Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

good

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Globetrotter on 04-16-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen Alström Bros
SkeeterHawk

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

OK, I must preface my review by saying that I am not a big fan of the huge Weiss beer yeast character. I don't really care for the banana or clove that you get with them. That said, while I was spending time in Germany, I liked a lot of the DunkelWeizens, but didn't care much for the Heffe. When I saw this, I hoped that it would lean more toward the malt than the yeast being a Schwarz. Let's see what this bottle holds...

Appearance: I poured it relatively aggressively and it resulted in a 1/4" head of cream colored bubbles. The head was creamy too with a quickly developing hole in the center, but there is a long standing ring around the glass that looks the same quite a while after the pour. The beer is quite dark even when held to the light, so I can't see what must obviously be quite a few bubbles rising.

Aroma: The beer really smells like a Schwarzbier. This is great for me as I would think that this was just a lager that had been sitting on the shelf for a while rather than having anything to do with an ale yeast. I get tons of toasty Munich malt notes that are really fresh and inviting. This is mixed with a little dark caramel. Again, the yeast is reserved, but is starting to become a little more noticeable as the beer warms up some, but it hasn't gotten to the annoying point yet.

Taste: The flavor is significantly more "ale" than I ever would have anticipated from the aroma. I can get some of the banana in the flavor, but it is adding a freshness to the beer that is quite a nice mix with the toasty notes and sweetness. The malt rules this beer, and in fact, I am hard-pressed to pick up any bitterness that comes from anything but the darker malts. The finish is sweet, of course, with a little bit of the fruitiness from the yeast to mix with the toasty notes and caramel. This flavor lingers on the palate for a long time after the sip. If you added a hint of spice to the mix, it would finish like one of those seasonal cakes.

Opinion: Well, this is my first beer of the night, so this may be influencing my opinion, but I have enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I like the malt balance compared to the yeast, and the fact that even though the beer is opaque, you don't get any harshness or acidity from the dark malts. All this said, I doubt that I will be buying this beer much more when there is Kostritzer out there that, IMO, is superior to this beer. Though they are different "technology", agreed, but they are similar enough that I would use the descriptions of one to compare the other...to a point. Regardless, this is a pretty decent beer and give it a shot...especially if you like wheat beers.

01-07-2011 11:31:17 | More by SkeeterHawk
ForWhatAlesYou

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

1 pint .9 fl. oz. bottle poured into a Weizen glass

A: Very thick foamy head on the pour that diminishes a little but stays present until the end of the glass. Chocolatey-brown color. Looks delicious. Appearance alone earns this one some respect.

S: Alcohol, yeast, dark fruit, bitter cocoa, short crust, blackberry jam.

T: Sweet cloves and nutmeg find their way throughout the taste. I get a lot of banana liquer. Not overtly impressive but enjoyable. Would happily drink again.

M: I had a hard time putting this one into words. One other review mentioned a dry-ness while not being astringent and I think I mostly agree with that.

D: Good. I like that I do get instances of hefeweizen and black ale. I could have this on all but my most picky nights.

12-20-2010 03:13:14 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

3.3/5  rDev -11.3%

I'm always eager to sample new beers. This one's no exception.
Looked nice as it poured into my glass. Almost bible black with a light tan frothy head the welled up high then shortly thereafter receded into a creamy like layer over the top of the beer.

Try as I might- the nose is not much to write about. I think I noticed some hints of yeast but not much else.

Flavor is very light-- I can't find the Weizen in this beer. I can't find the toasted malt that I believe gives this beer it's characteristic "dark" color and so should supply hints of toasted malt, coffee, nutmeg and other flavors I'd associate with toasted ingredients. The Weizen part of the beer is also lacking. There's somewhat of a flavor at the start but it quickly dissolves and isn't heard from until the next sip and it's one second appearance once again. The finish phase takes over and ends with a very slight hops bitterness.

Mouthfeel is of a very light nondescript generic beer-- yeah it's a beer but exactly what style or type? Maybe it's my palate has worn from the ravages of strong coffee and spicy food.

Drinkability on the other hand is good. ABV is low enough so a pint-plus of this beer can be enjoyed without it ravaging ones (my) constitution.

This beer might make a great hot weather thirst quencher if served cold. The chill temperature wouldn't affect the flavor.

11-27-2010 22:23:34 | More by gueuzeonhigh
TexIndy

3.98/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 16.9oz swing top bottle into a weizen glass. No dating info but is new to the DFW market so should be fresh. It was a reddish brown color with lots of carb streams. It had a massive head that took awhile to whittle down to a constant foam cap. Great lacing with plenty sticking.

The aroma was a good mix of schwarzbier and dunkel. Roasted dark malt, cocoa, coffee and some banana esters. The taste was also good with the dark malt and smoked meat taste leading the way. Wasn't getting much of the banana directly but could tell that something was balancing down the darker elements. Interesting mix. Mouthfeel was a little watery. Also had an overly acidic aftertaste.

Overall, an interesting beer. I'm a big fan of both styles and this blend worked out pretty well. The other problem I had is that it really made me crave a true schwarzbier and not necessarily another of these. Avail here in TX. Rotation - would like to try on-tap. For bottles, maybe the rare one. [O;O]

10-28-2010 01:44:24 | More by TexIndy
Spineypanda

4.13/5  rDev +11%

Pours a dark brown, with a nice head.
Smells of roasted malts, caramel and some toffee. A hint of the banana from hefe.
Tastes nice and bready/malty. A good toffee taste and once again a nice hint of hefeweizen, but nothing too prominent.
Not much carbonation, which is strange for anything with hefeweizen yeast.

Good beer though!

10-16-2010 01:33:04 | More by Spineypanda
Tone

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a dark brown color. 5/4 inch head of a tan color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, slight pale malt, slight yeast, slight hop, hint of wheat, and a hint of roasted malt. Fits the style of a Dunkelweizen. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, hops, slight pale malt, slight yeast, and a hint of roasted malt. Overall, good appearance, aroma, and blend.

10-07-2010 13:21:43 | More by Tone
TheQuietMan22

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: Poured into a half liter weizen glass. The color is an almost opaque brown. Very thick and hazy. When held to a lamp, the edge has ruby and caramel tones to it. Dense, cappuccino-like head developed and dissipated slowly.

Smell: Standard fare for a dunkelweizen; it's a sinister hefe. Ripe fruit dominate, especially banana and apple, and yeast and bread are big players in the aroma. As it warms, scents of caramel, cocoa, milk chocolate, and nutmeg vie for dominance.

Taste: Surprisingly stout-like, which I like a lot. Based on the initial taste it's not even like I'm drinking a wheat. It tastes like a half coffee, half cappuccino: roasted coffee malts and whatever the hell cappuccino is made of. There is also a little cocoa or milk chocolate at play. After a few sips there is a noticeable nutmeg sweetness, which is also appreciable. The esters from the smell are almost nonexistent, and I don't miss them. There is also a lack of hop spice, though I will say a little pepper hangs around with the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Not bad. Tastes like a cross between a hefe and a schwarzbier. Though it's not the ideal wheat beer, especially for your ideal wheat beer occasion, this is good drinking. I would gladly buy this stuff again.

09-04-2010 04:43:08 | More by TheQuietMan22
therica

Maryland

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Pour the entire 22-ounce bottle into a 1-1/2 pint stein or it will be separated (or store it on its side until you're ready to pour).

A= dense dark near black although it was more gray-black coming out of the bottle, odd. Fair head from this bottle and some fair lacing and rimming.

S= caramel, nuts, light molasses, possibly dry coffee notes at times.

T= some dark roasted malts, caramel, pecan, slight flatness, only slight hints of Weizen traits, just not coming through in any level in an impressive way and it does not impress me as a cohesively balanced offering.

M= dry, my tongue is rubbing all over my mouth, my lips are oddly dry, yet it's not quite astringent; remnants of whatever traits might have existed, although rather obscure. Nothing I enjoy experiencing, unfortunately.

D= I think I would stop before I even bought another one, but if I had another bottle offered to me I probably wouldn't have much urge to have two.

08-16-2010 07:52:09 | More by therica
twiggamortis420

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

500 mL flip-top bottle pours a hazed, dark brown color with a large, fluffy tan head typical of a good wheat beer. Retention is awesome and lacing is nice.

Smells mighty fine with plenty of bananas and roasted malt. Yeasty esters win out by a fair margin over the malts and is pretty light in the clove department.

Snappy wheat is well balanced with the dark, roasty malt...very nice. Yeastiness is there, but not completely overbearing. Almost like eating a chocolate covered banana. This is a really well done beer. I am guessing the 'Schwarz-Weizen' term separates this from the typical dunkelweizen with more of a roasty malt as opposed to a sweeter caramel flavor found in many DWs. The low sweetness factor enhances the drinkability for me, along with a body thats just a notch below medium...my glass is emptying at an astonishing pace. One of the better dunkelweizens out there.

08-07-2010 17:12:33 | More by twiggamortis420
rtepiak

Poland

3.98/5  rDev +7%

what would look exactly as it called... a good swartsbier... but with an interesting quality and grit of a hef. pour is really nice near blackness with a mocha head of volume. nose is chocolaty, and hef fruit and clove all at once. palate is the creamy quality of a shwarts with the gritty zest of a hef for the finish. very elaborate... first molasses, cocoa, that breaks to a hop wheat malt grit and mild sour... like a smoked malt sour... quality... this fruit twang and sourness is the finish of something like burnt clove. blends well with the dark malt/wheat malt sweet finish. great beer. the closest thing i'm had is probably new glarus' black wheat. but more dimension.

08-05-2010 23:26:13 | More by rtepiak
ktrillionaire

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Schwarz-Weizen. Literally. Big head, small retention, scant lace, black body.

S - Vague. Buttery and biscuity with only slight roast apparent.

T - Wow. Flavor-bomb. Deliciously subtle notes of chocolate, toffee, caramel, hazelnut, pecan, raisin, plum. More than I expected from the nose. Tastes very good, fall short in other aspects.

M - The feel is less than enhancing. It lacks the cojones to back up the flavor. Perhaps why the nose is so busted. And that would explain the glass jaw too...

D - Very drinkable at the 99 cent price-point that I procured it at today. Usually it is less drinkable, especially when it costs over $3.

07-17-2010 05:55:27 | More by ktrillionaire
gford217

Georgia

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a dark cola brown with a big thick head that recedes to a solid cap and leaves spotty lacing.

The aroma is very sweet with lots of bananas from the wheat and some underlying chocolate malts. Smeels like chocolate covered bananas.

The taste is more of the same though the sweetness is a bit more understated and the malts take on a much more roasted character.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and highly carbonated. It's a tad watery for me.

This is a solid beer but lacks the body to be a really great representation of the style. Very drinkable though.

07-07-2010 01:03:52 | More by gford217
stratelectric

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Aggressive pour from a pop-top bottle into a weizen glass results in a nice 3 finger, tan colored head.
A- Cloudy, dark brown. As I hold the glass in the air, little or no light passes through. Looks tasty though. As the head begins to fade, the glass is left with a light lacing, almost like a cobweb.
S- Roasted malt. To my suprise, I can't pick out much wheat. I was expecting to.
T- Much like the smell. Roasted malt.
M- Light, and a little silky. I can feel the carbonation tingle in my mouth just a little bit.
D- Very drinkable. Goes down smooth.

All in all I would consider this average. I don't think I would necessarily recommend this, but I certainly wouldn't knock it either.

07-02-2010 19:09:20 | More by stratelectric
babaracas

2.7/5  rDev -27.4%

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights and thin cream-colored head. Smell: astringent, roasted, some black malt, no contribution from the wheat. Taste: same as the nose - astringent, middling roastiness, a touch of black malt, and no wheat. Thin feel, lowish carbonation. This sounded like a hybrid of a shwarz and a dunkelweizen, but this is pretty much garbage.

06-23-2010 04:08:17 | More by babaracas
Murchmac

Saw this bottle at Beer Revolution and a Schwarz-weizen intrigued me.

Cloudy, dark, with lots of foam bubbling up.

Banana, cloves, breadyness, roasty goodness.

Tastes as good as its name. Yeasts, banana, bready roastedness.

This was an interesting beer and i'm glad I took the chance on it unlike ABBA

06-18-2010 04:29:54 | More by Murchmac
Bung

16.9 oz. Cloudy dark brown pour, a good two fingers of dark cream colored head.

Heavy wheat, rye in the aroma. Some clove and faint roast

Standard bread, banana and clove flavors. These are accompanied by some roast malt and cocoa. Just a hint of that bitter roast through the finish.

Almost creamy mouthfeel. Almost a milk like feeling. Very drinkable even with the cheweyness. No abv present at all.

Real good, drinkable brew. Solid, but still able to drink this on a seventy+ degree night.

06-05-2010 02:16:59 | More by Bung
Slatetank

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

I picked this up at Julio's - I had this in Germany, but wanted to see if I liked it as much at home years later - poured chilled from the flip top 750 into a Weizen glass, shared with tenderbranson69.

A - poured vigorously which creates a huge 4 finger sandstone cream atop a coffee colored dark brown bordering on black. The bead is tiny and the surface of the ale has a frothed milk appearance. There is sporadic lace that clings in a bat wing pattern

S - A cocoa bean like smell coupled with coffee and some bready notes w/ light biscuit and nuttiness of the roasted wheat w/ mellow toffee and toasted grainw/ mild floral notes in the back

M - The feel is good w/ creamy/roasty slick and smooth textures. A moderately carbonated wheat w/ mild charred tinge and roastiness underlying w/ a mild fruity light tinge of yeast and the nutty textures carries on with a dry gently spiced finish

T - I really like the flavor of this ale - coffee-like character and smoothness of the wheat together are a good blend w/ pretty nice level of toasted flavors w/ a mild charred tinge. the wheat is slightly fruity w/ ripe banana notes and light cinnamon tinge w/ mildy woody hop adding complexity. The yeast gives the flavor smoothness too with a mild creamy taste and light caramel edges from the malt anchor the taste and blend with the char elements

D - I recommend this if you are a fan of schwarzbiers and dunkles - A very tasty wheat with slight hybrid taste of schwarzbier/hefeweizen -I consider this worth seeking out

04-26-2010 16:49:21 | More by Slatetank
Hibernator

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Kapuziner
16.9 ounce brown bottle with a swing top
Bottle # 1917222
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

Pours a deep chestnut brown and black combo. Nice fluffy head on top with a tan colored appearance. Almost looks like a stout.

Pleasant nose with some funky yeast whiffs, perhaps some banana notes.

Soft mouthfeel with flavors of caramel drizzle and light chocolate from the nice malt profile of the beer. The overall flavors are pretty tight if you like malty hefeweizens.

Mini hop snap on the finish, but what is most interesting about this german beer is its authenticity and nailing that yeast flavors. Hints of bananas, bubble gum and pineapple. So drinkable, smooth and interesting if you're in the mood.

04-09-2010 21:47:09 | More by Hibernator
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%

Properly poured in two stages at 45 degrees into a proper Hefeweizen glass. Yields a huge, thick, creamy, chunky-rocky tan head over a dark brown nearly opaque body. Head stands well above the glass, thick as meringue. Plenty of lacing as the head fades.

Smell is dark-roasted malt, wheaten dark bread, some bubblegum, some fruits and hints of clove and coffee. Intriguing aroma. Bubblegum rises as the beverage warms. Hope it tastes this good.

Taste is spot on with the smell, with an added note of mildly metallic hops. Wow! From the average review score, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. I'm really impressed. Love the bubblegum and dark malt together: a kind of sour-dough flavor. Fascinating.

Mouthfeel is decent, fairly round, with nice light carbonation. Pleasingly palatable.

Easy-drinking beer.

Can't for the life of me understand why this isn't rated higher. Of course, I generally love Hefe- and Dunkel-weizens in all their permutations, so maybe it's more about me than the beer. Still, I strongly recommend this to all wheat-beer fans.

02-27-2010 05:13:51 | More by ColoradoBobs
MrHassellYaHurd

Louisiana

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours into a weizen glass a dark, opaque chocolate brown with a thick tan head billowing from the top.

Smells of cloves and baked banana bread. Slight roasted malts, but otherwise smells like a dunkelweizen.

The taste is completely different from what the nose would have you believe (though not a shocker considering the color). Roasted malt really comes through, almost stout like, as well as the banana tastes. Not much of the typical citrus notes.

The schwarz-weisse is a little thicker than the typical dunkel, but remains fairly drinkable.

01-18-2010 22:31:24 | More by MrHassellYaHurd
roddwolff

Mexico

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Black wheat Beer taked in honor of a my friend of mine who got married on 19 december 2009.

A: Once served in my weissbier glass "Erdinger Weissbräu", had a dark brown and opaque color, the foamy head is also dark, creamy with medium duration, good lacing;

S: Wheat and roasted malt, some prunes too;

T: Roasted malt, toffee and roasted coffee, also with floral hops, wheat hardly found;

M: Dry, medium body and low carbonation;

D: Dark wheat beers are always very good.

12-23-2009 01:26:08 | More by roddwolff
beerthulhu

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

-Bavarian Black wheat.

A: From the bottle poured a deep chocolate brown while in the glass was a flat black with a 2 finger whipped, creamy khaki colored head that was moderately lasting. There was a decent amount of macro bran-colored flake yeasty matter that rested on the bottom of the glass.

S: The nose was a smooth, wet, charred malting accompanied by hints of lightly burnt chocolate and bananas. The overall strength was light with a smooth roasted nature.

T: The initial flavor opens with a big yeasty banana flavor combining well with a deep roasted malting of hazelnut coffee. A smooth offering of scorched malt and bittersweetness of chocolate comes through while the yeasty quality of bananas was both fresh, and refreshing. Smooth with a wet minerality the beer finishes up with a final offering of bananas.

M: light bodied like a Schwarz with a slight creaminess of weizen. There is a noticeable good amount of carbonation adding bubbles and life providing just the right amount of accent.

D: fairly good, a light bodied affair like a good Schwarz with a smooth bitterness that goes down well enough. Good recommend.

12-10-2009 23:53:43 | More by beerthulhu
drabmuh

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a bottle into a hefeweizen glass. Served with yeast. Beer is brown, thick head made up of brown bubbles. There is very little lacing.

Beer has a yeasty aroma and some esters, overall a little mild.

Beer is good, odd yeasty bitterness, mouthfeel is overall really nice, beer is really smooth. Beer has some sweetness, some fruity flavors, full bodied, clean finish. Drinkability high.

11-24-2009 23:42:25 | More by drabmuh
morebeergood

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

Purchased a bottle at Wine Gallery, Brookline. New swing top version. Poured into a stemmed glass. Dark black color. Slight white head. Somewhat fizzy with carbonation. Smell was a bit smoky. Taste was quite unusual but enjoyable. The weizen part gave it a nice and light wheaty flavor. But the schwarz part gave it a toasted and almost burnt malt flavor to it. I found this beer a bit lighter in body and lower in abv that over dunkels I've tried. Easily drinkable, but not a beer that I'd have several of at one time. I bought it for the novelty of the style (are there many schwarz-weizens out there?) and I was impressed by Kulmbacher.

10-13-2009 23:08:37 | More by morebeergood
philipquarles

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

One of the new 500ml swing-top bottles. Pours black (no way!) with a thick light-beige head that leaves great lacing. Typical weizen character in the aroma, but augmented by a sharp, bitter roastiness that seems quite unusual. Light banana notes. Interesting, but not necessarily bad. Notes of carbon/graphite. Dry, roasty taste with the typical tangy yeast. Really interesting stuff. Medium, well-carbonated body. Though I'm a fan of the regular Kapuziner weisse, this one doesn't quite stand up. Interesting for sure, but not a favorite.

10-06-2009 03:49:21 | More by philipquarles