Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic PorterKarl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: jsanford on 11-05-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter Alström Bros

I had been looking for this bottle every since I saw the thread on the forums here about it, since it sounded intriguing. Have not been a huge Karl Straus fan (though I have had most of their offerings) but have been enjoying their special beer releases this year. Also enjoy porters as a style, so I was pleased to find this one.

Poured from the bottle (bomber) into my Bruery tulip. (Which I use for all my home tastings, ironic in a way since they have the Partridge in a Pear tree, but I digress)

Pours a Deep brown (almost black until you hold it up to the light). A off white head rises a good inch or more, with good head retention.
Aroma's are of port, or light cherry, followed with chocolate & I get a bit hint of figs & vanilla, but very little hops.

Taste is more potent, but follows what the aroma's suggest. Figs, chocolate, vanilla, cherry, a hint of wood. With only two months ( or so I recall) of aging in the port barrels, the taste is present, but not overwhelming, which can happen in some -bal aged beers. I'm really enjoying this one.

The mouth feel is smooth, but not heavy, and the carbonation is consistent throughout.

Overall, a balanced Baltic Porter, with a nice finish of port (which I also enjoy) Thus far, it is my favorite Karl Strauss beer.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Pleasantly surprised by this one. I tasted it in the bottle first and it seemed a little flat but I'm glad we put it on tap. Deep brown in color. Looks a little more like a strong ale than a baltic porter.Plenty of aroma coming from the off white head. Has plenty of lacing and the booze is noticeable from the drying on the glass. The sweetness is not overpowering and a great surprise from a beer that you'd expect to be really hot from the smell. I would suggest this one on tap instead of the bottle.

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours very dark with way way too much head... Overflowed out of the bottle... Overflowed out of my glass... Smells fruity and winey. Some nice port smells for sure. Tastes Smooth and malty. The port comes through strongly and melds well with the maltiness of the Baltic porter. Very smooth and drinkable

3.9/5  rDev -1%

Robust Baltic Porter, aged 2 months in San Pasqual Tawny Port Barrels.

A - Extremely dark brown, almost black with some ruby tints and a foamy light tan head that has real staying power with really good lacing that sticks to the glass.

S - Brown Malt, chocolate, a little red wine and booziness, maybe a little cherry note.

T - Pretty good balanced porter, not much hop presence. Roasted brown malts. Very slight hint of raisins, oak, and wine notes to it. Really like the chocolaty finish.

M - Creamy, moderate to moderately high carbonation, a little velvety on the tongue.

D - Overall not extremely complex, but the characters that are there are quite tasty. Extremely quafable for the ABV.

Would have liked to see this with more time in the barrels, like 6 months to a year. 2 months was listed on the bottle. And maybe a little more complexity on the base beer.

3.9/5  rDev -1%

On tap at Small Bar 11-28-10

It poured pretty much black with a slightly tan head. Left nice lacing through out.

Smell was light of a sweet roasty scent.

The mouthfeel on the beer was unlike anything Ive had. To me it tasted almost chalky or of powdered cocoa.

The taste was more of a fruity sweet porter that was fairly light.

Ill probably buy it again once I see it in a bottle just so I cant taste the comparison to draft.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Came across this bottle and decided to give it a try as I have been impressed with several of Karl's beers lately. Poured the 22 oz bomber into my Bruery tulip glass. The pour was a very dark brown with a couple inches of soft tan head that is retained for a couple of minutes. When I was pouring the beer, even before directly smelling the beer I could pick up some sweet amber malts. When I followed this up with an actual sniff the beer smelled quite light, with some light malts and some chocolate flavors.

The taste however was much deeper than the smell. The malts are much more obvious than on the nose, with some dark fruit and chocolaty notes and a nice slightly hoppy finish with a taste of vanilla. I have to admit I was hoping for a little more woody port flavors from this. I am not sure if it needed more time in the barrels or just a higher portion of aged beer in the blend, but still a very tasty beer.

The mouthfeel is quite decent for a non bottle conditioned beer, with adequate carbonation that keeps it nicely balanced. Overall a very tasty beer and I would recommend it to a friend. Not necessarily my favorite Karl Strauss beer, but a very solid Baltic Porter.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Into a tulip, pours a large brown head atop a nearly impenetrable brown body. Plenty of thickness in the legs as I tilt, the head reemerging initially thick as I swish.

Aromas of candy, Tawny port, slight espresso, and sweetbread. Medium intensity; complexity could improve though.

Flavors ranging from port and roasted malts near the finish to caramel, pears, and kiwi spices throughout. Extremely sweet, with plenty of complexity as well as balance.

Mouthfeel is silky on the palate, but thinner in consistency. Doesn’t swell too much upon swishing, and as it warms the carbonation makes way for a little booze.

Overall, a tasty Baltic Porter with quite the novel idea: aged in Port barrels. Hah hah hah! It could use some refinement, but definitely drinks well for a Baltic Porter.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Dark brown cola, somewhat murky, light tan head leaves pretty fast. Some cling lace.

S - Roasted malt, spices and wine...

T - Roasty porter, sharp wine finish that is pretty nice.

M - Medium body and carbonation, the balance is a little strange to me.

D - Fun to try but not a session beer for me.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Los Angeles, CA as part of their Jingle Bell Jubilee.

Pours an almost opaque dark crimson brown with a 1 inch tan head that settles to a thin cap. Random dots of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, dark fruits, and toffee aromas. Taste is of dark malt, dark fruits, and some cocoa powder flavors. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good Baltic porter from Karl Strauss. I am glad I was able to try this one on tap after having a bottle of it a while back.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

Had this bottle tonight. The beer is ebony in color, with a nice mocha colored head. The beer smells of light chocolate and sweet coffee aromas, it has a small amount of alcohol and a very faint vinous/dark fuit aroma as well. I was hoping this beer had a much larger barrel/port aroma. The beer has a nice toastiness, chocolate, some light dark fruit/vinous flavors. There is some alcohol warmth on the finish as well. It is slightly sweet but not cloying at all. There isn't really any roast flavors, but the chocolate-like flavors fill that void. The best part of this beers flavor is in the finish when all the flavors express themselves. Again, disappointed that there isn't more port/barrel flavor. The mouthfeel is a little light, but it is also easy to drink. This is a nice winter beer and is a great beer to share with a friend.

If they up the roast malt a little and let the port show greater, this could be a really good beer, it's just missing a few things.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

So I'm not too familiar with Baltic Porters. I think this is my 3rd one. As the bud light commercials would say, here we go!

22 oz bomber poured into my Bruery tulip glass

A - Deep mahogany with ruby highlights as it's held up to the light. Pretty...my precious. Anyway, it had about a finger width of lacing that died down rather quickly, and it left some ok lacing on my glass.

S - Smells sweet, like candied sugar, and/or brown sugar. It's rich, with a tiny bit of roast going on in there, but the sweetness overwhelms most everything else. It's delightful, and pleasant, though a bit simple.

T - The sweetness on the taste definitely comes through. It kind of reminds me of Brown Shugga from Lagunitas. I would say brown sugar is the dominate taste from this. There are other sweetnesses in there, like the candied sugar from the smell. It has that touch of roast in there that makes it like a sweet coffee. I'm getting dark fruit as well, like prunes or plums. Maybe a touch of hazelnut...

M - Medium body with medium carbonation. It works, though my tongue is left slightly prickly.

D - It's a quality beer, though I'm afraid too much sugar from this beer might leave you with a headache in the morning.

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a bottle into a NB globe

Pours out brown and settles into the glass near black in color. When held to the light it is a nice mahogany color with some deep cherry highlights. Head is initially about a finger high and off white in color. Settles to a very thin spotty layer. No lacing is present on the glass but head does stay around for the session.

Slight chocolate upon the first few whiffs. Next I get mostly port and finished with a bit of raisins. Roast in the smell here and there as well.

The roast and raisins that were present in the nose really come out in the taste for me. However, the port never seems to materialize for me even though I got it a lot in the smell. I was really hoping the port would be more present. Oh well. No alcohol taste to this one which is nice. As it warms up, the beer finishes very nicely with some chocolate.

Decent carbonation leading to a bit thinner feel then I was expecting. Still, it goes down very smooth and finishes nicely.

Overall I enjoyed this. I'm going to most likely get another bottle or two and see if perhaps the port will come out with some time. I don't think this would hold up for the whole duration of the horizontal Karl Strauss will do with their holiday beers.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter from Karl Strauss Brewing Company