Sleeman Original Draught - Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

Sleeman Original DraughtSleeman Original Draught

poor

Sleeman Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Original Draught combines Sleeman's premium brewing heritage with the freshness and sociability of traditional draught beer. This unpasteurized lager goes down well in the company of friends.

(Beer added by: bmacaskill on 05-02-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
3.33/5  rDev +19.8%

A fair offering from Sleeman. Pours out to a medium golden yellow color with a short lived white foam head. No lacing, and a medium level of carbonation. Aromas of buttery malts are most noted, but traces of grass, bread and yeast are also present. Taste is decent; buttery malts, a touch of crisp granny smith apples, a touch of hops. Mouthfeel was acceptable, but had no distinguishing characteristics to speak of. Drinkability is fine. Not bad for an all malt lager. Worth a try.

Frozensoul327, Jul 23, 2006
3.3/5  rDev +18.7%

Sleeman is my beer-nerd guilty pleasure; a brewery that produces sub-par beers that I just can't stop myself from loving. Perhaps it's their history, or perhaps it's that I was virtually raised on Sleeman, I've definitely got a soft-spot in my heart. Their beautifully crafted bottles are a joy to look at, and their brews are decent - worthy of an afternoon by the pool... So let's see how the latest full-time addition to the Sleeman line-up stands.

Part of the recent 'draft in a bottle' trend, Sleeman scores its highest marks by spelling it d-r-a-u-g-h-t... and for sticking with the traditional Sleeman bottle that is - despite the risk of sun damage - quite beautiful. Of course, surprisingly, I've never had a sun-damaged Sleeman beer, so they must be doing something right. It pours into my pint glass - perhaps surprisingly - with a fair bit more colour than your standard adjunct lager. This boy's an almost amber aura that's nice to see in a macro lager. Additionally, it's head is sizeable, and though it doesn't last long, it leaves decent lacing and maintains faint rings long after dispersal. Not bad.

Smell is what you'd expect of a Sleeman brew. Whoever classified this as all-malt is a little off (unless they know something I don't). The dominant odour is that unusual trademark Sleeman cooked vegetable odour (cabbage? carrots?) that actually sounds more unpleasant than it is (though don't get me wrong, it's not a selling point). Beyond that is a surprising malt and hop presence lacking in their other brews, though I can't really say more. Faint adjunct-y notes are well-disguised.

Taste is... well, crisp and clean - marketing buzzwords, for sure, but it's true. Very refreshing after a long day. Beyond that, there's the return of the Sleeman cooked-veggies, though it's offset by a faint grassy hoppiness. Virtually no aftertaste, though it finishes relatively dry. Nothing special, or really noteworthy, but it's tasty in a sadomasochistic kind of way, I suppose.

Mouthfeel is decent. Thankfully lacks the super-carbonation of most macros and isn't as watery, either. Two small victories. Faintly oily, though... perhaps a side effect of Sleeman's adjuncts? Drinkability, though, is off the charts. This is really a good brew for a hot afternoon when you're just tired and need to refresh. At the risk of being a BA outcast, I've drank Sleeman Original Draught from the bottle many times, usually sitting out on the front porch or after a long hot day. And once you've had one, you do really sort of crave another (again, in a sadomasochistic kind of way).

In any event, Sleeman Original Draught is worth a shot, I'd say - but I'll also admit to being terribly biased. I like Sleeman. I've always liked Sleeman - to the point where that cooked veggie flavour is something I crave. I guess I'm a little crazy, but I don't much care.

headlessparrot, Jul 07, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured a bright golden yellow with a finger of white head. Many tiny bubbles rapidly raise to the top. The head stays around for a while before becoming a lace. Pretty good look for a Macro.

Standard smelling with all the well known ingredients in there (corn, hops, etc). Still, nothing wrong with this ones smell.

Very bland tasting. The characteristics of the smell are barely in there, and it finishes with hardly any aftertaste.

Far too over-carbonated mouthfeel. Very thin on the palate, and goes down relatively easy.

Probably one of the better Sleeman beers, but still nothing special. Maybe something I'd consider on a hot summer day, because its reasonably priced and isn't anything horrible.

jayc333, Mar 27, 2006
2.88/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours clear gold, a touch darker than the average macro lager. The ivory head quickly reduces to a thin cap that doesnt dissappear. Webs of lacing trail the retreating miniscus. The aroma is limp in malt and hops and decidedly corny. This tastes better than the smell. Caramel malt and biscuits make an appearance, if a fleeting one. Hops are herbal and flowery and very low strength. The mouthfeel is full and well carbonated (not too harsh). The finish is light malt with an edge of bitter hops.

This is definitely a cut above Blue, Labatts, or Bud. It actually has a finish and discernable hop flavors. Still its pretty insipid and I wouldnt pay for it.

CAMRAhardliner, Feb 15, 2006
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the gold can, clear with a golden color, one inch bright white foam. Left fair amount of thin sticky lacing. The beer looks OK, but it's nothing special. Smell is quite grassy and grainy, typical of a lager. Taste is similar, grainy and somewhat sweet. It has a dry finish. Mouthfeel is alright, lots of carbonation. Alright beer, but nothing that makes you say "wow".

BigBry, Feb 06, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a beer I wouldn't normally buy a 12 of, but the girfriend's dad had some on hand at Christmas....

Poured into a Mug, Big Frothy head, lots of carbonation and and a pale clear yellow.... Just like an MGD, or any other Macro Lager. The nose has a corn skunkiness and smells soapy...

The taste is just not good... all cheap vegetable malts, a bit sweet, not much in the way of bitterness, just a rancid corn mash skunkiness...oh Sleeman's, what have you done here? This is as bad as any other cheap American Macro-Lager... Oh well, I didn't buy it... Mouthfeel is good and carbonated, sticks to the throat, but I can't get over the taste...

trevorwideman, Dec 25, 2005
3.6/5  rDev +29.5%

Was given one of these during a promotion at a local pub.

This beer came to me with the head already subsided, but it appeared to be a yellowy-orange, not too too bad. Smelled like a standard macro, hints of corn and something else I couldn't quite identify. Taste was actually not bad at all, Surprisingly it was refreshing, and surprisingly smooth. Fairly drinkable, typical of other beers of this calibre, decent session beer, good on a hot day.

funkengruven, Nov 27, 2005
1.78/5  rDev -36%

Bottle: Poured a pale golden color lager with a very small amount of head and not much retention. Aroma of… well not much aroma except maybe a bit of corn. Taste is bland with again some hint of corn, some sweetness and absolutely no aftertaste. Another bland offering from this great (yeah) Canadian brewer.

Phyl21ca, Oct 26, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

Medium gold in colour with a fairly average amount of carbonation. An unpasturized beer in a can??? Hmmmm... It’s got some nice honey malt aroma, which conflicts with the other dominant aromatic note: a kind of veggie hop thing that reminds me of an all-spalt homebrew that my homebrew club made for our hop varietals tasting event. The flavor is somewhat akin to their honey brown lager, only with less of a nutty taste, and more of a solvent chemical note. The cloying finish of the honey brown is also still apparent in this beer. This is not one of their better efforts.

fisherman34, Oct 18, 2005

Poured aggressively, this beer started out with a 2 inch head, but by the time I crossed the appartment, all that was left was a bit of sticky lacing. Very clear with a golden colour, the beer looks alright, but it's nothing special.

When the head was around, it had a big grassy smell, which I thought was fairly good. Now that the head is gone though, it appears to have taken most of the smell with it. Same aroma, much less intensity, costing it some points with me.

Taste is quite grainy. It has a dry finish that reminds me of a pilsner I've had(which one? I don't remember). A fairly sweet flavour that is reminiscent of corn. High end for macros, but probably not much better than average overall.

Mouthfeel is what I expected, high carbonation(the bubbles feel extra small for some reason) and a thin, slick body.

After working in the heat, this was nice, but nothing spectacular. I will drink a few more, because I was a sucker for the free glass.

elricorico, Aug 04, 2005
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nothing special, a little lace. Paler golden colour, nothing to breathe in, metallic drying lager. Drinakble though. On sweet side, and agree that its cheaper sweetners like corn and dextrose isnetad of good malting. Are Mr. Sleeman's days numbered as the head and he is in the end game?

Sammy, Jul 22, 2005
3.58/5  rDev +28.8%

I managed to test a bottle of this "draught" beer today at a local liquor store. The color was a yellow-amber with a small, quickly diminishing, white head. Surprisingly, the nose was more complex than that of the standard Sleeman offering.

Upon tasting, the beer maintained it's relative complexity, with slight floral and fruity notes. Unfortunately, the mouthfeel was disappointing, due to a fairly high carbonation. As a previous reviewer mentioned, it was similar in feel to Perrier, or maybe closer to Sanpellegrino. This seems to be typical of lagers like this.

Regardless, this is a refreshing summer beer that would be welcome in my fridge, despite my usual dislike of lagers.

peterthepiper, Jul 09, 2005
2.88/5  rDev +3.6%

Is this one of Sleeman's limited edition beers? Like that awful porter? If so, I might stock up on this. It's not bad. Not good, but not bad. Pours a gold colour, with a small, half finger head. Which, does last. What a surprise. Smells bready, malty, and sweet. With no skunk smell I was expecting. Whew. Their is a bit of a corn husk smell, but not alot. Basically, their is a corn smell, but not that sickening corn syrup. Taste is bready and sweet. And simple. I doubt their are many, if any, hops used. But, it is a sweet, somewhat refreshing lager. A lawnmower beer. Mouthfeel is a bit overcarbonated and watery. Reminded me of Perrier. Drinkable? Yes. I'll drink it again. I may even buy it again. But only if on sale.

slitherySOB, Jul 08, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Gold colored...hard pour gives you a white frothy cap that retains well with a fair lace left on the glass sides...skunky cabbage kind of smell malty but with a wierd odor....like a skunky Becks but vgital. Moderate to low carbonation. Smooth mouth feel but watery. Some biscuit malt..slightly sweet but also some veggies....attenuated hops...wet abrupt finish. Very forgettable.

pootz, Jun 04, 2005
2.42/5  rDev -12.9%

Okay, what am I drinking? Maybe it was all the rich italian food and the GI IPA earlier, but I can't really taste much. Looks okay: gold colour, fair white head. Smell is not impressive: sort of like stale water used to boil veggies. Taste is bland, corn mash -uninspired, watery and not that great.

I didn't want to spend the money ona six pack of this, so I bought a single. I really should have grabbed one of my dad's after all and saved myself the two dollars.

BDTyre, Jun 02, 2005
2.13/5  rDev -23.4%

It appears that Sleeman has thrown its gauntlet into the Canadian summer beer market with the release of their Original Draught. I admit, I get a bit apprehensive with draught labeled lagers, from experience they seem like the watered down dregs of the main run kegs accompanied by an aggressive advertising campaign. Let's see if Sleeman has taken a higher road in this case.

As with most of their beers, this is a decent looking lager, a bright clear gold with a very thin froth of head, not much retention in that respect. Things take a bit of a dive with the aroma. The nose possesses some sweet malt with almost a sugary character to it, trying to mask out a bit of corn and boiled cabbage that lingers in the background. I admit that the first sip bodes good prospects, but things regress after that. Sugary sweet malt and corn, with a nearly sour finish accompanied by the essence of overcooked veggies. The aftertaste lingers on two levels, that of an underlying sugary sweetness, and the bitter sourness of the finish. The mouthfeel is the standard Sleeman lightly abrasive carbonation and watery body. As with most beers of this style and nature, I take it that this was meant to be drank straight out of the bottle ice cold, used solely for the function of being a hot summer weather thirst quencher. It appears to me that they have gone out of their way to boost the sweetness level of this lager, perhaps a healthy dose of extra dextrose to appeal to a younger and cross-gendered market of summer drinkers. For those out there in search of a new lawnmower or barbecue beer, you have one more option on the market now. Definitely not the worst draught beer I've sampled, but it doesn't bring that style above the rest of the flotsam either.

IronDjinn, May 22, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +45.7%

Reader's Digest version: golden Canadian lager. A great beer in its class. Priced as a premium but deservedly so in the "Original/Genuine Draft/Draught" range

The essence:

Deep golden yellow. Somewhat lacy head. Moderate bubbles.

Of all the "Original/Genuine Draft/Draught" beers I've had, this is easily the best. I guessed and classed it as all-malt vs. adjunct. Sleeman's site doesn't have any info on this beer yet. It's pretty new -- I hadn't seen it before 01-May-2005.

Mild-but-pleasant nose. Slightly sweet with (very) slightly malty finish. Not hoppy at all, but that's characteristic of this style. Very pleasant aftertaste. Very clean tasting, *very* drinkable, yet full-flavoured (again, given the class of beer). I'd take one bottle of Original Draught over 12 Molson Canadian (well, under some circumstances, I guess ;-).

Very easy drinker. Definitely a repeater, and worth a taste.

bmacaskill, May 02, 2005
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Sleeman Original Draught from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.