Mönchshof Schwarzbier - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

Mönchshof SchwarzbierMönchshof Schwarzbier

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mönchshof Schwarzbier Alström Bros

w3chicago, Dec 30, 2012
1.38/5  rDev -65.9%

Kulmbacher Mönchshof Schwarz

Appearance: Dark brown with some lacing.

Smell: Cream, slight chocolate, but almost foul and not pleasant.

Taste: Watery, faint chocolate cream, roasted/burnt malts.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery.

Overall:
Ok. This beer isn't that great. It is drinkable, but almost flavorless with a sour and almost foul nose. It leaves me wondering if there is something wrong with my bottle. It has an almost-creamy texture and a hint of flavor.

Hopefully, I will try another and my review will change.

megahurts4, Oct 08, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -61%

On tap at HopLeaf
Pours a clear dark copperish color with light lacing and head. Smell is like band-aids and malt. Taste is roasty but very thin and watery. Almost old and stale tasting. Just a mess. Wouldn't recommend this based on my sample of this beer at all.

JDV, Jun 30, 2008

Nolegirlmitch, Jan 10, 2013
2.38/5  rDev -41.2%

Feh! With all the hoopla around this beer, I expected more. Nice appearance, brown and toasty looking with a decent head that held dents quite firmly. Good aroma, with all the roasty smell I've come to expect from a schwarzbier, with enough hops to remind one that this isn't an ale. But the taste... thin, lifeless, watery; no body to speak of and no reason to have another. I bought this expecting more from the brewery that produces Kapuziner!

gfreed, May 23, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

beerbrains, Oct 30, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -35.8%

With Portishead on the Hi-Fi it is time to break into this bottle . 22 .oz bottle poured into a pint glass . Dark brown color with a thick off white head . For aroma there is not much to smell . Again my sense of smell is not that great . For taste it is Ok . A bit watery but there is some flavor . Coffee , caramel and toffee . Not as bold as I would like . For my first ever Schwarzbier , it was not bad and I will try another . Thanks to James at Beverly Wine & Beer for picking this one .

Kudashov, Mar 02, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

rderedin, Jul 28, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Appears light black to dark brown in color, translucent when held to light, and a fairly nice off white head. In both the smell and the taste I did notice one flaw, and that was a rusty charecter. I almost reminded me of well-water. I've gotta blame the beer, since my water has never smelled that way and I've never noticed it in another beer. Perhaps it was oxidized? Other than that I have to say the beer was a bit on the week side, not a strong smell, not many specialty malt flavors or perceptable hop flavors, and a bit of that baking soda/carbonation taste as well. Mouthfeel is pretty standard, though. I gotta say I'm a bit dissapointed, especialy since a buddy recomended this beer to me and even got him hooked on the style. I gotta hope I got a bad bottle.

zjungleist, May 06, 2006

draftpunk, Apr 07, 2013

angolmois, Nov 29, 2013

Raziel313, Jun 01, 2014

John_Squires, Sep 22, 2013

plato, Apr 06, 2013

disemgrowler, Feb 16, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -23.5%

pours a medium dark drown...porteresque
rudy shines through as its held to the light
Big head. Almost rocky.
Smell is somewhat pale...licorice maybe noted.
Taste is of black licorice and dark malts...bitter.
Good mouthfeel. Although bitter.
Not a bad beer.

dmamiano, Nov 23, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -22.7%

A dark beer from the pour, with an aroma not largely detectable, but still had a nice roasted malt, coffee type smell. The flavor of this brew was nothing to write home about, I was expecting more and I didn't get it. The flavor reminded me more of a golden pilsner rather than the dark color would lead you to believe. I would drink it again if it was given to me.

BigHead, Apr 29, 2003
3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured a deep dark red mahogany (not as black as I was expecting) topped by a thick tan head with good retention. The aroma, well, not much there... a slight toasty scent, but one of the least fragrant beers I've ever drank. The taste started with mild, malty sweetness with a slightly burnt toast finish (which isn't good for my English muffin, but great in a beer). Some root-like and woody tastes were in there too. Bitter hops melded with the burnt toast flavors in the finish.

Nice level of carbonation, and a very smooth and drinkable brew. More mild than what I hoped, but this is a new style for me.

On a pairing note, didn't pair quite so well with sausage and black beans as was suggested to me.... just made the beer slightly less bitter, and the food slightly less spicy. But it went surprisingly well with my poundcake for dessert... the flavors in both blended and evened out nicely... who would have thought?

apintofknowledge, Feb 22, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -21.5%

A nice deep brown color w/ pretty auburn edges when held up to light. the head is nice and thick and tan.

Aroma of roasted malt, with some hops shining through, albeit subtly. The taste is also roasty in nature, I get a bit of a metallic or tinny taste toward the end. Finishes dry with a bit of a lingering bitter aftertaste, though it falls off quickly.

Light bodied, and nicely carbonated, this is real smooth in the mouth. A good drinkable Schwarz. I would recommend this to anyone.

ZimZamZoom, Nov 25, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -21%

*i did not mind would not buy*

app: dirty cola water.. not bad or good..

smell: some toasted malt some bitternes in the nose, not many a hop .. rich, but smells like a potential headache beer.

taste: rich chewy, yummy not bad at all, good black toasty malts but a bit A BIT spoiled, .. but good none the less.

mf: fine.. not good but not bad.

drinkable: ?? yes, but a bit bottle in it. other wise good.

AndoBrew, Apr 08, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -20.2%

Dark burgundy in color, with a sizeable tan head which fades somewhat quickly to a skimming.
Deep sniffs produced very little in the aroma dept. Black malts are about the only thing to be notice. Maybe a touch of carmel sweetness.
Everything about the taste seems tentative. Starts with non-assertive carmel/toffee flavors, followed by timid black malts. Wimpy chocolate hues dance on the periphery, too afraid to enter. Finished with some passive hops, that don't add much character.
Body is similarily weak. Watery, and passive.
On a plus note, it is very simple to drink and not think about. There's nothing offensive here, just nothing memorable.

Afterword: I let this sit for about 30 minutes. Upon returning, some roasty tones settled into both the aroma and taste. There wasn't much beer left, so I'll have to stand by the ratings I posted. But it seems like a better bet at room temp...still pretty average.

cokes, Oct 01, 2002
3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

Deep auburn with an off-white frothy head that held if uneven. A very slight bit foggy which wasn't expected. A very oat-bread sort of smell to it with some citrus at the end of each whiff. Not too sweet with good hoppiness on the finish. Almost dry but not quite. Not really memorable though with a bit too much carbonation. Alright drinkability.

packetknife, Jun 06, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

Amp, Jul 13, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -19%

The beer is red brown with a tan head leaving some lacing.

The smell has toasted malt and some chocolate aromas.

Initially rather sweet, brown syrup, some sour fruit notes, a slightly bitter finish.

Medium high carbonation, small lively bubbles, a medium body, rather refreshing.

An accessible beer.

rarbring, Feb 09, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -17.3%

When this beer was poured into my glass, it poured a very small tan head with fine-small bubbles that quickly diminished. This beer had good lacing and I observed some carbonation with this beer. The body was clear and the hue was dark brown. The mouthfeel was light-medium and smooth. The nose was a bit citrusy and malty. The flavor was roasty and somewhat burnt.

hotstuff, Jul 12, 2003