Sleeman Clear - Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

Sleeman ClearSleeman Clear

Sleeman Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-14-2003

Sleeman brought you the first low-carb beer in Canada with Sleeman Clear. With only 2.5 g of carbohydrates and 90 calories, this one goes down nicely.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.75/5  rDev -1.7%

L: Piss

S: See above

T: Just the same

F: Way to much carbination

O: Not very good at all but I drank it cuz that's all I had :( It only tastes alright when super cold.

3.75/5  rDev +110.7%

it was very smooth taste. I found that it didn't have any after taste. the beer was very smooth and not bitter, at all. I had a medium week buzz after two beers, witch is all I drank. this beer is very good and I recommend it.

2.75/5  rDev +54.5%

It is true what the other reviewers wrote when comparing Sleeman's Clear to what is expected of a great beer. This beer, however, is designed to be low carb (2.5g) and low calorie (90) and not meant to be rated against a great beer. If you compare Sleeman's Clear against others in it's weight class, it is one of the better beers and is quite reasonably priced in Ontario, where I am from and where it is brewed. It is a long hockey season... good beers have 10x the carbs and 3x the calories at least... we want to be able to move off the couch next spring. Cheers

2.3/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

473 mL can from TBS; packaged June 14 2013. Now labelled as 'Sleeman Clear 2.0', although as far as I can tell nothing about the recipe seems to have changed from the earlier iteration. When considering all of the (formerly) Canadian macros, I generally place Sleeman a notch above the other two - but Sleeman Clear is a turd that has been floating in the punchbowl for at least 10 years now, and I can only assume that there is a very good reason for its score being so low. Served ice cold.

An aggressive pour reveals a pale straw yellow-coloured liquid, topped with one finger of fizzy white head that wastes no time while fizzling itself out of existence. Nothing remains on the surface; it basically looks like apple juice. The aroma is bland, but it manages to avoid outright unpleasantness by being so weak and limp that it's barely even noticeable in the first place. A faint wisp of corn husks, damp grains and apples are the only real descriptors I can manage. For a light lager, it's not that bad, I guess, but it leaves much to be desired.

Not much to report in the taste department either - not very grainy, but corn grist is a strong contributor, and that cardboard flavour I often find in cheap/light/ice beers is fairly noticeable. Dry finish that really reminds me of club soda, in that it has no discernible features whatsoever beyond being carbonated. Thin and very watery, with firm carbonation that provides this beer with a solid bite. It's easy enough to drink quickly, and I can't think of any compelling reasons to take your time with it.

Final Grade: 2.3, a to-be-avoided D grade. Sleeman may find that it will take more than a '2.0' slapped onto the label to convince those that were less-than-impressed with the 'alpha' version of Sleeman Clear that this apparent upgrade is worth a try. Let's be frank - this is a brew that I have seen (exclusive) light beer drinkers turn their nose up at on several occasions. This is not a very good light beer, being even more watery and flavourless than old staples like Bud/Coors Light. If you hate the taste of beer but still want to drink it for some reason, Sleeman Clear is your brew; otherwise, stick with one of the more well known light macros. Hell, Sleeman Light is orders of magnitude better than this.

1.78/5  rDev 0%

Yes, it is a pretty awful and flavourless "beer"... but what really can you expect for under 100 calories. It tastes like water but honestly I still think it tastes better than coors, canadian or bud light because at least it doesn't taste like skunk water

1.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Revisited this beer a couple nights ago, as I was offered and wanted to see if it was as bad as I thought it was. Labelled as Sleeman clear 2.0, not sure if the recipe changed, but I couldn't tell much of a difference.

Appearance - Very pale golden color, a little bit anemic looking, had it from the bottle but my guess is you wouldn't get much head on this beer. Clear with minimal carbonation.

Smell - A faint grainy aroma is all I can pick up. Nothing strange but not much of anything. AAL's smell extremely aromatic compared to this.

Taste - There's nothing off here, but there's just well nothing here at all. Tastes light water, with a slight lagery additive.

Mouthfeel -Limp and light.

Overall - I know light lagers are supposed to be light, but at least most of them sort of have some flavor. It's better than I remember, but that's about all I can positive.

1.7/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

341ml bottle poured into pint glass 28/3/13

A very pale straw yellow with some large bubbles but not whole lot in the way of head or lace

S quite skunky with some soggy rice cake, kinda smells like moldy dope and rotten green apple, quite gross really

T much like the smell but with some cardboard

M thin and watery and almost foamy, cardboard and skunk on the finish

O I don't dish out scores below 2 all that often but this one earned a few of them

it lived up to the hype I suppose, well deserving of its place in the bottom 25

1.6/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: It has a clear pale straw yellow color to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and leaves no lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn, grain and pennies.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a bland macro taste of grain and corn.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a thin and watery overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavors and aromas. I expected a little better from Sleeman's.

Labatt Clear I call it.
Got an off case and had to complain.
Sue was very nice and sent me a coupon for another case.
Got the Original Draught. Had not tried it for a 3 years and its been watered down since then. Great new marketing. Too bad about the beer.

Have been drinking clear since it came out and the quality has gone down considerably in the last few years.

Perhaps overproduction?

Time to rethink the whole clear bottle thing.

I don't care what anybody says, there is no hop that resists degradation.

1.83/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Clear yellow colour with a small size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is a fair amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, corn

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains mixed with corn and that's about it... really not a whole lots of flavour to be found here. It ends with a grainy/corn aftertaste.

Overall - I was surprised to see this beer was still around. I figured if it's been on the market for 8+ years or so, there must be something to it. It is what it is.. a very very light tasting low calorie beer. Not something I'd drink again.

1.73/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Yellowish. No head.

S - I want to say corn, but it was hard to make out.

T- Watered down. If I had a kid who didn't appreciate beer, I'd give it to them. It was like carbonated water. My relative offered me his last one. I wonder how long it would have been in his fridge had he not.

M- Again I have to say watery... Reminds me of carbonated water.

D- It's cheap and it's light if those are your primary focusses. I'd rather spend a bit more and get something with good taste.

I hate to be so brutal, but I think this is far closer to carbonated water than it is to beer. I would say it's the black sheep of Sleemans.

2.28/5  rDev +28.1%

From the BMC-laden beer list (read: waitress' tableside listing) at a Kelowna local sport/pool hall, this was mentioned last, as an afterthought, almost as if they were ashamed to be selling it...

This beer pours a very pale (practically clear, I guess) straw colour, with two fingers of fast-disappearing thin soapy white head, which leaves a few specks of sudsy lace around the glass. It smells of diluted, watery grain. The taste is very mild white grain, and an echo of boozy, oily glycerin. The carbonation is on the low side, the body quite light, and watery, and it finishes with a slight grainy aura.

Well, for all the acrimony that this beer has received, this beer is actually one of the better of the style that I've tried, mostly due to its lack of nasty off flavours, not to any inherent flavour of its own, of which there is virtually none.

1.56/5  rDev -12.4%

This is the beer I drank when I was dieting! Low carb! This taste like water, and has no taste what so ever! Would not recommend this beer to a friend! You are better off saving our money and buying something a bit better in terms of taste and smell!

1.03/5  rDev -42.1%

I'm not quite sure what supernatural power persuaded me to buy a six pack of this stuff. That being said, here's what I have to say. It tasted like carbonated water with a pinch of beer in it. Feelt like soda going down. Made me feel bloated, and isn't it supposed to be "low carb"?

1.51/5  rDev -15.2%

To fully appreciate beer, I sincerely believe that every beer deserves a shot, even the ones everyone says are swill. That being said, there are sometimes when the majority is right, and this is clearly one of those times.

Appearance: Poured with a monstrously large amount of head that is reminiscent of a soft drink, and like a soft drink it did not stay around for more then a few seconds or lace. The body itself is a sickly pale yellow, that while clear, also seems to have small, lint like particles in it. The appearance of this beer looks disgusting and watered down beyond hope.

Smell: Honestly, this beer has no scent to it other then the light aroma of skunk. There is no malt, no hops, no wheat or other smells you'd associate with a beer. It also bears no corn, no rice, no plastic, or metallic smell you'd associate with a adjunct lager. Just a light aroma of skunk, which I suppose isn't outright offensive enough to earn a 1.

Taste: Subdued is not a strong enough word, absent I think would be more appropriate. It tastes like tonic water mixed with some grass, hay and maybe a single earthy hop flower that you can only taste, because there is no other flavor to the beer.

Mouthfeel: Watery in extreme, simply put and no real transitioning to speak of because has no flavors to transition to. Obviously leaves the mouth moist, and only gets then .5 because it leaves no aftertaste at all.

Drinkability: Drinkable in the sense that tap water is drinkable, and really the only times I would consider drinking this beer, would be when I would want water anyways. No gas or gut issues, but that's because it is like drinking water.

Final Thoughts: Have you ever had flavored water? Well this is bad beer flavored water, and that's pushing it. I suppose I can't blame Sleeman for trying to cash in on the low carb craze, but honestly, that madness has since past, this beer should be discontinued and never spoken of again. Buy Sleeman Light instead, it is much better then this swill.

1.23/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - certainly nothing spectacular about this one. Clear yellow liquid with intense carbonation, like soda pop. Not yielding any head after about 15 seconds, therefore at best it looks like watery ginger ale.

Smell - trying hard to pick up any noticeable scents, maybe there is some corn or hop extract in there, but frankly, many grocery-store beers (my term for de-alcoholized brews) have more depth.

Taste - the taste of club soda, a little smoother, with a hint of beer taste thrown in. Utterly awful.

Mouthfeel - smooth enough for the amount of carbonation, but not very crisp. Leaves a rather empty, pasty effect.

Drinkability - in the past, I might have rated this brew higher on the basis of drinkability. Not so today. From this point, I will avoid this product. Although I generally have respect for Sleeman's line-up overall, and I realize this is a low-carb beer, it really turns me off. I bought a 12-pack of these and thankfully there are only 4 left. In a month or two, I'll be free of this problem and will not repeat it.

1.89/5  rDev +6.2%

Piss yellow, no head, no lacing.

Smells like ... nothing really. Maybe it's a little grassy.

Well, it doesn't taste awful. But it doesn't taste like much of anything.

Thin as water and carbonated to the extreme. My throat hurts.

This is at least inoffensive stuff, and easy drinking, but it has all the bold flavour of Perrier. Why waste your money?

1.25/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured from bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Yes, this is clear. Faint yellow tinge. Thin white head that quickly dissipates.
S: I really have to get my nose right next to the beer before I smell this...very faint hint of malt. Almost no aroma here at all. Can't say it smells bad...just no smell.
T: Like flat flavored water. Terrible.
M: Thin and oily on the tongue.
D: Does this even qualify as beer? This is closer to flavored water. Maybe that's what they were shooting for when they said "clear". I got their variety pack and sampled them...no more Sleeman for me. I recommend staying away from any beer from this brewery altogether. Go buy yourself some good beer.

2.06/5  rDev +15.7%

bouteille transparente de 341ml.

bière blonde légère commerciale, couleur blonde blé avec une mousse chimique qui disparait rapidement, nez léger de moufette (bouteille claire) en bouche la bière est très légère, peu de houblon, peu de malt, bière de soif. se boit tout seule.

2.6/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Another one from the variety pk i bought.Pours a straw clear yellow with a white head with little bubbles and 1 finger head that hangs around just enough to get a good look at and minimal lacing.
I detected faint skunk mixed in with corn and old grass and maybe some lite herbs in there.
Taste is of a kinda bland water with some corn overtones and a lite bubbly feel to it,goes down rather quite easy and leaves a stale bitterness and lite dryness at the finish.
Medium carbs that does have some creaminess to it although it is kinda watery,easy to drink,premium price,much better alternatives out there for this price,but none the less....drinkable.

2.28/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured a light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was average retention and little lacing.

The smell featured a light adjunct corn with some subtle aroma hops.

The taste was upfront sweet cooked corn with some husky graininess.

The mouthfeel was on the thin side with an uncomfortable slickness.

Overall not a very good experience. Much better light macros to be had.

2.58/5  rDev +44.9%

The rating have failed me here. This is a big ass '0' beer, but that's not the way the rating will come out. The appearance was a light yellow gold color, clear, with a fizzy white head that dissapears quick. I gave it a 2.5, there's nothing really offensive or wrong about it, but nothing good either. The smell? There was none. But again, not offensive, just not... there. a 2.0. The taste, same thing. There was none. I really felt I was drinking seltzer. If anything I felt I had fresher breath after drinking this. I gave it a 2.0 because I wasn't impressed, but was it aweful? No. Totally non-offensive. The mouthfeel was fine, some good tight carbonation, and this was immensely drinkable. Really no problem whatsoever, so I gave it a 4.0. I'm not sure where this is going to come out to as a beer, I've had worse, more offensive beers than this, but this was so utterly non-anything, that it is in my opinion undeserving of review or drinking.

1.28/5  rDev -28.1%

Pallid gold that is darker than expected given the lack of ingredients. Artificial coloring? The color of the beer was, of course, easy to discern prior to the pour thanks to the clear glass bottle. Sleeman Clear. Clear glass bottle. Get it? It really doesn't matter since I can't believe that the hop content even registers. The cap is a small, dingy white mess that leaves a smeary collar of lace.

Clear barely smells like beer at all. A faint, stale graininess (that isn't aromatic enough to be nasty) greets my nose. On the positive side, it's easy to ignore when taking a drink; at least I hope so. I can detect an artificial, not quite chemical-like scent if I search long and hard. I think I'll stop doing that now.

This is abominable beer. Truly awful. I wondered whether Sleeman would be able to make it taste like anything decent given the miniscule carb load. I wonder no longer. Unlike some of the other low carb/low calorie offerings, this beer actually has flavor. I'm not sure that that's such a good thing though. Give me no flavor any day if the alternative is a bottle of this dreck.

Sleeman Clear, as far as I've been able to determine, is the lowest of the low in term of carbs and calories. Its 2.5 gm and 90 undercuts Michelob Ultra (2.6 gm, 95) and Aspen Edge (2.6 gm, 94) by the slimmest of margins. Does the brewery consider that to be a victory. Anyone who drinks this beer, or any of the others for that matter, will find out quickly enough that it's anything but.

The mouthfeel (do I even need to type it?) is as watery as... well... water. A light spritz of carbonation is preferable to an abundance of big-bubbled fizziness, but there's no hope of redeeming such an insipid feeling beer. In fact, it's insipider than insipid; it's insipidest.

The $0.79 price tag was simply too good to pass up to see what 'the first low carbohydrate beer in Canada' tastes like. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more of it. In fact, if I ever have another bottle, I'll require payment somewhere in the vicinity of... oh, about $10.

1.94/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I will grant this beer its credit as being light and unoffensive. It is perhaps something for the ladies or a hot summer day. It has virtually NO taste or character whatsoever. To some, the casual or on occasion beer drinkers this may seem favourable, and granted, that's who this beer is intended for. I however found it to have no distinction or quality of anything close to what I could enjoy or appreciate in a good brew.

2.66/5  rDev +49.4%

Pours a very pale yellow with 2 inches of frothy, white head. Very lively carbonation present. The head disipates rapid, but not too rapid into a ring around the edges.

Smells like a typical macro. Maybe a little less strong.

Tastes like a beer flavoured Perrier. No aftertaste.

Actually quite smooth mouthfeel. Goes down pretty easy.

This beer would be passable if it just had a stronger taste. I only recommend this if you desperatly want to lose weight without cutting out beer, or it's slim pickings on a hot day. I'll give it a higher drinkability score because the mouthfeel is so damn smooth.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Sleeman Clear from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.