Tower 10 IPA - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Tower 10 IPATower 10 IPA

good

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Overlord on 03-15-2009)

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

I travelled to San Diego for the first time since the 80's just last week, and upon learning of their growing craft brewery culture, I had to experience it once I was down there.

I had this on tap at the Karl Strauss brewery in Downtown SD and very much enjoyed it. It was very similar to other IPAs I've had over the years, and that's a good thing, as it featured all the aspects I like: it was clean, crisp, was nicely hopped but very flavourful as well.

If I were in the San Diego area I would look this one up again, definitely.

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance: Nice amber color with a one finger head that hangs around for a while before receding down to a ring with some good lacing.

Smell: Not overly aromatic. Hops are the most prominent aroma with citrus and a hint of pine. Some malt character in the background. Not very impressive but not bad.

Taste: The flavor is better than the appearance and smell led me to believe. Good bitterness with a rather smooth finish. Hops flavor is well balanced with the grains.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation with a body that is slightly on the heavy side.

Overall: An interesting, yet pretty average IPA in my opinion. Definitely not bad but not something that I would seek out again.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

3.96/5  rDev +8.5%

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a deep amber/orange with lots of carbonation. The head remains somewhat soapy, exhibits a little lacing, and stays around for awhile. Looks pretty good from the start; at least better than any other KS ale I've had.

S: Smells of milky ripe fruit (I'm guessing the malt is pretty biscuity), with a touch of caramel or even Oreo cookies! (Ok, maybe that was a little crazy, but throw me a bone here!). The hops are noticeable, but the malt is the dominant scent here.

T: The hops that were hidden come out on the palette big time! This is actually a very nicely balanced IPA. Not the sweetest I've tried, and not the hoppiest, but a nice combination of both. Reminds me of Anderson Valley's Poleeko Pale, but with a creamier consistency and a much closer balance. My only criticism of the taste is that the malt could come through a little more. Overall, not bad!!

M: Pretty good. Being surrounded by so many good California IPAs I feel a little overwhelmed, but my only criticism is that it could be a tad chewier. KS beers tend to be a little watery in my opinion, and this IPA comes as close as I've found with them to balancing out the mouthfeel. This ale needs a bit more sweetness from the malt and a slightly thicker consistency might help it.

D: The bitterness from the hops really lingers on my palette, which forces me to take another swig. Not that it's entirely enjoyable; a slightly cleaner finish would improve the drinkability. That being said, this is my favorite KS beer from a bottle. I've had their Red Trolley Ale out of a cold keg and it was fantastic, but I think due to the thin nature of most of their beers, the keg and CO2 helped round out the drinkability. Overall, a decent offering from a good local brewer!

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Look when poured into a glass is a hazy orange. Not much lacing but a decent head. Smell is pretty good... kind of sweet, mixed with pine and a mild lemon smell. I find the nose to be pretty appetizing. Taste is mellow... not a hit you over the head IPA but actually good and drinkable, with not much bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth, not over carbonated but not too flat. Overall a pretty good beer.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Having peeps that wander down to San Diego now and again, I've heard good things about Karl Strauss, but for whatever reason, I have never been able to find their beers up in the Bay Area. Finally, I've been able to find two: their Tower 10 IPA and Red Trolley Ale.

The Tower 10 pours a light pumpkin color with a small, but tight head, leaving little lacing. The nose is all about the malts, which surprised me. I usually like my IPAs to be more hop-forward, but the balance works here.

It started out with ultra-smooth caramel notes with a sweet citrus finish, but I found that as the beer warmed, it gained a coppery aftertaste. Perhaps it's the hops making their late entrance, but instead of piney/grapefruit goodness, I get to suck on a penny. Maybe this one's gone south.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%