Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse - Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Snarling Badger Berliner WeisseSnarling Badger Berliner Weisse

good

Grand Teton Brewing Co. visit their website
Idaho, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-11-2012

In Berliner Weisse we think we’ve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism that’s responsible for yogurt’s tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, we’ve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case we’ve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 212 | Reviews: 72
3.3/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poor execution. I would expect more of a sourness and lower abv from the style. Yeasty and some sour fruit aroma. Cloudy deep yellow. Boozy. Only a little tartness, should be fruity sourness or significant lactic. So-so drinkability.Medium mouthfeel.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.91/5  rDev +12.4%

Faintly cloudy, light gold color with a rich, thick, white head; lots of effervescence, great lacing. Slightly sour aroma counterbalanced with a light malt background; freshly mowed grass. Excellent sweet/sour combination; citric with a nice hop bitterness counterbalance; tart. Light bodied, clean, crisp and dry.

A very nice Berliner weissbier; well-crafted. Carbonation adds a lot to the overall body and the flavors combine well, producing a great summer-time beer (although I'm sipping this one on a nice, mild mid-Fall afternoon). I guess I wish I had a better recollection of my beer drinking days in Berlin itself (back in the mid-80s) in order to properly compare style, but based upon most Berliner weissen descriptions I've seen, this one hits on all points.

3.56/5  rDev +2.3%

[Suggested Glassware: Bowl or Chalice]

The pour was a light hazy orange with an average (1-2 finger) white creamy head that was mostly diminishing, down to a thin puddled film with a small collar and had really good sheeting of lacing.

The aroma was of a light grain malt and a musty Belgian Brett yeast with notes of citrus (lemon), green apple and a hint of coriander.

The taste was sweetly tart with a good strong dose of citrus from the onset, becoming rather yeasty and bit fruity with a tart and mildly spicy finish. The flavor lasted and average duration following the swallow with a nice sour citrusy flavor left behind.

Mouthfeel was right in between light and medium in body with a creamy and slightly dry texture and a prickly carbonation.

Overall this was a really flavorful brew with lots of sweet fruitiness and a bold yeasty tart ending...

2.19/5  rDev -37.1%

Had this at the Reno Whole Foods tap room. Poured out, light yellow, mega hazy, pristine virgin like white head on it, about .67" in height. Aroma, whoa, too much perfume, clove and otherwise what seemed like belgian yeast moreso than a German hefe. Good German berlinner's don't smell like this, why should this one?

Taste, jeez, same thing, the mild tartness and wheat is overcome by clove, banana and just a general perfume like taste to the beer. The alcohol is way too high for style, and the taste buds too. This beer needs more tartness, sourness, more of a grist wheat mouthfeel, the correct yeast strain, no clove, no banana, some lemon, just not that heavy yeast presence, less alcohol.

For me, this was an abomination of one of my favorite styles.

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

Purchased at Smith's Liquor in Rapid City, drank 4 months later.

When I poured it into my perfect pour glass I was impressed with the carbonation shooting up from the base that resembled boiling water. The opaque yellow color is intriguing. It smelled of citrus, flowers, a touch of wheat and pepper. The taste was similar with a lightly sour twinge that seems to lighten as the glass warms up. I haven't had this style before so I don't have anything to compare it to, but the body seems good.

This was a vacation splurge with no research. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to get another one, but it's decent.

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

AGED REVIEW

Bottled 3/26/12, stored at ambient basement temperature in hopes of amplifying lacto tartness.

Result:
MISSION INCOMPLETE.

I've run out of the last of my bombers of this one without achieving a solid lacto tartness. I've observed only about a 20% increase in tartness presence over the course of six months. Given the rate of progression, I'd estimate that this one should be aged for a year or even longer.

The good news is that no particular aspect of the beer has oxidized or fallen apart in any way at all, and despite not being quite as sour as other Berliner Weisses, the underlying weisse base is competently assembled and delicious enough to be enjoyed as a simple weizen with a splash of light tartness *as is* without issues.

It's still very much a gentle beginner's version of a Berliner Weisse, and it *is* gradually souring. Only not as quickly as I had anticipated, and I'm all out of bottles. Some other BA member will have to pick up this torch from here. Just wait longer than I did to pop the last bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

2.93/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured into a perfect pint. 2012 vintage.

3.5 A: Moderately hazed dark yellow color. Two fingers of frothy/fizzy white head that falls quickly and leaves just a few whisps of lacing.

3.0 S: It doesn't smell bad, but it's missing many of the things I love about the style. Foremost, it isn't tart in the nose at all. It smells more like an APWA. Secondarily, it's got a lot of bready yeastiness which prevents it from smelling refreshing if that makes sense. Peppery spiciness, surprisingly potent wheat, and bready yeastiness.

3.0 T: Like the nose, the taste is muddled by yeast. There's a bit of funk, but again lacking tartness. Spicy peppery yeastiness, breadiness, and wheat. Again it tastes like an APWA.

3.0 M: Medium body. Not light and refreshing, which is something I like about the style. Rather, it's dense and chewy. I can't ding it too much though as it goes down easy enough.

2.5 D: They need to rethink this beer or stop calling it a BW. It's not bad (it's not good either), but it's not what I wanted.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

3.37/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy yellow-orange with a very dense white head that settles to a 1/2 inch cap. Nice lactic aromas of yogurt, lemon zest, and cracked grains. Not incredibly tart smelling, but pleasant and approachable. Taste is light, with a lemon yogurt flavor that makes up most of the profile. Touch of tartness, touch of grain, but nothing new in the Berliner world. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, with a medium body and ample carbonation. Overall a decent enough Berliner, but far from my favorite example of the style.

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Not that I've head many BWs in my day, but this one seems to be rather tame, and that don't match the Badger name.

Light golden, straw color pour. Head billows up, then settles, but still lingers.

Light aromas of peaches, apricots and florals, some lemon.

Flavor is good. While light, the heaviest flavors are banana and wheat. the tartness is very light, which is too bad. It would pep up the other flavors, imo. I bought this when it came out in the late spring. Maybe more age would help.

3.77/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours medium gold with a big puffy white head. It dissipates, but there's a huge amount of bubbles at first. Color is rather dark for the style. Hazy.

Nice aroma. Reminds me of a soured saison mixed with a hefeweizen. Fresh grain with some barnyard-ish yeast and a sour tang in the background, and it's all on top of banana bread wheat. It's off-style, but it works and, despite the odd mix of flavors, doesn't even seem all that odd. Just a refreshing blend of wheat beer aromas.

Easy and tasty, but I wish there was more tang. Perhaps, that would develop with time - no idea if lacto can do that. Again, it tastes like a saison mixed into a hefe more than anything. Fairly sweet with a very light tang. There's also an odd tannic edge to the finish.

Great feel. Tons of gentle bubbles. That tannic finish isn't quite right, but it's a pleasant beer to drink.

Good stuff. Grand Teton has done a very nice job with the two Cellar Reserves that I've tried, this and the XX Bitch Creek. This beer is tasty and fun to drink. It's not terribly challenging, but you don't have to go that route to make something new and good.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

4.26/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My wife picked this one up for me when she couldn't find my favorite Grand Teton beer "Tail Waggin' Double White". I have to admit, the name snarling badger threw me a little and I wasn't sure what to expect, but like all of their beer, I knew it would be good. It was and I have bought several since.

While this is labled "Berliner Weisse", it actually has a lot of the Belgian Wit style attributes. Much less of a citrus kick to it, but still a little without being overwhelming. It starts smooth, with a good mouthfeel, without the belgian bite to it. Nice head (pour slow or it will go over the top easily). The hops are really light as expected. Any more would ruin the balance of this well crafted beer. Color is light golden and a smooth hazy with no chunks. the finish is the best part. This goes down smooth and its a good thing it comes in 22 oz bottles or I could see a 6-pack dissapearing very quickly. The alcohol kick is pretty good at 7.5% (without the taste or smell of rocket fuel) and six of these would sneak up really quick, but make for a fun night. I really like the "not so filling" part of this style. You can drink it and enjoy it easily without being overwhelmed. I had mine with a chicken pasta. An excellant pairing.

My only complaint is distribution. I live in Utah and have only found this in one store in Wyoming (enough said). Last trip up, I bought all they had, but after a great beer conversation with the clerk, felt compelled to leave one for the guy as we had similar tastes in beer and he was curious to try it. The price was actually really good ( I think 6 dollars or so) so I had no problem cleaning out the store. I havn't made a trip yet up to their store/brewry, but it is on the agenda. Overall, excellant!

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Steve Kim warned me not to... But I did it anyways. Served from tap into a flared pilsner. Poured a golden yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, subtle fruit, floral, and wheat. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, fruit, banana, floral, and apple cider. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty average brew. When it arrived I thought Steve didn't know what he was talking about as it looked pretty close to your average Berliner. However, once I smelled it, I knew what he was on about. There was a HUGE earthy note going on here that make me pull back from it at first before I could inhale deeply. This kind of surprised me if I am honest. This disapated as the glass was consumed thankfully as it would have definitely gotten much lower marks. The flavor had a lot going on, but it was by no means above and average Berliner. I have had quite a few great Berliners and this one was definitely not one. Not sure if a fruit addition could help this one as there just seemed to be a lot missing that I really enjoy in a good Berliner. Glad I got to try it on tap and didn't have to buy a bottle.

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A very hazy golden orange color with a white head. Smells surprisingly sweet for a berliner. A bit of fruit, some lactic tartness, and some sort of hefeweizen like notes of clove and banana. Flavor is quite fruity with lemon, banana, and peaches. It’s also sweet, maybe a bit of honey to it. The tartness is there, but not as prominent as usual in a berlinerweiss. Sort of heavy on the palate, too.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse from Grand Teton Brewing Co.