Microbrew Invitational

Added by Overlord on 03-15-2009

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 120 | Ratings: 413
3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Look when poured into a glass is a hazy orange. Not much lacing but a decent head. Smell is pretty good... kind of sweet, mixed with pine and a mild lemon smell. I find the nose to be pretty appetizing. Taste is mellow... not a hit you over the head IPA but actually good and drinkable, with not much bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth, not over carbonated but not too flat. Overall a pretty good beer.

3.47/5  rDev -5.2%

Having peeps that wander down to San Diego now and again, I've heard good things about Karl Strauss, but for whatever reason, I have never been able to find their beers up in the Bay Area. Finally, I've been able to find two: their Tower 10 IPA and Red Trolley Ale.

The Tower 10 pours a light pumpkin color with a small, but tight head, leaving little lacing. The nose is all about the malts, which surprised me. I usually like my IPAs to be more hop-forward, but the balance works here.

It started out with ultra-smooth caramel notes with a sweet citrus finish, but I found that as the beer warmed, it gained a coppery aftertaste. Perhaps it's the hops making their late entrance, but instead of piney/grapefruit goodness, I get to suck on a penny. Maybe this one's gone south.

3.81/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a growler that I bought at Karl Strauss in downtown San Diego on Tuesday. Has been in the fridge since I bought it. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pour yields a 1/2" head. Beer is a copper amber color and very, very clear. Can see bubbles of carbonation floating up. Head is foamy and recedes to about half of initial size after a few minutes. Leaves nice lacing down the glass, though not like the lacing it leaves out of the tap, still very cool. As I drink, head eventually comes down to a thin film that sits atop the beer. Swirling the beer brings back head that is about the same size as the initial settling size (sorry if that doesn't make sense). I really like the lacing and the clarity of the beer.

S: Not much here sadly. I got floral hops, pine and grassy smells but that was about it. Wish there was more.

T: Much like the smell, pine, grass and hops. However, I like these taste in my IPA. Can taste pine and grassy notes and ends with a nice hop bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste for awhile. I can still taste the bitterness after a few minutes of not drinking. Eventually get a faint malty sweetness as the beer warms but even after two pints, still not much malt there. Like the taste but wish it had some citrus notes to it.

M: Good carbonation for being out of a two day old growler. However, there is a watery feel to it and feels rather thin to me. No alcohol taste to speak off. Tongue feels a bit oily after taking a few bigger sips.

D: Very different from on tap but still very enjoyable. It was a bit thin but that helped it go down all the faster. Finished my pint very quickly. I really enjoyed this IPA, maybe would have liked a bit more maltiness but a solid IPA I think. I will for sure be getting that again next time I come across it.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

On draft in San Diego.

A. Citrus hop assault with tons of tangerine notes

A. Light amber, brilliantly clear. One finger head with lacing persisting on the glass.

T. A firm bitterness underlies the citrus hop flavors. No harshness noted. No perceivable off-flavors to my palette. The malts are not very perceptible. This is a decidedly hop forward West Coast IPA.

M. Average carbonation for style. Dry finish.

O. A pleasant surprise on my trip to San Diego. This stood up well to the better known beers from Stone and Ballast Point I also had.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: nice amber hue

Smell: boasts a moderately resinous hop aroma. Hints of pine and other aromas typical of pacific north west hops

Taste: nice hop bite. Subtle hints of citrus with a more dominating pine like taste

Drink ability: drinkable. Not my favorite ipa, however, one that I wouldn't hesitate to order again

Overall: pretty solid. if your're looking for a kick-ass ipa from this company, i would highly recommend big barrel double ipa. if u can get ur mittens on it

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Overall a really terrific ale.

A: Pours a deep unfiltered honey colour with a solid oatmeal colored head that provides nice lacing from top to bottom.

S: Lots of hops in this one

T: Deep rich flavours of nuts, bananas, molasses, and a slightly bitter finish. Much less bitter than Stone IPA.

M/D: Drinks down easily as an ale should. No heavy carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Have had this one on tap several times. Good beer.
A: Nice golden color. Nice two finger head on it. Stays around for a while.
S: Nice and hoppy. Citrus notes. Melon, and mild fruit.
T: The hop kicks in with the smell, and goes down citrusy.
M: Bold hoppy, and milky. Love this one.
O: Great beer on tap and straight out of the bottle.

Decent beer from Karl Strauss. Light amber color with a thin head. Aroma of malt and citra hops. Sweet malt with a hop aftertaste of citrus and grass. Pretty balanced for an IPA although didn't quite have the kick like some other SD IPA's. Still a good beer I'd get again.

A beautiful grapefruit peel smell that also transcends into taste. A solid lacing throughout. A solid head that dissipates quickly. One of the best and freshest tasting IPA's i have ever tasted A refreshing; yet dry IPA. Highly session-able and highly recommended.

Best IPA I have had in a while. One of the few "true IPAs" around these days, other than from Britain. It’s a traditional style IPA, which might explain the low ratings on here. I doubt most hipsters or American beer drinkers would know what a classic IPA is supposed to taste like. You can tell right away from the carbonation and the pale color. This is no "American Style IPA" but rather the classic style IPA. Which surprises the heck out of me coming from San Diego. Glad at least one American brewery had the cajones to go with the classic rather then trendy/modern style. Hat’s off to them for that. I don’t want to speculate too much, but I would bet the brewmaster studied the traditional English IPAs well. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the modern American IPAs, but it is just so rare to find a more traditional one. Nothing like it.

2.97/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Had a nice 1in head, a good aroma. Golden hazy color. Nice and bitter, it's a good beer but not one of the best. Good to try if your out and it's one of the only IPAs.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

bomber poured into a pint glass

a-copper/golden color, off white medium foamy head

s-mild piney hoppiness with a bready malt undertone

t-fairly balanced malt and hops, piney citrus that overstays it's welcome followed by some malts

m-medium body, kinda flat in the carbonation department

d-fairly balanced and easy to drink, but not very inspiring

overall-very lackluster IPA, especially from San Diego. I was expecting more aggressive hops than I got and although the balance is fairly decent, the flavors that lingered didn't exactly leave me wanting more.

3.01/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Reddish amber slightly hazy. Light cream head with decent lacing

S - Not as much as you hope for from a California IPA. A little grassy with some citrus notes. Some fruit and funk but no big hop notes and no real malt sweetness.

T - Sweet and malty with plenty of bitteness from hops. Also, burned biscuit and a bit of a dandelion or lantana.

M - Medium-light body, nice carb, clean and sharp

O - Seems a little less than an IPA. A lot of great flavors are at play here but the aroma definitely lacks for piney Northwest hops notes and the flavor does as well. Slightly lighter body allows flavors to be a little sharper and citrus notes to come through.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance: off-white colored head. Amber in color.
Aroma: hoppy, pine - maybe some malt
Taste: Hoppy/piney but balanced - not overwhelming.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.
Drinkability: Nice, great beer. Session style beer. I really enjoyed it.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a short-stemmed wine glass

My first Karl Strauss after moving back to CA from TX. Was less impressed than I expected to be.

A - poured a clear, bright copper/dark orange with thin (almost a finger) but foamy, whitish head which dissipated quickly but left a nice ring of lacing at the top of the glass.

S - nowhere near the hops I'd expect from a San Diego IPA. A bit of bready pine.

T - Bready with slight acidity. TINY bit of bitterness from piny hops. Almost tasted more like a Belgian wit than an IPA.

M - full-bodied and refreshingly crisp in carbonation

D - I'll drink the 6-pack over a few nights, but I'm rather disappointed in the brew. There's not a lot of character to it that really draws me back to the glass. It's not awful, but there's just not compelling, either.

Overall, a fairly bland IPA which I doubt I'll ever try again.

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

This is possibly Karl Strauss' BEST publicly-available offering. It's a well-balanced San Diego-style IPA with perfect hoppiness combined with a mild alcohol feel and light refreshing malt tones which linger just long enough to make you thirsty for another sip. There are overlying subtleties of roasted nuts, toast, resin, grass and herbs, This is a well-done IPA from a great German-style brewer.

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%

Most other reviews seem accurate - piney hops with subtle citrus, pleasant maltiness in taste and aroma, floral hoppy finish - so I'll be brief. Hop flavor lingers into the aftertaste, without being harsh. Struck me as tasting aged, in the good way. An interesting IPA.

4.74/5  rDev +29.5%

This is my favorite IPA. I tried this IPA in a six pack and thought it was exceptional. So I ordered a pony keg of it for my kegerator. Usually, after two or three weeks of drinking the same beer, you notice every flaw and fault, and eventually the great beers just become good. This IPA is the exception for my personal tastes. Three Ponies later and I'm still a huge fan because of it's unique balanced taste.

A: Copper-Blonde and clear. Heavy lacing and frothy head that remains.
S: Grapefruit, Citrus, bready, and floral. Hint of Honey-Suckle
T: Starts with Floral and finishes with Malty.
M: Moderately Hoppy bite but smooth finish.
O: In my opinion, a masterfully balanced IPA that hits several different notes to enjoy. Not your average heavy-handed IPA (even though i enjoy the heaviest hop-stupid treats now and then), more of a journey beer that keeps you in the clouds.

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle to pint glass. Looks like liquid amber. Decent head that sticks to the glass. Smells very strongly of citrus, with pine coming right up behind. Tasty hops up front, pine undertones, and just enough malt to balence it out. The citrus and pine come into play again on the aftertaste. Malt becomes slightly more prominent as the beer warms, but not overly so. No boozey taste, for its 7.0 abv, but a pleasant warmth, and great buzz. This being my first IPA, i have nothing to compare it to, but a solid beer. About $7 or $8 for a sixer, so well worth the money. Overall, a pretty good beer. If you see it, get it.

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%

Had this on tap at the San Diego airport waiting for my delayed flight to San Francisco. I had just spent a week in SD with some of my beer snob friends and one of them referred to Karl Strauss as the "Schlitz" of the San Diego beer scene. I didn't disagree with the statement because you do see Karl Strauss everywhere out here and the beers I've tried of theirs have not ben overly impressive.

However, with a selection of Blue Moon, Stella, and Bud Light to choose from I had to go for the KS Tower 10 IPA. And not a bad choice it was. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I had a 20oz. pour and the beer had a light amber color with a half-inch frothy head. Very clear with a good amount of bubbles flowing up. The smell was somewhat muted but had hints of pine and citrus just like you'd expect with this style. The taste was clean and quite hoppy, while smooth and nicely balanced. Not much bitterness but still had some depth and punch. I expected this to be a dull IPA lacking the spark and character you see in the best contenders in this field, but this beer holds its own quite admirably. Hoppy, clean, smooth, balanced - a very nice representation of this style. Also very fresh, which you might not expect in an airport bar.

I'd certainly have this beer again even if I was not stuck in an airport. Thank goodness the San Diego airport has a beer like this available to us weary travelers! While I would certainly take a Sculpin if available, this beer satisfied. Good job, Karl Strauss!

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last