Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

good

good

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: oggg on 03-15-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen Alström Bros

4.72/5  rDev +29.3%

When I read the other reviews on this beer I felt that I had a duty to perform. I have had a lot of different hefe's before: Bavarian, American, etc., and this is my favorite one so far. The beer is the cloudiest hefe I have ever seen. It is a light yellow/orange color. The smell is sweet. The taste has hints of banana and vanilla. The beer is only lightly carbonated and therefore has little head. The traditional way of drinking a hefe is with a lemon, but this one is great with or without. Everyone has different tastes and I am only sharing mine. However, if you have never had this beer before, I think it is at least worth trying.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

4.39/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Bright yellow/orange with a terrific tiny bubble head.

Smell: I got a lot of banana in the smell.

Taste: A delicious sweetness. I get a lot of banana and vanilla notes. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth.

Drinkability: My favorite Hef I’ve ever had. Windansea Wheat is a hidden gem in the Karl Strauss beer line-up.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Had on tap.

A- Pours a cloudy golden yellow color. Half finger white head that dies rather quickly. Some light lacing left on the glass as I drink it down.

S- This one stayed pretty close I might say. Nice banana and clove all over the nose. There was some light wheaty bready notes sprinkled in a citrus overtone. Nothing over the top but enough to make you want to taste it.

T- Light bready wheat upfront to this. The middle had the banana and clove shine through. Light citrus and more wheaty notes on the backend. Pretty straight forward to what the aroma was. No off flavors that I have seen other people talk about.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little off I thought. Wheat and citrus left on the palate with some banana and clove in the ending mixed with a sweet alcohol. Flavors were balanced I thought for the style. Light drying on the palate.

D- This was a very drinkable Hefe. Not the best I have tried by far but this one made me go back for more. A nice summertime beer that even BMC drinkers could sink their teeth and pocketbooks into.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

Orange flavor is the standout. Sweet and rich. Spicy but less flavor than most Hefeweizens. Nice nose, very fragrant with spicy wheat esters. Pleasant cloudy amber in the tall glass.

I thought this was very nice for a first beer of the evening. Clean, plenty of flavor, quite malty. It's not the classic German style but so much better than many awful American wheat beers I have to give it some credit. Enjoyed at the Tap Room in Pacific Beach.

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured a cloudy yellow with orange hue. Nice fluffy head.

The smell was mainly of banana with a slight spice as well.

The taste was on par with the smell except with a little more lemon zest and less is no clove.

I had this beer at California Pizza Kitchen and I'm glad because my pizza was so spicy a sip of this hefe took the heat right off. A better pairing than I could ask for.

Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen from Karl Strauss Brewing Company