Fullsuit Belgian-Style Brown Ale - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

good

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian Dark Ale |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: hopdog on 12-10-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fullsuit Belgian-Style Brown Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 34
3.77/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber-copper color. Minimal head, unfortunately. Slight lacing. No visible carbonation.

Smell: Nice malty aroma with some spices like cinnamon.

Taste: Nice flavor with some aromatic spices like cinnamon and such. A bit of spicyness, brown sugar, and some more spice in the finish. There's a slight bit of the Karl Strauss butteryness in the aftertaste, but it is really minimized here.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and very smooth. Minimal carbonation.

Drinkability: Tasty and session-worthy.

Karl Strauss has recently put out a couple of their best beers in bottles; this and 'To The 9s'. They've done an excellent job and it is really promising for the future. I've always had mixed feelings about their beers... besides the generally solid amber ale, most of their beers have had something off in the flavor that irritated me. I'm glad to enjoy their new beers both on tap and from the bottle, and I look forward to more of them.

2.86/5  rDev -20.8%

Had this at Sally's in San Diego. Walnut color with a thin tan head that lasted a good 60 seconds. Was served way too cold, so there wasn't much aroma. In fact, there wasn't much aroma after it warmed up, either, although I managed to detect some caramel and apricots at some point. Mild carbonation was nice, and provided a prickly base for the dried fruit and light hops in the taste, but over all this was a rather blah beeah. I don't see much relation between this beer and any other Belgian dark I've had. I like the name, but I'd avoid another glass of this.

4.14/5  rDev +14.7%

You might say this purchase was on an "educated whim." After Parrot in a Palm Tree, I'm beginning to trust Karl Strauss a little more, and a Belgian Dark Ale in a 6-pack for 8 bucks is (could be) quite the deal. Luckily, I may have struck gold.

A gentle pour reveals a gentle beer. Active but wimpy head sits atop a rather beautiful shade of burgundy red. I don't know if I've seen this color much before; definitely not in brown ales.

I didn't know Karl Strauss was a surfer brand, but apparently that's the insp behind the Full Suit moniker, kind of appealing in a nostalgic sort of way.
Smell is quite magical, an initial roastiness gives way to fruity Belgian esters... I can't quite unravel this one. It's great though.
Taste is similarly attractive. Quite dry but with an awesome fullness that gets the most out of its 6.3% abv - perhaps the perfect content for this beer.

I would love to see this in a blind tasting. I have a feeling its "big brand" label would throw many to a bias, but peel that off and expect a lot of "Dude what the heck am I drinking?" Well dude, maybe it's a:
1. Brown Ale. Then shit, this is crazy kick ass good.
2. Belgian Dark Ale. Really? Kind of light... Which Brasserie?
3. Karl Strauss. Pfft yeah right.

Well done Mr. Strauss. I think you're on the right path here.

I think a pretty great seasonal beer. Dark brown pour, and you can see the carbonation rush to the surface but it mellows out after being left to warm for a bit. Smell of dark fruit, oaky, and cherry. Rich taste, way more complex that I expected. Love the way the oakiness cuts through at the end of each sip. I feel like the taste is a good blend of things that I didn't really picture being together, and although I am not always the biggest fan of sweeter stuff, I think the flavors work really well together. There is a slight warmth of alcohol, and the mouthfeel is full and well carbonated. Definitely would buy this again. A pleasant surprise.

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

Had this beer yesterday at the la beer week festival.
Appearance: nice dark brown color with highlights. Solid head, nice lacing

Smell: wonderful spice and clove flavors from the beligian yeast. Nice malty character

Taste: a rich bouquet of sweet malty spice and clove.

Mouthfeel: a very nice and mellow tasting winter warmer. Alcohol is nicely subdued by the spiciness of the Belgian yeast.

Overall: great beer. Quite possibly one of my top 10s..

From the tap, Nice color, it is a Brown Ale for sure. Picked up a lot of flavors form the smell, a lot of dark fruit sweetness. Has a but of creaminess nice a smooth, finishes with a nice roasted malt taste. A slight bit sweeter then I usually go for but very good over all. Takes a few drinks to really pick out all of the flavors but it just goes to show that they are blended together very seamlessly

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Very flavorful and waiting to try more.

3.59/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Poured dark copper red with tan head that dissappeared quickly

S - Chocolate, cherries, waffles, sweet malt, fruity esters and a little belgian funk

T - Upfront its sweet with some hop bitterness giving way quickly to a flash of belgian malt and yeasty funk tastes with a dry alcohol finish with some notes of roast mal and chocolate and cherries again.

M - Light body with medium carbonation. The alcohol lends a heat to this brew which also seems to make it very dry and light on the tongue.

O - Good as an American-Belgian dark. Doesnt really hold up against anything from the namesake country but its a great all-around and I could drink a few. As it heated up more great flavor came out so give it some time out of the fridge.

3.74/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown/deep red. Very nice to look at, I'm hoping it tastes as good as it looks.

Smell: Interesting, mostly I'm mostly getting a toasted malt smell, but there is something else, maybe from the belgian yeast. This isn't the best smelling beer.

Taste: Very nice. Toasted maltiness upfront followed by a spicy/peppery finish. Lived up to the nice appearance and suprised after the let down on smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium body

Drinkability: Very drinkable. At 6.3% ABV it is still very smooth and sessionable. I'll continue throwing a few of these back.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »