2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tower 20 Double IPA - Karl Strauss Brewing Company

Tower 20 Double IPATower 20 Double IPA

good

good

Karl Strauss Brewing Company visit their website

The saying “less is more” doesn’t apply to West Coast IPA’s. Less is a glass half empty and Tower 20 is a full glass of unrivaled hop character – a Double IPA where more is more. In brewing this hoppy offering, we took the best of Tower 10 IPA and added more. An abundance of high-alpha Centennial hops give T20 its resinous pine-like bitterness, while Oregon-grown Crystals and Chinooks lend zesty grapefruit and tangerine hop flavors. Don’t hoard this hop bomb, drink it fresh and we’ll brew more.

(Beer added by: mactrail on 10-28-2011)
View: Beers (48) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tower 20 Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 54 | Reviews: 24 | Show All Ratings:
xmorgan

4.23/5  rDev +18.5%

I have been a big Karl Strauss fan for 10 years. I used to go to Southern CA on business once a month, and one stop always, even if it meant driving an extra 2 hours or so, was a mandatory stop at a Karl Strauss Brew pub. Not that plays in to this review,

I liked the beer mix and they had a suppressing good selection of beer for a chain of brew pubs.

Got the bomber of it from Willows Market In Menlo Park, the coolest market with a huge selection.

I have a beer refrigerator that is 50 to 55 digs, I like this for IPAs and most of my other beers here as well, save the Pilsner's (they go in the bottom shelf of the fridge).

Poored a clear golden color.
the smell was very strong alcohol and malt sugars. The smell preceded the taste. Sweet and alcohol with a back of the throat hit of hops. I like this beer but the alcohol hit is a lithe too strong, I would suggest a longer fermentation to mellow this out. Not that I don't like this sensation in say a winter warmer or Christmas beer, rather, then this alcohol taste is welcome. I prefer my IPAs and DIPAs to be less warming and more thirst quenching. I don't mode the ABV being high, I just don't want to taste it. The nice and in my mind saving grace, or the offset to this extreme was the mouthfeel left a pleasant soothing feeling.

I will buy this again, I enjoyed it and will return to it. The mouthfeel and warmth, would be a good IPA for taking to a cold Minnesota Foolball Game.

07-29-2012 08:28:12 | More by xmorgan
LegalBrew87

2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tumbler.

A - Pours a really nice burnt orange/amber color with a two-finger tan head. The head lingered for a minute or two and then completely receded. Great lacing.

S - Really disappointing. I was hit first with sweet, carmel malt and some yeast, and almost zero hoppy pine/citrus. You can obviously tell hops are in there somewhere but they were definitely not at the forefront like I would expect from a DIPA.

T - Again, disappointing. The malt is way out of balance and this tastes more like a strong brown ale than anything else. Very bready and yeasty with very mild bitterness. Almost no citrus, pine, or any other flavor profile one would normally attribute to a DIPA.

M - Decent, smooth mouthfeel but lacking carbonation. Not too syrupy despite it being overwhelmingly malty and sweet.

D - Very drinkable for the 9.5% claimed on the label. However, there are many other beers I would enjoy drinking over this one. Including many that are much more bitter with a lower ABV.

O - I don't know if I got an old bottle or what. There is no date that I can see, but I just bought the bomber yesterday. I get where Karl was trying to go with this one, but the malt is out of control. I appreciate a nice malty balance in a strong DIPA, but this was malt forward, middle, and end. I would not buy this again, especially in light of all the other "west coast" IPAs I have access to.

04-12-2012 01:31:05 | More by LegalBrew87
DRen323

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

Without a doubt this instantly became my favorite IIPA. Its not overly hoppy for an IIPA which was nice and it had a nice taste from the get-go. It was smooth, tasted great and I will definitely be going back for another 22 oz of this. I am not sure why others thought this was boring but its not. Its true that its not real hoppy others like others mentioned but dont let that prevent you from trying it. My wife who also likes IPAs like I do could taste the alcohol and wasnt a big fan of the 20 although she does like the tower 10.

03-11-2012 05:11:14 | More by DRen323
kevinho2

2.43/5  rDev -31.9%

Serving Type: Bottle, and poured into a proper glass, decent head

Appearance: Amazing amber color with a nice head

Smell: This is where things go wrong. Double IPA from San Diego??? No way, this smells like a hopless malt bomb. This is not what a double IPA should smell like.

Taste: This is not an IPA in the San Diego style much less a 2XIPA. There is a bitterness to combat the sweet malty flavor, but there are no piny, citrus, or floral notes. SDIPA, no way!!

Mouthfeel:Decent to good mouthfeel. It feels like the DIPA style, but it does not follow through with taste or smell

Overall: Not my thing. Taste it for your self. I wish Karl Strauss Brewing the best, they are getting creative again which i support 100%! Keep Brewing!!

06-01-2012 20:58:04 | More by kevinho2