2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tower 10 IPA - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Tower 10 IPATower 10 IPA

good

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Overlord on 03-15-2009)
View: Beers (47) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 247 | Reviews: 103 | Show All Ratings:
BeerAmbassador

Arizona

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a copper orange color with a frothy white head that offers little retention, but a bit of lacing. Smells like crystal malt a bit of citrus hop aroma bit the malt dominates. I actually had a strong aroma association of being at the home brew store with this beer. It reminds me of the malt bins and cracking grain in the mill. Not an unpleasant odor, but not one you expect from a west coast IPA either. Malty and full bodied on the palate this beer starts with a little caramel sweetness and finishes with some non desrcript bitterness. Overall not my favorite IPA but for 3.99 for the bomber I am not too worried about it.

07-25-2011 03:38:07 | More by BeerAmbassador
PolarBear3

Australia

3.31/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Pours a light golden colour with a large white head that dissipates a little.

S - Massive citrus including sweet pineapple, lemon, grapefruit. Very sweet.

T - The sweetness aromas seem to disappear and I get more of a mild bitterness, some grapefruit and lemon at the finish.

M - A little over carbonated although light to medium bodied

O - Actually don't mind it but lacks a little in full flavour for an IPA. Aromas upfront though are impressive.

06-25-2013 10:36:25 | More by PolarBear3
ThePaleRider

3.25/5  rDev -11%

A - A mixture between honey and amber in color. Decent, white one finger head that actually took a while to settle down leaving some legs on the glass.

S - Very floral, and kind of a tropical sweetness to it. Doesn't smell like a hop blast as there are a good amount of malts lingering around.

T - Pretty bitter without having much flavor in the way of hops. Surprised the hops aren't as fruity/sweet as the beer smells. Lots of malts on the back end, almost finishes like a pilsner. After taste lingers around for a while, which isn't that great.

M - Medium bodied with an impressive amount of carbonation. I actually wish more breweries would have this much carbonation in their IPA's.

O - Just an ok beer. For an IPA the price is right, but could really benefit from adding a little citrus or pine into the mix.

10-18-2012 06:47:49 | More by ThePaleRider
Celtics17

4.61/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Love the sweetness in this beer, peach, pineapple is a strong force in this beer. The smell is sweet. Not very piney, very sweet. Better than expected.

Appearance: a light, clear amber-gold colour with a thin, frothy head. Minimal retention and lacing.

Aroma: definite citrus and pine on the nose.

Just good a good IPA

10-26-2013 08:21:56 | More by Celtics17
timtwoface

British Columbia (Canada)

I travelled to San Diego for the first time since the 80's just last week, and upon learning of their growing craft brewery culture, I had to experience it once I was down there.

I had this on tap at the Karl Strauss brewery in Downtown SD and very much enjoyed it. It was very similar to other IPAs I've had over the years, and that's a good thing, as it featured all the aspects I like: it was clean, crisp, was nicely hopped but very flavourful as well.

If I were in the San Diego area I would look this one up again, definitely.

02-20-2012 02:54:47 | More by timtwoface
TaySuth

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance: Nice amber color with a one finger head that hangs around for a while before receding down to a ring with some good lacing.

Smell: Not overly aromatic. Hops are the most prominent aroma with citrus and a hint of pine. Some malt character in the background. Not very impressive but not bad.

Taste: The flavor is better than the appearance and smell led me to believe. Good bitterness with a rather smooth finish. Hops flavor is well balanced with the grains.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation with a body that is slightly on the heavy side.

Overall: An interesting, yet pretty average IPA in my opinion. Definitely not bad but not something that I would seek out again.

02-19-2012 06:21:00 | More by TaySuth
Roeters

On Tap at the La Jolla, Strauss Brewery
A: Pours a golden/copper with a thin white head (by the time the server dropped it off at the table) nice lacing throughout the pint.
S: Piney, floral and a little earthy hop aromas with a bready malt base
T: Similar to the smell, mostly piney hops with a good hop base
M: medium body with a moderate level of carbonation
D: Well built American IPA, more of a balance between the hop bitterness and the malt base, so this is not the typical west coast IPA

05-24-2010 14:48:34 | More by Roeters
cerveza5150

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a deep amber/orange with lots of carbonation. The head remains somewhat soapy, exhibits a little lacing, and stays around for awhile. Looks pretty good from the start; at least better than any other KS ale I've had.

S: Smells of milky ripe fruit (I'm guessing the malt is pretty biscuity), with a touch of caramel or even Oreo cookies! (Ok, maybe that was a little crazy, but throw me a bone here!). The hops are noticeable, but the malt is the dominant scent here.

T: The hops that were hidden come out on the palette big time! This is actually a very nicely balanced IPA. Not the sweetest I've tried, and not the hoppiest, but a nice combination of both. Reminds me of Anderson Valley's Poleeko Pale, but with a creamier consistency and a much closer balance. My only criticism of the taste is that the malt could come through a little more. Overall, not bad!!

M: Pretty good. Being surrounded by so many good California IPAs I feel a little overwhelmed, but my only criticism is that it could be a tad chewier. KS beers tend to be a little watery in my opinion, and this IPA comes as close as I've found with them to balancing out the mouthfeel. This ale needs a bit more sweetness from the malt and a slightly thicker consistency might help it.

D: The bitterness from the hops really lingers on my palette, which forces me to take another swig. Not that it's entirely enjoyable; a slightly cleaner finish would improve the drinkability. That being said, this is my favorite KS beer from a bottle. I've had their Red Trolley Ale out of a cold keg and it was fantastic, but I think due to the thin nature of most of their beers, the keg and CO2 helped round out the drinkability. Overall, a decent offering from a good local brewer!

05-07-2009 21:06:06 | More by cerveza5150
monkeylovebeer

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Having peeps that wander down to San Diego now and again, I've heard good things about Karl Strauss, but for whatever reason, I have never been able to find their beers up in the Bay Area. Finally, I've been able to find two: their Tower 10 IPA and Red Trolley Ale.

The Tower 10 pours a light pumpkin color with a small, but tight head, leaving little lacing. The nose is all about the malts, which surprised me. I usually like my IPAs to be more hop-forward, but the balance works here.

It started out with ultra-smooth caramel notes with a sweet citrus finish, but I found that as the beer warmed, it gained a coppery aftertaste. Perhaps it's the hops making their late entrance, but instead of piney/grapefruit goodness, I get to suck on a penny. Maybe this one's gone south.

09-08-2009 00:10:43 | More by monkeylovebeer
ely2000k

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Look when poured into a glass is a hazy orange. Not much lacing but a decent head. Smell is pretty good... kind of sweet, mixed with pine and a mild lemon smell. I find the nose to be pretty appetizing. Taste is mellow... not a hit you over the head IPA but actually good and drinkable, with not much bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth, not over carbonated but not too flat. Overall a pretty good beer.

12-22-2011 05:46:00 | More by ely2000k
Swimsum

Oregon

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a growler that I bought at Karl Strauss in downtown San Diego on Tuesday. Has been in the fridge since I bought it. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pour yields a 1/2" head. Beer is a copper amber color and very, very clear. Can see bubbles of carbonation floating up. Head is foamy and recedes to about half of initial size after a few minutes. Leaves nice lacing down the glass, though not like the lacing it leaves out of the tap, still very cool. As I drink, head eventually comes down to a thin film that sits atop the beer. Swirling the beer brings back head that is about the same size as the initial settling size (sorry if that doesn't make sense). I really like the lacing and the clarity of the beer.

S: Not much here sadly. I got floral hops, pine and grassy smells but that was about it. Wish there was more.

T: Much like the smell, pine, grass and hops. However, I like these taste in my IPA. Can taste pine and grassy notes and ends with a nice hop bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste for awhile. I can still taste the bitterness after a few minutes of not drinking. Eventually get a faint malty sweetness as the beer warms but even after two pints, still not much malt there. Like the taste but wish it had some citrus notes to it.

M: Good carbonation for being out of a two day old growler. However, there is a watery feel to it and feels rather thin to me. No alcohol taste to speak off. Tongue feels a bit oily after taking a few bigger sips.

D: Very different from on tap but still very enjoyable. It was a bit thin but that helped it go down all the faster. Finished my pint very quickly. I really enjoyed this IPA, maybe would have liked a bit more maltiness but a solid IPA I think. I will for sure be getting that again next time I come across it.

Serving type: growler

06-19-2009 02:14:41 | More by Swimsum
2beerdogs

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice to see Karl Strauss is producing beers with a bit o' gonads, finally.
Nice appearance, amber-hued. Good nose. Got a bit of earth with the citrus hop notes. Taste clean, hops are mostly coming through with a citrus meets a hint of...maybe pine. Finishes nicely, overall a consistent delivery of flavor.
After many years, I am willing to go back and give a few more tries to K Strauss. Happy to see them grow & expand their offerings.

04-15-2012 21:32:35 | More by 2beerdogs
onewetpaw

Tennessee

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

On draft in San Diego.

A. Citrus hop assault with tons of tangerine notes

A. Light amber, brilliantly clear. One finger head with lacing persisting on the glass.

T. A firm bitterness underlies the citrus hop flavors. No harshness noted. No perceivable off-flavors to my palette. The malts are not very perceptible. This is a decidedly hop forward West Coast IPA.

M. Average carbonation for style. Dry finish.

O. A pleasant surprise on my trip to San Diego. This stood up well to the better known beers from Stone and Ballast Point I also had.

02-26-2012 13:03:44 | More by onewetpaw
Popp24

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip.

A - Amber with white head that goes away quick.

S - I smell more malts than hops. Nothing else really here.

T - Starts malty and kinda soapy and finishes with bitterness from hops.

M - Probably the best part. Kinda oily and glides down easy.

O - Not bad but nothing I would seek out in the future.

02-05-2012 04:44:42 | More by Popp24
bacabuck

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Overall a really terrific ale.

A: Pours a deep unfiltered honey colour with a solid oatmeal colored head that provides nice lacing from top to bottom.

S: Lots of hops in this one

T: Deep rich flavours of nuts, bananas, molasses, and a slightly bitter finish. Much less bitter than Stone IPA.

M/D: Drinks down easily as an ale should. No heavy carbonation.

10-01-2009 04:06:47 | More by bacabuck
crvcac

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: nice amber hue

Smell: boasts a moderately resinous hop aroma. Hints of pine and other aromas typical of pacific north west hops

Taste: nice hop bite. Subtle hints of citrus with a more dominating pine like taste

Drink ability: drinkable. Not my favorite ipa, however, one that I wouldn't hesitate to order again

Overall: pretty solid. if your're looking for a kick-ass ipa from this company, i would highly recommend big barrel double ipa. if u can get ur mittens on it

08-17-2010 15:30:42 | More by crvcac
Armand

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Have had this one on tap several times. Good beer.
A: Nice golden color. Nice two finger head on it. Stays around for a while.
S: Nice and hoppy. Citrus notes. Melon, and mild fruit.
T: The hop kicks in with the smell, and goes down citrusy.
M: Bold hoppy, and milky. Love this one.
O: Great beer on tap and straight out of the bottle.

06-28-2011 00:31:13 | More by Armand
flydudehsv

Decent beer from Karl Strauss. Light amber color with a thin head. Aroma of malt and citra hops. Sweet malt with a hop aftertaste of citrus and grass. Pretty balanced for an IPA although didn't quite have the kick like some other SD IPA's. Still a good beer I'd get again.

01-26-2013 09:46:03 | More by flydudehsv
neilgavigan

3.03/5  rDev -17%

A - Reddish amber slightly hazy. Light cream head with decent lacing

S - Not as much as you hope for from a California IPA. A little grassy with some citrus notes. Some fruit and funk but no big hop notes and no real malt sweetness.

T - Sweet and malty with plenty of bitteness from hops. Also, burned biscuit and a bit of a dandelion or lantana.

M - Medium-light body, nice carb, clean and sharp

O - Seems a little less than an IPA. A lot of great flavors are at play here but the aroma definitely lacks for piney Northwest hops notes and the flavor does as well. Slightly lighter body allows flavors to be a little sharper and citrus notes to come through.

12-25-2010 23:40:09 | More by neilgavigan
vertigelt1

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a short-stemmed wine glass

My first Karl Strauss after moving back to CA from TX. Was less impressed than I expected to be.

A - poured a clear, bright copper/dark orange with thin (almost a finger) but foamy, whitish head which dissipated quickly but left a nice ring of lacing at the top of the glass.

S - nowhere near the hops I'd expect from a San Diego IPA. A bit of bready pine.

T - Bready with slight acidity. TINY bit of bitterness from piny hops. Almost tasted more like a Belgian wit than an IPA.

M - full-bodied and refreshingly crisp in carbonation

D - I'll drink the 6-pack over a few nights, but I'm rather disappointed in the brew. There's not a lot of character to it that really draws me back to the glass. It's not awful, but there's just not compelling, either.

Overall, a fairly bland IPA which I doubt I'll ever try again.

04-23-2010 03:12:11 | More by vertigelt1
DennisD

4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

Appearance: off-white colored head. Amber in color.
Aroma: hoppy, pine - maybe some malt
Taste: Hoppy/piney but balanced - not overwhelming.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.
Drinkability: Nice, great beer. Session style beer. I really enjoyed it.

02-09-2010 23:57:03 | More by DennisD
pigdog

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

bomber poured into a pint glass

a-copper/golden color, off white medium foamy head

s-mild piney hoppiness with a bready malt undertone

t-fairly balanced malt and hops, piney citrus that overstays it's welcome followed by some malts

m-medium body, kinda flat in the carbonation department

d-fairly balanced and easy to drink, but not very inspiring

overall-very lackluster IPA, especially from San Diego. I was expecting more aggressive hops than I got and although the balance is fairly decent, the flavors that lingered didn't exactly leave me wanting more.

08-09-2010 01:50:50 | More by pigdog
itfitz

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

This is possibly Karl Strauss' BEST publicly-available offering. It's a well-balanced San Diego-style IPA with perfect hoppiness combined with a mild alcohol feel and light refreshing malt tones which linger just long enough to make you thirsty for another sip. There are overlying subtleties of roasted nuts, toast, resin, grass and herbs, This is a well-done IPA from a great German-style brewer.

05-27-2010 10:49:14 | More by itfitz
mfaulk

4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

Most other reviews seem accurate - piney hops with subtle citrus, pleasant maltiness in taste and aroma, floral hoppy finish - so I'll be brief. Hop flavor lingers into the aftertaste, without being harsh. Struck me as tasting aged, in the good way. An interesting IPA.

11-09-2010 03:42:27 | More by mfaulk
Ryan805Beer

A beautiful grapefruit peel smell that also transcends into taste. A solid lacing throughout. A solid head that dissipates quickly. One of the best and freshest tasting IPA's i have ever tasted A refreshing; yet dry IPA. Highly session-able and highly recommended.

11-13-2011 07:44:20 | More by Ryan805Beer