Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Windansea Wheat HefeweizenWindansea Wheat Hefeweizen

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: oggg on 03-15-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.86/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured a cloudy deep yellow with a nice white head. I must say...this beer looked really good. Nose is banana, wheat and not much else. Taste was mostly banana and wheat. I could not really detect any clove here. Sordove astringent on the end of the beer, taste begins to die but this beer is still good and very drinkable

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Tap Downtown. A very nice hefe. Pours a cloudy gold with a thick white head. Nice strong aroma of banana, clove, and wheat. The taste follows through big time. Great balance, with both the clove and banana yeast esters shining on their own. A nice lemony finish.

Poured a cloudy yellow with orange hue. Nice fluffy head.

The smell was mainly of banana with a slight spice as well.

The taste was on par with the smell except with a little more lemon zest and less is no clove.

I had this beer at California Pizza Kitchen and I'm glad because my pizza was so spicy a sip of this hefe took the heat right off. A better pairing than I could ask for.

4.07/5  rDev +15.6%

Orange flavor is the standout. Sweet and rich. Spicy but less flavor than most Hefeweizens. Nice nose, very fragrant with spicy wheat esters. Pleasant cloudy amber in the tall glass.

I thought this was very nice for a first beer of the evening. Clean, plenty of flavor, quite malty. It's not the classic German style but so much better than many awful American wheat beers I have to give it some credit. Enjoyed at the Tap Room in Pacific Beach.

4.07/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: Very cloudy straw colored with a fluffy white head.

Smell: Strong banana yeast smell.

Taste: Huge yeasty banana flavor, a bit of peanut taste. Not much of the clove or spice taste that a lot of Hefe yeast has. Dry wheaty backbone. Some citrus rind taste. Just a little bitterness towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick and well carbonated.

Overall: Good Hefeweizen. A lot of Hefes taste very similar to each other, but this one stands out a bit due to the unusual yeast flavor (although some people might like it less for that reason).

4.12/5  rDev +17%

Had on tap.

A- Pours a cloudy golden yellow color. Half finger white head that dies rather quickly. Some light lacing left on the glass as I drink it down.

S- This one stayed pretty close I might say. Nice banana and clove all over the nose. There was some light wheaty bready notes sprinkled in a citrus overtone. Nothing over the top but enough to make you want to taste it.

T- Light bready wheat upfront to this. The middle had the banana and clove shine through. Light citrus and more wheaty notes on the backend. Pretty straight forward to what the aroma was. No off flavors that I have seen other people talk about.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little off I thought. Wheat and citrus left on the palate with some banana and clove in the ending mixed with a sweet alcohol. Flavors were balanced I thought for the style. Light drying on the palate.

D- This was a very drinkable Hefe. Not the best I have tried by far but this one made me go back for more. A nice summertime beer that even BMC drinkers could sink their teeth and pocketbooks into.

4.27/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This thing was banana cream pie to me. Fluffy carb. Really tasty, though the sweetness may not be for some, nor allow for extended drinking, but on a warm, Southern California day, it worked just dandy for me.

4.37/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Bright yellow/orange with a terrific tiny bubble head.

Smell: I got a lot of banana in the smell.

Taste: A delicious sweetness. I get a lot of banana and vanilla notes. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth.

Drinkability: My favorite Hef I’ve ever had. Windansea Wheat is a hidden gem in the Karl Strauss beer line-up.

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

When I read the other reviews on this beer I felt that I had a duty to perform. I have had a lot of different hefe's before: Bavarian, American, etc., and this is my favorite one so far. The beer is the cloudiest hefe I have ever seen. It is a light yellow/orange color. The smell is sweet. The taste has hints of banana and vanilla. The beer is only lightly carbonated and therefore has little head. The traditional way of drinking a hefe is with a lemon, but this one is great with or without. Everyone has different tastes and I am only sharing mine. However, if you have never had this beer before, I think it is at least worth trying.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last