Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse - Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Snarling Badger Berliner WeisseSnarling Badger Berliner Weisse

good

Grand Teton Brewing Co. visit their website
Idaho, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  7.50% ABV

In Berliner Weisse we think we’ve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism that’s responsible for yogurt’s tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, we’ve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case we’ve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-11-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse Alström Bros
JSchock7

06-17-2012 23:28:05 | More by Whiskeydeez
avalon07

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellowish color and a hazy consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that didn't last particularly long. No real lacing.

S: An extremely sweet, fruity and inviting aroma. Also had traces yeast as well.

T: Tasted of fruit (bananas, mostly), spices (cloves), malt, and some yeast. At first, the flavor seemed almost too harsh, but it gradually grew on me. Very sweet and easy to drink.

M: An average amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Not your typical Berliner Weissbier flavor, but definitely well made and drinkable.

05-02-2012 12:12:17 | More by avalon07
Curtis

Utah

4.3/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My wife picked this one up for me when she couldn't find my favorite Grand Teton beer "Tail Waggin' Double White". I have to admit, the name snarling badger threw me a little and I wasn't sure what to expect, but like all of their beer, I knew it would be good. It was and I have bought several since.

While this is labled "Berliner Weisse", it actually has a lot of the Belgian Wit style attributes. Much less of a citrus kick to it, but still a little without being overwhelming. It starts smooth, with a good mouthfeel, without the belgian bite to it. Nice head (pour slow or it will go over the top easily). The hops are really light as expected. Any more would ruin the balance of this well crafted beer. Color is light golden and a smooth hazy with no chunks. the finish is the best part. This goes down smooth and its a good thing it comes in 22 oz bottles or I could see a 6-pack dissapearing very quickly. The alcohol kick is pretty good at 7.5% (without the taste or smell of rocket fuel) and six of these would sneak up really quick, but make for a fun night. I really like the "not so filling" part of this style. You can drink it and enjoy it easily without being overwhelmed. I had mine with a chicken pasta. An excellant pairing.

My only complaint is distribution. I live in Utah and have only found this in one store in Wyoming (enough said). Last trip up, I bought all they had, but after a great beer conversation with the clerk, felt compelled to leave one for the guy as we had similar tastes in beer and he was curious to try it. The price was actually really good ( I think 6 dollars or so) so I had no problem cleaning out the store. I havn't made a trip yet up to their store/brewry, but it is on the agenda. Overall, excellant!

08-11-2012 04:26:10 | More by Curtis

05-19-2012 04:55:28 | More by Doodler
brbrocc

05-28-2012 02:16:20 | More by brbrocc
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

06-17-2012 17:49:31 | More by sliverX

Stevie_Janowski

09-03-2012 01:00:48 | More by Stevie_Janowski
Halcyondays

4.2/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Beachwood I,

A: Pours a dark goldenrod to light amber with a medium white head, some lace.

S: Lemon, grassy hops, some yeast character.

T: Not traditonal for a Berliner, though I do see its roots. Lemon, with some acidity, but this gets overtaken with a lot of pit fruit, almost Belgian in style, yeasty.

M: Medium-bodied, mild acidity, crisp, easy drinking.

O: This is one of those beers that really has to be reviewed on its own merits and not to style. As a Berliner Weisse it's not that great, there are shades of the style, but no one that would have this for the first time blind would think this is a Berliner, more like an acidic saison or BPA. Nevertheless, it tastes pretty darn good. Well structured, good flavour and nose, this is a real nice beer. Take it for that and enjoy it.

07-14-2012 23:56:07 | More by Halcyondays
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.18/5  rDev +20.8%

12oz sampler bottle.

It pours a very hazy/cloudy orange with very little foam, just a ring around the glass.

The smell is of bananas, cloves, and sweet malt. Other spices and fruitiness are there but I can't put my finger on them.

Big bananas and cloves up front in the taste, with some lemon zest bring light tart notes and some very sweet malty notes. Overall, the beer is more sweet than tart, which would be a less likeable road for the style for me, but GT manages to pull it off nicely.

The 7.5% is definitely noticeable but GT brewed the beer this way with cellaring in mind so I'll take that into account.

Medium bodied, fairly light carbonation..a pretty good mouthfeel though I'd consider it the weakest link for Snarling Badger.

Bottom line: This gets more and more tasty as the beer warms from cellar temp up. I will buy some bottles when they show up, for sure.

PS: I wish Grand Teton made a lower abv and more true to style version of this. I think they'd do a bang up job.

05-06-2012 15:17:30 | More by Bitterbill
Aldenby

Washington

4.15/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours hazey straw yellow with a nice white head that stays around awhile, although not much lacing.

Smells great, it truly has the grapefruitty, sweet, banana complex aromas I remember when I was in country.

Taste equally as great as it smells, it does not fail to be what a great Berliner Weisse beer should taste like, although, it is a little hot from the boosted alc. As stated in another review, it is a cellar reserve and could go into storage easily. Strong banana and cloves with a tart lemon spike, what fun.

Nice medium mouthfeel as would be exspected.

Overall I like this beer. I might let a bottle sit around for a while just to see what it could be when aged for awhile. I will definetly buy a couple more.

05-09-2012 02:07:04 | More by Aldenby
Dope

4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

Bottle appears to be dated 3/26/12.

A: A cloudy pale orange pour with a good sized fizzy white head. Fades at a medium pace. Decent lacing.

S: Smells very refreshing. Lots of wheat, lemon and banana. Hint of orange.

T: A little bit of tart lemon up front. Turns sweeter and then the big wheaty base kicks in. A little banana throughout but mostly in the finish. Hint of alcohol but it's not hot. Gets a little more tart as it warms but not enough to overwhelm it.

M: Light, good carbonation. Definitely doesn't feel like a 7.5%. Crisp.

O: My first attempt at a berliner weisse. Very interesting, not as sour as I was expecting. Just a bit tart but it adds to the refreshing lemony wheat qualities of this beer. Very crisp and drinkable.

05-18-2012 03:25:10 | More by Dope
BeerisOK

Oklahoma

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up this beer earlier this year on a friend's recommendation. I finally found a hot day to pour this for my wife and I. It had been chilled for several hours before serving.

Appearance was a nice golden color with small head and lots of effervescence.

The aromas reminded me of citrus and floral notes.

Taste was wonderful. Very carbonated with the sweet citrus up front. Finish was good with little heat in the finish.

Mellowed out after letting it sit. Carbonation settled down as well. Very drinkable and wish I had bought more. Wonderful beer to quench your thirst on a hot day, especially in Oklahoma.

07-07-2013 19:09:41 | More by BeerisOK
tfidler

07-15-2012 01:28:15 | More by tfidler
Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse from Grand Teton Brewing Co.