Mosaic Session Ale - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Mosaic Session AleMosaic Session Ale

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: alyssapowers on 04-22-2014)

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

My absolute favorite Karl Strauss beer. Tastes best paired with lean meats like fish and salads that aren't too salty. Don't wreck your palate or you'll not enjoy this beer.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%

2.26/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

BAIT AND SWITCH

Here's a question for all of you dudes who gave high reviews for this: Have you ever attempted to drink 2 or 3 of these?

This beer is is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination a "session beer". My buddy, who is not a big fan of the super-hopped-up beers was looking for a recommendation, and I picked this off of the the beer list for him. BIG mistake. He hated it. So I attempted to drink his 16 ounce draft beer and my own. I could not do it. I know what a session beer is, and this is not it.

Enough of the friggin' hops for the sake of hops. I have no clue how this scored a 91% on this site. This might be nice if I was splitting a 12 oz beer with 2 other guys. Can I drink 2 full beers of these? No chance. NOT A SESSION BEER. The name of this beer totally misrepresents the contents.

FAIL

If this were named "Hop-o-matic" or "the persuit of hoppiness" or "hoppy valley" or "Karl's Hoppy-ass-bull-crap", then I would know what I was buying, and maybe when I was in the mood, it would be good. But I am quite grumpy about this. Can you tell?

OK, so I'll try to give constructive criticism. The carbonation level is about right. The taste is too bitter and dry. Lots of hops. The head was nice enough when it arrived at our table, and it held up for a pretty long time. (I know, because it took a long time to choke them down.) The color was a bit cloudy and slightly orange. Way too hoppy to EVER be referred to as a session beer. (Have I been clear on that point?)

Did you put the word "session" in the name so someone would buy a full case? Nice call by the marketing department.

Done.
Later Karl. I'll be shopping elsewhere.

Mosaic Session Ale from Karl Strauss Brewing Company