Endless Summer Light - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Endless Summer LightEndless Summer Light

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

Light Lager |  3.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-03-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.15/5  rDev +45.1%

Appearance: Perfectly average golden yellow body with a perfectly average white head; instantly recognizable as beer - no more, no less.

Smell: Very nice. Are we sure this is a light lager? It smells more like a Kölsch, or maybe even a pale mild. Surprisingly complex and mouthwatering, with notes of biscuits, honey, pineapple, sake yeast, and some diacetyl. And since the malts aren't caramelly or toasty, the diacetyl comes through in an interesting way; not butterscotchy or toffee-like, but more like buttered popcorn. Some rough fusel alcohol is also detectable in the background.

Taste: Light, but not too light. Corny, crackery, and biscuity with a happoshu-like touch of unmalted barley. The hops are pleasant and fleeting, fading in to provide balance and spice, then quickly fading out. The beer starts and finishes malty, yet refreshing.

Mouthfeel: A tad too thick. The carbonation strikes a nice chord between soft, airy, and sparkly, but it should be dryer overall.

Drinkability: Wow. I had low expectations for this beer - light lager, bought on sale at a store in Japan, from a brewery I've never heard of - but they were far, far surpassed. Very nice - a light lager for ESB fans? I will be buying more of this.

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

3.48/5  rDev +21.7%

I got a six-pack of this as a gift from a friend who went to LA. I don't normally look for light beers, but it's a chance to try a beer I haven't seen in my area. Poured it into a pilsner glass. NIce golden color with a white foamy head. Not a pale as I was expecting which I took as a good sign. A ring of foam remained until the end with a little lacing. Has a pretty generic beer smell which is, I guess, a mild combo of malt and hops. Nice mild hop taste. Very crisp and light, but not over bland and watery. Perfect amount of carbonation. Really not a bad beer. I could see myself having a few of these at a seaside cafe on a warm afternoon and being really happy. Or, maybe during and after some yard work. Very drinkable.

3.1/5  rDev +8.4%

This was ok. It was good for a light beer.

Appearance- gold color, transparent

Smell- bready, nice

Taste- nice for a light beer, light flavor

Mouthfeel- thick for a light beer

Drinkability- I might drink it again. I dunno maybe, not too bad though

3.05/5  rDev +6.6%

12 ounce bottle at Bad Dog Ale House in El Segundo

Poured into a pint glass with a golden color and a very small white head

Smell was weak and a little hint of hops and yeast

Taste was smooth, but not much to it

Very easy to drink, super light, and goes down with no problems

Low alcohol content

2.88/5  rDev +0.7%

Trying to drink lighter right now so I tried this one. Let's just say I will be drinking something with 20 or 30 more calories next for some actual taste.

A - Light golden and pretty transparent. Very little head that disappears almost right away.

S - I can't smell much here. It smells like a beer at least.

T - Kinda taste's a tad sweet but besides that it's your standard pilsner.

M - Thin.

O - It has a little taste and I would probably drink it over most domestic lights but that's not saying much.

2.75/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer pours a clear, light yellow color. Carbonation bubbles rise up from the bottom of the glass. It boasts a very tiny white head. The head fades quickly, leaving no lace.

This beer smells like the water in canned corn. It has a very slight grainy aroma to it as well. Nothing else.

This beer has almsot no flavor at all. I taste a very slight grainy flavor. Other than that, it is pretty much carbonated water tinted yellow.

This beer is lightly carbonated. It leaves no aftertaste what so ever.

I dont know what type of session beer this is. I am having trouble giving drinkability a score because if I want to drink a beer, this would have low drinkability. I dont taste any beer. However, it is easy to drink. I guess that means it should score high.

Overall: No problem with the flavor, xcept that it has none. Dont drink this one. I should have known better.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »