Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse - Grand Teton Brewing Co.

Snarling Badger Berliner WeisseSnarling Badger Berliner Weisse

good

Grand Teton Brewing Co. visit their website
Idaho, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-11-2012

In Berliner Weisse we think we’ve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism that’s responsible for yogurt’s tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, we’ve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case we’ve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.3/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poor execution. I would expect more of a sourness and lower abv from the style. Yeasty and some sour fruit aroma. Cloudy deep yellow. Boozy. Only a little tartness, should be fruity sourness or significant lactic. So-so drinkability.Medium mouthfeel. (250 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +13%

Faintly cloudy, light gold color with a rich, thick, white head; lots of effervescence, great lacing. Slightly sour aroma counterbalanced with a light malt background; freshly mowed grass. Excellent sweet/sour combination; citric with a nice hop bitterness counterbalance; tart. Light bodied, clean, crisp and dry.

A very nice Berliner weissbier; well-crafted. Carbonation adds a lot to the overall body and the flavors combine well, producing a great summer-time beer (although I'm sipping this one on a nice, mild mid-Fall afternoon). I guess I wish I had a better recollection of my beer drinking days in Berlin itself (back in the mid-80s) in order to properly compare style, but based upon most Berliner weissen descriptions I've seen, this one hits on all points. (770 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +2.9%

[Suggested Glassware: Bowl or Chalice]

The pour was a light hazy orange with an average (1-2 finger) white creamy head that was mostly diminishing, down to a thin puddled film with a small collar and had really good sheeting of lacing.

The aroma was of a light grain malt and a musty Belgian Brett yeast with notes of citrus (lemon), green apple and a hint of coriander.

The taste was sweetly tart with a good strong dose of citrus from the onset, becoming rather yeasty and bit fruity with a tart and mildly spicy finish. The flavor lasted and average duration following the swallow with a nice sour citrusy flavor left behind.

Mouthfeel was right in between light and medium in body with a creamy and slightly dry texture and a prickly carbonation.

Overall this was a really flavorful brew with lots of sweet fruitiness and a bold yeasty tart ending...

http://www.facebook.com/KAJIIsBeerReviews (902 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -36.7%

Had this at the Reno Whole Foods tap room. Poured out, light yellow, mega hazy, pristine virgin like white head on it, about .67" in height. Aroma, whoa, too much perfume, clove and otherwise what seemed like belgian yeast moreso than a German hefe. Good German berlinner's don't smell like this, why should this one?

Taste, jeez, same thing, the mild tartness and wheat is overcome by clove, banana and just a general perfume like taste to the beer. The alcohol is way too high for style, and the taste buds too. This beer needs more tartness, sourness, more of a grist wheat mouthfeel, the correct yeast strain, no clove, no banana, some lemon, just not that heavy yeast presence, less alcohol.

For me, this was an abomination of one of my favorite styles. (761 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Purchased at Smith's Liquor in Rapid City, drank 4 months later.

When I poured it into my perfect pour glass I was impressed with the carbonation shooting up from the base that resembled boiling water. The opaque yellow color is intriguing. It smelled of citrus, flowers, a touch of wheat and pepper. The taste was similar with a lightly sour twinge that seems to lighten as the glass warms up. I haven't had this style before so I don't have anything to compare it to, but the body seems good.

This was a vacation splurge with no research. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to get another one, but it's decent. (617 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

AGED REVIEW

Bottled 3/26/12, stored at ambient basement temperature in hopes of amplifying lacto tartness.

Result:
MISSION INCOMPLETE.

I've run out of the last of my bombers of this one without achieving a solid lacto tartness. I've observed only about a 20% increase in tartness presence over the course of six months. Given the rate of progression, I'd estimate that this one should be aged for a year or even longer.

The good news is that no particular aspect of the beer has oxidized or fallen apart in any way at all, and despite not being quite as sour as other Berliner Weisses, the underlying weisse base is competently assembled and delicious enough to be enjoyed as a simple weizen with a splash of light tartness *as is* without issues.

It's still very much a gentle beginner's version of a Berliner Weisse, and it *is* gradually souring. Only not as quickly as I had anticipated, and I'm all out of bottles. Some other BA member will have to pick up this torch from here. Just wait longer than I did to pop the last bottle. (1,040 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured into a perfect pint. 2012 vintage.

3.5 A: Moderately hazed dark yellow color. Two fingers of frothy/fizzy white head that falls quickly and leaves just a few whisps of lacing.

3.0 S: It doesn't smell bad, but it's missing many of the things I love about the style. Foremost, it isn't tart in the nose at all. It smells more like an APWA. Secondarily, it's got a lot of bready yeastiness which prevents it from smelling refreshing if that makes sense. Peppery spiciness, surprisingly potent wheat, and bready yeastiness.

3.0 T: Like the nose, the taste is muddled by yeast. There's a bit of funk, but again lacking tartness. Spicy peppery yeastiness, breadiness, and wheat. Again it tastes like an APWA.

3.0 M: Medium body. Not light and refreshing, which is something I like about the style. Rather, it's dense and chewy. I can't ding it too much though as it goes down easy enough.

2.5 D: They need to rethink this beer or stop calling it a BW. It's not bad (it's not good either), but it's not what I wanted. (1,023 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a hazy yellow-orange with a very dense white head that settles to a 1/2 inch cap. Nice lactic aromas of yogurt, lemon zest, and cracked grains. Not incredibly tart smelling, but pleasant and approachable. Taste is light, with a lemon yogurt flavor that makes up most of the profile. Touch of tartness, touch of grain, but nothing new in the Berliner world. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, with a medium body and ample carbonation. Overall a decent enough Berliner, but far from my favorite example of the style. (515 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%

Not that I've head many BWs in my day, but this one seems to be rather tame, and that don't match the Badger name.

Light golden, straw color pour. Head billows up, then settles, but still lingers.

Light aromas of peaches, apricots and florals, some lemon.

Flavor is good. While light, the heaviest flavors are banana and wheat. the tartness is very light, which is too bad. It would pep up the other flavors, imo. I bought this when it came out in the late spring. Maybe more age would help. (494 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +9%

Pours medium gold with a big puffy white head. It dissipates, but there's a huge amount of bubbles at first. Color is rather dark for the style. Hazy.

Nice aroma. Reminds me of a soured saison mixed with a hefeweizen. Fresh grain with some barnyard-ish yeast and a sour tang in the background, and it's all on top of banana bread wheat. It's off-style, but it works and, despite the odd mix of flavors, doesn't even seem all that odd. Just a refreshing blend of wheat beer aromas.

Easy and tasty, but I wish there was more tang. Perhaps, that would develop with time - no idea if lacto can do that. Again, it tastes like a saison mixed into a hefe more than anything. Fairly sweet with a very light tang. There's also an odd tannic edge to the finish.

Great feel. Tons of gentle bubbles. That tannic finish isn't quite right, but it's a pleasant beer to drink.

Good stuff. Grand Teton has done a very nice job with the two Cellar Reserves that I've tried, this and the XX Bitch Creek. This beer is tasty and fun to drink. It's not terribly challenging, but you don't have to go that route to make something new and good. (1,125 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My wife picked this one up for me when she couldn't find my favorite Grand Teton beer "Tail Waggin' Double White". I have to admit, the name snarling badger threw me a little and I wasn't sure what to expect, but like all of their beer, I knew it would be good. It was and I have bought several since.

While this is labled "Berliner Weisse", it actually has a lot of the Belgian Wit style attributes. Much less of a citrus kick to it, but still a little without being overwhelming. It starts smooth, with a good mouthfeel, without the belgian bite to it. Nice head (pour slow or it will go over the top easily). The hops are really light as expected. Any more would ruin the balance of this well crafted beer. Color is light golden and a smooth hazy with no chunks. the finish is the best part. This goes down smooth and its a good thing it comes in 22 oz bottles or I could see a 6-pack dissapearing very quickly. The alcohol kick is pretty good at 7.5% (without the taste or smell of rocket fuel) and six of these would sneak up really quick, but make for a fun night. I really like the "not so filling" part of this style. You can drink it and enjoy it easily without being overwhelmed. I had mine with a chicken pasta. An excellant pairing.

My only complaint is distribution. I live in Utah and have only found this in one store in Wyoming (enough said). Last trip up, I bought all they had, but after a great beer conversation with the clerk, felt compelled to leave one for the guy as we had similar tastes in beer and he was curious to try it. The price was actually really good ( I think 6 dollars or so) so I had no problem cleaning out the store. I havn't made a trip yet up to their store/brewry, but it is on the agenda. Overall, excellant! (1,755 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -12.4%

Steve Kim warned me not to... But I did it anyways. Served from tap into a flared pilsner. Poured a golden yellow-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, subtle fruit, floral, and wheat. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, fruit, banana, floral, and apple cider. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty average brew. When it arrived I thought Steve didn't know what he was talking about as it looked pretty close to your average Berliner. However, once I smelled it, I knew what he was on about. There was a HUGE earthy note going on here that make me pull back from it at first before I could inhale deeply. This kind of surprised me if I am honest. This disapated as the glass was consumed thankfully as it would have definitely gotten much lower marks. The flavor had a lot going on, but it was by no means above and average Berliner. I have had quite a few great Berliners and this one was definitely not one. Not sure if a fruit addition could help this one as there just seemed to be a lot missing that I really enjoy in a good Berliner. Glad I got to try it on tap and didn't have to buy a bottle. (1,283 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A very hazy golden orange color with a white head. Smells surprisingly sweet for a berliner. A bit of fruit, some lactic tartness, and some sort of hefeweizen like notes of clove and banana. Flavor is quite fruity with lemon, banana, and peaches. It’s also sweet, maybe a bit of honey to it. The tartness is there, but not as prominent as usual in a berlinerweiss. Sort of heavy on the palate, too. (400 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at Churchill’s Pub & Grille in San Marcos, CA.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy off-white head that fades to nothing. Foamy dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is only slightly tart with some malt, grain, and fruity aromas. Taste is much the same with a spice flavor on the finish. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is drinkable but not a very good representation of the style in my opinion. (528 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bottle - $8.99 at Sam's Beer & More in Lexington, South Carolina.

Appearance: Dark golden body, moderately clouded, with a brief but unyielding, not-quite-fizzy, white head.

Smell: All of the wheat malt aroma you would expect from a big wheat beer, with notes of clove, sugar-laced bananas, florals, and tired lemons.

Taste: Sweet with plenty viscous, creamy malted wheat flavor. Slight perceived honey taste, with a growing banana character. Pinch of clove. Low citrusy hint. Lightly acidic, very little tartness -- not nearly enough to cut through the rich wheatiness (if it weren't for the carbonation, this would be even more of a mess). Closes out nearly as sweet and wheaty as it started.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-high carbonation.

Overall: I cannot tell you h--actually, I suppose I can tell you. I was very excited to purchase a Berliner Weisse. I was very disappointed to learn it was anything but. For a few minutes I tried to pretend it was a Belgian golden ale loaded with wheat. No dice. (1,025 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a meringue of a head that leaves clumpy splotches of lace

Smell: Overripe pear, lemons and yeasty phenols; somewhat boozy

Taste: Overripe pears, lemons, wheat and yeasty phenols, up front, like a cross between a Weizenbock and boozy tripel; lactobacillus takes over, after the swallow, adding a yogurty sourness along with a bit of funk; quite boozy in the finish, with a tension between the sugars and the tart flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; warming in the gullet

Overall: Clearly not to style and I am not rating it on that basis; Weizenbocks and the sweeter end of the Tripel style are not styles I particularly like so it is no surprise that I don't particularly care for this beer; perhaps the beer will improve with some time under its belt (829 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -2%

Well, I am pretty sure this is my first (non home brewed) Berliner (or somewhat equivalent). A 3oz pour at Atomic Coffee, Moorhead, MN (July 27, 2012). From notes.

Hazy body that is pale yellow with a decent head and lacing. Wheat on nose with hint of fruit and butter. Citrus in body, lemon and tangerine initially with light spice notes. The citrus drops right off leaving a light lactic tartness. I wish it had more... Finishes with lingering bitterness / astringency. Seems off. (483 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -31.8%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Hazed light golden and yellow with a thin white head that leaves spots and irregular webs of lace down the glass. Pretty and appropriate for the style.

The aroma is a combination of lemon and wheat with some definite acidity and sour notes. Though there is also a bit of alcohol heat sprinting from the glass, which seems absurd for the style...but then again, this one has 7+ percent ABV. What the...?

The flavor is definitely acidic and sour with some lemon and wheat, but the syrupy mouthfeel and overall fruity sweetness is more than distracting. This is incredibly sweet--not a hallmark of the style.

Thick, syrupy, and heavy. Not good for the style. Not good, ever. Cloying, sticky, thick: not words I ever want to associate with a berliner.

A radical departure from one of my favorite styles. I will not have this again. (880 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

750ml into a Hopleaf tulip.

A: Pours a glowing gold with a big, white, rocky head.

S: Wheat, musty yeast, stone fruit and banana esters, slight lemon.

T: Big wheat and dry, fruity esters - banana, peach, apple. Slight booze under a grainy pale malt base. Crisp with a peppery bitterness, a bit lemony with a barely perceptible dry acidity.

M: Lively carbonation, light-bodied.

O: Seems more like a strong hefeweizen at this strength, with almost no lacto tartness detectable. Not bad, but not what it should be. (516 characters)

3.46/5  rDev 0%

2012 Poured into a snifter

This beer is a hazy golden orange with a two finger white head, quick dissipation with little retention. The nose and taste is surprising. It is a very fruity wheat beer, a lot of wheat flavors, dark fruits and lemons zest. Earthy tones and onion tastes. Very unique taste and somewhat bitter for only 15 IBU's. This beer has high carbonation and a rather full feel. Pretty good and a very unique brew, I would recomment especially if you have a bottle connection. (492 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%

Big foam up in the tall, skinny glass, but better in a chalice. Slight haze to the golden amber color. Faint fruity aroma, like ripe muskmelon. Fairly spritzy on the tongue.

Sharp, but not tart. A sweetness more like a Hefeweizen. Nice wheat malt flavors. Some Belgian funky bitterness but not much detectable hop flavor. Cantaloupe and roasted corn. It's kind of interesting, double-strength Berliner without the sourness. Reminds me more of a double Pilsener. Very fruity and seems to get sweeter as you sip.

From the 750 ml bottle, 2012 version. Bought at the Olive Tree in San Diego. (589 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +1.4%

25.4oz brown bottle, freshness date on the label and vintage year on the neck.

LOOK: Slightly cloudy, gold color, sufficient lacing

SMELL: Bready, mild tartness, doughy biscuits, grassy, yeast, soft, taffy, banana peel, phenolic

TASTE: Mild tartness, fresh pears, green banana, peppery, crackers, grassy, yeast, mild phenols, gummy, walnut skin, foral, alcohol, dry grain finish

Not as tart as expected, just enough perhaps. I know this is an amped up version though it could have been labeled as a helles weizenbock and we'd all have a different mindset here. Not a huge problem with me though, just hoped to have my palate puckered. (638 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this lovely beer last week.

Pour-Hazy golden orange color with a white head.

Aroma-Citrus with a cloves and little bit of honey as well.

Taste-Balanced with lemon zest as well hints of spices with some honey and bread definitely a lot of wheat. Definitely a bit fruity as well.

Mouthfeel-Wheaty mouthfeel and some carbonation with a dry finish. (353 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -63.6%

Why is this beer 7.5% ABV?!
That seems so the opposite of the style...

Lemony tartness with orange peel and grassy notes... A sweet and spicy wheat malt lies underneath it.

The lemon tartness was short-lived... Now the finish has become quite chalky-- like Smarties candy with a touch of tartness.

Feels too thick for the style... And quite chalky.

Dark golden colored bodied, not at all cloudy-- very clear. White head of 2 fingers settled quickly to a thin ring. The ring hangs on for quite a while. No lacing at all.

Overall-- this is not a good take on the style. I was really hoping to like this beer... But it just isn't gonna work out. It isn't tart enough, the ABV is too high, and it really isn't very refreshing. It sounds rude, but this beer fails at all aspects of being a Berliner. (804 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Beachwood I,

A: Pours a dark goldenrod to light amber with a medium white head, some lace.

S: Lemon, grassy hops, some yeast character.

T: Not traditonal for a Berliner, though I do see its roots. Lemon, with some acidity, but this gets overtaken with a lot of pit fruit, almost Belgian in style, yeasty.

M: Medium-bodied, mild acidity, crisp, easy drinking.

O: This is one of those beers that really has to be reviewed on its own merits and not to style. As a Berliner Weisse it's not that great, there are shades of the style, but no one that would have this for the first time blind would think this is a Berliner, more like an acidic saison or BPA. Nevertheless, it tastes pretty darn good. Well structured, good flavour and nose, this is a real nice beer. Take it for that and enjoy it. (806 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Snarling Badger Berliner Weisse from Grand Teton Brewing Co.