Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA) - Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA)Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA)

good

Grand Teton Brewing Co. visit their website
Idaho, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Sweetgrass APA is a Pale Ale of distinction! 2009 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal winner in the American Pale Ale category, this crisp and fragrant beer is hopped and dry-hopped with plenty of Amarillos and Cascades. Try it with any bold, flavorful food to complement its citrusy, resinous spiciness.

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Zorro

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Slightly chill hazed amber colored ale with a tall white head that doesn't last.

Good hop aroma light malt that I can't really ID, slightly caramel scented. Bitter citrus aroma, mostly Bergamot orange. No real pine in the scent, but plenty of eucalyptus oil.

Starts out sweet and bitter, mostly an herbal bitter bite in the aftertaste. Pretty much stays Bergamot orange bitterness with a little woodiness.

Mouthfeel is good.

Pretty drinkable, especially for a low alcohol IPA. Has the taste you need, but not really outstanding, just good.

05-16-2009 02:12:23 | More by Zorro
minterro

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

bottle poured into a glass

A: apple cider color, not clear, a bit coudy with a very weak head to begin with. After a minute just a little foam around the sides of the glass and none in the middle.

S: very sweet purfumy smell as the name implies. hints of citrus and a bit of a more contemporary bitter smell.

T: much more rich and hoppy then it smells. pretty nice and bitter after taste. Pretty stright foward IPA taste. Pretty happy about the combination of sweet smell and shockly bitter taste.

M: a bit more carbonated then i like, but not bad. I thought it looked thicker and less carbonated then it feels, thin-ish body.

D: Not too bad of a beer. Not sure how much it costs, but i would say give it a shot. Drink the first half plain and then drink the rest with a steak, and it coupled will with the steak. Overall an above average beer.

04-20-2009 23:48:01 | More by minterro
Spikester

2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Cloudy amber with a fat one finger of off white head. Fair amount of lacing. Floral hop and earthy aroma. Taste is rich hop bitterness, some leather, and a good amount of malts giving support. No bottle date and I suspect this is a bit old as the aroma wasn't much. A middle of the road IPA. Will rerate if I can find a fresh example.

04-18-2009 04:28:19 | More by Spikester
JamesP123

3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a 12oz. Bottle.

A. Pours a hazy light orange color. With a small head that sticks around the rim of the glass. Minimal lacing.

S. First smell is Sweet followed by a little citrus and bitterness from the hops. Not much carbination

T. Pretty light for an IPA, feels a lot more carbinated across my tongue that i expected form the look. Th ehop profile feels light fo rthe style, more like a pale ale. But has the bitterness of an IPA.

M. Light bodied, can feel a lot of carbinatiopn across thr tongue. Not resiny or thick at all.

D. Overall very drinkable. It's like a light IPA/bitter pale ale. Not my favorite, but pretty decent overall

04-10-2009 02:15:15 | More by JamesP123
Beernoisseur

Utah

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

What a nice little surprise from Grand Teton. (which is, incidentally, my favorite mountain in the world)

Felonious Monk's description of the color as "butterscotch" cant be topperd for accuracy. The beer can either be extremely clear, or extremely hazy, depending on how you pour it. I like the haze.

The aroma is piney, with citrus. There's kind of a sweet candy element to it for me, although I can't put my olfactory finger squarely upon the propoer adjective. Sweet on the nose, with a tinge of metallic, all in all.

the taste is good, if somewhat straightforward. I could have used a touch more bitterness while the beer was in my mouth. on the finish, the bitterness comes out, but on the opening/middle it was a little bit unremarkable. Grapefruit abounds, as does pine resin, The malt character starts out strong, but as it sits in the glass, the hops start to take over. Fairly well balanced.

The mouthfeel is what it is, and the drinkability is good. there are other IPAs that I would reach for before this, but if it was the only thing on the menu, I wouldn't be disappointed.

03-06-2009 02:28:35 | More by Beernoisseur
akorsak

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

A 12 oz bottle from Liquid Solutions.

A: The IPA is a hazy amber color, dulled slightly. The ale isn't full of sediment, just clouded. A thick rocky head resulted from the pour and has left large patches around the glass.

S: The nose is very hoppy with an oily, resin profile. Citrus hops are the norm. Pepper matches the grapefruit and caramel malts.

T: The breadiness of the malts is evident up front, grainy with caramel and toast flavors. The initial hop bitterness is right on the tail of the malts with a grapefruit profile. A green vegetal flavor follows the hops, leaving a mild bitterness. The hops leave a nice finish.

M: The oiliness of the hops is pretty strong, overtaking a significant aspect of the flavor. An accessible IPA.

D: A decent IPA that could use a little more assertiveness in the hop profile.

03-01-2009 22:09:54 | More by akorsak
colts9016

Idaho

Poured into a pint glass at 46 degrees

Appearance: Amber color with a copper hue to the beer. There was a half finger head that is bubbly and foamy. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is brilliant.

Nose: A nice grapefruit with some piney notes. There is a subtle malty sweetness in the background.

Taste: The beer is more malty than hoppy. There is grapefruit and pine in the taste, but the malt is a little more powerful.

Overall: This beer miss the mark to being a great IPA, it is just an okay one. I was hoping for a bit more bitterness in the beer. The mouth feel is somewhat astringent but a bit more malty. The is slightly bitter. I was hoping for more with this IPA.

02-07-2009 05:27:17 | More by colts9016
magictrokini

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured hazy bright gold with a huge frothy white head. Sticky lacing. Perfumey aroma of grapefruit, grass, and mineral water. Smooth, effervescent mouthfeel. Crisp, fresh hop taste. Mellow pink grapefruit, peach, mango flavors, with very little resin. Sweeter malt that is more bready than caramel. I could drink this all day. Very, very nice IPA

01-28-2009 17:18:26 | More by magictrokini
mattster

3.48/5  rDev -7%

Opened 12 fl oz bottle (bottled 10/07/08), poured into Nonic glass.

Very little head development, but forms a layer of lace across top of glass and lace clings to sides. Brew is a translucent amber color with bubbles/particles in suspension (cool).

Smells like pineapple, malts and slight green herb smell. Taste is hoppy but not overly so. Some citrus/pineyness on palate, but not a strong hop as I am use to with American IPA. Beer is good BUT I noticed something that I have never tasted in beer before. Call me strange but I taste a slight "Alka-Seltzer" finish on the brew. It only last a second and isn't unpleasant, but It is definitely there. I was excited about drinking a beer from one of my favorite mountain ranges, but this didn't live up to my expectations. Granted, I've probably had 10 score beers that were not this good.

All in all, not bad but not outstanding.

01-08-2009 11:41:02 | More by mattster
Mistofminn

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

This is one of the first IPA I've ever had. I didn't plan on having one for quite some time, to let my palate develop, but when my friend unexpectedly picked up a variety 12 pack from Grand Teton, I had to try it. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't surprised.

To me, this beer wasn't overly bitter. All I hear about IPA's is that they are as bitter as it gets. I've had Pale Ale's and ESB's but never a true IPA. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I did finish it (as I will the other 3 in the box). It definitely was bitter, but not as bitter as I expected.

The thing is though, after having multiple ESB's and PA's this week, I can see myself enjoying this in the future. It wasn't bad, but not something I can honestly say I enjoy at this point in my development.
---
Update 2/14/09

It's amazing how my palate has changed in the last couple months. I am looking into this beer again. Not sure if it was the 2 months that it sat in my make-shift cellar (box in closet), but it really tasted good this time. The bitterness had gone down substantially. The taste is actually enjoyable now. I'll update my ratings accordingly.

12-30-2008 09:20:40 | More by Mistofminn
Bighuge

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Hazy orange. Bubbly eggshell white froth caps it off. Lace is fairly substantial. Aroma is more piney than citrusy. Also a little malt sweetness. Piney hop presence translates onto the palate almost making the hop quality of this beer one dimensional. But it's not. I also get a little orange citrus flavor and some grassiness too. Malt backing balances the beer out nicely. Pretty good IPA.

12-27-2008 06:13:48 | More by Bighuge
khiasmus

South Carolina

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours with almost perfect clarity, a golden color with a fluffy finger of head. Head drops to a single layer quickly and leaves just a bit of patchy lacing on the glass.

Aroma is of caramel malt and American hops... not too much to say here. Hops are mainly grassy and slightly resiny in character and there is a honey-biscuit undertone to the malt profile.

Flavor is fairly well balanced between hop flavor, honey-ish malting and some biscuity, cracker-like notes in the malt profile. There is a slightly metallic note, seemingly from the hops, and some slightly earthy bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is decent, medium bodied, faintly tongue-dancing carbonation, and a slight bitter astringency in the finish.

This is not a bad beer, just average. Not one to seek out, but worthy of drinking. If you find yourself in a situation where it's available, it will do, but won't wow you.

12-22-2008 00:03:31 | More by khiasmus
ZAP

2.1/5  rDev -43.9%

Granted I just had a Union Jack IPA so maybe I am spoiled but I can sum this beer up quickly.

This is a nice drinkable APA...If you like dumbed down APA's...thin...a decent maltiness but really lacks any appreciable hop impressions...the hops that are noticable are more floral...lacks any strong bitterness or juicy hop flavors..

For an IPA this is a let down but it isn't a horrible beer...still even as an APA I would drink many before this.

My scores make it seem like this is a horrible beer. I am scoring compared to the best in this style...I could drink this beer anytime and be ok with it, but would choose about 100 other IPA's before this one....thus the scores..

I don't know...maybe the Union Jack I just had set too high of a bar....

10-16-2008 04:44:03 | More by ZAP
zeff80

Missouri

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Poured out an hazy, orange amber color with two-finger, off white head that left rings of lace.

S - It smelled of pine, floral notes and citrus. Also, a subtle caramel aroma.

T - It tasted of pine with a bitter hoppiness. Nice smooth roasted malt taste.

M - It was fairly dry and crisp. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good IPA. Great pine aroma and flavors.

10-11-2008 12:18:13 | More by zeff80
aforbes10

Iowa

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Bought a sixer of this as i drove through Wyoming. Pours a nice clear golden brown. Short off-white head. Looks about right. Smells fresh and citrusy, with lemons and grass clippings prominent, on top of a sweet malt odor. Taste is very nice. Fresh, bitter bite of lemon and grapefruit, not overly aggressive, a very nice complement to the sweet malt backbone. Medium bodied, refreshing, easy drinking but memorable.

10-07-2008 04:07:14 | More by aforbes10
homebrewhawk

Kansas

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle served in a shaker pint. Poured a fairly clear dark gold with a thin white head. Piney hop aroma. Decent malt base with some caramel malt sweetness. A slight sourness. Good hop bite, but not super bitter. Medium bodied. Solid, easy drinking IPA.

08-31-2008 20:12:55 | More by homebrewhawk
RustyDiamond

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

'Bottled on 06/03/08' etched on side of bottle. Poured into my SA glass. Nice golden color with a near-white bubbly frothy head. Aromas of pink grapefruit, cantaloupe and wild honey. Very nice contrast of wild honey sweet malt taste with sharp crisp hops. Pink grapefruit with a hint of pine on the hop flavor. Quite exotic with the malt-hop battle. Very crisp and quite enjoyable.

08-21-2008 23:01:33 | More by RustyDiamond
Goliath

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a slightly hazed, amber color with a one inch slightly yellowed head. Decent retention.

Aroma is ok. A light hoppiness with traces of citrus and grass. Touch of malt in there too.

Taste is ok. A slight hoppiness with a low bitterness. A bit of citrus, kind of grassy, and then a bunch of pale malt on the finish. Meh.

Mouthfeel is kind of thin and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. This IPA is sessionable, but boring.

08-08-2008 03:16:43 | More by Goliath
SurlyDuff

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

A golden and seemingly sticky pour into my sam adams curvy glass. Good 1 inch of tight foamy head that falls away pretty quickly.

Aroma is mild. Light malt and light floral herbal hops.

The hop presense is a bit chalky, reminding me of a sweetheart candy or smartie. Hops arent huge, just nice and flavorful. Some green tea and bitter grapefruit rind. A well balanced and well crafter ipa. Despite its light demeanor, its got a full enough mouthfeel/body to satisfy. As a whole, its fairly pedestrian though. Whatever neat little sweetness it gives off is just not enough to warrant a sixer.

08-02-2008 22:26:31 | More by SurlyDuff
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My full review was erased from my computer by a combination of lack of internet, boneheadedness/laziness, and an untimely program crash.

Short version: attractive look, right on style. The smell is dank, heavily dosed on hops and caramel malt - like a double IPA almost in power. The rest is much more pedestrian, a little thin and lacking overall. I would definitely keep an eye out for a local tap.

07-08-2008 04:35:19 | More by BretSikkink
shadow1961

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Grand Teton Sweetgrass IPA pours a finger of lumpy foam
over a clear orange brew. I see no carbonation present, and
the nose is fruity, piney, and herbal. The flavor is fresh with
slightly sweet lighter malts op front balanced by a surprisingly
restrained grapefruity hop off the back. This beer, an IPA which
was part of a Grand Teton mix pack, is actually less hoppy than
the ESB from the same pack, and actually, to my mind, a lot more
balanced and drinkable. The mouthfeel has the light crispness of
a lot of west coast IPA's I've bad, but without the over the top hop
so many in that style variation have. What they tried for here was
lightness, delicacy, and flavor and this is one of the better IPAs I've
tried. Try using it in place of a white wine.

07-07-2008 01:38:20 | More by shadow1961
sinistermadman

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a perfectly clear copper color with a very active carbonation. Impressive head that retains well and leaves a nice lacing. Smell is subdued with a mild grassy hop aroma. Taste is slightly grassy with a faint juicy hop flavor and citric bitterness. Medium body with a creamy mouthfeel. An average, ho-hum IPA.

06-21-2008 02:03:41 | More by sinistermadman
woemad

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

From notes:

Pitcher consumed at The Viking in Spokane a number of weeks ago. First time I'd seen any Grand Teton beers in a bar around here. I think I had a bottle of this a long time ago, but I'm not certain.

This was lighter colored than I had expected it to be, a gold, almost straw color.Pretty clear, and with a fizzy head that dropped somewhat fast. As it didn't look too far removed from some macro beers I've had, I didn't think this one's looks boded well. Fortunately, that's where my dissatisfaction ended.

The nose on this was pretty hoppy, as one would expect. Bitter, citrusy-like-grapefruit notes hit my schnozz, along with some barely less prominent spicy, peppery scents. Malts were there just to draw a very slight contrast to the hops, and were otherwise hiding out. As a fan of hoppy beers, I had no prpblem with this.

The taste was much like the smell of this beer. This is an assertively hoppy, west coast style IPA. Like in the nose, the citrusy aspects won out over the spiciness, but it was a pretty close race. Very dry finish.

Medium bodied, mouthfeel was oily with hop resin and was about right for the style.

After getting off work, this was a fine beer to close out the evening on. Should I encounter it on-tap again, I would show no fear of it.

06-08-2008 00:03:09 | More by woemad
MisterClean

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle from bev mo

A - Thin gold in color, white foamy head, which dissipates moderately. No legs though.

S - Citrus, grass, malt, cloves, and yellow grapefruit.

T - Lots of grapefruit, slight citrus, with a nice malt finish.

M - Lightly carbonated, very smooth, well-balanced beer. However, there is a slight sourness from the yellow grapefruit.

D - Pretty good, but people who don't like grapefruit will not enjoy this beer.

06-01-2008 03:06:18 | More by MisterClean
sml505

Colorado

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle

A - Clear golden, light amber with white, diminishing head.

S - Light malt, light hops (piney, fruity). Not very stong.

T - Sweet, doughy malts. Lightly sweet and acidic. Medium body.

O/ M - Okay IPA. Watery texture for style. Light hops - closer to APA.

05-19-2008 06:29:59 | More by sml505
Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA) from Grand Teton Brewing Co.