Trout Hop Black IPA - Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Trout Hop Black IPATrout Hop Black IPA

Grand Teton Brewing Co. visit their website
Idaho, United States

American Black Ale |  8.50% ABV

Trout Hop Black IPA is a spicy and bold American-Style India Black Ale, with notes of fresh pine needles and spruce tips. Brewed with Idaho 2-Row Brewers’ Malt and German specialty malts, this ale has a deep rich color and roasted finish but does not have the thick and rich body that often accompanies malty brews. Kettle hopped and dry hopped with Pacific Northwest hops, the resulting bitterness is bold and pronounced, the aroma piney and zesty. The full body and dry finish create a refreshing autumn ale, perfect for any crisp afternoon or cool evening.

(Beer added by: Jason on 08-28-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trout Hop Black IPA Alström Bros
Chucker17

07-03-2014 05:05:13 | More by GClarkage
Dan_McNeely

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

A- If you put this beer in a line up of dark lagers I wouldn't be able to tell it's an IPA. Nice in finger head.

S- Roasted malts smell, a full aroma compliments the light hops well. I particularly appreciate the hops with roast smell.

T- The taste is light, not as hoppy as I would hope. I like the spicy kick

M- The spice is what makes this a pretty above okay beer for me. The firey kick is something different that I do enjoy about this beer.

The bottled date is 12/12/13- I'm not sure if it lost flavor, I'll have to look into that. I don't know anyone that raves over Black IPAs, but I would keep it on hand as a novelty for somthing different. I love the label, very intriguing. I couldn't resist the Grand Teton Brewing Company, it's such a beautiful area.

06-27-2014 00:36:41 | More by Dan_McNeely

South Dakota

05-06-2014 00:39:10 | More by AnthemOfTheSun
larryarms847

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Dark brown, opaque in appearance that developed a beautiful two finger head when poured from the bottle.

Very sweet smells of chocolate, dark fruits, and an almost non-existent booze scent considering its ABV.

Very woody taste, sweetness is almost immediately lost by a somewhat unfortunate bitterness.

Mouthfeel is like a mouthfull of wood chips.

Overall I was kind of let down after this beer had been hyped up so much as the unpleasant bitter finish is disappointing. I love bitter beers, but this isn't cutting it.

04-21-2014 22:15:41 | More by larryarms847

04-03-2014 01:39:30 | More by Cramerican
beergoot

Colorado

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Near black body with a thick, foamy, light tan head. Pine and black pepper aroma with touches of roasted grain and toffee and mint. Mint-chocolate and zesty pine and spruce-like flavors; bold hop bitterness. Medium bodied; smooth, velvety, dry.

A black IPA with plenty of hop punch and a surprisingly rich, smooth feel. The malt and hop flavors meld well together. There is plenty of depth and balance to this beer and should prove a good choice for IPA lovers and dark ale aficionados.

04-01-2014 23:59:32 | More by beergoot

North Dakota

03-25-2014 06:41:00 | More by vheissu15
LovingCup

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%

My second offering from Grand Teton Brewing Co. The first was the imperial stout. I didn't write a review but it did leave quite an impression and I would not hesitate to purchase again. So with that in mind, I thought I would give "Trout Hop" a shot. Although the concept of a "black ipa" is appealing to me, I can't think of one in particular that I've sampled which fully delivered. Three come to mind. 1554 by New Belgium: with my refined taste is enjoyable yet underwhelming, and a black ale. Libertine Black Ale by Brewdog: again a black ale so idk if it fits the moniker. I don't remember anything about this one in particular(which is why I am trying to review more beers.) And Finally something by Sierra Nevada which was so-so and not something I would revisit from the staple brewery. Which brings me to my review for "Trout Hop," a black ipa from Grand Teton out of Idaho.

Appearance: Dark brown to black with a ruby/purple-ish hue when held up under the light. A small sand/tan colored head. Lots of thick lacing.

Smell: I indeed smell piney, floral hops but not in the traditional way. They are hidden beneath a veil of cocoa and caramel malt. Slightly roasted, slightly astringent. My nose is slightly confused, but ultimately concluded that this smells 75% stout and 25% ipa. Maybe the appearance is playing into this? I do suppose you could conclude by calling this "complex."

Taste: The taste follows the nose. At 100+ IBU's I was a little hesitant, but after trying this I don't find it overly bitter in the least bit. Whatever bitterness is present I find pleasant. It is fairly sweet actually. I can definitely detect the ipa side of things. But I find it difficult to detect the nuances of it. Not to the fault of the beer but rather I am not used to tasting hops and malts mingling with each other in such a way. If I were to try and describe it I would be using other reviewers words rather than what I actually taste. I am still trying to figure it out. All I can say is to me it tastes 75% stout/porter and 25% ipa. The ipa part is present and distinct from a black ale. It is balanced. It is complex. It is delicious.

Mouthfeel: It hits up front with a smooth, creamy, velvety mouthfeel. The back end doesn't quite deliver as much: as it tastes slightly watery and astringent/bitter. It quickly dissipates rather quickly in your mouth. While this invites one to take another sip, I would have preferred the front end flavor to linger around a bit more. Overall I would say it is medium-ish bodied with low-ish carbonation. Smooth. Goes down easy peazy.

Overall: Damn tasty! The first black ipa in memory that really wows me. This stuff is 8.5% and perfectly hides the alcohol. While not really sessionable per say this is extremely drinkable. I love stouts, porters, and ipa's. This managed to blend the styles in a luxurious fashion. A new staple for the style. I only got a single but will most definitely be picking up more. First the "Black Cauldron" imperial stout, and now the "Trout Hop" black ipa: Grand Teton Brewing Co. has substantiated itself. Highly Recommended!

03-19-2014 05:48:05 | More by LovingCup

02-22-2014 05:09:37 | More by SadMachine
sonofliberty2

South Carolina

02-17-2014 14:22:03 | More by sonofliberty2
Trout Hop Black IPA from Grand Teton Brewing Co.