1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sleeman Original Draught - Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

Sleeman Original DraughtSleeman Original Draught

poor

Sleeman Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Original Draught combines Sleeman's premium brewing heritage with the freshness and sociability of traditional draught beer. This unpasteurized lager goes down well in the company of friends.

(Beer added by: bmacaskill on 05-02-2005)
4.25/5  rDev +54%

4.05/5  rDev +46.7%

Reader's Digest version: golden Canadian lager. A great beer in its class. Priced as a premium but deservedly so in the "Original/Genuine Draft/Draught" range

The essence:

Deep golden yellow. Somewhat lacy head. Moderate bubbles.

Of all the "Original/Genuine Draft/Draught" beers I've had, this is easily the best. I guessed and classed it as all-malt vs. adjunct. Sleeman's site doesn't have any info on this beer yet. It's pretty new -- I hadn't seen it before 01-May-2005.

Mild-but-pleasant nose. Slightly sweet with (very) slightly malty finish. Not hoppy at all, but that's characteristic of this style. Very pleasant aftertaste. Very clean tasting, *very* drinkable, yet full-flavoured (again, given the class of beer). I'd take one bottle of Original Draught over 12 Molson Canadian (well, under some circumstances, I guess ;-).

Very easy drinker. Definitely a repeater, and worth a taste.

3.96/5  rDev +43.5%

Buddy of mine brought me one after work one day and I was really surprised. Easy drinking beer perfect for summer. Excellent taste with a smooth finish. Bubbly for a beer with so much flavour and no aftertaste to speak of. Color isn't a huge deal for me but is appealing nonetheless. One of those beers you can drink all night.

3.68/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I purchased this beer from the Beer Store at a price around the $34 mark. I chose this beer so I could try something new then my normal Labatt Blue beer.

A: A medium golden color with a nice foamy head that disappears rather quickly. A few noticeable carbonation bubbles , but nothing that affects the look of the beer.

S: Upon opening, has a malty smell that finishes off with a slight hint of sweet pine. Pleasant enough to get my taste-buds excited, but not anywhere near an excellent smell.

T: Balanced flavours, but more on the malty side. Has a familiar taste, but also it's own bit of sweetness attached. After the beer warmed up a bit, it still maintained a decent quality, but the alcohol was more prominent.

M: Light, but strong amounts of carbonation. Has a nice smoothness to the mouth and throat when pouring in mouth. Slightly higher then normal tingling on the tongue; (probably due to the high carbonation)

OVERALL: Excellent beer for the price. I am on my 6th beer now and will continue to drink more of this. It seems to be made for a nice, hot summer day on the patio with some friends. Will recommend this beer to people if they are looking for a quality beer with a low price tag.

3.68/5  rDev +33.3%

Poured a 473-ml can into a draught glass.

Appearance - gold-coloured beer with mostly vanishing head. Excellent lacing for this style and slight head retention to keep it interesting.

Smell - malty, cideresque bouquet with fresh cooked veggies and cut grass.

Taste - barley malt all the way over subtle alcohol taste. Tart and refreshing finish, some corn and adjunct flavours in there as well.

Mouthfeel - smooth and balanced. There's a nice crispness to this brew.

Drinkability - good choice for an afternoon beer, OK to consume in quantity provided you pace yourself.

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%

Was given one of these during a promotion at a local pub.

This beer came to me with the head already subsided, but it appeared to be a yellowy-orange, not too too bad. Smelled like a standard macro, hints of corn and something else I couldn't quite identify. Taste was actually not bad at all, Surprisingly it was refreshing, and surprisingly smooth. Fairly drinkable, typical of other beers of this calibre, decent session beer, good on a hot day.

3.58/5  rDev +29.7%

I managed to test a bottle of this "draught" beer today at a local liquor store. The color was a yellow-amber with a small, quickly diminishing, white head. Surprisingly, the nose was more complex than that of the standard Sleeman offering.

Upon tasting, the beer maintained it's relative complexity, with slight floral and fruity notes. Unfortunately, the mouthfeel was disappointing, due to a fairly high carbonation. As a previous reviewer mentioned, it was similar in feel to Perrier, or maybe closer to Sanpellegrino. This seems to be typical of lagers like this.

Regardless, this is a refreshing summer beer that would be welcome in my fridge, despite my usual dislike of lagers.

3.45/5  rDev +25%

Bottle from the brewery.

Served from the fridge into a Stella glass.

A: A light honey kissed straw color with a foamy white head. Head dissipates quickly after the first sip and leaves a little bit of clingy lacing.

S: Very neutral scent. Slight hops, and some bread. Not bad at all.

T: A little fuller than the average macro but only slightly. Nicely balanced and no off flavors. Im sure if I let this warm a bit however some of the adjunct properties may come into play.

M: light but not too watery. carbonation is quite high, but I suppose that is to style. lots of burps!

Overall: Could be the best Sleeman offering. Not a bad lager, but not a standout.

3.33/5  rDev +20.7%

Got this on sale at a beerstore where the selection was minimal. Golden colour beer peaks through a clear and slightly frosted bottle, looking good so far. Smell is decent and minimal, not bad. Slightly malty and very clean taste. A very rounded aftertaste that is slightly sour but not at all bitter, whcih reminds me of the cream ale also in the Sleemans line-up. Its not bad as a session beer. I would imagine this one to be very drinkable on a hot summer day.

3.33/5  rDev +20.7%

A fair offering from Sleeman. Pours out to a medium golden yellow color with a short lived white foam head. No lacing, and a medium level of carbonation. Aromas of buttery malts are most noted, but traces of grass, bread and yeast are also present. Taste is decent; buttery malts, a touch of crisp granny smith apples, a touch of hops. Mouthfeel was acceptable, but had no distinguishing characteristics to speak of. Drinkability is fine. Not bad for an all malt lager. Worth a try.

3.3/5  rDev +19.6%

Sleeman is my beer-nerd guilty pleasure; a brewery that produces sub-par beers that I just can't stop myself from loving. Perhaps it's their history, or perhaps it's that I was virtually raised on Sleeman, I've definitely got a soft-spot in my heart. Their beautifully crafted bottles are a joy to look at, and their brews are decent - worthy of an afternoon by the pool... So let's see how the latest full-time addition to the Sleeman line-up stands.

Part of the recent 'draft in a bottle' trend, Sleeman scores its highest marks by spelling it d-r-a-u-g-h-t... and for sticking with the traditional Sleeman bottle that is - despite the risk of sun damage - quite beautiful. Of course, surprisingly, I've never had a sun-damaged Sleeman beer, so they must be doing something right. It pours into my pint glass - perhaps surprisingly - with a fair bit more colour than your standard adjunct lager. This boy's an almost amber aura that's nice to see in a macro lager. Additionally, it's head is sizeable, and though it doesn't last long, it leaves decent lacing and maintains faint rings long after dispersal. Not bad.

Smell is what you'd expect of a Sleeman brew. Whoever classified this as all-malt is a little off (unless they know something I don't). The dominant odour is that unusual trademark Sleeman cooked vegetable odour (cabbage? carrots?) that actually sounds more unpleasant than it is (though don't get me wrong, it's not a selling point). Beyond that is a surprising malt and hop presence lacking in their other brews, though I can't really say more. Faint adjunct-y notes are well-disguised.

Taste is... well, crisp and clean - marketing buzzwords, for sure, but it's true. Very refreshing after a long day. Beyond that, there's the return of the Sleeman cooked-veggies, though it's offset by a faint grassy hoppiness. Virtually no aftertaste, though it finishes relatively dry. Nothing special, or really noteworthy, but it's tasty in a sadomasochistic kind of way, I suppose.

Mouthfeel is decent. Thankfully lacks the super-carbonation of most macros and isn't as watery, either. Two small victories. Faintly oily, though... perhaps a side effect of Sleeman's adjuncts? Drinkability, though, is off the charts. This is really a good brew for a hot afternoon when you're just tired and need to refresh. At the risk of being a BA outcast, I've drank Sleeman Original Draught from the bottle many times, usually sitting out on the front porch or after a long hot day. And once you've had one, you do really sort of crave another (again, in a sadomasochistic kind of way).

In any event, Sleeman Original Draught is worth a shot, I'd say - but I'll also admit to being terribly biased. I like Sleeman. I've always liked Sleeman - to the point where that cooked veggie flavour is something I crave. I guess I'm a little crazy, but I don't much care.

3.3/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

341ml clear bottle poured in a plastic cup. Thanks to my buddy Shawn for the brew.

1/4 inch white head on the pour recedes to a thin ring around the edge. Golden yellow and clear in the bottle.

Aroma is pretty mild. Sweet with some corn and floral in the background.

Sweetness continues through into the flavour. Sweetness leads the way throughout. Some floral/petrol notes to balance after the carbonation run. Aftertaste fades quickly.

Light bodied and moderately carbonated for a macro lager.

Pretty much mild and inoffensive. No great flaws, but nothing to make you go wow. Reminds me a little of MGD. I would actually drink this again, but it's not my favourite.

3.25/5  rDev +17.8%

Sleeman Original Draught from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.