Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA) - Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA)Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA)

good

Grand Teton Brewing Co. visit their website
Idaho, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-27-2002

Sweetgrass APA is a Pale Ale of distinction! 2009 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal winner in the American Pale Ale category, this crisp and fragrant beer is hopped and dry-hopped with plenty of Amarillos and Cascades. Try it with any bold, flavorful food to complement its citrusy, resinous spiciness.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz. bottle. Bottled on date reads 08/27/2012 so this beer is fairly fresh at only 4 months chillin in the bottle.

A - Burnt sienna orange color, looking like a lot of tasty IPA's that I have had in the past. It pours about a one finger head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing. Nice ton of sediment floating around in the glass. This beer is definitely unfiltered.

S - Smells a lot like one of those tasty IPA's that I've had in the past too. The cascade hops are definitely coming in strong. My expectations are growing for this one by the second.

T - Mmmm. Nice and hoppy. Lemongrass flavor. Definitely a lot of citrus / pine flavor to be had here. This beer is extremely tasty. Almost a slight green apple taste thrown in there somewhere.

M - Nice hoppy, resinous mouthfeel. This beer is definitely a winner.

Overall, a nice beer from Grand Teton Brewery. The only other beer I've tried from them was their 5 O'Clock Shadow, which I don't remember as being particularly enticing, but maybe it now demands another tasting. Definitely a beer to try if you haven't had it before, I know I was very pleasantly surprised! I will certainly try this again.

Grand Teton Brewing Sweetgrass American Pale Ale ---4/5.

Grand Teton Sweetgrass IPA pours a finger of lumpy foam
over a clear orange brew. I see no carbonation present, and
the nose is fruity, piney, and herbal. The flavor is fresh with
slightly sweet lighter malts op front balanced by a surprisingly
restrained grapefruity hop off the back. This beer, an IPA which
was part of a Grand Teton mix pack, is actually less hoppy than
the ESB from the same pack, and actually, to my mind, a lot more
balanced and drinkable. The mouthfeel has the light crispness of
a lot of west coast IPA's I've bad, but without the over the top hop
so many in that style variation have. What they tried for here was
lightness, delicacy, and flavor and this is one of the better IPAs I've
tried. Try using it in place of a white wine.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden copper color with a foamy head. Good head retention with nice lacing.

A: Aroma of citrus and fresh grain. Bit of pine and sweetness in the background.

T: Initial taste of grapefruit with a bit of sweetness and fresh grain. Nice bitterness and a clean finish.

F: Fairly medium body. Crisp and refreshing.

O: Nice Pale Ale. goes down pretty easy, good for a few. Nothing fancy just a solid APA.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

This is one of the first IPA I've ever had. I didn't plan on having one for quite some time, to let my palate develop, but when my friend unexpectedly picked up a variety 12 pack from Grand Teton, I had to try it. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't surprised.

To me, this beer wasn't overly bitter. All I hear about IPA's is that they are as bitter as it gets. I've had Pale Ale's and ESB's but never a true IPA. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I did finish it (as I will the other 3 in the box). It definitely was bitter, but not as bitter as I expected.

The thing is though, after having multiple ESB's and PA's this week, I can see myself enjoying this in the future. It wasn't bad, but not something I can honestly say I enjoy at this point in my development.
---
Update 2/14/09

It's amazing how my palate has changed in the last couple months. I am looking into this beer again. Not sure if it was the 2 months that it sat in my make-shift cellar (box in closet), but it really tasted good this time. The bitterness had gone down substantially. The taste is actually enjoyable now. I'll update my ratings accordingly.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Picked up a single from Total Wine and More back at the beginning of January for $1.49.

Beer poured a golden orange with a huge billowy head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose is similar to a wheat beer as there is some lemony sweetness present. Taste is sweet up front, light malt backbone, hop finish is citrusy with a nice touch of mango. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and decently carbonated. Drinkability is good. It is definitely the mango finish that makes this beer for me. Nice sippin brew, definitely will not overwhelm your palate at 58 ibu.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Sweetgrass IPA, Grand Teton Brewing Co. "Jackson Hole's Original"

My first Idaho beer, I do believe.

Hazy. pale orange color, good 1/4 " of bright white foam above.

Fresh aroma, mild citrus zest, mellow, but discernible hops.

On the tongue...faintly hoppy dishwater flavor,...light bodied, faintly flavored, disappears from the palate in a minute or less...
Persistent hops on the tongue, but a bit too mild to call it an IPA...not much more than an APA.
Nothing terrible about it, just a bit blase.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

App - orange hue with white head, foaminess that doesn't stick around long

S - piney, but not overly so, with citrus notes and herbal/earthy hoppy notes to accompany

T/MF - this one is tasting of hops but not heavily of the citrus/piney variety. The mouthfeel is smooth and not-overly carbonated and slick on the tongue.

O - overall, a good, solid red offering, i enjoyed the overlap of the IPA characteristics, I enjoyed it!

Cheers!

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 9//26/11

Bottled on 6/28/11

Hazy, burnt tangerine color with pale, golden hues at the stem. The head starts off just shy of a finger's worth and thins from there. Thin layer of retention with a clumpy ring and good lace.

Tart lemon juice notes are interjected into aromas of orange pith and grass. The lemon aspect is definitely grabbing. Biscuit malts and a hint of toasty bread linger underneath.

The flavors are comparably bright, though the citrus notes are not at the fore. Instead, there is a lofty grassy presence and some floral notions. Tangy citric tones move in from the edges. Toasted bread rounds it out. Maybe a scratch or two of pine in there. It definitely has a nice hop kick to it.

The feel is somewhere between light to medium body, probably leaning more toward the former. Carbonation is ample but never seems to over shoot the feel of the beer. Very dry, especially on the finish. Prickly resin with a delicate dusting of graininess.

This critter ain't too bad at all, especially considering it's three months old. It fits comfortably into IPA-lite territory. I'd like to get a super fresh bottle to see how the hops crackle. Worth a shot.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a semi-cloudy golden orange with a nice eggshell head. Top half of the glass has some really nice rings of lacing.

Now I get the name....'cuz it smells like sweet grass! There's a sweet fruity aroma and some grassy and citrus hops. Smells good, but I think it's just a little too sweet smelling for an IPA... but that's just my opinion.

Flavor is fairly sweet as well, but the hops have a little more presence. Citrus and grass hops with just touch of the sweet fruit flavor (almost like a melon). I get some toasted grain near the end, too. Not bad.

Medium body with lighter carbonation. A little creamy. Slight dryness and bitterness in the aftertaste. Enjoyable brew.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer pours a beautiful deep amber with a two and a half finger white head. It leaves elaborate lacing all the way down the glass. The smell is very subtle, maybe some pine. Mouthfeel is about average, neither thick nor thin. The taste is a little to the hops side, but not so much as to be a hop'splosion in the mouth. Aftertaste is hoppy but again not overly strong. All in all a good beer that I would recommend.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Pour: Hazy golden orange color with two and a half fingers of frothy white head that retained very well and left decent lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet and malty, notes of honey, and some floral and citrus hops.

Taste: Almost identical to the smell. Pale sweet malts up front with some lying undertones of honey, and a little bit bready in the middle. Finishes up with a moderately intense bite of citrus and bitter hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with fairly high carbonation.

Drinkability: Goes down very smooth, and is somewhat quaffable.

Final Notes: Seems to be more of an English IPA, which I like. I quite enjoyed this beer and will be buying it again. Great with spicy food.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours an almost clear yellow orange with windstorm of bubbles rising and swirling from below. Thin but persistant white head.
Nice toasty and caramel hint malt. Slight earthy hint.
Malty caramel tones. Nice hops, but not to pronounced. Slightly toasty for a nice easy to drink balance.
Medium bodied with a nice carbonation level. Palate washes clean after each sip.
Well done. Far from a palate thrasher, the safe hop level and toasty balance makes it a real pleasant brew.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with pretty small white head. Brew has quite a bit of tiny sediments particles floating around in it. Head becomes a layer of bubbles on top and leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Smell is pretty fruity, sweet, some citrus aromas. Hints of grass and pine. Nothing over the top and a nice balance of malts.

T- Lots of fruitiness with orange and grapefruit from the hops. A bit of pine too. The malts are present with some light caramel, and graininess.

M- Medium in body and carbonation seemed to be right on.

O- I enjoyed this one. Pretty solid Pale Ale.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle(room temp) a medium gold with a good sized head of foam that dissipated slowly but stayed through out the session.

The smell has hoppy and earthy notes.

The taste is a good balance of malt and hops..some sweetness from the malt and the hops give a grassy and lemony flavour but it's not bitter.
I've had this many times before and it's quite tasty.

Bottom line: A solid IPA that is kind of a "mild" example of the style and certainly at least worth trying and could be found to be revisiting. ;^) I recommend it.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

What a nice little surprise from Grand Teton. (which is, incidentally, my favorite mountain in the world)

Felonious Monk's description of the color as "butterscotch" cant be topperd for accuracy. The beer can either be extremely clear, or extremely hazy, depending on how you pour it. I like the haze.

The aroma is piney, with citrus. There's kind of a sweet candy element to it for me, although I can't put my olfactory finger squarely upon the propoer adjective. Sweet on the nose, with a tinge of metallic, all in all.

the taste is good, if somewhat straightforward. I could have used a touch more bitterness while the beer was in my mouth. on the finish, the bitterness comes out, but on the opening/middle it was a little bit unremarkable. Grapefruit abounds, as does pine resin, The malt character starts out strong, but as it sits in the glass, the hops start to take over. Fairly well balanced.

The mouthfeel is what it is, and the drinkability is good. there are other IPAs that I would reach for before this, but if it was the only thing on the menu, I wouldn't be disappointed.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Produced a two finger, off white head, and left decent lacing.

The aroma wasn't very strong, but was nice. It smells of pine, biscuit, and honey.

The taste was very good. not overly bitter, and the honey, and body of the beer makes it nicely balanced.

Mikey likes.

Review #200

Finally got taste a beer from Idaho... thanks Wasatch!

Pours a light gold color, a bit of haze, and a nice looking white head, with some lacing.

Smells a bit bitter with some grapefruit aromas.

Beer tastes a lot like grapefruit. Wow... interesting... Beer is crisp, dry, and finishes with that really familiar bitter grapefruit flavor. It's not overpowering, or bad, it's just... different. There is a tinge of malt sweetness noticed at the end of a taste.

Mouthfeel is good, pretty well rounded, tastes linger well too.

This beer scores for being interesting. I enjoyed it, and would like to have it again and share it with others to see what they think. It's light, but flavorful. Good effort from Grand Teton.

12 oz bottle poured into my unibroue snifter

Poured a orange/gold hazy color with a nice large white head that left a ton of sticky lacing on teh glass and a stayed with a huge foamy ring and foam floaties for the entire glass which i did not finish quickly. very impressive looking!

Smell was all about the floral hops. Behind those i could smell some malt sweetness but the main attraction was the floral and citrus hops.

The taste followed the nose. It was a bunch of floral/citrus hops on the initial taste. this was surprisingly reasonably balanced midpalate with some sweetness from the malts, but then on the finish there is an oily hop flower finish that leaves a definite bitterness behind in the finish.

The mouthfeel on this one was nice. plenty of carbonation to keep it light feeling like an IPA should be, yet oily notes on the finish make sure you have a good aftertaste but all the hoppiness also dries the palate. strange to say dry, oily, and clean finish, but that is what i got... nice.

I could drink a few of these pretty easy, and ipa is not really my preferred style although i seem to find myself enjoying them more and more. Next year when i go to Yellowstone i will seek out a few more of these to bring home.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy gold, almost looks like a hefe. A good finger of off-white head, good retention and excellent cling. Smells of citrus with a hint of earthy pine notes. Tastes similar, citrus up front that fades into a nice earthy finish. Slight resin character and feel to it, and a thicker mouthfeel. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Overall this is a very good APA, it really grows on me, keeps tasting better as I keep drinking it. I will definitely keep this one on my list to look for in the future and have again, I do recommend trying it for any fans of pale ale, IPA, or similar. Well done beer.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber color with a modest head that leaves a nice lacing pattern

Smell: Subtle, but distinct, grapefruit character

Taste: A bit biscuity up front, but then there is a burst of citrus, followed by a more resinous aspect; after the swallow, the sweetgrass effect takes over, providing a nice foil to the bitter flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A refreshing a well-balanced APA; not earth shattering or extreme, but very drinkable

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

A- pours a cloudy golden orange, almost looks like it has pulp in it. Lace hangs on the side of the glass.

S-citrus fruit, grapefruit, mild hops, grassy

T- grapefruit/citrus, has some sweetness mixed with the hop bitterness. Grassy overtones. Why do I keep comparing beer to the taste of grass ? Its not like eating grass is a common occurrence for me. Beer is.

M - Strangely smooth for the hop bite the beer has. It finishes crisper, with decent carbonation. But it feels slightly flat initially.

O- decent APA , heavy on the hops, refreshing but not extraordinary.

Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA) from Grand Teton Brewing Co.