Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Windansea Wheat HefeweizenWindansea Wheat Hefeweizen

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: oggg on 03-15-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

When I read the other reviews on this beer I felt that I had a duty to perform. I have had a lot of different hefe's before: Bavarian, American, etc., and this is my favorite one so far. The beer is the cloudiest hefe I have ever seen. It is a light yellow/orange color. The smell is sweet. The taste has hints of banana and vanilla. The beer is only lightly carbonated and therefore has little head. The traditional way of drinking a hefe is with a lemon, but this one is great with or without. Everyone has different tastes and I am only sharing mine. However, if you have never had this beer before, I think it is at least worth trying.

3.13/5  rDev -11.1%

Pint from the PB Tap Room a couple days ago for four dollars

Been meaning to try this for quite some time now but surprisingly I do not see it many places and it is not available in bottles as far as I know

Color was a medium orange yellow with a very murky body, 3/4 inch creamy white head, some nice retention, minimal lacing

Smell was all over the place but not bad, wheat, citrus, bananas, butter, sweet malt, faint bready aromas, and lots of vanilla

Taste had lots of citrus from the beginning, chewy wheat aftertaste followed by an immediate sweetness, everything in the smell seemed to show up in the taste as well, weird vanilla and banana flavors once it warmed that made it pretty hard to drink, definitely one of the sweeter hefeweizens I have tasted, needed some of that famous Karl Strauss hoppiness to balance some of the sweet tastes out

Body was super thick for a hef, not as much carbonation as would think either, taste did last long and there was a noticeably sweet mouthfeel

Could not drink much of this stuff and I cannot say that about many wheat beers out there, just too sweet and tiresome after a while, the ABV is low but it is heavy and thick, maybe another pint maximum if I had not drank anything else at that sitting

Definitely not my favorite Karl Strauss beer, not too upset that this is a draft only brew, probably would not drink again, think it would be probably be even worse in the summer with the sweetness and the heat, not a session beer like many other beers of this style

3.38/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draught at Islands restaurant in Huntington Beach, served with a lemon. The beer is a hazy yellow-gold color with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Spotty lacing. Wheat, bananas and clove in the nose. Medium, clean body with wheat, tropical fruit and sweet spice flavors. The finish is fruity with a lingering wheaty aftertaste. Above average overall.

2.71/5  rDev -23%

Looks nice, with a pleasant cloudy golden color. Smells appropriately wheaty/grassy/citrus-ey. Mouthfeel is abysmal: thin, watery, little to no head, no lacing, no substance. Taste is thin as well. Carbonated water with some wheat and hops mixed in.

Stay away.

3.1/5  rDev -11.9%

Pretty good Hefeweizen.

Cloudy yellow color, with a thin white head. Lots of yeast. Low carbonation. Served too cold.

Strong banana scent mixed with citrus.

This hefe was full of banana flavor, nice smooth finish. A little sweet. Nice a crisp, good summer beer.

Very drinkable, strong fruit-filled hefe, very light on the palate.

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had lunch today at "islands" in beverly hills. Its a middle of the road type place like red robin or applebee's. Needless to say the selection of beers was weak so I went with the only brew there I havent tried. Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen really drew me in as the appearance was very good. Cloudy, golden, nice head and decent lacing. This beer has all the makings of a quality product...I JUST MAY STOP IN TO THIS PLACE AGAIN!! Then in one big boring second it all comes to an end. The taste is weak with nothing stepping up and claiming I AM THE BEER. Its watery mouthfeel and overemphasized carbonation is annoying. Not again. Although I shouldnt say that because it still beats the other crap they had on tap.

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

It was so fizzy it was like soda pop. I don't inow if this is the same brand of hefewizen but I got the sampler tray and they all were over carbonated. The atmosphere in the La Jolla restaurant was decent but the beer was nothing to write home about. Or a review. I'm not a beer critic but I know what I like (i.e. Los Gatos Brewing company or Kona Brewing Company Hefewizen) and this wasn't one of them. I would not go back.

2.94/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Golden straw-colored transluscent body topped with a two finger collar of rapidly dissapating foam. Lacing is ok, but large fish-eye bubbles are a telltale giveaway of forced carbonation

Aroma: Nice Bavarian style nose...floral esters, hints of banana and spice, and even a wee bit of yeast

Taste: Very middle-of-the-road taste...almost as though the beer is confused as to whether to be a Euro or an imitation of it's American cousins. Virtually no hop notes detected.

Mouthfeel: Thin and one-dimensional

Drinkability: Unfortunately, this Hefe could not live up to the promises made by the nose and falls short of a beer which I would pursue.

3.42/5  rDev -2.8%

Part of a 6 beer sampler

"An unfiltered SoCal-style wheat beer. Not your average American hefeweizen!" 3 srm 15 ibu 3.5 body

so it says on the Karl Strauss website. I can buy that it is more in the hefeweizen style as opposed to an American-style wheat ale. The name Wheat Hefeweizen is pretty annoying though. And what is SoCal style?

This beer pours a nice hazy full yellow. Minimal head due to sample size. This beer actually has a decently apparent, sweet aroma. I get a decent amount of banana and spiciness with no hop bitterness. Nice wheaty taste and feel. Refreshing and light. Good for newbies. Somewhere in the middle range for wheats that I've tasted.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last