Sleeman Clear - Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

Sleeman ClearSleeman Clear

awful

Sleeman Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-14-2003

Sleeman brought you the first low-carb beer in Canada with Sleeman Clear. With only 2.5 g of carbohydrates and 90 calories, this one goes down nicely.
to view more.
Ratings: 83 | Reviews: 43
Reviews by dherling:
2.58/5  rDev +42.5%

The rating have failed me here. This is a big ass '0' beer, but that's not the way the rating will come out. The appearance was a light yellow gold color, clear, with a fizzy white head that dissapears quick. I gave it a 2.5, there's nothing really offensive or wrong about it, but nothing good either. The smell? There was none. But again, not offensive, just not... there. a 2.0. The taste, same thing. There was none. I really felt I was drinking seltzer. If anything I felt I had fresher breath after drinking this. I gave it a 2.0 because I wasn't impressed, but was it aweful? No. Totally non-offensive. The mouthfeel was fine, some good tight carbonation, and this was immensely drinkable. Really no problem whatsoever, so I gave it a 4.0. I'm not sure where this is going to come out to as a beer, I've had worse, more offensive beers than this, but this was so utterly non-anything, that it is in my opinion undeserving of review or drinking.

1.28/5  rDev -29.3%

This is the closest thing i've ever had to carbonated water!

Extremely pale yellow colour. Plenty of carbonation. NO detectable aromoas, smells, tastes or nuances. NOTHING. Like i said, carbonated water.

If someone wanted low-carbs, why would you even bother with beer? It's like someone going to McDonald's and ordering something off of the "healthy choice" menu. If you really want to be healthy, don't go to McDonald's. Well, if you're really THAT concerned about carbs, DON'T DRNK BEER!

2.12/5  rDev +17.1%

Very pale yellow, transparent in the extreme. A slight skin forms as a head, but its gone in twenty seconds. Laces in thin rings at mid glass. Aroma is lightly sweet, almost brown sugar. Body is thin and seltzery, to much carbonation. Hops sense is practically non-existant, malt is basic and slightly sappy but is conteracted by fizzy bubbles and a deconstructed finish. There's nothing to this beer to make me want to drink it again, but there's not the chemical qualities I get from some of the low carb and lighter Lagers.

Labatt Clear I call it.
Got an off case and had to complain.
Sue was very nice and sent me a coupon for another case.
Got the Original Draught. Had not tried it for a 3 years and its been watered down since then. Great new marketing. Too bad about the beer.

Have been drinking clear since it came out and the quality has gone down considerably in the last few years.

Perhaps overproduction?

Time to rethink the whole clear bottle thing.

I don't care what anybody says, there is no hop that resists degradation.

2.28/5  rDev +26%

From the BMC-laden beer list (read: waitress' tableside listing) at a Kelowna local sport/pool hall, this was mentioned last, as an afterthought, almost as if they were ashamed to be selling it...

This beer pours a very pale (practically clear, I guess) straw colour, with two fingers of fast-disappearing thin soapy white head, which leaves a few specks of sudsy lace around the glass. It smells of diluted, watery grain. The taste is very mild white grain, and an echo of boozy, oily glycerin. The carbonation is on the low side, the body quite light, and watery, and it finishes with a slight grainy aura.

Well, for all the acrimony that this beer has received, this beer is actually one of the better of the style that I've tried, mostly due to its lack of nasty off flavours, not to any inherent flavour of its own, of which there is virtually none.

2.22/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Low carb beer. Very different, Dry, little taste. A light sample of hops. Good for cooking, passable for drinking on a hot day instead of a soda. Very light color, almost water with a bit of foam and bubbles. Premium price - I guess if you have a serious weight problem or illness.

3.06/5  rDev +69.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sleeman clear pours a crystal-clear, tan-accented, straw colored body beneath an average head of bright white foam that holds fairly well and leaves some nice lace about the glass. The color is slightly unusual, and I kind of like that.

The nose is skunky but also reveals some herbal character and a note of raw, wet, cereal grain.

In the mouth it's delicately crisp with a medium body and fine-bubbled, median carbonation that allows it to fade smoothly away from the palate.

The herbal, grassy, and delicately spicy hops meld quite well with the straw-like grainy malt; and it's nicely balanced with an underlying bitterness that dries it in the finish.

I'm not sure why it's named "clear", as Sleeman has used clear bottles before. The clear glass, however, definitely contributes to the skunkiness of the beer. Whether that's good or bad I can't say. It's technically a defect, but some drinkers prefer it and mistakenly believe it has a "European" flavor and aroma. Maybe that's what they were going for.

2.6/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Another one from the variety pk i bought.Pours a straw clear yellow with a white head with little bubbles and 1 finger head that hangs around just enough to get a good look at and minimal lacing.
I detected faint skunk mixed in with corn and old grass and maybe some lite herbs in there.
Taste is of a kinda bland water with some corn overtones and a lite bubbly feel to it,goes down rather quite easy and leaves a stale bitterness and lite dryness at the finish.
Medium carbs that does have some creaminess to it although it is kinda watery,easy to drink,premium price,much better alternatives out there for this price,but none the less....drinkable.

1.78/5  rDev -1.7%

Yes, it is a pretty awful and flavourless "beer"... but what really can you expect for under 100 calories. It tastes like water but honestly I still think it tastes better than coors, canadian or bud light because at least it doesn't taste like skunk water

Bottle: Poured a light yellow beer with no head or aroma or even taste. I don’t really know what to say about this one that wasn’t said before. It’s not beer but more like water with some beer tasting products included. This is a trend that will last for a year before disappearing, which should be a good thing really.

2.47/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this at the bar across from my house, it reminded me of my redneck hometown. Deciding I was in the mood for torturing myself I ordered a Sleeman Clear, and possibly the fact it wasn't as terrible as I have heard my torture was even more fulfilling. Pours a clear light golden, with a white head... I think... I barely got a chance to see it. Smell was a faint hops and cooked vegetables, with a touch of alcohol... Taste was a sweet front, with some hops creeping in half-heartly, not much of anything really. Mouthfeel was very thin, not as carbonated as I was expecting, but it was very watery. Again, not as horrible as I was expecting, but still... ick.

1.25/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Yes, this is clear. Faint yellow tinge. Thin white head that quickly dissipates.
S: I really have to get my nose right next to the beer before I smell this...very faint hint of malt. Almost no aroma here at all. Can't say it smells bad...just no smell.
T: Like flat flavored water. Terrible.
M: Thin and oily on the tongue.
D: Does this even qualify as beer? This is closer to flavored water. Maybe that's what they were shooting for when they said "clear". I got their variety pack and sampled them...no more Sleeman for me. I recommend staying away from any beer from this brewery altogether. Go buy yourself some good beer.

2.28/5  rDev +26%

Poured a light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was average retention and little lacing.

The smell featured a light adjunct corn with some subtle aroma hops.

The taste was upfront sweet cooked corn with some husky graininess.

The mouthfeel was on the thin side with an uncomfortable slickness.

Overall not a very good experience. Much better light macros to be had.

It pours a clear limpid yellow NOT necessarily NOT alike toilet water after relieving one's bladder. Aroma is reminiscent of a prodigious baby skunk with obvious defense potential. The taste is another story though, it's a complex mixture from the most distinct and unattainable sources of waters from 8 specific islands hidden to humanity until John Sleeman had a dream which revealed him the tremendous potential of their sacred water. Stuff of legend. Welcome to the top 10!

1.83/5  rDev +1.1%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Clear yellow colour with a small size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is a fair amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, corn

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste grains mixed with corn and that's about it... really not a whole lots of flavour to be found here. It ends with a grainy/corn aftertaste.

Overall - I was surprised to see this beer was still around. I figured if it's been on the market for 8+ years or so, there must be something to it. It is what it is.. a very very light tasting low calorie beer. Not something I'd drink again.

1.6/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: It has a clear pale straw yellow color to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and leaves no lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn, grain and pennies.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a bland macro taste of grain and corn.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a thin and watery overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavors and aromas. I expected a little better from Sleeman's.

1.03/5  rDev -43.1%

I'm not quite sure what supernatural power persuaded me to buy a six pack of this stuff. That being said, here's what I have to say. It tasted like carbonated water with a pinch of beer in it. Feelt like soda going down. Made me feel bloated, and isn't it supposed to be "low carb"?
Bleh!!!

2.3/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

473 mL can from TBS; packaged June 14 2013. Now labelled as 'Sleeman Clear 2.0', although as far as I can tell nothing about the recipe seems to have changed from the earlier iteration. When considering all of the (formerly) Canadian macros, I generally place Sleeman a notch above the other two - but Sleeman Clear is a turd that has been floating in the punchbowl for at least 10 years now, and I can only assume that there is a very good reason for its score being so low. Served ice cold.

An aggressive pour reveals a pale straw yellow-coloured liquid, topped with one finger of fizzy white head that wastes no time while fizzling itself out of existence. Nothing remains on the surface; it basically looks like apple juice. The aroma is bland, but it manages to avoid outright unpleasantness by being so weak and limp that it's barely even noticeable in the first place. A faint wisp of corn husks, damp grains and apples are the only real descriptors I can manage. For a light lager, it's not that bad, I guess, but it leaves much to be desired.

Not much to report in the taste department either - not very grainy, but corn grist is a strong contributor, and that cardboard flavour I often find in cheap/light/ice beers is fairly noticeable. Dry finish that really reminds me of club soda, in that it has no discernible features whatsoever beyond being carbonated. Thin and very watery, with firm carbonation that provides this beer with a solid bite. It's easy enough to drink quickly, and I can't think of any compelling reasons to take your time with it.

Final Grade: 2.3, a to-be-avoided D grade. Sleeman may find that it will take more than a '2.0' slapped onto the label to convince those that were less-than-impressed with the 'alpha' version of Sleeman Clear that this apparent upgrade is worth a try. Let's be frank - this is a brew that I have seen (exclusive) light beer drinkers turn their nose up at on several occasions. This is not a very good light beer, being even more watery and flavourless than old staples like Bud/Coors Light. If you hate the taste of beer but still want to drink it for some reason, Sleeman Clear is your brew; otherwise, stick with one of the more well known light macros. Hell, Sleeman Light is orders of magnitude better than this.

1.23/5  rDev -32%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - certainly nothing spectacular about this one. Clear yellow liquid with intense carbonation, like soda pop. Not yielding any head after about 15 seconds, therefore at best it looks like watery ginger ale.

Smell - trying hard to pick up any noticeable scents, maybe there is some corn or hop extract in there, but frankly, many grocery-store beers (my term for de-alcoholized brews) have more depth.

Taste - the taste of club soda, a little smoother, with a hint of beer taste thrown in. Utterly awful.

Mouthfeel - smooth enough for the amount of carbonation, but not very crisp. Leaves a rather empty, pasty effect.

Drinkability - in the past, I might have rated this brew higher on the basis of drinkability. Not so today. From this point, I will avoid this product. Although I generally have respect for Sleeman's line-up overall, and I realize this is a low-carb beer, it really turns me off. I bought a 12-pack of these and thankfully there are only 4 left. In a month or two, I'll be free of this problem and will not repeat it.

1.53/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Main highlight of the beer sadly is the appearance. Dull yellow with very poor head. The smell is almost non existant although picked up a hint of hops.

Taste, very light, very light body and very little detectable taste. Swished it around, tried to savor it, but nothing. It was like over carbonated rancid water. What made this beer more atrocious then other light beers is the after taste. Bitter and spicy, something that does not go good with water.

For it's price, this beer definatly isn't worth it. Even for light beer standards this is bad.

2.66/5  rDev +47%

Pours a very pale yellow with 2 inches of frothy, white head. Very lively carbonation present. The head disipates rapid, but not too rapid into a ring around the edges.

Smells like a typical macro. Maybe a little less strong.

Tastes like a beer flavoured Perrier. No aftertaste.

Actually quite smooth mouthfeel. Goes down pretty easy.

This beer would be passable if it just had a stronger taste. I only recommend this if you desperatly want to lose weight without cutting out beer, or it's slim pickings on a hot day. I'll give it a higher drinkability score because the mouthfeel is so damn smooth.

1.55/5  rDev -14.4%

Put simply, this beer is horrible. The best way, and likely the easiest way to describe it is to imagine a nasty lager; pour half of it out and replace what’s missing with a mineral water, like Perrier or San Pelegrino. Instantly you have what is called Sleeman Clear. Clearly disgusting. Avoid this swill.

2.33/5  rDev +28.7%

Geez, I feel like a bum giving this a decent review after all the poor ones below. Medium golden color, little carbonation, little flavor. Only minor hints of hops and corn can be detected, and it pours out to a nearly flat head. I am a huge fan of Sleeman Cream Ale, so i can't slam this brew all that much. I don't think it's all that bad, but the price is way too high (8.00 a six pack). I would recommend it for those on the low carb diet, other wise get the Regular Cream Ale.

1.39/5  rDev -23.2%

Sleeman's Clear is the first Canadian entry in what I understand to be a big market is the U.S.: low-carb beers.

Sleemans is low-cal, low-alcohol, low-carb (2.5g) and barely tastes like beer.

When my wife brought it home, I honestly expected it to be clear in colour. It's not -- it's a very light yellow -- but the resemblance to beer ends there. It tastes like Bud watered down, it's not very fizzy, and it's expensive.

I think I'll stick to water on my off days.

2.75/5  rDev +51.9%

It is true what the other reviewers wrote when comparing Sleeman's Clear to what is expected of a great beer. This beer, however, is designed to be low carb (2.5g) and low calorie (90) and not meant to be rated against a great beer. If you compare Sleeman's Clear against others in it's weight class, it is one of the better beers and is quite reasonably priced in Ontario, where I am from and where it is brewed. It is a long hockey season... good beers have 10x the carbs and 3x the calories at least... we want to be able to move off the couch next spring. Cheers

to view more.
Sleeman Clear from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.