XX Sweetgrass Double India Pale Ale - Grand Teton Brewing Co.

XX Sweetgrass Double India Pale AleXX Sweetgrass Double India Pale Ale

Grand Teton Brewing Co. visit their website
Idaho, United States

Sweetgrass India Pale Ale has been a GTBC staple since early 2002. Brewed solidly in the American IPA style, Sweetgrass is crisp and fragrant with a generous yet smooth hop character. XX Sweetgrass is all that twice over, with double the malt and double the hops—an astonishing three pounds per barrel in the kettle and another pound per barrel of “dry-hops” added after fermentation.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 05-02-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by tyanow:
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Light amber/strawberry blonde with a slight haze to it. I pillowy white head and lacing that lasts for days.

The smell is a bit piney, strong hop and light fruit.

The first and last thought I had about the taste was 'peachy'. It has a peach like quality and sweetness, good smooth hoppiness.

Velvety smooth in the mouth. I read that a few people found this beer to be not very well balanced. I disagree. I found it to be medium body and better balanced than most AIPAs.

Highly drinkable.

my buddy had one too and he was impressed how much better it is on tap than in the bottle. I've never had the bottle, so that is a second hand comment.

This is a very nice IPA. I would drink at again and look forward to my next one.

tyanow, Jul 24, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

1L bottle with waxed swing top (very annoying to open). Pours a clear golden amber with a big creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet lemoney fruits and grassy hops with a bit of alcohol.

The flavor is some sweet caramel malt and fruits initially, followed by a big grassy, piney hop bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and syrupy with smooth carbonation.

Overall, a decent beer. It has a lot of nice components but doesn't seem to mesh well to me.

Beaver13, Jun 14, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

20th anniversary pours copper/amber with 2 fingers of whipped cream colored head (makes me think old timey milkshakes!), been a long time since I've seen such a nice looking head! Head holds up & delivers great lacing too

S: Grapefruit & other citrus hops, breadyness, plus caramel as this warms

T: Grapefruit hops, some caramel, toffee & bit of booze of front. Grapefruitty & piney hops, a bit of breadyness, & cakeyness as this warms. Finishes a bit warm, with caramel, pine & grapefruit, & great hops snap

MF: Chewy, low carbonation, & very good balance

Drinks pretty good, a tad too hoppy for me, but I could happily suck down a few pints of this before snoozing or moving on to something dark, a DIPA that delivers taste on the low side of the ABV spectrum, yeah!!! I feel lucky when i see any or get any of the limited releases from this brewery

russpowell, Jul 15, 2008

jaydoc, Nov 23, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Big 1ltr waxed Flip-Top picked up today at the COOP for $13... immediately put into the fridge until after the long-haul work day. Gave one little glass to Brenda and poured one for myself... we both enjoyed it .... I finished mine and poured a "regular" Sweetgrass into my same New Belgium snifter... enjoyed that... now I am back for the review of the Daddy.

The abundance and the stickiness of the head amazes me on this one... Alot of the Cellar Reserve brews I've had from GT haven't had the best carbonation levels.. this is perfect... picture perfect.. 2" head atop a polished amber brew... very nice sticky lacing adds well to the allure.

Hop aroma is balanced toward grapefruit and various citrus... but there is definitely some spiciness and an herbal quality that comes about toward the end. Malts play second fiddle.. but are more than present.. quite a bit of caramel and toasty notes.

Flavor is more malt dominant out of the gate than the aroma .. significant sweetness .. mirrored toasty caramel ... blends perfectly into the expected citrus dominant hoppiness .. not as bitter as I had hoped (not a bad thing) .. really very balanced and tastes very fresh right now... finish is a long lingering grapefruity with some yeasty fruitiness to add to the complexity... Spicy hoppiness plays well throughout.. I would be amazed if a significant portion of the flavoring hops weren't German Noble's or Saaz.. be amazed!

Body is on the heavy side.. but definitely not out of line.. You can tell the brewer did not want their 20th Anniversary conquest to be an 11% blitz of hop bitterness and out of whack citrus overtones... Instead, it is very very balanced and it is apparent alot of care/thought went into this one. The spiciness really hits a high note as it warms.. adds a ton of complexity to an already otherwise very interesting take on an American DIPA.

This beer toes the line on balance... I could see how a slightly lesser body could sway my opinions.. but right now .. I am going to go finish my bottle and chill out a bit.

Edit: I can't wait for the other coming brews... the Mountainberry sounds very interesting.. and a "Double Bitch Creek" should be out of this world... 2 x of Au Naturale has me dreaming more about the label than the brew.. but I will cross that fantasy when I come to it. :-)

JohnGalt1, May 07, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Acquired via trade from vasdef42, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 1-Liter, wax-sealed, swing-top bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright orange/amber color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of grassy hops, citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts with sweet flavors of caramel and citrus, then a very strong floral hops bitterness comes in and takes dominance. There's a hearty malt character that helps create an excellent balance. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style, this one is remarkable similar to the 2-year-old Double IPA that I had from Grand Teton a few months ago. The hops bite was a little strong but that probably because I drank this beer fresher than the other. Overall, it's a very good beer that is worth drinking for a long time.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 17, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to bitterbill for including this one in a trade!

1 liter flip-top wax covered bottle. The wax was CRAZY! Jcwattsrugger (with whom I shared it)and I had quite the difficult time opening this one. Looks nice, I suppose, but really a nuisance to open.

Pours copper with a few very tiny bits of sediment (maybe caused by all of the movement in the struggle to open it?) floating around. A huge (again - from the shaking in opening?)creamy off-white head descends to a thin cover.

The smell is resiny, citric with a caramelish background.

The resiny citric hops are there, but stay even (and at times a bit behind) a sweet, slightly carmelized, maltiness. As it warms, overripe/bruised pears and apples come through, as does a sugary, grainy sweetness. The alcohol is reasonably well-covered, though it's already on the modest side - for a DIPA - of 7.5%. Mellow, with a soft fruity, sweetish finish.

Medium-bodied with a slickish, but creamy, body.

A milder, bit "different", easy-drinking DIPA.

jwc215, Jun 14, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a tulip. 4 finger, off-white, frothy head. Hazy, copper colored body. Good lacing. Head with a bit on the excessive side.

Smell was malty and slight caramel. Mild citrus, mild resiny aroma and some good orangey notes.

Taste was actually better than I expected for a 2yr old bottle. Mellow sweetness, medium maltiness and good citrusy, orangey flavors. Hints of piney/resiny hops. Bitterness was very mellow.

Mouthfeel was medium body, medium carbonation and a semi silky and mildly sticky finish.

Drinkability was good. No signs of ABV. Well blended.

Overally I was impressed. Flavors or aroma weren't over the top, but again, the bottle was over 2 years old with a bottling date of 3/12/10. Beer was stored in the fridge the entire time. Very drinkable DIPA. Negatives were: 1) the head. excessive to say the least. takes an extremely careful pour to not end up with half a glass of head. 2) the wax top. swing top wax tops do not go together. pain in the ass.

riored4v, May 22, 2010

brandoman63, Nov 29, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

The beer pours a hazy dark gold color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice bitter hop scent along with a bisquity malt aroma. It's rich with pale, bisquit, crystal malts. The taste is decent. It has a huge malt flavor that really lays a nice foundation. The hops are piney and almost too intense. I'm not a huge fan of the hop profile. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a pretty good beer, but it's pretty low on my list of top DIPA's. All in all, not bad.

WesWes, Apr 22, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

07/29/08- Purchased at the Old Faithfull Lodge in Yellowstone National Park.

Presentation- Swingtop one liter bottle with a wax coating and a small note with details about the beer and a bottling date (March 2008). Poured into my DUvel tulip.

Appearance- Dark brown colored pour with very murky, but small sedimented yeast. About a 1/2 inch head upon pour, which quickly fades. Leaves behind minor lacing.

Smell- Very sweet nose with deep caramel malt and sugary and fruity orange scented hops.

Taste- Seems much more malty than hoppy. Really haven't tasted a beer like this before. Super malted with a chewy caramel base and added pine and fruited hops added as what seems as a second though. Flavorful, but really malty.

Mouthfeel- Chewy, a bit grainy or maybe gritty is the word I am looking for. Sweet mouthcoating with a medium to lower carbonation level. Seems rather dry as well leaving a slight parched feeling.

Drinkability- An experience. Wouldn't really want to drink a full liter by myself. Seems more of a winter weather beer. Someone with a sweet tooth would really dig this beer.

GClarkage, Aug 01, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

From Notes:

A: Poured a crystal clear copper color with a nice tan head. Very dense. 4.5

S: Very hoppy, citrus, lime peel, malty sweetness at the end. After it warms it gets a weird potato smell, I'm not sure what that is but it is very odd. 4.0

T: Very balanced double IPA. Malty and caramel up front hops are very present and flavorful, the bitterness is very balanced and lingers quite a while. 4.5

M: Full and malty, quite thick, slight warming. 4.5

D: Relatively low alcohol and smooth malty profile make this a very drinkable DIPA, very very balanced, the bottle it came in was enough, but a little more would have been nice too.

pokesbeerdude, Aug 06, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

First time reviewing a beer on this great site. I do not have the beer vocabulary to do this beer justice but i will try.

I was in the Taj Mahal restaurant (India Food, fitting for an IPA) in Boise. It was recommended to me by a member of staff there, I was not disappointed :). I am from England originally now entering my fourth year in the USA , so finding great beer with great food was a wonderful find.

Now heres my by vocabulary leaves me, I can describe the tastes as many do on this site, but i do love my beer.

I am in love the the IPA, and this one is the best ive had so far this one screams hops, its alive with hops. Super smell from the moment the wax sealed top is chipped open ( took the waiter a little while to get the bottle open). The head sticks around like it came from a cask, maybe thats something to do with the bottle conditioning.

It was full of flavor and went so well with the India food I wish I had the words to describe it correctly (Some one needs to teach me hour to describe a beer the way so many of you can on here)

Missing my beers in England, you chaps over here in the USA know what you are doing.

If you enjoy an IPA you should give this one a try. I have drank many of the 'normal' sweetgrass ipa from Grand Teton, those are a good IPA, this one they make is leaps and bound better seem almost completely different in taste.

I cannot recomment this beer enough, please try it if you get the chance.

kraven, Jun 07, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

This one is a bitch to open. Flip top coated in wax. Emergency rooms visions danced in my head.

A - Between Deep copper/brass look and Pekoe Tea. Somewhat murky. Off white, viscous, thick head, lots of cling, leaves slow to disk.

S - Big time sweet malt hits me first. Citrus is secondary.

T - Malt again dominant, citrus and a little pine behind.

M - Pretty creamy and thick, good balance and carb.

D - I like a malty IPA. Pretty drinkable to me.

srandycarter, Feb 27, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

750ml
Swing Top/Green Wax

Pours a very nice hazy dark golden orange color, very nice carbonation (loud POP), very nice two-finger thick creamy off-white head, lots of nice thick creamy sticky lacing left behind. The nose is more on the sweet malty side, with some hops, grapefruit/citrus, slight pines. The taste is sweet, malty, hoppy, bitter/chewy, with some nice citrus/pine notes. Medium body, this is another very tasty brew from GT, a more malty DIPA, but still very tasty. Very drinkable, highly recommended, Thanks Bill.

Wasatch, Aug 10, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Thank you fairy beermother.

Oooooh. Idaho. That's a new state. And my what a pretty bottle we have here. But sheesh. Waxing a flip top? That makes for interesting times in getting that off.

Pours a slightly fogged, almost perfectly hued amber. If I knew my hops better, I'd be able to pinpoint the nose as it seems distinctly floral and citrus. Flavor is meaty and earthy hops. Thick is the key word here. The only detracting thing is the bright tangy edge on the backend. Feel has a sticky thick character to it on the liquid and the carbonation is low. Not too shabby really.

RblWthACoz, Aug 01, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

1L wax sealed swag top bottle, date of 4/30/08 on the little booklet around the neck, served in a standard pint glass.

L - slow pour yielded a clear copper brew with a light tan head that left a bunch of lacing.

S - sweet malt and citrus hop aroma.

T - hop bittness is quickly over taken with sweet malt flavors finishing slightly bitter.

F - medium body with good carbonation.

D - decent drinkability.

Final Note to GTBC: the wax on a swag top is a pain in the ass... lose it!

JoeyBeerBelly, Jul 02, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Liter Flip-Top

Bottled 3/12/08

Thanks to BitterBill sending me another of the Grand Teton special releases that I can't get enough of, thanks again Bill! Sweetgrass 20th Anniversary IIPA pours a polished copper with some yeasties floating here and there. The body glows orange when backlit. Three fingers worth of head makes me slow the pour down and it eventually settles to a finger of steadfast foam. This beer leaves great lacing as it settles with drink lines and big chunkiness.

The hops in this beer may have faded over time but they still show some promising grapefruit and orange oil notes. There's a big caramel malty backbone with what I think is crystal malts. This smells like a fairly balanced IIPA with the orange and grapefruit eventually coming across as candied peeled versions. Overall this smells like candy and drags me right in.

This is a pretty big, malty IIPA and like I said earlier I'm sure part of it has to blame on it being brewed in March. With that said this is still an impressive brew. The Hop to malt ratio isn't my favorite in IIPAs but the balance works so well in this brew. The candied orange and grapefruit peel play the biggest role in the hop department while crystal and caramel play the biggest role in the maltiness. This is a very good IIPA for being as balanced as it is.

The body is moderate as it hits the tongue but mid palate it grows some density that leaves some stick on the back of the throat. The hops that seem so balanced catch up to me on the tongue with a growing bitterness. Although the bitterness never gets to the point of tongue stripping it does become noticeable.

This is about as sessionable as an IIPA can be. The alcohol isn't as high as the usual suspects but the drinkability is much better with the great balance.

I've been thoroughly impressed with all of Grand Teton's offerings, all sampled thanks to BitterBill. They make some great beers and Sweetgrass IIPA is no different. Thanks again Bill!

joe1510, Nov 08, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to Chris for a sample of this stuff, he brought up a good point when pouring this for me, the label has nice pictures of hops on it, but this is probably one of the maltiest DIPAs there is, poured into a tulip glass

A-Medium orange with some amber highlights, 3/4 inch foamy white head that did not last long, not much retention or lacing, looked syrupy
S-Lots of malt, orange, lemon juice, grassy accents, random sweetness, perfume, bread and biscuit, pastry, and sugar
T-Starts off with sweet malt, no hops until the finish really, and even then they are sweet and more reliant on fruit character, gets noticeably sweeter over time, lots of underlying maltiness once it warms, needed some more dry accents to make this more balanced, tasted more like a non-fresh India pale ale than anything else, still not a bad flavor
M-Needs more carbonation, full bodied for its style, still on the medium side, sweet, malty, somewhat dry, and citrusy mouthfeel, taste lingers
D-Could not drink more than a pint of this stuff, too sweet and heavy on the stomach for me, pretty smooth and not hoppy or crisp, alcohol could be hidden better

Never had a beer from Grand Teton in Idaho but this was a nice introduction, cool looking bottle I might add with green wax and a swing top, would not go out of my way to have this again but it was cool to try, worth checking out

Floydster, Sep 14, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Happy Anniversary Grand Teton!

This pours from 1QT1.8oz waxed swing top bottle(Mar 12 2008) a clear amber gold with a good 2 finger head of foam. Great head retention and a lot of lacing.

The smell is kind of hoppy with a light nose of floral hops, grapefruit and some grass and just a wee bit of malt but the malt is tough to find. Overall, the nose is lighter than what I would expect from the style.

The taste starts with some citrus...grapefruit...and a bready malt flavour. I get some grass from the second sip on along with some spice and more fruity notes and the malty sweetness comes out of the shadows and adds *some balance*. The finish is *really* dry and crisp. The mouthfeel is pretty thick here and at times is almost syrupy.

Hmm..very unusual tasting DIPA in that I think the hops are making for a *very* spicy brew and the malt, though it becomes more noticeable as the brew warms, just can't keep up with the spice. The little card that comes with the bottle says "XX Sweetgrass is all that twice over, with double the malt and hops-an astonishing 3 pounds per barrel(I'm assuming they are talking about the hops) in the kettle and another pound per barrel of dry hops."

I was excited when I heard about the 20th Anniversary Cellar Reserves coming out and this is the first. As it is, I think it is on the harsh side ie rough around the edges due to the spice factor but it *is* tasty and fairly drinkable. The 7.5%abv XXSG carries is there as I get some warming after the swallow. I going to get some more and stick them in my "cellar" to see if some aging will smooth things out.

Edit: +8 months later and I decided to give this one another go. What a difference! The alcohol now seems to be more hidden and the spiciness I noted in my original review has calmed down and is replaced by a bucket load of caramel malt flavour. Yum. Still hoppy but the malt is now keeping up and actually surpasses it at times during the session. Much much better. Glad to see this one ages very nicely!

Bitterbill, May 02, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

drank from a 1 quart 1.8 fl oz green waxed swingtop bottle dated 4/30/2008 poured into my duvel tulip glass, poured a cloudy orange color with a three finger head rising and slowley disapering. the smell is grassey hops only, the taste starts out as a semi sour huge malt flavor, the middle is citresey hops that change in to grassey hops and a bitter that takes hold and wont let go, the end is strong bitter and big alchoal notes, the second pour and third pour were much beter, the first sip turned me off but as i finished the first glass i found myself slaming this beer because it was so tasty.

orcasteve, Dec 05, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 1L bottle (bottled April, 2008) to a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark orange with a thick off-white head that sticks around for awhile.

Smell: Not as hoppy as I was expecting. Grassy hops and malt.

Taste: Caramel malts and grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with good carbonation and syrupy.

Drinkability: Not a bad IPA. Was expecting more hops, but a DIPA, but still good and well balanced.

nsmartell, Nov 29, 2008

drummermattie02, Feb 18, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Autumn color with a full head of good density. Fairly nice nose, with minty and spruce-like hop notes. Flavor is really nice, not the typical flavor profile of a Double IPA, but its a great tasting brew. Very malty with caramel, toffee and fruit notes that balance nicely with grapefruit-like, super fruity hops. Nice balance, with lingering hoppiness on the finish. Very surprised by this beer. It's actually quite tasty.

Crosling, Jul 04, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

First off, yes it is a pain in the ass to open this bottle, but it was well worth the work I put in scraping the wax off with a butter knife.

A- Poured a pretty clear but deep amber in my pint glass. Thick head with large bubbles. The head is holding quite nicely.

S- Hops, but not overpowering. You can tell that this is not going to taste as bitter as some Double IPA's. I'm pretty excited to give this one a try.

T- Jackpot! Deep malts balance the hops. These are my favorite beers. It reminds me of Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA, but perhaps a little more mellow on the hops end. Very smooth. The head is still holding up. Nice lacing down my pint glass.

M- There is not a lot of bite from the carbonation. Again. pretty smooth.

D- I'm on my second glass. :-)

KUpolo, Aug 10, 2008
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
XX Sweetgrass Double India Pale Ale from Grand Teton Brewing Co.