Tower 10 IPA - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Beer added by: Overlord on 03-15-2009

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Look when poured into a glass is a hazy orange. Not much lacing but a decent head. Smell is pretty good... kind of sweet, mixed with pine and a mild lemon smell. I find the nose to be pretty appetizing. Taste is mellow... not a hit you over the head IPA but actually good and drinkable, with not much bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth, not over carbonated but not too flat. Overall a pretty good beer.

3.44/5  rDev -5.8%

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%

Having peeps that wander down to San Diego now and again, I've heard good things about Karl Strauss, but for whatever reason, I have never been able to find their beers up in the Bay Area. Finally, I've been able to find two: their Tower 10 IPA and Red Trolley Ale.

The Tower 10 pours a light pumpkin color with a small, but tight head, leaving little lacing. The nose is all about the malts, which surprised me. I usually like my IPAs to be more hop-forward, but the balance works here.

It started out with ultra-smooth caramel notes with a sweet citrus finish, but I found that as the beer warmed, it gained a coppery aftertaste. Perhaps it's the hops making their late entrance, but instead of piney/grapefruit goodness, I get to suck on a penny. Maybe this one's gone south.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

3.81/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a growler that I bought at Karl Strauss in downtown San Diego on Tuesday. Has been in the fridge since I bought it. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pour yields a 1/2" head. Beer is a copper amber color and very, very clear. Can see bubbles of carbonation floating up. Head is foamy and recedes to about half of initial size after a few minutes. Leaves nice lacing down the glass, though not like the lacing it leaves out of the tap, still very cool. As I drink, head eventually comes down to a thin film that sits atop the beer. Swirling the beer brings back head that is about the same size as the initial settling size (sorry if that doesn't make sense). I really like the lacing and the clarity of the beer.

S: Not much here sadly. I got floral hops, pine and grassy smells but that was about it. Wish there was more.

T: Much like the smell, pine, grass and hops. However, I like these taste in my IPA. Can taste pine and grassy notes and ends with a nice hop bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste for awhile. I can still taste the bitterness after a few minutes of not drinking. Eventually get a faint malty sweetness as the beer warms but even after two pints, still not much malt there. Like the taste but wish it had some citrus notes to it.

M: Good carbonation for being out of a two day old growler. However, there is a watery feel to it and feels rather thin to me. No alcohol taste to speak off. Tongue feels a bit oily after taking a few bigger sips.

D: Very different from on tap but still very enjoyable. It was a bit thin but that helped it go down all the faster. Finished my pint very quickly. I really enjoyed this IPA, maybe would have liked a bit more maltiness but a solid IPA I think. I will for sure be getting that again next time I come across it.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

On draft in San Diego.

A. Citrus hop assault with tons of tangerine notes

A. Light amber, brilliantly clear. One finger head with lacing persisting on the glass.

T. A firm bitterness underlies the citrus hop flavors. No harshness noted. No perceivable off-flavors to my palette. The malts are not very perceptible. This is a decidedly hop forward West Coast IPA.

M. Average carbonation for style. Dry finish.

O. A pleasant surprise on my trip to San Diego. This stood up well to the better known beers from Stone and Ballast Point I also had.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: nice amber hue

Smell: boasts a moderately resinous hop aroma. Hints of pine and other aromas typical of pacific north west hops

Taste: nice hop bite. Subtle hints of citrus with a more dominating pine like taste

Drink ability: drinkable. Not my favorite ipa, however, one that I wouldn't hesitate to order again

Overall: pretty solid. if your're looking for a kick-ass ipa from this company, i would highly recommend big barrel double ipa. if u can get ur mittens on it

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Overall a really terrific ale.

A: Pours a deep unfiltered honey colour with a solid oatmeal colored head that provides nice lacing from top to bottom.

S: Lots of hops in this one

T: Deep rich flavours of nuts, bananas, molasses, and a slightly bitter finish. Much less bitter than Stone IPA.

M/D: Drinks down easily as an ale should. No heavy carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Have had this one on tap several times. Good beer.
A: Nice golden color. Nice two finger head on it. Stays around for a while.
S: Nice and hoppy. Citrus notes. Melon, and mild fruit.
T: The hop kicks in with the smell, and goes down citrusy.
M: Bold hoppy, and milky. Love this one.
O: Great beer on tap and straight out of the bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -11%