Tower 10 IPA - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Tower 10 IPATower 10 IPA

good

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Overlord on 03-15-2009)

somnus, Feb 26, 2012

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

likesbeer, Dec 21, 2012

AWL, Oct 08, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a deep amber/orange with lots of carbonation. The head remains somewhat soapy, exhibits a little lacing, and stays around for awhile. Looks pretty good from the start; at least better than any other KS ale I've had.

S: Smells of milky ripe fruit (I'm guessing the malt is pretty biscuity), with a touch of caramel or even Oreo cookies! (Ok, maybe that was a little crazy, but throw me a bone here!). The hops are noticeable, but the malt is the dominant scent here.

T: The hops that were hidden come out on the palette big time! This is actually a very nicely balanced IPA. Not the sweetest I've tried, and not the hoppiest, but a nice combination of both. Reminds me of Anderson Valley's Poleeko Pale, but with a creamier consistency and a much closer balance. My only criticism of the taste is that the malt could come through a little more. Overall, not bad!!

M: Pretty good. Being surrounded by so many good California IPAs I feel a little overwhelmed, but my only criticism is that it could be a tad chewier. KS beers tend to be a little watery in my opinion, and this IPA comes as close as I've found with them to balancing out the mouthfeel. This ale needs a bit more sweetness from the malt and a slightly thicker consistency might help it.

D: The bitterness from the hops really lingers on my palette, which forces me to take another swig. Not that it's entirely enjoyable; a slightly cleaner finish would improve the drinkability. That being said, this is my favorite KS beer from a bottle. I've had their Red Trolley Ale out of a cold keg and it was fantastic, but I think due to the thin nature of most of their beers, the keg and CO2 helped round out the drinkability. Overall, a decent offering from a good local brewer!

cerveza5150, May 07, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

tsailor, Jul 25, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Look when poured into a glass is a hazy orange. Not much lacing but a decent head. Smell is pretty good... kind of sweet, mixed with pine and a mild lemon smell. I find the nose to be pretty appetizing. Taste is mellow... not a hit you over the head IPA but actually good and drinkable, with not much bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth, not over carbonated but not too flat. Overall a pretty good beer.

ely2000k, Dec 22, 2011

Yello5, May 01, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Having peeps that wander down to San Diego now and again, I've heard good things about Karl Strauss, but for whatever reason, I have never been able to find their beers up in the Bay Area. Finally, I've been able to find two: their Tower 10 IPA and Red Trolley Ale.

The Tower 10 pours a light pumpkin color with a small, but tight head, leaving little lacing. The nose is all about the malts, which surprised me. I usually like my IPAs to be more hop-forward, but the balance works here.

It started out with ultra-smooth caramel notes with a sweet citrus finish, but I found that as the beer warmed, it gained a coppery aftertaste. Perhaps it's the hops making their late entrance, but instead of piney/grapefruit goodness, I get to suck on a penny. Maybe this one's gone south.

monkeylovebeer, Sep 08, 2009

Lard_City, Oct 26, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a growler that I bought at Karl Strauss in downtown San Diego on Tuesday. Has been in the fridge since I bought it. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pour yields a 1/2" head. Beer is a copper amber color and very, very clear. Can see bubbles of carbonation floating up. Head is foamy and recedes to about half of initial size after a few minutes. Leaves nice lacing down the glass, though not like the lacing it leaves out of the tap, still very cool. As I drink, head eventually comes down to a thin film that sits atop the beer. Swirling the beer brings back head that is about the same size as the initial settling size (sorry if that doesn't make sense). I really like the lacing and the clarity of the beer.

S: Not much here sadly. I got floral hops, pine and grassy smells but that was about it. Wish there was more.

T: Much like the smell, pine, grass and hops. However, I like these taste in my IPA. Can taste pine and grassy notes and ends with a nice hop bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste for awhile. I can still taste the bitterness after a few minutes of not drinking. Eventually get a faint malty sweetness as the beer warms but even after two pints, still not much malt there. Like the taste but wish it had some citrus notes to it.

M: Good carbonation for being out of a two day old growler. However, there is a watery feel to it and feels rather thin to me. No alcohol taste to speak off. Tongue feels a bit oily after taking a few bigger sips.

D: Very different from on tap but still very enjoyable. It was a bit thin but that helped it go down all the faster. Finished my pint very quickly. I really enjoyed this IPA, maybe would have liked a bit more maltiness but a solid IPA I think. I will for sure be getting that again next time I come across it.

Swimsum, Jun 19, 2009

mobrado, Nov 10, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -11%

Mackenzie_Gloven, Feb 17, 2014
4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

On draft in San Diego.

A. Citrus hop assault with tons of tangerine notes

A. Light amber, brilliantly clear. One finger head with lacing persisting on the glass.

T. A firm bitterness underlies the citrus hop flavors. No harshness noted. No perceivable off-flavors to my palette. The malts are not very perceptible. This is a decidedly hop forward West Coast IPA.

M. Average carbonation for style. Dry finish.

O. A pleasant surprise on my trip to San Diego. This stood up well to the better known beers from Stone and Ballast Point I also had.

onewetpaw, Feb 26, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: nice amber hue

Smell: boasts a moderately resinous hop aroma. Hints of pine and other aromas typical of pacific north west hops

Taste: nice hop bite. Subtle hints of citrus with a more dominating pine like taste

Drink ability: drinkable. Not my favorite ipa, however, one that I wouldn't hesitate to order again

Overall: pretty solid. if your're looking for a kick-ass ipa from this company, i would highly recommend big barrel double ipa. if u can get ur mittens on it

crvcac, Aug 17, 2010

jamesjmacdonald, Sep 26, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

tgreenwood4, Nov 11, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Overall a really terrific ale.

A: Pours a deep unfiltered honey colour with a solid oatmeal colored head that provides nice lacing from top to bottom.

S: Lots of hops in this one

T: Deep rich flavours of nuts, bananas, molasses, and a slightly bitter finish. Much less bitter than Stone IPA.

M/D: Drinks down easily as an ale should. No heavy carbonation.

bacabuck, Oct 01, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Have had this one on tap several times. Good beer.
A: Nice golden color. Nice two finger head on it. Stays around for a while.
S: Nice and hoppy. Citrus notes. Melon, and mild fruit.
T: The hop kicks in with the smell, and goes down citrusy.
M: Bold hoppy, and milky. Love this one.
O: Great beer on tap and straight out of the bottle.

Armand, Jun 28, 2011