Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA) - Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA)Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA)

good

Grand Teton Brewing Co. visit their website
Idaho, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

Sweetgrass APA is a Pale Ale of distinction! 2009 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal winner in the American Pale Ale category, this crisp and fragrant beer is hopped and dry-hopped with plenty of Amarillos and Cascades. Try it with any bold, flavorful food to complement its citrusy, resinous spiciness.

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-27-2002)
2.1/5  rDev -43.7%

Granted I just had a Union Jack IPA so maybe I am spoiled but I can sum this beer up quickly.

This is a nice drinkable APA...If you like dumbed down APA's...thin...a decent maltiness but really lacks any appreciable hop impressions...the hops that are noticable are more floral...lacks any strong bitterness or juicy hop flavors..

For an IPA this is a let down but it isn't a horrible beer...still even as an APA I would drink many before this.

My scores make it seem like this is a horrible beer. I am scoring compared to the best in this style...I could drink this beer anytime and be ok with it, but would choose about 100 other IPA's before this one....thus the scores..

I don't know...maybe the Union Jack I just had set too high of a bar....

ZAP, Oct 16, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +8%

A - Poured out an hazy, orange amber color with two-finger, off white head that left rings of lace.

S - It smelled of pine, floral notes and citrus. Also, a subtle caramel aroma.

T - It tasted of pine with a bitter hoppiness. Nice smooth roasted malt taste.

M - It was fairly dry and crisp. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good IPA. Great pine aroma and flavors.

zeff80, Oct 11, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Bought a sixer of this as i drove through Wyoming. Pours a nice clear golden brown. Short off-white head. Looks about right. Smells fresh and citrusy, with lemons and grass clippings prominent, on top of a sweet malt odor. Taste is very nice. Fresh, bitter bite of lemon and grapefruit, not overly aggressive, a very nice complement to the sweet malt backbone. Medium bodied, refreshing, easy drinking but memorable.

aforbes10, Oct 07, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle served in a shaker pint. Poured a fairly clear dark gold with a thin white head. Piney hop aroma. Decent malt base with some caramel malt sweetness. A slight sourness. Good hop bite, but not super bitter. Medium bodied. Solid, easy drinking IPA.

homebrewhawk, Aug 31, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

'Bottled on 06/03/08' etched on side of bottle. Poured into my SA glass. Nice golden color with a near-white bubbly frothy head. Aromas of pink grapefruit, cantaloupe and wild honey. Very nice contrast of wild honey sweet malt taste with sharp crisp hops. Pink grapefruit with a hint of pine on the hop flavor. Quite exotic with the malt-hop battle. Very crisp and quite enjoyable.

RustyDiamond, Aug 22, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a slightly hazed, amber color with a one inch slightly yellowed head. Decent retention.

Aroma is ok. A light hoppiness with traces of citrus and grass. Touch of malt in there too.

Taste is ok. A slight hoppiness with a low bitterness. A bit of citrus, kind of grassy, and then a bunch of pale malt on the finish. Meh.

Mouthfeel is kind of thin and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. This IPA is sessionable, but boring.

Goliath, Aug 08, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

A golden and seemingly sticky pour into my sam adams curvy glass. Good 1 inch of tight foamy head that falls away pretty quickly.

Aroma is mild. Light malt and light floral herbal hops.

The hop presense is a bit chalky, reminding me of a sweetheart candy or smartie. Hops arent huge, just nice and flavorful. Some green tea and bitter grapefruit rind. A well balanced and well crafter ipa. Despite its light demeanor, its got a full enough mouthfeel/body to satisfy. As a whole, its fairly pedestrian though. Whatever neat little sweetness it gives off is just not enough to warrant a sixer.

SurlyDuff, Aug 02, 2008
3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My full review was erased from my computer by a combination of lack of internet, boneheadedness/laziness, and an untimely program crash.

Short version: attractive look, right on style. The smell is dank, heavily dosed on hops and caramel malt - like a double IPA almost in power. The rest is much more pedestrian, a little thin and lacking overall. I would definitely keep an eye out for a local tap.

BretSikkink, Jul 08, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Grand Teton Sweetgrass IPA pours a finger of lumpy foam
over a clear orange brew. I see no carbonation present, and
the nose is fruity, piney, and herbal. The flavor is fresh with
slightly sweet lighter malts op front balanced by a surprisingly
restrained grapefruity hop off the back. This beer, an IPA which
was part of a Grand Teton mix pack, is actually less hoppy than
the ESB from the same pack, and actually, to my mind, a lot more
balanced and drinkable. The mouthfeel has the light crispness of
a lot of west coast IPA's I've bad, but without the over the top hop
so many in that style variation have. What they tried for here was
lightness, delicacy, and flavor and this is one of the better IPAs I've
tried. Try using it in place of a white wine.

shadow1961, Jul 07, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -8%

Pours a perfectly clear copper color with a very active carbonation. Impressive head that retains well and leaves a nice lacing. Smell is subdued with a mild grassy hop aroma. Taste is slightly grassy with a faint juicy hop flavor and citric bitterness. Medium body with a creamy mouthfeel. An average, ho-hum IPA.

sinistermadman, Jun 21, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

From notes:

Pitcher consumed at The Viking in Spokane a number of weeks ago. First time I'd seen any Grand Teton beers in a bar around here. I think I had a bottle of this a long time ago, but I'm not certain.

This was lighter colored than I had expected it to be, a gold, almost straw color.Pretty clear, and with a fizzy head that dropped somewhat fast. As it didn't look too far removed from some macro beers I've had, I didn't think this one's looks boded well. Fortunately, that's where my dissatisfaction ended.

The nose on this was pretty hoppy, as one would expect. Bitter, citrusy-like-grapefruit notes hit my schnozz, along with some barely less prominent spicy, peppery scents. Malts were there just to draw a very slight contrast to the hops, and were otherwise hiding out. As a fan of hoppy beers, I had no prpblem with this.

The taste was much like the smell of this beer. This is an assertively hoppy, west coast style IPA. Like in the nose, the citrusy aspects won out over the spiciness, but it was a pretty close race. Very dry finish.

Medium bodied, mouthfeel was oily with hop resin and was about right for the style.

After getting off work, this was a fine beer to close out the evening on. Should I encounter it on-tap again, I would show no fear of it.

woemad, Jun 08, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle from bev mo

A - Thin gold in color, white foamy head, which dissipates moderately. No legs though.

S - Citrus, grass, malt, cloves, and yellow grapefruit.

T - Lots of grapefruit, slight citrus, with a nice malt finish.

M - Lightly carbonated, very smooth, well-balanced beer. However, there is a slight sourness from the yellow grapefruit.

D - Pretty good, but people who don't like grapefruit will not enjoy this beer.

MisterClean, Jun 01, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle

A - Clear golden, light amber with white, diminishing head.

S - Light malt, light hops (piney, fruity). Not very stong.

T - Sweet, doughy malts. Lightly sweet and acidic. Medium body.

O/ M - Okay IPA. Watery texture for style. Light hops - closer to APA.

sml505, May 19, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz Bottle

Another beer sent by ruspoweel in a recent trade. You've been keeping me drinking lately Russ. Sweetgrass pours a mildly hazy deep pilsner-like golden. Two fingers worth of clean white sticky head formed on the pour and left solid lacing on its way down, all at once patchy in places and sheet like in others. Although the head falls quickly the patching left behind is nice. A quickly rising carbonation bubble is spotted every now and then but you have to look close.

The nose starts off with an approachable biscuity maltiness underneath a faint but noticeable pine needle hoppiness that seems like it's faded a bit over time. The pine is met with a tea leaf like hoppiness. I can't help but think maybe this beer has been sitting around a little while but I can't be sure since I just received it a week ago. This beer smells good and is inviting me to take that first sip.

Flavor follows the aroma nicely. While this isn't an IPA in the style I usually enjoy I find this one enjoyable. The same hoppiness is there as in the nose although a bit more pronounced. Biscuity malts combine with a bit of cake like sweetness. The mild pine and tea leaf like hoppiness comes through just enough to lead the way. Sweetgrass is a solid IPA.

Mouthfeel seems to be moderate up front but as it works its way through gets gradually lighter. The carbonation is light and the body is on the lighter side of medium.

This is a fairly easy beer to put away. I'm on the fence for drinkability between 3.5 and 4 but I'll give a 4 because the flavor and smell were in between there too.

This is another solid beer from Grand Teton. Not one of my favorite IPAs but it would have to be fantastic to reach that level. This is just an all around solid, easy drinking IPA.

joe1510, May 17, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Sweetgrass IPA, Grand Teton Brewing Co. "Jackson Hole's Original"

My first Idaho beer, I do believe.

Hazy. pale orange color, good 1/4 " of bright white foam above.

Fresh aroma, mild citrus zest, mellow, but discernible hops.

On the tongue...faintly hoppy dishwater flavor,...light bodied, faintly flavored, disappears from the palate in a minute or less...
Persistent hops on the tongue, but a bit too mild to call it an IPA...not much more than an APA.
Nothing terrible about it, just a bit blase.

feloniousmonk, Apr 27, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

I didn't realize that I've already reviewed Sweetgrass when I opened this one. Anway...always a favorite. Previous review continued;) I was hoping to see these guys at the beerfest in Idaho falls, Idaho. I don't see them on the latest list, but who knows...they may show up, right? BTW, the 14th Annual Spring Beer & Wine Fest in Idaho falls, a.k.a "I.F., Idaho," is a great time and will surely please the party animal AND the taste buds of the snootiest beer lovers. I'm sure that the 15th will be decent too;) I bought a few Sweetgrass IPA's by Grand Teton Brewing Company at the Pocatello Co-op and poured it into a traditional pint glass. It poured very light, slightly darker than a typical hefe, but without the head. I was quite shocked as I've had many of these in the past. This was a bitter IPA that tasted like it was carrying more alcohol than the claimed 6ish percent. A slightly caramel yellow brew that was a little flat with some cedar and pine crispiness to it. Good drink, but I'll have to give it another look when I know it's a fresh one. All in all I know that I can confidently say that this one is worth chasing down. It's a nice smooth drink.

I get this particular brew regularly, so I had to do the responsible thing and bump the grade just a little bit. I gave an additional .5 to both taste and drinkability because this pour is definitely not the twin of the bottle that I rated a few weeks ago. This Sweetgrass poured with a nice head; one finger, although only a pinky worth, even stuck around long enough to leave modorate lacing all the way down the glass. I'm not getting so much alcohol flavor, but more green to it. Nice cloudy beer. It's a good drink!

I'm not sure if the 2 brews that I based my review on were different ages or handled differently or if Teton Brewing isn't delivering the same quality consistently. Only time will tell I suppose. I'm paying attention now;)

By the way...this second bottle was purchased at the wine and beer shop in Blackfoot, Idaho 83221. They are in their infancy as a business, so I'm sure that they'll catch on to some of the other good beers out there sooner or later;)

TroyS, Apr 26, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into my unibroue snifter

Poured a orange/gold hazy color with a nice large white head that left a ton of sticky lacing on teh glass and a stayed with a huge foamy ring and foam floaties for the entire glass which i did not finish quickly. very impressive looking!

Smell was all about the floral hops. Behind those i could smell some malt sweetness but the main attraction was the floral and citrus hops.

The taste followed the nose. It was a bunch of floral/citrus hops on the initial taste. this was surprisingly reasonably balanced midpalate with some sweetness from the malts, but then on the finish there is an oily hop flower finish that leaves a definite bitterness behind in the finish.

The mouthfeel on this one was nice. plenty of carbonation to keep it light feeling like an IPA should be, yet oily notes on the finish make sure you have a good aftertaste but all the hoppiness also dries the palate. strange to say dry, oily, and clean finish, but that is what i got... nice.

I could drink a few of these pretty easy, and ipa is not really my preferred style although i seem to find myself enjoying them more and more. Next year when i go to Yellowstone i will seek out a few more of these to bring home.

tayner, Apr 17, 2008

12oz bottle from russpowell via trade. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" eggshell head above the slightly cloudy golden amber brew. Head lasts okay, with ample slow-falling lace. Aroma is citrusy and moderately sweet. Taste finds the same, sweet to start, with lemon in the middle, and a balanced close. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is easy. Enjoyable brew.

ppoitras, Apr 02, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

a: This one is a slightly cloudy straw yellow color. It pours with a thin white head.

s: Sweet brown sugar and some piney hops.

t: Big malt backbone here, this one is pretty sweet. It has a slightly tart pine hop finish.

m: Sticky and decently carbonated.

d: Thanks (yet again!) to JohnGalt1 for this tasty extra.

DIM, Feb 15, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a decent looking dark golden colour that has a slight haze to it. Head is mid-sized to smallish and is fairly quick to dissolve to a thin lace. A fair amount of residue is left on the glass after each sip.

The aroma has a slight touch of a buttery scent to it, but it is masked or blended well with floral hops, a bit of grass and perhaps a touch of citrus as well. There's a bit of dirtiness here as well.

Flavour is more of the same, with butter once again popping in and out but not distracting in any way. There is more of a sweetness here than anticipated with a good bit of caramel malt coming through that wasn't noticed in the aroma. It blends nicely with the hop flavours, which again are mostly floral and grassy. There's a bit of toasted grain here as well, mostly toward the finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and, while I've seen some call this one over or heavily carbonated, I found it to be perhaps a slight touch undercarbonated. Nothing to scoff at but just a bit flatter than expected at times.

I enjoyed this one. It's more of a tried and true standard American IPA, but those are becoming the exception versus the norm these days with the Imperial stuff being all the rage. This was a nice first sampling from the folks at Grand Teton and I'd certainly like to a) try some of their other stuff and b) enjoy some more of this one. Recommended.

SixpointJMH, Feb 10, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -28.2%

Since this isn't my first bottle from this 6er I know to pour into a very large glass as the carbonation is quite excessive. Aroma seemed to have a touch on phenol immediately, but none that I noted later. A relatively balanced aroma, especially for style. Sweet slightly grassy hops, but definitely a a notable malt presence that is sweet as well. Aroma isn't potent, but it is pleasing in its softness. The staleness (not quite to cardboard, but close) noted in the flavor first seems to appear in time in the aroma
Somewhat cloudy gold with lots of bubbles rising. Head was exceedingly excessive, as anticipated (at least 20oz glass that held only 1/2 of the original pour).
A variety of hop presentations in the drink. Several hop flavors and variability in the bitterness too. Even at 6 months old there seems to be a staleness to the flavor that's off-putting as it leads to a bitterness that carries it's own off flavors. There is a nice sweetness up front, which helps, some.
In an odd way it seems flat on the tongue yet filling in the stomach from carbonation.
Disappointing.
Bottled 7/3/07.
Thanks Linda.

garymuchow, Jan 12, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +4%

Pours an almost clear yellow orange with windstorm of bubbles rising and swirling from below. Thin but persistant white head.
Nice toasty and caramel hint malt. Slight earthy hint.
Malty caramel tones. Nice hops, but not to pronounced. Slightly toasty for a nice easy to drink balance.
Medium bodied with a nice carbonation level. Palate washes clean after each sip.
Well done. Far from a palate thrasher, the safe hop level and toasty balance makes it a real pleasant brew.

BeerRun13, Jan 05, 2008

This is an IPA right? Pours a hazy deep yellow with a solid head. The aroma is of bready malts and hay with a faint wiff of citrus in the background. Way, way in the background. Tastes pretty much the way it smells, bready and haylike. The body is thin and watery. This beer does'nt even qualify as an American pale let alone and American IPA, or an English one for that matter. Maybe the beer is old or was abused, but it just showed up in my hood recently, so I don't think so. I am not saying this is a terrible beer, because it's not. What I am getting at is that it has no business calling itself an IPA, IPA Lite maybe, but not IPA.

mjryan, Dec 25, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz purchased at the Boise Coop for about $1.50.... enjoyed from a shaker pint.
Still unwinding... no tunes yet.

Big lemon merangue looking head... lite gold/new penny copper with substantial hop haze. Thick lacing that lasts for the entire glass.

Smell is different than most American IPA's ... there is alot of big citrus .. even some grapefruit rind... but mixed in, a hoppy spiciness that is quite unexpected, but not a bad thing in my mind. No real malt to exactly identify... maybe some toasty bready notes... but just barely balanced .... barely.

Citrus hops right out of the gate ... more citrus peel/pith... a little on the bitter side.... lingering bitterness.. finishes with a little lemon zest. Again, across the board, this is a hop delivery device; I think it could use a little more malt and body.

Despite my above negatives, this is one of my goto IPA's when it is hot outside. Tonight, I am enjoying it and a bunch of other West Coast IPA's. This brew deserves respect... so do many others brewed in Idaho.

JohnGalt1, Dec 03, 2007
3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 12 oz Bottle. Strong nose of herbal hops with a hint of citrus that left good lacing. Pours cloudy light amber with a medium white head. Flavor is good for and IPA, and is a little more subdued than many. Floral Hops work well on the tongue. Nice bitter finish. Decent IPA.

rkuhnel, Nov 22, 2007
Sweetgrass American Pale Ale (APA) from Grand Teton Brewing Co.