Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic PorterKarl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: jsanford on 11-05-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Robust Baltic Porter, aged 2 months in San Pasqual Tawny Port Barrels.

A - Extremely dark brown, almost black with some ruby tints and a foamy light tan head that has real staying power with really good lacing that sticks to the glass.

S - Brown Malt, chocolate, a little red wine and booziness, maybe a little cherry note.

T - Pretty good balanced porter, not much hop presence. Roasted brown malts. Very slight hint of raisins, oak, and wine notes to it. Really like the chocolaty finish.

M - Creamy, moderate to moderately high carbonation, a little velvety on the tongue.

D - Overall not extremely complex, but the characters that are there are quite tasty. Extremely quafable for the ABV.

Would have liked to see this with more time in the barrels, like 6 months to a year. 2 months was listed on the bottle. And maybe a little more complexity on the base beer.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

I'm not a big fan of Karl Strauss beers. They are a little too safe for me at times. That all changed when I heard about the Parrot In a Palm Tree. This is the first time I have ever when out searching for a Karl Strauss beer. I mean who wouldn't be intrigued with all the complexity they worked into this thing. I also felt it was my duty as a San Diegan to do my part and drink as much of it as I could.

The beer has a great fruity smell to it while at the same time having that sharp smell of a dark beer but its very subdued. A pancake like head forms on pour and sticks with the beer for quite a while. The flavor of this beer is really good. The very first thing I taste is the fruitiness of this beer, most likely from the tawny port barrels. Once you swallow you get a nice warm feeling and then you start to taste a coffee and bitter chocolate taste.

This beer is really good. I would say if you see it get it. I was lucky enough to actually get to drink a lot of this brew. A friend of mine had his wedding reception at the Karl Strauss brewery and it was all the Parrot I could drink. I think it taste better on tap than in bottles as with most beer but not by a lot. I'm going to try and get a bottle to age and try it a little later. Curious how the complex flavors might change. I hope this is a sign of things changing at Karl Strauss. I would love to see more adventuresome beers like this from them. My local stores are selling this for $7.99 for a 22oz bottle.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from the bomber into a nonic glass.

Pours a deep, dark, nearly opaque brown. Massive light tan head. Substantial lacing.

A lot going on in the nose. Figs, dried dark fruits, white or red grapes. Something like dates. Brown sugar.

The taste is a real surprise, given the nose. It's much more gentle than the aroma would suggest. Soft and creamy up front. Sweet, roasted malts, some fruits, and an acidic finish. Surprising and interesting. You can tell this one is aged in barrels, as the flavors of woods seem to permeate at every stage. Hints of port seem to be omnipresent throughout.

For the amount of head that comes from the pour, it is surprising how soft and gentle this beer is. Virtually no bite from the carbonation. Fairly full bodied beer.

Interesting beer and enjoyable. It is more laid back than I expected, but that is not to say this isn't a bold beer.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

#28
2010 bottle into a snifter.

A: light brown, slightly transparent looking down through the glass. A thin head that sticks around for the duration of the swirl. 4.0

S: really light. Candy, almost old ale-ish. There's a hint of the port aging, but not a ton going on. 3.5

T: follows pretty close to the smell. Hint of the aforementioned port, some sweetness to balance it out with some dark fruit. Pretty light overall, but not bad. 3.5

M: smooth, light, and good carbonation. By the end of the first smexpected though, the glass has become much flatter than expected and lost most of its carbonation turning a little heavier. 3.5

O: nice, but nothing that sticks out. I was hoping for more from the port and oak, but there's just not much there. Its definitely drinkable though. I would have again, but nothing to seek out. 3.5

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a bottle into a NB globe

Pours out brown and settles into the glass near black in color. When held to the light it is a nice mahogany color with some deep cherry highlights. Head is initially about a finger high and off white in color. Settles to a very thin spotty layer. No lacing is present on the glass but head does stay around for the session.

Slight chocolate upon the first few whiffs. Next I get mostly port and finished with a bit of raisins. Roast in the smell here and there as well.

The roast and raisins that were present in the nose really come out in the taste for me. However, the port never seems to materialize for me even though I got it a lot in the smell. I was really hoping the port would be more present. Oh well. No alcohol taste to this one which is nice. As it warms up, the beer finishes very nicely with some chocolate.

Decent carbonation leading to a bit thinner feel then I was expecting. Still, it goes down very smooth and finishes nicely.

Overall I enjoyed this. I'm going to most likely get another bottle or two and see if perhaps the port will come out with some time. I don't think this would hold up for the whole duration of the horizontal Karl Strauss will do with their holiday beers.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance: Dark brown with a tan, thick creamy head.

Aroma: Wonderful bouquet of dark fruits, hints of expresso and light dark chocolate. Slight spice

Taste: A lot is going on here. Boasts a complex mixture of dark fruits, roasted coffee like flavors (minus the astringency), touch of chocolate, oakiness from the barrel aging? Wonderful mixture for a winter warmer.

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth. The abv is just right for a Baltic porter. Just the right kick to bring on that nice winter
Coat we all seek from a good winter warmer.

Drinkability: Highly quaffable. Pour me another please.

A: Dark red, almost murky. Well carbonated with good head retendtion.
S: Milky, with some spice, and hops,
T: Spices come through from the smell, and taste. Very impressed with this one. Going to collect a couple for my cellar. Just to age and see what comes of this one.
M: Medium bodied and went down with a lot of good character.
O: Try this one. Really liked it. One of my favorite Karl's out there.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

Had this bottle tonight. The beer is ebony in color, with a nice mocha colored head. The beer smells of light chocolate and sweet coffee aromas, it has a small amount of alcohol and a very faint vinous/dark fuit aroma as well. I was hoping this beer had a much larger barrel/port aroma. The beer has a nice toastiness, chocolate, some light dark fruit/vinous flavors. There is some alcohol warmth on the finish as well. It is slightly sweet but not cloying at all. There isn't really any roast flavors, but the chocolate-like flavors fill that void. The best part of this beers flavor is in the finish when all the flavors express themselves. Again, disappointed that there isn't more port/barrel flavor. The mouthfeel is a little light, but it is also easy to drink. This is a nice winter beer and is a great beer to share with a friend.

If they up the roast malt a little and let the port show greater, this could be a really good beer, it's just missing a few things.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Pleasantly surprised by this one. I tasted it in the bottle first and it seemed a little flat but I'm glad we put it on tap. Deep brown in color. Looks a little more like a strong ale than a baltic porter.Plenty of aroma coming from the off white head. Has plenty of lacing and the booze is noticeable from the drying on the glass. The sweetness is not overpowering and a great surprise from a beer that you'd expect to be really hot from the smell. I would suggest this one on tap instead of the bottle.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

I picked this up from KnB cellars the other day. The packaging looked sharp and the copy made the beer sound incredible.

A: Pours deep dark brown with an espresso-like head that dissipates quickly.

S: Aroma is almost entirely chocolate and dark fruits. I didn't get much espresso and the oak is very subtle.

T: Much like the aroma, the flavor is primarily chocolate and dark fruits (plums, raisins). There is a very subtle port flavor that comes through in the finish. I'd like to see more of a port character.

M: Medium with a velvety texture. Not as heavy as I expected.

D: Overall this s a nice beer, I'm glad I picked up a few extras.

This was one of the best beers I've ever had and wish Karl Strauss would bring it back. This smoked baltic porter was just one delicious, complex sip from beginning to end. I still want more several years later ...

Karl Strauss Parrot In A Palm Tree Holiday Baltic Porter from Karl Strauss Brewing Company