Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse - Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Snarling Badger Berliner WeisseSnarling Badger Berliner Weisse

good

good

Grand Teton Brewing Co. visit their website
Idaho, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  7.50% ABV

In Berliner Weisse we think we’ve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism that’s responsible for yogurt’s tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, we’ve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case we’ve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-11-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +36.5%

Super cloudy and sweet, lemon sourness, very good

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellowish color and a hazy consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that didn't last particularly long. No real lacing.

S: An extremely sweet, fruity and inviting aroma. Also had traces yeast as well.

T: Tasted of fruit (bananas, mostly), spices (cloves), malt, and some yeast. At first, the flavor seemed almost too harsh, but it gradually grew on me. Very sweet and easy to drink.

M: An average amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Not your typical Berliner Weissbier flavor, but definitely well made and drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My wife picked this one up for me when she couldn't find my favorite Grand Teton beer "Tail Waggin' Double White". I have to admit, the name snarling badger threw me a little and I wasn't sure what to expect, but like all of their beer, I knew it would be good. It was and I have bought several since.

While this is labled "Berliner Weisse", it actually has a lot of the Belgian Wit style attributes. Much less of a citrus kick to it, but still a little without being overwhelming. It starts smooth, with a good mouthfeel, without the belgian bite to it. Nice head (pour slow or it will go over the top easily). The hops are really light as expected. Any more would ruin the balance of this well crafted beer. Color is light golden and a smooth hazy with no chunks. the finish is the best part. This goes down smooth and its a good thing it comes in 22 oz bottles or I could see a 6-pack dissapearing very quickly. The alcohol kick is pretty good at 7.5% (without the taste or smell of rocket fuel) and six of these would sneak up really quick, but make for a fun night. I really like the "not so filling" part of this style. You can drink it and enjoy it easily without being overwhelmed. I had mine with a chicken pasta. An excellant pairing.

My only complaint is distribution. I live in Utah and have only found this in one store in Wyoming (enough said). Last trip up, I bought all they had, but after a great beer conversation with the clerk, felt compelled to leave one for the guy as we had similar tastes in beer and he was curious to try it. The price was actually really good ( I think 6 dollars or so) so I had no problem cleaning out the store. I havn't made a trip yet up to their store/brewry, but it is on the agenda. Overall, excellant!

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Beachwood I,

A: Pours a dark goldenrod to light amber with a medium white head, some lace.

S: Lemon, grassy hops, some yeast character.

T: Not traditonal for a Berliner, though I do see its roots. Lemon, with some acidity, but this gets overtaken with a lot of pit fruit, almost Belgian in style, yeasty.

M: Medium-bodied, mild acidity, crisp, easy drinking.

O: This is one of those beers that really has to be reviewed on its own merits and not to style. As a Berliner Weisse it's not that great, there are shades of the style, but no one that would have this for the first time blind would think this is a Berliner, more like an acidic saison or BPA. Nevertheless, it tastes pretty darn good. Well structured, good flavour and nose, this is a real nice beer. Take it for that and enjoy it.

4.18/5  rDev +20.1%

12oz sampler bottle.

It pours a very hazy/cloudy orange with very little foam, just a ring around the glass.

The smell is of bananas, cloves, and sweet malt. Other spices and fruitiness are there but I can't put my finger on them.

Big bananas and cloves up front in the taste, with some lemon zest bring light tart notes and some very sweet malty notes. Overall, the beer is more sweet than tart, which would be a less likeable road for the style for me, but GT manages to pull it off nicely.

The 7.5% is definitely noticeable but GT brewed the beer this way with cellaring in mind so I'll take that into account.

Medium bodied, fairly light carbonation..a pretty good mouthfeel though I'd consider it the weakest link for Snarling Badger.

Bottom line: This gets more and more tasty as the beer warms from cellar temp up. I will buy some bottles when they show up, for sure.

PS: I wish Grand Teton made a lower abv and more true to style version of this. I think they'd do a bang up job.

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours hazey straw yellow with a nice white head that stays around awhile, although not much lacing.

Smells great, it truly has the grapefruitty, sweet, banana complex aromas I remember when I was in country.

Taste equally as great as it smells, it does not fail to be what a great Berliner Weisse beer should taste like, although, it is a little hot from the boosted alc. As stated in another review, it is a cellar reserve and could go into storage easily. Strong banana and cloves with a tart lemon spike, what fun.

Nice medium mouthfeel as would be exspected.

Overall I like this beer. I might let a bottle sit around for a while just to see what it could be when aged for awhile. I will definetly buy a couple more.

4.11/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tall pint glass. Bottled on 5/23/14.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy yellowish golden orange with a lot of rising bubbles. About one finger of white head that fades into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Smell: A funky, tart, and fruity wheat forward aroma with hints of spice and citrus. Wheat and pale malt with hints of straw, grains, cracker, yeast, and caramel. Big hints of the lacto funk. Spice hints of coriander, clove, and pepper. Good fruit presence with zesty hints of lemon, orange, banana, and pear. A pretty decent Hefeweizen like aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a tart, funky, and sweet wheat driven taste with notes of fruit and spice. Wheat and pale malt with some bready notes of grains, straw, cracker, Hefeweizen yeast, and caramel. Spice notes of coriander, pepper, and clove. Big presence of lactobacillus funk. Fruit notes of lemon zest, banana, orange, green apple, and pear. A pretty solid wheat taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a somewhat high level of carbonation. Tart, sweet, prickly, and pretty smooth.

Overall: A pretty nice spin on the Berliner Weisse style. Good mix of funk and spices with some zesty fruit esters.

Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse from Grand Teton Brewing Co.