Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Globetrotter on 04-16-2004

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Dark, rich looking like a stout. Surprised how thin it tastes, almost watery. It certainly looks like the type of dark beer for a cold winter's night, but the taste is closer to a thin pilsner or even a Hefe. It just felt like it was missing that richness a dark beer usually delivers. Even so, I thought it was pretty enjoyable, and is great if you want a dark beer without that dark beer weight in taste. But it can be deceptive if you want a dark beer and all the elements a dark, heavy beer delivers.

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a glass with a generous head. The head was maintained for a while and it did have some unexpected lace. At first glance the color seemed dark, however when held up to the light it appears to be a deep ruby color.

Smell was of faint raisins, plums, and a bit roasted. Taste was mellow and not at all overpowering. A little bland for my taste, but good. I got a little diacetyl, but did not feel that it was unacceptable. Aftertaste was sweet and a little plummy. A nice change all in all.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Aggressive pour from a pop-top bottle into a weizen glass results in a nice 3 finger, tan colored head.
A- Cloudy, dark brown. As I hold the glass in the air, little or no light passes through. Looks tasty though. As the head begins to fade, the glass is left with a light lacing, almost like a cobweb.
S- Roasted malt. To my suprise, I can't pick out much wheat. I was expecting to.
T- Much like the smell. Roasted malt.
M- Light, and a little silky. I can feel the carbonation tingle in my mouth just a little bit.
D- Very drinkable. Goes down smooth.

All in all I would consider this average. I don't think I would necessarily recommend this, but I certainly wouldn't knock it either.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last