Sleeman Honey Brown Lager - Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

Sleeman Honey Brown LagerSleeman Honey Brown Lager

poor

awful

Sleeman Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: canadianbarman on 08-22-2001

Smooth Sleeman Honey Brown Lager is brewed in the tradition of cottage breweries at the turn of the century. Some might think the tradition is outdated; we just think we got it right the first time.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sleeman Honey Brown Lager Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -15%

Just like all of the other sleeman's products. Thin.

When I randomly chose a beer I was glad to see something not so pale yellow. Maybe this has potential with its smooth caramelly color.

Nope.

It's really too bad about this beer. I really like the taste of it, but there isn't enough taste for the amount of beer in the bottle. If I could boil this down into some sort of beer espresso maybe it would rank higher.

C'mon sleeman's, I really thought you had something here.

3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

This was not the best beer I ever had, but I was a nice beer. The biggest problem is it's lack of character.

Color was brown, the head was very small and carbonation was low.

Smell was slightly smoky with some caramel notes, but I had to smell for a while before I came up with this.

Taste was OK, with some caramel, some smoke and a slight bitterness. All not very outspoken. It is a lager, so not very fruity or yeasty. Actually it was more like a dark lager and if I would have been blindfolded, I would probably not notice the difference between this one and a sweet lager.

3.32/5  rDev +12.9%

Not what comes to mind when discussing a Dark Lager, but I digress. Pours out to an amberish / brown color with a short lived head of foam. Some notes of lacing, and a medium low level of carbonation. Aromas of medium bodied malts, roasted adjuncts, some hops, a touch of buttery sweetness. Not bad. Taste is middle of the road, and goes down quite smooth. Honey maltiness blends with mild earth and grain, and a definite note of toastiness and sweetness toward the finish. Mouthfeel was unremarkable. Drinkability is average. Not bad, but far from exemplary.

2.9/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Clear copper with a smallish head. Bad retention and lacing.

S - Sweet malts mostly. A hint of some grassy hops.

T - Slightly roasty flavour. I guess this is the honey I'm tasting now. Wierd slightly cloying taste. A bit of bitterness in the finish and a mild aftertaste. Overly sweet.

M - Medium bodied. Harsh carbonation. Ouch.

D - Not bad, not great. I've had worse. I've had better.

2.88/5  rDev -2%

The colour of Iced Tea, pours with a medium fizzy head and looks like a soft drink with the bubbles sticking to the glass a bit. Goes flat pretty quick though. Smell is very much roasted and malty, quite sweet. I'm sure a lot of people are drawn to this beer because "Honey Brown" sounds "different".

Taste is very much as predicted, some roasted malts and a cloying caramel sweetness. There's a bit of hop bitterness in the back though. Not complex at all, mouthfeel is a bit bitey. Still though, I find the sweetness a bit too much, and the beer comes off as rather unbalanced toward the toothache-inducing. Some bitterness would have been very welcome. Drinkable, but boring and average to be sure.

3.55/5  rDev +20.7%

341ml clear bottle poured in a dimpled mug. I like the relief on the bottle of a beaver and maple leaf as well as just the neck label, but I still don't understand the clear bottle. I guess it's just their gimmick on the Canadian market.

Pours out a nice clear brown-copper colour with some carbonation streams. Head foams up nicely to 1/2 inch on the pour, but quickly disappears to just a thin ring around the edge.

Aroma is mild, but predominantly sweet. A bit of malt, caramel and honey in the background.

Taste is very sweet. Very sweet malt at the start with honey coming in after the carbonation rush. Undertones of floral hops to go with a mild malt bitterness at the finish. Practically no aftertaste, just a little mild malt bitterness.

Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Leaves a bit of a sticky feeling after the swallow.

You have to like sweet beers to really enjoy this one, but overall it's not bad. Smooth without any harsh qualities, this beer is meant for mass consumption. The best of the Sleeman products that I've tried. Also the best Honey Brown in Canada, or atleast better than Rickard's and Big Rock.

EDIT: Tried again May long weekend 07. Thanks to Mike & Jen for the brew. I stand by my statement that this is the best honey brown on the market, and the best Sleeman's brew.

3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

An above-average beer actually not too bad, maybe others are drinking skunked bottles.

Amber pour with a white head, no lacing.

Smells like sweetgrass, a hint of chlorine at the end.

Sweet honey flavor with the barest hint of roastiness on the edge.

Nicely carbonated, not too thin mouthfeel. Pretty good "just drinking" beer.

3.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From Notes. Consumed during trip to Calgary from 9/27 - 10/1. Purchased expecting somthing similar to JW Dundees Honey Brown. I was not disappointed.

Appearance: Poured for me into a pint glass, this beer is amber in color with a thin off-white head. Left minimal lacing.

Smell: Mostly malt, aroma of caramel and slightly sweet, but no honey.

Taste: Tastey with a good malt backbone and some hops, but mostly malt. Slight sweetness to it. I did find it somehat like the JW Dundees, but not exactly, which is good.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium in body, just enough carbonation, so as to keep it not overly light and bubbly.

Drinkability: A good beer that is easily sessionable. I wouldn't mind having more of this.

3.24/5  rDev +10.2%

09/14/05- Had on tap at Angus MacToogle's Pub in Invermere, British Columbia.

Presentation- 20oz pint pour from the tap into a pint glass.

Appearance- Amber pour with a nice 3/4 inch creamy head. Quite nice lacing as well.

Smell- Smell...what smell? This guy was almost scentless. Maybe a touch of dark malt and a bit of sweet honey...if that.

Taste- Medium dark malt flavor with a touch of honey extract. Has a bit of that macro flavor.

Mouthfeel- Lighter carbonated than expected. Goes down fairly smooth.

Drinkability- Not great, but it served it's purpose. Wen't decent with the shepards pie I had.

3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured a nice orange copper with a 2 finger head. The head ended up turning minimal, but left behind good lacing. Doesn't appear to be too carbonated.

Smells extra sweet, and maybe a tad citrusy.

Tastes of sweet honey...thats about it. Bare in mind it is a honey lager.

Mouthfeel was perfect for this style. Very limited carbonation, and a thin, but not too thin feel on the palate.

Definatly my favourite Sleeman beer. Perhaps I'd even say my favourite honey lager or ale. I recommend this as a good, and not too expensive session beer.

2.18/5  rDev -25.9%

Medium orange with a sparse number of fine floaters. Thanks to the clear glass, labelless bottle, I was able to tell that much when I pulled it out of the fridge. The smallish head of orange-tinted beige is fair-to-middlin' looking and persists for a reasonable amount of time. While there isn't a whole lotta lace, some manages to stick.

The nose is weak. It's minimally grain-like with a fruity overlay, but I'm reaching even then. There are no off-aromas because there's barely any aroma at all.

My first impression is 'nasty'. My second impression is a little more kind and is more along the lines of 'odd and artifically sweetened'. It turns out that honey, like the name suggests, is the natural flavor listed on the neck label. Why not just say 'brewed with honey' and leave it at that? In any case, the beer tastes like artificial caramel flavor and artificial honey flavor were added in significant quantities.

Honey Brown Lager is insufficiently malted, as evidenced by a thinner than thin mouthfeel. Why use malt when you can give your beer flavor by adding extraneous crap that's less expensive? Something else besides honey is in here, I'll bet. I know what honey-flavored beer tastes like and this ain't it. It's actually not that sweet and favors bitter by the time the finish rolls around.

The finish is brief (a blessing) and brings nothing new or interesting to the table. As noted, the mouthfeel is irredeemably light with a cheaply carbonated feel. At least it doesn't allow the flavor to sink in, but rather washes it away as soon as the beer is swallowed.

Sleeman Honey Brown Lager is my first Sleeman beer. I'm less than impressed. A brown lager (Euro dark lager?) flavored with honey sounds like a good idea, but this rendition leaves a lot to be desired. Rarely have I sampled a beer that tastes as artificially flavored as this one does. No thank you.

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

The honey ale looked very appealing when it was handed to me. It is a nice amber/brown color, and a nice thick head on it.

The smell is a bit sweet and malty.

The taste is a bit too sweet for my taste, but it was by no means bad, just not to my taste.

The brew has body and a great mouth feel. Others I was with liked more than me and continued drinking it.

The head never died and laced the glass all the way to the bottom

3.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Draft, not comfortable with clear bottles. Amber colored, small white head, thin lace left on glass. Smell of floral and sweet honey, hops is there but not overpowering. Taste is well balanced between the sweetness of malt and honey, and hoppiness. Nice sweet/bitter combination. Continued carbonation gives a smooth finish and appropriate mouthfeel. Bit of a metalic aftertaste I find in all Sleeman products. Overall a pretty good beer. Personally prefer Big Rock Honey Brown for this style.

What I would call the essence of an average beer.

Poured out a "beer" colour, with some minor red tones and a sweet nose. The flavour was mainly..."generic beer" flavour with a strong sweet tinge to it and some vague, vague rememberence of honey in it somewhere. The mouth was light and bubbly, as I would expect for a beer like this, while the drinkability was middle of the road as well.

The thing about this beer is that it does nothing particularly wrong, or particularly right. I wouldn't be offended to have one given to me, but I wouldn't ever seek it out either.

I ended up having one of these while I was in Montreal, and the other choices at the place I was eating were such luminaries as Molson EX and Labatt...which I would take this over any day. That said, the best thing I can say about Sleeman's is that they saved Unibroue, my favourite brewer, though if this is any indication of the product bearing their own name, well, I certainly won't be seeking it out in the future.

The beer decamps the clear 330ml bottle a luminous copper color with a medium sized head that frothy and light tan in color, the left over lace a thin veil upon the glass. Nose is sweet malt, crisp and clean with the start sweet and nicely malted, top is light in its feel to the palate. Finish is benignly acidic and the hops apropos to the style, a crisp refreshing beer.

2.91/5  rDev -1%

On an easy pour this lager poured out a clear copper topped by 2 fingers of off-white head. Moderate lacing ring down the glass was noted.

The nose is straightfoward and gives small indications of both the malt and light hops. The flavor is a tad sweet with minor balance from the hops. There is a slightly astringent aftertaste noted. The body is medium and lacks crispness. Overall it is an average lager beer.

2.69/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured out a copper/bronze color with a nice amount of head that stays with you a while. Smell was quite weak. Very light with some caramel and buttery tones coming through but again, very light. Taste was so-so. A little bit of malts showing through but it was quite a bit on the sweet side. A little too much sweetness in this brew. Aftertaste was just plain watery with nothing going on afterwards. Has a very thin body to it, which would drive up drinkablility somewhat for having some flavors, but the sweetness is too much for me.

2.98/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a dark brown, with red highlights. Off white head, with bad retention.

Smelled sweet, a small amount of toastiness.

Tasted sweet with a small amount of hop bitterness. Some graininess. An average tasting beer, nothing special. Crisp, light bodied. Very one dimensional.

2.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Here's a review for all of the Sleeman beers that I have tasted.
Very grainy and proud on the tongue. Perfect light golden color and strong "beer" taste. Smells like beer, tastes like beer. Nothing really stands out to make this a special drink, and unfortunately all styles are very similar. I include the cream ale, honey brown lager, silver creek lager and original dark into this review.

2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

--Came in a clear 341 ml bottle. No freshness date found. Not much for labeling, but that is standard for Sleeman.
--Poured a amber in color with a nice white head that turned into some minor lacing. Average bubbling from the bottom.
When I first tryed this beer I thought it was amazing. Then my eyes were opened to the wide world of beer and now I find this beer to be just average...and that is bieng generous. I am not sure if my bottle went bad or not but it did have a skunky smell and slightly skunky taste to it. I probably will drink it again, I am not sure why, maybe for nostalgic reasons.
Thx

3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

pours out a perfect amber colour with an off white head about a quarter inch thick. the head leaves some slight rings of lace. there are some straight up malt aromas going on...ghost like grassiness too. there is nothing bad about the taste, but there isn't anything too the taste...some slightly sweetened maltiness...i think i can detect some bit 'o honey involved, but i'm not sure. smooth crisp mouthfeel and a medium light body. a bit of bitterness in the finish. while not a great beer...it's drinkable and i could find nothing terribly wrong with it besides the boring and bland flavour profile.

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

I had a pint of this in a bar. It did not have much head, and what it had left after a little bit, leaving the beer just sitting there. A little honey in the smell, but nothing special there. The taste was sweet, with a light mouthfeel. Not much carbonation, just a slight honey taste in the beer. I did find it pretty easy to drink, although the name makes the beer sound better than it is.

2.36/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured light amber but with a nice head and lacing. That is the best part of the beer.
Aroma was faint. Slight sweet malt nose.
Taste was slight metallic. No honey whatsoever. Some sweet malt. Not very good. And I know Shoreline keeps a good clean line, so I would assume it is the beer.
Mouthfeel was water like.
Drinkability LOW.

2.71/5  rDev -7.8%

The beer pours an amber color with a white lace head. The aroma is weak and skunky. It has a lager scent, but I cannot detect any honey or crystal malt smell. The taste average at best. It has a Budweiser type taste. It is skunky, but with a slight malt underlining. It is bitter and has a mild hop flavor. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with massive carbonation. It drinks decent, but this is one that I'm sure to never buy again.

2.99/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out to a dark yellowish brown in the glass with a decent head. The aroma is not good and gives off the skunk smell associated with light struck beer. However, once you get past the smell the taste is actually quite good. There is a malty sweetness with a light hop finish that in no way would you think present based on the aroma. Easy to drink.

Sleeman Honey Brown Lager from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.