago, and I sorta remembered what I was in for...or so I thought.

One whiff of this, and I had something pop right into my mind: Sugar Daddy...like the candy we all enjoyed as kids.

Let's see: not a bad copper color, I could see little bubbles floating up in my glass. The aroma was a mix of the caramel and the medicinal...

The taste was very sweet, very syrupy, and like the smell: a mix of caramel and medicine. The 'medicine' taste comes from the high alcohol...it's one of those beers where you can taste the alcohol.

I finished this, but it's so sweet, alcoholic, and medicinal, I wonder who really enjoys this. There are much more enjoyable, better blended, tastier versions of high alcohol beers that I think EKU 28 is no longer 'the' word for high abv beers.

No more Sugar Daddies for me. pat

PatandDavid, Jul 22, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

A very thin small watery head pours over a distinctly ruby-colored body. The aroma is strikingly like that of an old port, with undertones of a sweet robust maltiness. Initially the mouthfeel is big and very viscous, with a slight tingle on the tip of the tongue on the sides. This is followed by a very big, sweet, syrupy middle, becoming somewhat smoky and raisin-like and evoking a fine old bourbon. The finish is very alcoholic and wine-like, with touches of port again. This then trails off revealing a lingering biscuity maltiness.

After tasting this beer I had to check again to make sure it was really from Germany. Could they possibly make this sweet nectar in adherence to the Reinheitsgebot? This beer is absolutely unique among all the German beers I have ever tasted. In fact, this beer is quite unique among all of the beers I have ever tasted. The full effect and flavor can be gathered from a very small sip, just as with a straight bourbon or scotch, making it a perfect beer for slowly sipping. I can only begin to imagine the myriad ways in which this could be paired with food, though it is wonderfully suited to standing alone as well. This may just become standard stock for me, to aid in converting friends who drink wine or liquor but "don't like beer". Prost!

Stopper, Jul 22, 2003
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Sampled on tap at Redbones.

This eisbock poured a clear, golden-amber color with thin, white foam that settled quickly, but clung to the insides of the glass a bit. The smell was malty but modest. The taste was sweet and malty but a bit harsh. There was a hint of hops in the finish. The mouthfeel was sweet but also a bit harsh. The body was full, with moderate carbonation. The drinkability was OK, but the harshness and high alcohol content make this less drinkable for me.

UncleJimbo, Jul 20, 2003
1.3/5  rDev -66.9%

I took one sip of this beer and I had only one comment to make about this beer to my BF and that was "yuck this tastes like medicine"!! When this beer was poured, it poured an off-white head with fine sized bubbles. The body was clear and the hue was amber. The nose was fruity.

hotstuff, Jul 16, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

One of the more unique beers I have tried....this is a beer that pulls you aside and says "Listen here bitch...get ready for one hell of a ride."

Pours a clear, reddish orange color with no head.....nose is sweet and invititing....a lot of ripe, sweet fruits....alcohol...sweet caramel....and even a wintergreen/Ben-Gay-Icy Hot note...

Bottle lists this at 11% and I think I'm tasting all 11% of the alcohol.....this one flaunts its alcohol like that babe drawing all the attention at the bar with the short skirt...Same motto I guess...if you've got it....show it....Taste is also very sweet, and fruity...Overripe cherries, plums, peaches and nectarines....

Mouthfeel leans on oversweet but really the spiciness from the alcohol keeps things in check....also much more jazz in the carbonation than this headless-beer would lead you to assume...

Drinkability??? What better beer to load up the ol college bong with?? Seriously, if you sit down and read on the label that a beer is 11% alcohol, I would assume it to be a sipping beer...that is exactly what this is...a great desert beer....would seem to go well with a cherry pie (ahh sweet cherry pie...my favorite.)....or really any sweeter pie or desert..

A unique beer well worth the ride...I'd love to have about a case of these in the cellar for desert beers for the year....24 for the year would be about right....

ZAP, Jul 08, 2003
2.95/5  rDev -24.9%

Yikes. So a beer really can be too strong. Who knew. Pours a bright orange/amber with virtually no head. Aroma is strong malt and alcohol. Medium-bodied an very syrupy. Kind of tastes like a cross between a barley wine and malt liquor. Finish is syrupy sweet malt and caramel. This beer is definitely strong enough for me to be feeling the effects after one bottle. You definitely have to sip this one, but unfortunately this beer is not really good enough to be worth that much trouble.

Dogbrick, Jul 02, 2003
2.42/5  rDev -38.4%

Nice lively pour with a white/off white head of fine bubbles. It has an clear amber body with a fruity aroma. Initial taste was not one that I preferred. It had an acrid flavor with carbonated bubbles rising off my tongue. My feelings are that I don't much care for this brew.

TheDM, Jul 01, 2003
3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

I had this one in a 12oz. bottle poured into an EKU 28 snifter. It pours a ruby red color with no haze. There is one finger of head that dies right away. No lacing is left on the glass. The smell has a big alcohol aroma with some citrus, maybe orange, in the background. The taste is overwhelming with alcohol, with little hints of cherry and hops in there. This beer doesn't even try to mask the alcohol at all. The mouthfeel is a little syrupy. The drinkability is just average due to all the alcohol flavor.

SheepNutz, Jun 23, 2003
3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

This beer pours an amber color with very little head that quickly disapears. The malt and alcohol are clearly evident in the aroma. This syrupy beer is sweet...very sweet. I like strong beers (I love Whiskey), but this one tasted stronger than it is. Between the cloying sweetness, and harsh alcohol taste it really lacked drinkability. There are plenty of high octane beers out there that deliver the alcohol in a much less abrasive manner. Not a bad beer, but nothing you will drink much of even if you love it. A little goes a long way.

Sixpack595, Jun 15, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +11.5%

Clear copper in color. A thin almost nonexistent white head. Spotty lace is left. The aroma is of deep, rich malt. Very rich smelling. A little caramel as well. Love the richness of the aroma (in case you couldn't tell). When you take the first sip of this one, you can tell it's got some character. The alcohol is noteable from the start with this one. The flavor gets extremely close to cloying. But it never is. The thick, rich malt is the main player. I liken the richness of this beer to the richness of boiled shrimp. It's very appealing, but if you take in a lot, you're going to pay for it later. Some dulled apple tones come in here and there. There's also a little whiskey barrel oakiness to it. A big full body teeters on syrupy. It's all almost too much. ALMOST. I haven't had a lot of Eisbocks, but this is pretty damn good.

Bighuge, Jun 11, 2003
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

A dark copper color with a thin head and virtually no lace. The malt and alcohol aroma is less than expected. The full, thick malt is quite sweet with flavors of honey and cloves. The strong alcohol packs a punch and practically buries the hops, though bitter citrus can be detected. I recently tasted Austrian Winter specialty, Samichlaus at 14% abv and this EKU 28 at 11% abv seems much stronger. Go figure.

BeerResearcher, May 18, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours out to an amber color with a quickly, fading head. Aroma is that of malt, predominatly and is somewhat sweet to the smell. The alcohol is not hidden very well in this beer and tends to detract from what could be a very good assortment of fruit on the palate. Finish is strong. Not a very drinkable beer, but one to sipped. Average.

proc, May 11, 2003
3.93/5  rDev 0%

A few weeks ago, I drove from Atlanta to Chattanooga to obtain some > 6% abv beers - a few trappists, some Stone Brewing Co. beers, and basically whatever else I could find and possible afford. I went up there with a $50 limit to my purchases, and came back with $150 worth of beer. What can I say, I am weak. Nevertheless, the 5 hour trip netted a few choice brews. This is one of them.

Pours a reddish amber, and strains to put forth any head on the beer at all before giving up. Smell is malty, almost a hint of raisin, and a prominent alcohol nose. Taste is malt, brandy-like flavors, and alcohol. It really reminds me of a distilled beverage my father brought back from Bosnia as far as the fruit character. Mouthfeel is very sharp and warming. Definitely a nightcap or digestif - absolutely not a session beer.

jlervine, May 05, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +17%

Holy cow, this stuff knocks you off your feet, thats if your standing. Color of this is a solid copper with a small off-white head. The aroma is very alcoholic and deep fruityness like a flavored vodka or something. It has some cherry and sugary caramel dark maltyness to it thats just heavenly. Then the taste, watch it now, it says "hi" very quickly. You say hello back by going, "Whew, wow, holy smokes thats strong!" You sip again and the dark fruit and maltyness just settles with very nice tones of caramel, cherry, toffee and other fruits of ripeness lingering around in there. Super complex, inviting, subtle and strong, I'm sorry,did I already say it was strong. The feel is full, rich and a bit deep, some chewyness and butterness with a that alcohol warmness that makes this a serious sipper. And a good sipper at that.

tavernjef, Apr 19, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Coppery-tawny-auburn hue, lovely off-white head that reached a finger before fading to a soapy residue, no lace. Great nose, potently alcoholic yet very inviting, rummy, caramelized dark fruits too. The first sip is like a punch to the throat. Massively sweet but not cloying, very alcoholic, ripe fruit (plums, raisins, apples), caramel notes, buttery too. Complex palate. The finish has a bitter hint but it’s mainly sweet. The mouthfeel is thick, chewy… full-bodied, syrupy. Little carbonation. This is a sipping beer, savor it, enjoy it… try one.

bditty187, Apr 08, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

WHOA! Nice pour with a full white head. A beautiful beer to look at. Copper colored with a long lasting effervescence. Aroma was, to me, a bit funky sweet like fermenting. It smelled like overripe/rotting oranges. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the aroma was not indicative of the flavor. The taste was malty with spice and some fruit notes, none of which were rotten. The finish was warm but hid the alcohol fairly well.

stoutman, Feb 22, 2003
3.65/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow what a beautiful beer,poured with a huge head great color.Felt like I needed a cigar and a brandy snifter,alcoholic smell with a slight fruit tinge.Tasted alcohol soon as it hit taste buds,a little syrupy but thats to be expected.Only a little fruity tast was apparent other than alcohol.As it warmed alcohol taste creeped up even more,nice to drink before bed.

oberon, Feb 03, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

What kind or beer is this, I have to ask, for the label tells me little. Lager, or ale, or?...Huge head, gorgeous red color, and an aroma that makes me step back and gauge myself. Sweet, notes of cherries, and alcohol, and, WOW!, but this is INTENSE! It's enormous and pungent, and formidable, and I haven't even put it to my lips, yet! Full, thick, lush texture...this beer pulls up a chair and makes itself at home in your mouth! Not a beer to be underestimated, to be gulped, or guzzled, or otherwise abused!
In this brew, it's alcohol you feel, above and beyond any other flavors. They may exist, but they must lay before the master, the booze. A touch of citrus and fruit, but faintly, and,again, subservient to King Liquor. Not exactly THE strongest beer in the world, but one of the tastiest strong brews I've ever enjoyed. Just, be careful. Tread wisely, and enjoy.

feloniousmonk, Feb 02, 2003
3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

a golden amber with a massive off-white foamy head. lace is all over the glass even after the brew has been finished. the aroma is of caramel, malts, and alcohol.

flavor has a nice sweet maltiness, but there is a whole lot of alcohol that hurts this one a little bit. you will pick up a nice smooth caramel taste that tones down the alcohol a little to keep it from getting out of hand. it has a nice warming sensation as you drink it. this beer is full-bodied, full-flavored, and very rich. carbonation is light, and it has a very good feel to it. the alcohol flavor keeps it from being a great drinker, but it is still good.

ElGuapo, Jan 12, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Very clear deep amber or copper or whatever you want to call it. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but there was something about the aroma that nudged me the wrong way. It wasn’t the alcohol, malt, or esters, but something else. Some sort of sourness that was unexpected I just didn’t care for much. The first sip almost knocked me out of my chair. What a drink! A huge buttery malt (but I don’t think diacetyl) floods the mouth and was balanced not by hops but by an alcohol/solvent burn. The tongue was left tingling for much of the moderately long salty caramel finish. Hops were minimal at best and kinda go unnoticed, by me at least! Viscosity is pretty high and carbonation in the mouth in tiny since this beers is respectfully sipped. This was a tasty beer and worth the waiting for the store to get it back in.

yen157, Jan 07, 2003
3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Very strange. To see the total lack of head after a couple of minutes, zero lace. I hate to have the rating lowered too much by appearance, because I liked this beer. Pretty easy to drink considering the strength. Quite sweet (I know a sweet beer when my teeth start to hurt!), and I don't think I could have more than two. However, if you're looking to warm up, drink this. I have a little cold tonight, and this works way better than Nyquil!

JohnnyDuvel, Dec 27, 2002