Mönchshof Schwarzbier - Kulmbacher Brauerei AG

Mönchshof SchwarzbierMönchshof Schwarzbier

Kulmbacher Brauerei AG visit their website
Germany

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-19-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mönchshof Schwarzbier Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark coffee coffee with a reddish hue. Nice brownish inviting head, with good head retention & great lacing. Also good lagerlike carbonation
S: Espresso, coffee, burnt roasted malts...also some chocolate & some butter
T: Coffee first up, some roast malts, no fruity esters (maybe cos its a dark lager has somethnig to do with it lol)...not too complex but full of flavour & very enjoyable
M: Felt a little watery initially across the tongue, but then again a little buttery thickness in finish. Lively carbonation & definately creamy after feel.
D: Gr8...simple but very enjoyable Dark German Lager, & considering it has a classic dark stronger flavour, I could easily sit on this moreso than some mainstream lighter lagers.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A - Poured out of the bottle into a flute. Poured a dark brown with ruby highlights, a finger of head that quickly fell leaving very little lace. Carbonation was very active

S - A very yeasty..bready smell, with just a very small hint of alcohol hidden very deep.

T - A bready roasted malt taste that finishes with a very small hop bitterness to just cut the roasted flavor..finishes dry

M - Very lively and carbonated..giving a very crisp drink, along with the dry finish makes this excellent

D - Overall a very drinkable beer..the elements of the beer come together to make it very enjoyable

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

This beer is an absolute as a session beer. It has everything you drink porters and stouts for: the chocolatey roasted malt flavors without a lot of the heaviness that said beers possess. It doesn't have a huge mouthfeel but more than adequate. Overall, I found this to be the best of all worlds and will visit this one again and again. Yet another reason to visit Germany for sampling. I give this my highest recommendation.

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

Fantastic schwarzbier in a 1pt. 9oz bottle with ever-so fun flip top. Greatly anticipating this offering from the lovely folks at Monchshof, the pour was a smooth dark brown bordering on black, with crimson-red edges where the light shone through. A full tan head of 2 fingers sat and left some good lace while drinking. The aroma was a deeply roasted malt with nuts and a hint of toffee in the vein of a nice porter. The flavor was a great rich continuation of the aroma with the hint of espresso added and a nice hop edge at the end with a wee tad of lemon. A fantastic, smooth & rich delicious beer that I could drink all night. I'm sad to say that I only had one.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I guess I have to thank the Soccer World Cup for this brew, 'cause a local supermarket is now offering 7 beers from the Kulmbacher brewery in a sort of a celebration or homage for the host of this sport event.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
:-)

Pours a dark brew, with reddish, ruby when seen in trough a backlight. Matching dark and bubbly head, and some lacing.

Smell is discrete, of roasted malts, though.

A well balanced and medium beer. Taste starts with a roasted malt presence, that lingers a bit, also some bitterness. Quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel is also discrete, with a nice mild bitter aftertaste.

With my kind of weather, hot 8 to 9 months a years, this is nice everyday beer.

¡Salud!

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Outstanding smooth, rounded maltyness. Slight drak roasted flavor. Great beer that is very esay to drink. A touch too sweet for what I consider the perfect schwarzbier but DAMN good.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Chilled and poured in to a pint size non serrated mug. Thick creamy off white rather gray head appears, leaving great sticky lacing all over the mug, clumpy and wonderful. The retention is decent, a little less than a finger tall. The body is very dark and almost completely opaque except for tiny shades of the deepest burgundy around the base of the mug. Smells slightly yeasty (hefe wiese yeasty lager yeasty) with subtle notes of roasted barley and chocolate. Very clean no fruit in the nose, obviously because of lager fermentation. Taste is not terribly out going or crazy flavorful very smooth and subtle. The flavor play really operates on a low level. Roasted barley is present with notes of biscuit, with a slight caramel hint. Hops are detectable to ward the middle end of the drink. Very easy drinking beer alcohol is low enough to put a few back, but I do wish it was a tad more forward and less subdued. Totally drinkable and worth trying out.

3.15/5  rDev -22%

Poured a deep dark red mahogany (not as black as I was expecting) topped by a thick tan head with good retention. The aroma, well, not much there... a slight toasty scent, but one of the least fragrant beers I've ever drank. The taste started with mild, malty sweetness with a slightly burnt toast finish (which isn't good for my English muffin, but great in a beer). Some root-like and woody tastes were in there too. Bitter hops melded with the burnt toast flavors in the finish.

Nice level of carbonation, and a very smooth and drinkable brew. More mild than what I hoped, but this is a new style for me.

On a pairing note, didn't pair quite so well with sausage and black beans as was suggested to me.... just made the beer slightly less bitter, and the food slightly less spicy. But it went surprisingly well with my poundcake for dessert... the flavors in both blended and evened out nicely... who would have thought?

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

*i did not mind would not buy*

app: dirty cola water.. not bad or good..

smell: some toasted malt some bitternes in the nose, not many a hop .. rich, but smells like a potential headache beer.

taste: rich chewy, yummy not bad at all, good black toasty malts but a bit A BIT spoiled, .. but good none the less.

mf: fine.. not good but not bad.

drinkable: ?? yes, but a bit bottle in it. other wise good.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Had out of a plastic mug, served from a part keg at an outdoor concert. Pours a deep dark brown with a thick tan head. I guess I should rate this down since its not black like the style suggests, but it looks nice so I'm not. Smells roasty, and of dark chocolate. First thing I noticed about how it tastes is that it has a earthy, somewhat metallic character to it. Not what I expected but I like it. Chocolate and roasted flavors dominate. Creamy head, but sharp, highly effervescent finish. I liked this beer. The earthy character makes it stand out I guess.

4.85/5  rDev +20%

The beer was enjoyed at the brewery in Kulmbach the best black beer in the world IMO!
Rich dark brown head that lasted throughout the half liter glass as the maltiness was very present and roasty.
It was very refreshing and went well with the Nurnberger sausages if you're in Bavaria also a must to eat with spicy mustard. Mouthfeel smooth and silky which leads to it being highly drinkable as well as a low ABV.

2.98/5  rDev -26.2%

Appears light black to dark brown in color, translucent when held to light, and a fairly nice off white head. In both the smell and the taste I did notice one flaw, and that was a rusty charecter. I almost reminded me of well-water. I've gotta blame the beer, since my water has never smelled that way and I've never noticed it in another beer. Perhaps it was oxidized? Other than that I have to say the beer was a bit on the week side, not a strong smell, not many specialty malt flavors or perceptable hop flavors, and a bit of that baking soda/carbonation taste as well. Mouthfeel is pretty standard, though. I gotta say I'm a bit dissapointed, especialy since a buddy recomended this beer to me and even got him hooked on the style. I gotta hope I got a bad bottle.

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

This beer pours a clear dark reddish brown with a moderate rocky tan head. The mouthfeel is thin-firm. The smelll is rich roasted malt. The taste is very mild roasted malt with dry hoppy bitter finish. This is a drinkable, mild malty beer that is pretty enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours out black as night, good full, tan head forms up, good lacing. There's a bit of chocolate in the nose, some grainy notes and some roasted malt. Very nutty, roasted character in the taste, nice and smooth with an enjoyable hop presence that is noticeable towards the end of the sip. Very bready and malty, slightly dry with a solid medium body. Two thumbs up for drinkability, extremely refreshing and crisp, nice light abv. An all around good beer for sure.

I love darker Pilsners, but this thing is almost black. It has a nice head that is creamy and thick. The aroma of dark malts is well blended with a touch of hops. The taste is very sweet and sugary(it reminds me of Newcastle for some reason) and the roasted malty goodness is perfectly balanced with the hops. A perfect beer in my opinion. I could drink a lot of these! :)

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

16.9 oz (probably) poured into a mug

A - ruby to near black. it was fairly dark. 3cm of head.

S - roasted malt, caramel malt

T - roasted malt, caramel malt, hops. The first schwarzbier I ever had was Sam Adams Black Lager. this beer used a much smaller amount of roasted barley.

M - kind of thin

D - very, very drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Served: In a bottle, poured in an ale glass.

A: Dark, dark brown body with a decent 1 inch head, stuck around for a little while. Looks thick like a stout.

S: Nothing really to smell here, but it smells like a dark beer. There was a roasted coffee smell.

T: Tastes very thin for a dark beer. I like to think of it as a "light stout."

M: Very thin and leaves me with coffee breath, which corresponds to the taste.

D: For it being a thin black beer, it's not all that bad. I'm actually glad I bought it. I wish it had more character to it though.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a humpen German beer mug and a pint glass.

A-Deep black with some hints of deep red, but very black; nice tan and creamy 1 finger head; nice sticky lacing left on the glass and on the surface of the beer.

S-quite malty; semi-sweet chocolate; perhaps some ground coffee beans. Fresh.

T-Black licorice, semi-sweet chocolate, and black coffee. Hints of toffee. Very balanced. It was bitter-sweet and that's exactly the way I like them! The aftertaste had a mix of sweet choco, bitter choco from the hops, black licorice, slight alcohol; creamy and malty.

M-I have had several schwarzbiers that range from light, medium, and full bodied. This beer was medium to full bodied, but crisp and easy to drink. Could easily have a couple in one sitting. So creamy, smooth, and soft!

Overall, I recommend this to everyone. I felt like drinking another on my way home in the cab, but I didn't' have one to drink. It's quite a nice brew and it complements German schnitzel and kraut. It's one the best schwarzbiers I've had. Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Brown 0.5L flip top bottle. No "best by" date, but I got it only a few months ago and it's been in the fridge.

This beer pours a brilliant mahogany, so clear that you can read the newspaper through it. It has a two finger off-white creamy head, which after several minutes turns to lace. A nice looking beer!

Aroma is malty (roasted malts) with caramel; toastines along with hints of chocolate.

Taste is malty, slightly sweet; the roastiness, toastiness and chocolate also comes through, Very well balanced and really "clean".

A medium mouthfeel; substantive enough to fill your mouth with a caramelly malty sensation.

The bottle label calls this beer a "black pils". That is a decent description. One of the easiest beers to drink that I have run across. Goes down very easy....another 500ml would be very welcome.

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a very dark brown with a thin creamy head. Light penetrates the bottom and sides of the pint glass, creating a mahogany effect. Crisp, clean aroma with faint floral hops. There is also a slight malty undertone to the aroma. The taste starts off with a hop bitterness that transitions nicely into a malty presence. During the swallow, and leading to the aftertaste, there is a strong dark chocolate presence that surprised me. After a few sips, little burps began that brought the hoppiness back into the mouth. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean, what you expect form a lager. It is heavily carbonated.

A rather strange beer. I liked it, but found the rather strong aftertaste a little off-putting. This was my first schwarzbier, and I wonder how this one compares to others in its class.

Mönchshof Schwarzbier from Kulmbacher Brauerei AG