1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tower 10 IPA - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Tower 10 IPATower 10 IPA

good

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Overlord on 03-15-2009)
View: Beers (47) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 245 | Reviews: 103 | Show All Ratings:
DrLasers

4.72/5  rDev +29.3%

This is my favorite IPA. I tried this IPA in a six pack and thought it was exceptional. So I ordered a pony keg of it for my kegerator. Usually, after two or three weeks of drinking the same beer, you notice every flaw and fault, and eventually the great beers just become good. This IPA is the exception for my personal tastes. Three Ponies later and I'm still a huge fan because of it's unique balanced taste.

A: Copper-Blonde and clear. Heavy lacing and frothy head that remains.
S: Grapefruit, Citrus, bready, and floral. Hint of Honey-Suckle
T: Starts with Floral and finishes with Malty.
M: Moderately Hoppy bite but smooth finish.
O: In my opinion, a masterfully balanced IPA that hits several different notes to enjoy. Not your average heavy-handed IPA (even though i enjoy the heaviest hop-stupid treats now and then), more of a journey beer that keeps you in the clouds.

04-21-2011 21:55:36 | More by DrLasers
MrJohnnyDRocker

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Looks like liquid amber. Decent head that sticks to the glass. Smells very strongly of citrus, with pine coming right up behind. Tasty hops up front, pine undertones, and just enough malt to balence it out. The citrus and pine come into play again on the aftertaste. Malt becomes slightly more prominent as the beer warms, but not overly so. No boozey taste, for its 7.0 abv, but a pleasant warmth, and great buzz. This being my first IPA, i have nothing to compare it to, but a solid beer. About $7 or $8 for a sixer, so well worth the money. Overall, a pretty good beer. If you see it, get it.

06-14-2012 02:29:25 | More by MrJohnnyDRocker
Hugomarink

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Had this on tap at the San Diego airport waiting for my delayed flight to San Francisco. I had just spent a week in SD with some of my beer snob friends and one of them referred to Karl Strauss as the "Schlitz" of the San Diego beer scene. I didn't disagree with the statement because you do see Karl Strauss everywhere out here and the beers I've tried of theirs have not ben overly impressive.

However, with a selection of Blue Moon, Stella, and Bud Light to choose from I had to go for the KS Tower 10 IPA. And not a bad choice it was. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I had a 20oz. pour and the beer had a light amber color with a half-inch frothy head. Very clear with a good amount of bubbles flowing up. The smell was somewhat muted but had hints of pine and citrus just like you'd expect with this style. The taste was clean and quite hoppy, while smooth and nicely balanced. Not much bitterness but still had some depth and punch. I expected this to be a dull IPA lacking the spark and character you see in the best contenders in this field, but this beer holds its own quite admirably. Hoppy, clean, smooth, balanced - a very nice representation of this style. Also very fresh, which you might not expect in an airport bar.

I'd certainly have this beer again even if I was not stuck in an airport. Thank goodness the San Diego airport has a beer like this available to us weary travelers! While I would certainly take a Sculpin if available, this beer satisfied. Good job, Karl Strauss!

11-30-2011 04:01:44 | More by Hugomarink