Sleeman Original Draught - Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

Sleeman Original DraughtSleeman Original Draught

poor

Sleeman Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: bmacaskill on 05-02-2005

Original Draught combines Sleeman's premium brewing heritage with the freshness and sociability of traditional draught beer. This unpasteurized lager goes down well in the company of friends.
to view more.
Ratings: 158 | Reviews: 69
Reviews by ThinkAgain:
3.3/5  rDev +18.3%

Got this on sale at a beerstore where the selection was minimal. Golden colour beer peaks through a clear and slightly frosted bottle, looking good so far. Smell is decent and minimal, not bad. Slightly malty and very clean taste. A very rounded aftertaste that is slightly sour but not at all bitter, whcih reminds me of the cream ale also in the Sleemans line-up. Its not bad as a session beer. I would imagine this one to be very drinkable on a hot summer day.

3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

20oz pint. A morbidly lovely day of meeting up on a sunny rooftop patio, with recently let-go colleagues. Beers all around, and keep 'em damned well comin'!

This beer arrives to the table in a standard American pint glass, and appears a crystal clear, pale golden colour, with two skinny fingers of thinly foamy, soapy off-white head, which leaves a surprising amount of snow rime lace around the glass as it quickly dissolves.

It smells of slightly sweet pale grain, creamed corn, stale orchard fruit, and slightly floral, even more so skunky, weedy hops. The taste is sweet, generic white grainy malt, a bit of nail polish remover, and lightly funky grassy, earthy hops.

The carbonation is on the low, inoffensive side, the body medium-light in weight, and kind of thin in any sort of smoothness it might aspire to. It finishes off-dry, somewhat acridly bitter, and still way too skunky.

A bit too mild on the real beer flavour, what with all that chemical skunk bullshit. However, I see now how this kind of thing can fly, and even turn into a stupidly decent quaff on a bright warm day, emotions being duly distracted. Otherwise, I imagine this to be rather putrid offering in a more sober kind of light of day.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nothing special, a little lace. Paler golden colour, nothing to breathe in, metallic drying lager. Drinakble though. On sweet side, and agree that its cheaper sweetners like corn and dextrose isnetad of good malting. Are Mr. Sleeman's days numbered as the head and he is in the end game?

3.69/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I purchased this beer from the Beer Store at a price around the $34 mark. I chose this beer so I could try something new then my normal Labatt Blue beer.

A: A medium golden color with a nice foamy head that disappears rather quickly. A few noticeable carbonation bubbles , but nothing that affects the look of the beer.

S: Upon opening, has a malty smell that finishes off with a slight hint of sweet pine. Pleasant enough to get my taste-buds excited, but not anywhere near an excellent smell.

T: Balanced flavours, but more on the malty side. Has a familiar taste, but also it's own bit of sweetness attached. After the beer warmed up a bit, it still maintained a decent quality, but the alcohol was more prominent.

M: Light, but strong amounts of carbonation. Has a nice smoothness to the mouth and throat when pouring in mouth. Slightly higher then normal tingling on the tongue; (probably due to the high carbonation)

OVERALL: Excellent beer for the price. I am on my 6th beer now and will continue to drink more of this. It seems to be made for a nice, hot summer day on the patio with some friends. Will recommend this beer to people if they are looking for a quality beer with a low price tag.

2.61/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - clear golden, finger of white head held at a thin covering
S - mostly corny adjunct, light grassiness, some wheat
T - very faint hops and pale malt, adjunct, a fairly standard mass produced down the throat type taste
M - light with good carbonation, fairly thin with some dryness
O - its a run of the mill pour it down your throat as fast as you can american lager, not a lot going on

2.98/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured aggressively, this beer started out with a 2 inch head, but by the time I crossed the appartment, all that was left was a bit of sticky lacing. Very clear with a golden colour, the beer looks alright, but it's nothing special.

When the head was around, it had a big grassy smell, which I thought was fairly good. Now that the head is gone though, it appears to have taken most of the smell with it. Same aroma, much less intensity, costing it some points with me.

Taste is quite grainy. It has a dry finish that reminds me of a pilsner I've had(which one? I don't remember). A fairly sweet flavour that is reminiscent of corn. High end for macros, but probably not much better than average overall.

Mouthfeel is what I expected, high carbonation(the bubbles feel extra small for some reason) and a thin, slick body.

After working in the heat, this was nice, but nothing spectacular. I will drink a few more, because I was a sucker for the free glass.

3.19/5  rDev +14.3%

A- This is darker than an adjunct laden lager....more of a nice clear golden color. There is lots of ginger ale like bubbles rising to the top...some slow, some quick. The head is very disappointing, starting out about an inch thick and a solid white shade, but it was noisy and literally fizzled out within 10-15 seconds...it doesn't leave much in it's place either. Lacing is virtually non existent as well. Not a very good looking beer anyways....

S- The aroma is pretty much what Sleeman says it is....just a mild version of it. It does have some floral aroma to it and the hop bitterness is present. Beyond this though, there is some malt richness and nothing else of note....maybe a little bit of dry prairie grass or something.

T- A general sweet profile...richer than a lager using corn or something. The hops are mildly detectable on the finish and there is a slightly syrupy aftertaste. Overall, an un-amusing flavor but it definitely isn't offensive...probably better than a lot of standard lagers out there.

M- Crisp carbonation gives this medium bodied lager some character in this department. Not much else to say here....nothing special but again, nothing that bothers me.

D- I'm gonna say that for the premium price that Sleeman usually gets, I don't think it's worth any more than the next macro...however it is super easy to down several of these!. That said, it's an average beer for the most part that's going to do the job...maybe just a slight notch above the norm. I'd drink this again if available on tap or if offered but probably won't go looking for it. Oh well!

2.97/5  rDev +6.5%

A - poured a fluffy white head - clear golden colour, little retention or lacing

S- grassy, malt, metallic

T - grassy, malt, corn, grainy, a little metallic bitter after taste

M - light body,plenty of carbonation, a little dry, bit definitely refreshing

O - drinkable but nothing special to report here

1.8/5  rDev -35.5%

Bottle: Poured a pale golden color lager with a very small amount of head and not much retention. Aroma of… well not much aroma except maybe a bit of corn. Taste is bland with again some hint of corn, some sweetness and absolutely no aftertaste. Another bland offering from this great (yeah) Canadian brewer.

2.14/5  rDev -23.3%

It appears that Sleeman has thrown its gauntlet into the Canadian summer beer market with the release of their Original Draught. I admit, I get a bit apprehensive with draught labeled lagers, from experience they seem like the watered down dregs of the main run kegs accompanied by an aggressive advertising campaign. Let's see if Sleeman has taken a higher road in this case.

As with most of their beers, this is a decent looking lager, a bright clear gold with a very thin froth of head, not much retention in that respect. Things take a bit of a dive with the aroma. The nose possesses some sweet malt with almost a sugary character to it, trying to mask out a bit of corn and boiled cabbage that lingers in the background. I admit that the first sip bodes good prospects, but things regress after that. Sugary sweet malt and corn, with a nearly sour finish accompanied by the essence of overcooked veggies. The aftertaste lingers on two levels, that of an underlying sugary sweetness, and the bitter sourness of the finish. The mouthfeel is the standard Sleeman lightly abrasive carbonation and watery body. As with most beers of this style and nature, I take it that this was meant to be drank straight out of the bottle ice cold, used solely for the function of being a hot summer weather thirst quencher. It appears to me that they have gone out of their way to boost the sweetness level of this lager, perhaps a healthy dose of extra dextrose to appeal to a younger and cross-gendered market of summer drinkers. For those out there in search of a new lawnmower or barbecue beer, you have one more option on the market now. Definitely not the worst draught beer I've sampled, but it doesn't bring that style above the rest of the flotsam either.

1.91/5  rDev -31.5%

I remember enjoying a Sleeman's Original Draught quite a while ago... Now, I can't quite remember why.

A: It looks half decent for a lager, I'll give it that. It's a nice, very slightly amber tinted yellow, a tad darker than your average macro lager (and quite a bit darker than say, a Coors or a Bud). A finger of head, barely any retention, no lacing.

S: Very light on the scent.. an average adjunct lager smell, although more subdued than most.

T: Almost non-existent! No hops, no malts, slightly chemical. Absolutely no finish. Suspiciously watery for a non-light lager..

M: Light carbonation, extremely thin and watery.

I swear, there's more flavour in my tap water. I can say without a doubt that this is the most boring macro lager I think I've ever had. This is so flavourless, so watery and so thin that I think I'd be terrified to see what Sleeman Light or Clear is all about.
However, this is a fantastic beer if you're planning on getting tuned, drinking a bunch and perhaps showing some friends how you down a pint 3 seconds flat (don't worry, there's nothing worth savoring anyways).

Did they change this beer?? I haven't drank it in quite a while, but I remember it being sweeter and more robust, it also used to be more expensive... hmm.
In any case, if you're in the mood for a cheap mass-produced brew, drink a Canadian... even a Coors Light trumps this.

2.54/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bottle came from a 12 pack I bought for my father in law. I have not had one in a while so I gave it another shot. Poured into a beer clean Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

A) Pale copper, no head retention, no lacing.

S) No hops, more corn and apples than anything, but very faint.

T) Not assertive in the flavour either. Get a lot more of that red apple character. My first sip made me think I poured some apple juice.

M) Was decent, did not taste as overly carbonated as some of the other mass brands do.

O) Not too much going on, a beer for people who don't like flavour in their beer (of which there are many!). It wasn't horrible... just too bland for my taste. The DMS was a bit of a fault though, giving it that corn aroma. I actually kind of liked the apple, reminded me of an ale a bit that way.

2.62/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Deep golden, lots of fine bubbled carbonation, 4 fingers of off white foamy head with little retention, clear filtered.

S: Malt, some wet dog, some metallic quality, a little herbal quality, some dry hay.

T: Malt forward, some dough near the end, little if any bitterness

M: Light and a little watery, very little carbonation, dry finish.

O: My Alpha Mater beer. Never had it during University, its a distinct marker of where craft beer was 20 years ago in Guelph. I could see it as an alternative to a Molson Canadian for some as its less bitter.

3.3/5  rDev +18.3%

Sleeman is my beer-nerd guilty pleasure; a brewery that produces sub-par beers that I just can't stop myself from loving. Perhaps it's their history, or perhaps it's that I was virtually raised on Sleeman, I've definitely got a soft-spot in my heart. Their beautifully crafted bottles are a joy to look at, and their brews are decent - worthy of an afternoon by the pool... So let's see how the latest full-time addition to the Sleeman line-up stands.

Part of the recent 'draft in a bottle' trend, Sleeman scores its highest marks by spelling it d-r-a-u-g-h-t... and for sticking with the traditional Sleeman bottle that is - despite the risk of sun damage - quite beautiful. Of course, surprisingly, I've never had a sun-damaged Sleeman beer, so they must be doing something right. It pours into my pint glass - perhaps surprisingly - with a fair bit more colour than your standard adjunct lager. This boy's an almost amber aura that's nice to see in a macro lager. Additionally, it's head is sizeable, and though it doesn't last long, it leaves decent lacing and maintains faint rings long after dispersal. Not bad.

Smell is what you'd expect of a Sleeman brew. Whoever classified this as all-malt is a little off (unless they know something I don't). The dominant odour is that unusual trademark Sleeman cooked vegetable odour (cabbage? carrots?) that actually sounds more unpleasant than it is (though don't get me wrong, it's not a selling point). Beyond that is a surprising malt and hop presence lacking in their other brews, though I can't really say more. Faint adjunct-y notes are well-disguised.

Taste is... well, crisp and clean - marketing buzzwords, for sure, but it's true. Very refreshing after a long day. Beyond that, there's the return of the Sleeman cooked-veggies, though it's offset by a faint grassy hoppiness. Virtually no aftertaste, though it finishes relatively dry. Nothing special, or really noteworthy, but it's tasty in a sadomasochistic kind of way, I suppose.

Mouthfeel is decent. Thankfully lacks the super-carbonation of most macros and isn't as watery, either. Two small victories. Faintly oily, though... perhaps a side effect of Sleeman's adjuncts? Drinkability, though, is off the charts. This is really a good brew for a hot afternoon when you're just tired and need to refresh. At the risk of being a BA outcast, I've drank Sleeman Original Draught from the bottle many times, usually sitting out on the front porch or after a long hot day. And once you've had one, you do really sort of crave another (again, in a sadomasochistic kind of way).

In any event, Sleeman Original Draught is worth a shot, I'd say - but I'll also admit to being terribly biased. I like Sleeman. I've always liked Sleeman - to the point where that cooked veggie flavour is something I crave. I guess I'm a little crazy, but I don't much care.

This was another of a bunch of unremarkable beers I had on a recent visit to Toronto. Not too much to say about it. It's pale in color, not much in the way of aroma. Flavor is not bad but not great either. There are other fizzy yellow beers I'd have instead of this one but I guess I'm glad I tried it.

2.93/5  rDev +5%

341ml bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - Alright, low expectation here... The beer pours a clear gold colour with a large frothy bright white head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing, and there is some faint lacing. The head stuck around for several minutes before it was gone.

Smell - a grassiness, pale malts, corn syrup, breads/grains.

Taste & Mouth - The beer could benefit from a little more carbonation, it comes across as slightly watery. AT first I can taste breads/grains, followed by a corn syrup sweetness. There is a very slight bitterness and the beer finishes with a less than memorable adjunct lager aftertaste.

Drink - I used to think this was a good beer.. Not sure what was wrong with me. I wouldn't seek it out again.

3.43/5  rDev +22.9%

Bottle from the brewery.

Served from the fridge into a Stella glass.

A: A light honey kissed straw color with a foamy white head. Head dissipates quickly after the first sip and leaves a little bit of clingy lacing.

S: Very neutral scent. Slight hops, and some bread. Not bad at all.

T: A little fuller than the average macro but only slightly. Nicely balanced and no off flavors. Im sure if I let this warm a bit however some of the adjunct properties may come into play.

M: light but not too watery. carbonation is quite high, but I suppose that is to style. lots of burps!

Overall: Could be the best Sleeman offering. Not a bad lager, but not a standout.

2.62/5  rDev -6.1%

I had this om a patio and was not very impressed with this beer.

Color was golden and the head was thin.

Smell was good, a typical lager, malt and some hop, a faint grain smell.

Taste was OK at first, a good malty taste and good bitterness. But, oh my lord what is that aftertaste? It tastes like aspirine mixed with grass. Sort of noodle soup. Not so bad that I would spit it out immediatly, but every sip was ruined by this taste. Could this be the conditions the beer has been kept under? Let''s hope so! I am going to drink some water!

2.66/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: It has a nice clear golden/yellow colour to it. It has a nice white head that dies down quite fast and has some lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of corn, bready grains and not much else.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a bready/grainy malt taste to it with corn and a slight hop presence. Typical macro taste.

Mouthfeel: It has an average carbonation with a watery and thin feel to it.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle 341ml- Pours a transparent, spakling gold body, with a frothy and long lived white head. Some lacing. Aromas are almost non existant- Some yeast, mild malty aromas, grassy. Taste is subtle in every way. Semi-sweet, bread, trace hops. Just a note to Sleeman that this is not the "coldest tasting" beer on the market. In fact, cold is not a taste! :) Cheers!

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the gold can, clear with a golden color, one inch bright white foam. Left fair amount of thin sticky lacing. The beer looks OK, but it's nothing special. Smell is quite grassy and grainy, typical of a lager. Taste is similar, grainy and somewhat sweet. It has a dry finish. Mouthfeel is alright, lots of carbonation. Alright beer, but nothing that makes you say "wow".

2.71/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I must admit this is one of those beers whose popularity among the general public I never really understood. Many of my friends swore by it in college. Even before I started regularly trying styles of beer besides adjunct lagers, I always thought it was indistinguishable from most macros, excepting the clear bottles and higher price. It has been about 6 years since I last had this, and I'm still not willing to spend the money on a six-pack to review it, but a tallboy can should do the trick.

Translucent gold colour and lots of bubbles, looks a little darker than your average macro lager. A puffy white head looks promising at first, but ultimately disappoints and fades to virtually nothing before a minute is up. Smell is decent; sweetgrass, grains and corniness.

I can't taste anything at first because the carbonation is too distracting, but afterwards the taste of corn syrup begins to rear its head. It could be barley malt, but whatever malt it is, it has a corny feel to it. There is a slight floral quality, and a combination of adjunct and hops in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light, and carbonation is high.

This isn't a drainpour, but it's not something I intend to purchase again. If I am going to drink beer that has corny adjunct flavors, I would rather spend half as much and get some Brewhouse or Lakeport, which are only marginally less-refined. Maybe I'm biased - I've never really liked the flavor of candy corn. It's a truly vile candy, and this beer emulates its flavour suspiciously well, for a style that claims to use no adjunct.

[Updated Jan. 16 2014]

I picked up another can of this for some reason, and consumed it fresh out of the fridge at a very cold temperature. Sleeman Original Draught actually isn't too bad when served in such a manner, but that's mostly because the coldness numbs your taste buds, masking some of the cardboard and corniness. My father enjoys this beer so I've had it plenty of times in the past, but I just really don't like the stuff all that much. I'd take most of the major Canadian macro lagers over this stuff, but I'll amend my earlier statement and say it's still preferable to most of the cheaper, 'value brand' lagers.

Final Grade: 2.71, a C-.

3.68/5  rDev +31.9%

Poured a 473-ml can into a draught glass.

Appearance - gold-coloured beer with mostly vanishing head. Excellent lacing for this style and slight head retention to keep it interesting.

Smell - malty, cideresque bouquet with fresh cooked veggies and cut grass.

Taste - barley malt all the way over subtle alcohol taste. Tart and refreshing finish, some corn and adjunct flavours in there as well.

Mouthfeel - smooth and balanced. There's a nice crispness to this brew.

Drinkability - good choice for an afternoon beer, OK to consume in quantity provided you pace yourself.

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Light amber appearance with disappointingly light head. Smell is faint, but grassy and grainy.

Taste very hard to detect, a bit crisp and sweet with a hint of hops. Body is light with heavy carbonation. Aftertaste is dry but a bit bitter.

This beer is light and easy to drink, but so is water. This beer has no personality, kind of disappointed this came from Sleeman. Wouldn't recommend.

2.85/5  rDev +2.2%

473mL can poured into a glass

This has always been one of my favourite domestic brews. I've never really figured out why though. Let's see what we can do...

Pours a clear dark golden hue. The head fades quickly but it left a goofy-looking dotted pattern in my glass.

Very faint aroma of grains and malt.

Taste follows the nose with absolutely no aftertaste. Some corn is present. Has a roasted quality that most other Canadian lagers sorely lack. Highly chuggable and rather tasty for a domestic.

Moderate, agreeable carbonation. Goes down like water.

Overall, drinkable and yummy. CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

to view more.
Sleeman Original Draught from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.