Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

good

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Globetrotter on 04-16-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a somewhat slight head that fades t a ring and leaves just the barest lacing. Smells bready, with a slight tang of the grain, and a note of caraway. A very light beer, one of the lighter dark beers I've had. The problem here is that there is a slight (very slight) roastiness, which doesn't add a lot to the beer in itself, but does negate any yeasty flavors, and once again there aren't a lot. For me, one of the great pleasures of a German wheat beer are the esters from the yeast with it's hallmark flavors of banana and clove, set against the backdrop of the soft wheat. Unfortunately I don't get that here at all, and there is no great roastiness or maltiness to compensate. Easy to drink, but doesn't hold my interest.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a deep dark brown. The pour produced an abundance of frothy tan head that was dense and mousse like. Large hole would fill the foam like swiss cheese holes, get the idea.
This very realy opaque beer is also nicely carbonated.

Aromatics are simple and understated with wheat malts, yeast and roasted malts. There is a sutle presence of cloves.

Taste is wheat malts some clove and hints of roasted malts. The roasted malts also have some smokiness to them.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin and lite with some creamy slickness at the end.

A good dunkel and would drink more no problem.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Pours a medium brown, forming a fluffy off-white head. Medium spots of lace on the glass.

S - Bready malt aroma on the nose. Not the typical dunkelwiezen aroma as expected.

T - Light malt flavor, a hint of cocoa and a slightly wheaty aftertaste. No hop presence.

M - Light bodied with a typical German wheat beer mouthfeel. Average carbonation and very smooth and clean.

D - Flavors aren't the usual German wheat beer taste such as clove and banana. Still, the beer is enjoyable, clean and refreshing.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500 ml bottle (with a swing top) into a pint glass, unsure of the freshness.

Pours a dark brown almost black color with a large tan head. Smells of roasted malts, coffee and brown sugar. The feel is sort of light. The taste is also a little light, I get lots of coffee and a little roasted malts but its also a little watery. Overall not bad but I expected a little more from the look.

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours from a swing top bottle a very deep dark brown almost black. It has a tight and creamy yet semi-compact off white/light tan head.

Nose is dark roasted malts, black coffee, and a little cocoa. There are hints of ginger and brown sugar wafting in the backround.

Taste is so much like coffe it's unbelievable. I don't think I've ever had any beer that did'nt actually use cofee that tasted so much like coffee(two creams and one sugar). It is slightly sweet at first but leads into a dry roasty finish. Slightly nutty as well, predominantly filbert's. This one is pretty creamy and only on the lower end of medium bodied. Also a little bit of acidity in the finish. This is probably one of the only factors that I could actually distinguish this as a wheat beer from. Because this beer to me would taste just as much as a cream ale as a wheat beer in a blind tasting.

This ones is subtle, yet aggresive and packed with different nuances to be discovered. A solid beer yet not great.

3.1/5  rDev -16.7%

A:pours a very dark muddy brown with a little tint of orange light peeking through. Tan colored head tops it off in massive amounts and "honeycombs" its way slowly down the glass leaving sticky trails behind everywhere.

S: Burnt chocolate and a soft meyer lemon note ... banana?

T: Chalky mouthfeel is the first thing I have to notate here albeit not a flavor. Light to medium body and very chalky, Also very effervescent. Subtle milk chocolate suggestions make their way into banana and clove and mild citrus. All and all the flavors are extremely subdued and perhaps hindered by massive carbonation matched with a general light overall body and character of the beer. This one is a bit confused.

M: chalkdust torture

O: Not a good example of what beer can be.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

The beer pours a dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is full of wheat with some light chocolate and banana notes. I get some classic German yeast in the aroma as well. The flavor is full of chocolate and wheat. I don't get any banana or spice notes in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A decent dunkelweizen but there are better ones out there.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice, huge fluffy head after pour. Settled to a nice size afterwards and looked so darn good and creamy. Smell was of copper and slight smoke. Mouthfeel was excellent as it sizzled a bit on my tongue. Taste was roasty at first that did not stick around long enough before turning into a typical, spicy clove taste.

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and prefer it to Kapuziner Weissbier.

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle somewhere in Poland. From notes.

A - One finger tan head on a black body with great retention and no lacing.

S - Sweet dark malt. Dry grain. I honestly wrote down 'farts' so I'm not confident this smelled good.

T - Raisins, figs, dark malt, and burnt sugar with a hint of wheat.

M - Light body and medium carbonation. Smooth, dry finish.

O/D - I wouldn't seek it out to be honest. It's pretty run of the mill but worth a shot if you're into the heferoos.

3.15/5  rDev -15.3%

Nice medium brown pour with an off-white head. No lace, no real retention.

Toasted wheat and some cocoa powder in the nose. I'm missing something.

This is a very one dimensional beer. Toasted what, light cocoa notes, some slight sourness toward the end, that mingles with light grain sweetness and some light bitterness. No spice, no banana/clove elements. This is a poor representation of the style.

Lighter boded, with good carbonation.

Not entirely hateful, but this is not what I want in the style. What was there was ok, but missing a ton.

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

.5L, best before 9/29/11.

Pours a lovely, cloudy mahogany with orangey highlights. Out of the light, it does almost look black. The head is standard Weizen fluffiness, and the lacing is very good.

The nose is muffled, though there's some fleeting ripe fruit and a strange wood-chip aroma.

The flavor is spicy, yeasty and bready. Very dry for a wheat beer. The finish has a touch of roast and chocolate, but it's very faint. If these dark malt flavors were cranked-up a bit, then this would be a very tasty beer. As it stands, a bit boring. The mouthfeel is excellent, with very soft, smooth and persistent carbonation.

This is much darker and drier than most Dunkelweizen. I can see where it gets it's "Schwarz" moniker. Overall a decent beer, though the standard Kapuziner Hefeweizen is far better.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours very dark brown with brown and very thick creamy head that lasts till the end of the glass, looks perfect. Aroma is rather intense toasty malt, when it warms up, some yeasty notes can be felt as well.

Taste is different from aroma, it starts watery with light feeling of toasty malt and bits of dark fruit in the finish. Mouthfeel is rather thin and very low carbonation, some warming feel after the glass is finished.

Overall, it looks good and smells good, but seriously lacks flavour.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

OK, I must preface my review by saying that I am not a big fan of the huge Weiss beer yeast character. I don't really care for the banana or clove that you get with them. That said, while I was spending time in Germany, I liked a lot of the DunkelWeizens, but didn't care much for the Heffe. When I saw this, I hoped that it would lean more toward the malt than the yeast being a Schwarz. Let's see what this bottle holds...

Appearance: I poured it relatively aggressively and it resulted in a 1/4" head of cream colored bubbles. The head was creamy too with a quickly developing hole in the center, but there is a long standing ring around the glass that looks the same quite a while after the pour. The beer is quite dark even when held to the light, so I can't see what must obviously be quite a few bubbles rising.

Aroma: The beer really smells like a Schwarzbier. This is great for me as I would think that this was just a lager that had been sitting on the shelf for a while rather than having anything to do with an ale yeast. I get tons of toasty Munich malt notes that are really fresh and inviting. This is mixed with a little dark caramel. Again, the yeast is reserved, but is starting to become a little more noticeable as the beer warms up some, but it hasn't gotten to the annoying point yet.

Taste: The flavor is significantly more "ale" than I ever would have anticipated from the aroma. I can get some of the banana in the flavor, but it is adding a freshness to the beer that is quite a nice mix with the toasty notes and sweetness. The malt rules this beer, and in fact, I am hard-pressed to pick up any bitterness that comes from anything but the darker malts. The finish is sweet, of course, with a little bit of the fruitiness from the yeast to mix with the toasty notes and caramel. This flavor lingers on the palate for a long time after the sip. If you added a hint of spice to the mix, it would finish like one of those seasonal cakes.

Opinion: Well, this is my first beer of the night, so this may be influencing my opinion, but I have enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I like the malt balance compared to the yeast, and the fact that even though the beer is opaque, you don't get any harshness or acidity from the dark malts. All this said, I doubt that I will be buying this beer much more when there is Kostritzer out there that, IMO, is superior to this beer. Though they are different "technology", agreed, but they are similar enough that I would use the descriptions of one to compare the other...to a point. Regardless, this is a pretty decent beer and give it a shot...especially if you like wheat beers.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

1 pint .9 fl. oz. bottle poured into a Weizen glass

A: Very thick foamy head on the pour that diminishes a little but stays present until the end of the glass. Chocolatey-brown color. Looks delicious. Appearance alone earns this one some respect.

S: Alcohol, yeast, dark fruit, bitter cocoa, short crust, blackberry jam.

T: Sweet cloves and nutmeg find their way throughout the taste. I get a lot of banana liquer. Not overtly impressive but enjoyable. Would happily drink again.

M: I had a hard time putting this one into words. One other review mentioned a dry-ness while not being astringent and I think I mostly agree with that.

D: Good. I like that I do get instances of hefeweizen and black ale. I could have this on all but my most picky nights.

3.3/5  rDev -11.3%

I'm always eager to sample new beers. This one's no exception.
Looked nice as it poured into my glass. Almost bible black with a light tan frothy head the welled up high then shortly thereafter receded into a creamy like layer over the top of the beer.

Try as I might- the nose is not much to write about. I think I noticed some hints of yeast but not much else.

Flavor is very light-- I can't find the Weizen in this beer. I can't find the toasted malt that I believe gives this beer it's characteristic "dark" color and so should supply hints of toasted malt, coffee, nutmeg and other flavors I'd associate with toasted ingredients. The Weizen part of the beer is also lacking. There's somewhat of a flavor at the start but it quickly dissolves and isn't heard from until the next sip and it's one second appearance once again. The finish phase takes over and ends with a very slight hops bitterness.

Mouthfeel is of a very light nondescript generic beer-- yeah it's a beer but exactly what style or type? Maybe it's my palate has worn from the ravages of strong coffee and spicy food.

Drinkability on the other hand is good. ABV is low enough so a pint-plus of this beer can be enjoyed without it ravaging ones (my) constitution.

This beer might make a great hot weather thirst quencher if served cold. The chill temperature wouldn't affect the flavor.

3.98/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 16.9oz swing top bottle into a weizen glass. No dating info but is new to the DFW market so should be fresh. It was a reddish brown color with lots of carb streams. It had a massive head that took awhile to whittle down to a constant foam cap. Great lacing with plenty sticking.

The aroma was a good mix of schwarzbier and dunkel. Roasted dark malt, cocoa, coffee and some banana esters. The taste was also good with the dark malt and smoked meat taste leading the way. Wasn't getting much of the banana directly but could tell that something was balancing down the darker elements. Interesting mix. Mouthfeel was a little watery. Also had an overly acidic aftertaste.

Overall, an interesting beer. I'm a big fan of both styles and this blend worked out pretty well. The other problem I had is that it really made me crave a true schwarzbier and not necessarily another of these. Avail here in TX. Rotation - would like to try on-tap. For bottles, maybe the rare one. [O;O]

4.13/5  rDev +11%

Pours a dark brown, with a nice head.
Smells of roasted malts, caramel and some toffee. A hint of the banana from hefe.
Tastes nice and bready/malty. A good toffee taste and once again a nice hint of hefeweizen, but nothing too prominent.
Not much carbonation, which is strange for anything with hefeweizen yeast.

Good beer though!

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a dark brown color. 5/4 inch head of a tan color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, slight pale malt, slight yeast, slight hop, hint of wheat, and a hint of roasted malt. Fits the style of a Dunkelweizen. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, hops, slight pale malt, slight yeast, and a hint of roasted malt. Overall, good appearance, aroma, and blend.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: Poured into a half liter weizen glass. The color is an almost opaque brown. Very thick and hazy. When held to a lamp, the edge has ruby and caramel tones to it. Dense, cappuccino-like head developed and dissipated slowly.

Smell: Standard fare for a dunkelweizen; it's a sinister hefe. Ripe fruit dominate, especially banana and apple, and yeast and bread are big players in the aroma. As it warms, scents of caramel, cocoa, milk chocolate, and nutmeg vie for dominance.

Taste: Surprisingly stout-like, which I like a lot. Based on the initial taste it's not even like I'm drinking a wheat. It tastes like a half coffee, half cappuccino: roasted coffee malts and whatever the hell cappuccino is made of. There is also a little cocoa or milk chocolate at play. After a few sips there is a noticeable nutmeg sweetness, which is also appreciable. The esters from the smell are almost nonexistent, and I don't miss them. There is also a lack of hop spice, though I will say a little pepper hangs around with the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Not bad. Tastes like a cross between a hefe and a schwarzbier. Though it's not the ideal wheat beer, especially for your ideal wheat beer occasion, this is good drinking. I would gladly buy this stuff again.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Pour the entire 22-ounce bottle into a 1-1/2 pint stein or it will be separated (or store it on its side until you're ready to pour).

A= dense dark near black although it was more gray-black coming out of the bottle, odd. Fair head from this bottle and some fair lacing and rimming.

S= caramel, nuts, light molasses, possibly dry coffee notes at times.

T= some dark roasted malts, caramel, pecan, slight flatness, only slight hints of Weizen traits, just not coming through in any level in an impressive way and it does not impress me as a cohesively balanced offering.

M= dry, my tongue is rubbing all over my mouth, my lips are oddly dry, yet it's not quite astringent; remnants of whatever traits might have existed, although rather obscure. Nothing I enjoy experiencing, unfortunately.

D= I think I would stop before I even bought another one, but if I had another bottle offered to me I probably wouldn't have much urge to have two.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

500 mL flip-top bottle pours a hazed, dark brown color with a large, fluffy tan head typical of a good wheat beer. Retention is awesome and lacing is nice.

Smells mighty fine with plenty of bananas and roasted malt. Yeasty esters win out by a fair margin over the malts and is pretty light in the clove department.

Snappy wheat is well balanced with the dark, roasty malt...very nice. Yeastiness is there, but not completely overbearing. Almost like eating a chocolate covered banana. This is a really well done beer. I am guessing the 'Schwarz-Weizen' term separates this from the typical dunkelweizen with more of a roasty malt as opposed to a sweeter caramel flavor found in many DWs. The low sweetness factor enhances the drinkability for me, along with a body thats just a notch below medium...my glass is emptying at an astonishing pace. One of the better dunkelweizens out there.

3.98/5  rDev +7%

what would look exactly as it called... a good swartsbier... but with an interesting quality and grit of a hef. pour is really nice near blackness with a mocha head of volume. nose is chocolaty, and hef fruit and clove all at once. palate is the creamy quality of a shwarts with the gritty zest of a hef for the finish. very elaborate... first molasses, cocoa, that breaks to a hop wheat malt grit and mild sour... like a smoked malt sour... quality... this fruit twang and sourness is the finish of something like burnt clove. blends well with the dark malt/wheat malt sweet finish. great beer. the closest thing i'm had is probably new glarus' black wheat. but more dimension.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Schwarz-Weizen. Literally. Big head, small retention, scant lace, black body.

S - Vague. Buttery and biscuity with only slight roast apparent.

T - Wow. Flavor-bomb. Deliciously subtle notes of chocolate, toffee, caramel, hazelnut, pecan, raisin, plum. More than I expected from the nose. Tastes very good, fall short in other aspects.

M - The feel is less than enhancing. It lacks the cojones to back up the flavor. Perhaps why the nose is so busted. And that would explain the glass jaw too...

D - Very drinkable at the 99 cent price-point that I procured it at today. Usually it is less drinkable, especially when it costs over $3.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a dark cola brown with a big thick head that recedes to a solid cap and leaves spotty lacing.

The aroma is very sweet with lots of bananas from the wheat and some underlying chocolate malts. Smeels like chocolate covered bananas.

The taste is more of the same though the sweetness is a bit more understated and the malts take on a much more roasted character.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and highly carbonated. It's a tad watery for me.

This is a solid beer but lacks the body to be a really great representation of the style. Very drinkable though.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Aggressive pour from a pop-top bottle into a weizen glass results in a nice 3 finger, tan colored head.
A- Cloudy, dark brown. As I hold the glass in the air, little or no light passes through. Looks tasty though. As the head begins to fade, the glass is left with a light lacing, almost like a cobweb.
S- Roasted malt. To my suprise, I can't pick out much wheat. I was expecting to.
T- Much like the smell. Roasted malt.
M- Light, and a little silky. I can feel the carbonation tingle in my mouth just a little bit.
D- Very drinkable. Goes down smooth.

All in all I would consider this average. I don't think I would necessarily recommend this, but I certainly wouldn't knock it either.

Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen from Kulmbacher Brauerei AG