1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic PorterKarl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: jsanford on 11-05-2010)
View: Beers (47) |  Events
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 39 | Show All Ratings:
Retsinis

I had been looking for this bottle every since I saw the thread on the forums here about it, since it sounded intriguing. Have not been a huge Karl Straus fan (though I have had most of their offerings) but have been enjoying their special beer releases this year. Also enjoy porters as a style, so I was pleased to find this one.

Poured from the bottle (bomber) into my Bruery tulip. (Which I use for all my home tastings, ironic in a way since they have the Partridge in a Pear tree, but I digress)

Pours a Deep brown (almost black until you hold it up to the light). A off white head rises a good inch or more, with good head retention.
Aroma's are of port, or light cherry, followed with chocolate & I get a bit hint of figs & vanilla, but very little hops.

Taste is more potent, but follows what the aroma's suggest. Figs, chocolate, vanilla, cherry, a hint of wood. With only two months ( or so I recall) of aging in the port barrels, the taste is present, but not overwhelming, which can happen in some -bal aged beers. I'm really enjoying this one.

The mouth feel is smooth, but not heavy, and the carbonation is consistent throughout.

Overall, a balanced Baltic Porter, with a nice finish of port (which I also enjoy) Thus far, it is my favorite Karl Strauss beer.

12-15-2010 19:51:46 | More by Retsinis
SanDiegoBeerLove

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark Brown with lighter highlights and a finger and half of Tan head that faded quick. Very little lacing as the wateriness of the beer precludes it.

S - Smells of Cherry, Cocoa, Brown Sugar, and slight Bourbon

T - Tastes of Cherry, Brown Sugar, Alcohol, Red Wine, and slight Port.

M - Carbonation is good, Bitterness is a little much, and it is a little too sweet.

D - This beer is not that drinkable but most porters are not. A great beer to have with some Ice Cream.

12-07-2010 06:13:56 | More by SanDiegoBeerLove
tjfinkle

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Came across this bottle and decided to give it a try as I have been impressed with several of Karl's beers lately. Poured the 22 oz bomber into my Bruery tulip glass. The pour was a very dark brown with a couple inches of soft tan head that is retained for a couple of minutes. When I was pouring the beer, even before directly smelling the beer I could pick up some sweet amber malts. When I followed this up with an actual sniff the beer smelled quite light, with some light malts and some chocolate flavors.

The taste however was much deeper than the smell. The malts are much more obvious than on the nose, with some dark fruit and chocolaty notes and a nice slightly hoppy finish with a taste of vanilla. I have to admit I was hoping for a little more woody port flavors from this. I am not sure if it needed more time in the barrels or just a higher portion of aged beer in the blend, but still a very tasty beer.

The mouthfeel is quite decent for a non bottle conditioned beer, with adequate carbonation that keeps it nicely balanced. Overall a very tasty beer and I would recommend it to a friend. Not necessarily my favorite Karl Strauss beer, but a very solid Baltic Porter.

12-01-2010 03:18:43 | More by tjfinkle
crvcac

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Dark brown with a tan, thick creamy head.

Aroma: Wonderful bouquet of dark fruits, hints of expresso and light dark chocolate. Slight spice

Taste: A lot is going on here. Boasts a complex mixture of dark fruits, roasted coffee like flavors (minus the astringency), touch of chocolate, oakiness from the barrel aging? Wonderful mixture for a winter warmer.

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth. The abv is just right for a Baltic porter. Just the right kick to bring on that nice winter
Coat we all seek from a good winter warmer.

Drinkability: Highly quaffable. Pour me another please.

11-29-2010 17:15:24 | More by crvcac
hoptrip619

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

I picked this up from KnB cellars the other day. The packaging looked sharp and the copy made the beer sound incredible.

A: Pours deep dark brown with an espresso-like head that dissipates quickly.

S: Aroma is almost entirely chocolate and dark fruits. I didn't get much espresso and the oak is very subtle.

T: Much like the aroma, the flavor is primarily chocolate and dark fruits (plums, raisins). There is a very subtle port flavor that comes through in the finish. I'd like to see more of a port character.

M: Medium with a velvety texture. Not as heavy as I expected.

D: Overall this s a nice beer, I'm glad I picked up a few extras.

11-27-2010 17:47:52 | More by hoptrip619
WeeObese

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Had this bottle tonight. The beer is ebony in color, with a nice mocha colored head. The beer smells of light chocolate and sweet coffee aromas, it has a small amount of alcohol and a very faint vinous/dark fuit aroma as well. I was hoping this beer had a much larger barrel/port aroma. The beer has a nice toastiness, chocolate, some light dark fruit/vinous flavors. There is some alcohol warmth on the finish as well. It is slightly sweet but not cloying at all. There isn't really any roast flavors, but the chocolate-like flavors fill that void. The best part of this beers flavor is in the finish when all the flavors express themselves. Again, disappointed that there isn't more port/barrel flavor. The mouthfeel is a little light, but it is also easy to drink. This is a nice winter beer and is a great beer to share with a friend.

If they up the roast malt a little and let the port show greater, this could be a really good beer, it's just missing a few things.

11-27-2010 04:55:13 | More by WeeObese
lou91

2.33/5  rDev -40.7%

Wow can't believe that I'm the first to review this beer. On paper this looked like a great new beer for the holidays. Sadly, it was far from great. The baltic porter was more like a black pale ale with the port adding little. As it warms it did not get any better - still very thin and strangely sweet. Other brewers should try this combo and see if it works but this one does not. I paid 8 bucks and that was plenty.

11-25-2010 06:12:59 | More by lou91
UCLABrewN84

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Los Angeles, CA as part of their Jingle Bell Jubilee.

Pours an almost opaque dark crimson brown with a 1 inch tan head that settles to a thin cap. Random dots of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, dark fruits, and toffee aromas. Taste is of dark malt, dark fruits, and some cocoa powder flavors. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good Baltic porter from Karl Strauss. I am glad I was able to try this one on tap after having a bottle of it a while back.

12-11-2011 19:47:07 | More by UCLABrewN84
HopHead84

01/07/2011

On tap at Churchill's and served in a tulip.

A: Crimson tinged deep brown with a large frothy light brown head.

S: Served extremely cold. It took quite a while to warm up. The two months in Tawny Port barrels certainly left a mark. Notes of grape and plum are pronounced, it's quite vinous, and these aromas meld well with the chocolate, light roast, and restrained espresso. I detect date and fig as well.

F: Lightly roasted, with prominent notes of grape and plum. There's a dash of espresso, and I detect light chocolate notes. I think there are dates in here as well. The finish exhibits drying oak and a little warming, with a touch of alcohol flavor. Overall it's sweet, but not really close to cloying.

M: Upper medium body with upper moderate draft carbonation. Mouthfeel is creamy and sticky.

Overall: A very nice beer. If there were 4.25s I'd be giving a few of those out. Recommended.

01-11-2011 15:27:35 | More by HopHead84
GarthDanielson

Poured on-tap at the San Diego Brewing Co brewpub. They had it for one of their guest taps, which was fortunate, because they were out when we were at Karl Strauss. The beer pours a dark black with brown-amber highlights and a thick, foamy tan head. The smell of the beer is heavy in coconut and chocolate. The taste of the beer is crisp, with undertones of coffee to boast the chocolate forward flavors. There is very subtle coconut notes on the aftertaste. Crisp, short, and bitter finish. The beer is very smooth and round. Pretty robust flavors that balance together well to make a very enjoyable, drinkable holiday beer.

01-09-2011 23:57:12 | More by GarthDanielson
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Parrot in a palm tree has a dark brown body that borders on black due to the fact that it is opaque. Great looking brown head, large and solid with good retention and lacing.

The aroma is quite good, with dark fruit smells of dates and figs that obviously comes from the port barrels. There is also some chocolate malt and sweetness in there.

Parrot in a Palm Tree has lots of fruitiness, which comes from both the port and the yeast. I'm guessing this is an ale yeast (Baltic Porters go both ways) due to the fruit notes. The barrel notes are definitely appreciable, with dark fruits, oak and a hint of vanilla. I think a little more time in the barrel would have been nice though. The malt base is just as strong as the barrel flavors, with a little bit of roasted malts, a good dose of chocolate and some general sweetness. Just a hint of spicy hops.

The mouthfeel is medium in both body, but the carbonation is very good and lends a slight creaminess to the beer.

Not a bad beer at all, I enjoy most things that come out of port barrels though. Easy to drink considering the ABV, but not interesting enough for me to want more than one.

01-08-2011 16:40:19 | More by Hojaminbag
Halcyondays

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours brown with a light white head, spots of lace.

S: Oaky, malt (chocolate), some vinous notes.

T: Dark chocolate predominately with nice barrel integration into the overall flavour. Not as big or as interesting as I think a BA Baltic Porter should, but still a nice tasting brew.

M: Smooth, full-bodied, creamy, soft carbonation.

D: A beer I liked, but had nothing to offer to keep my attention. Worth a try though on-tap I'd say.

12-15-2010 03:16:30 | More by Halcyondays
SDHoffers

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Pleasantly surprised by this one. I tasted it in the bottle first and it seemed a little flat but I'm glad we put it on tap. Deep brown in color. Looks a little more like a strong ale than a baltic porter.Plenty of aroma coming from the off white head. Has plenty of lacing and the booze is noticeable from the drying on the glass. The sweetness is not overpowering and a great surprise from a beer that you'd expect to be really hot from the smell. I would suggest this one on tap instead of the bottle.

12-01-2010 22:45:46 | More by SDHoffers
Eriktheipaman

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

On tap at Small Bar 11-28-10

It poured pretty much black with a slightly tan head. Left nice lacing through out.

Smell was light of a sweet roasty scent.

The mouthfeel on the beer was unlike anything Ive had. To me it tasted almost chalky or of powdered cocoa.

The taste was more of a fruity sweet porter that was fairly light.

Ill probably buy it again once I see it in a bottle just so I cant taste the comparison to draft.

11-29-2010 01:47:40 | More by Eriktheipaman
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter from Karl Strauss Brewing Company